16.04.13

Carey Mulligan for Vogue US May 2013

Carey Mulligan for Vogue US May 2013

We should not be surprised to see a Great-Gatsby-inspired American Vogue cover featuring Carey Mulligan hit the newsstands just before the movie’s release on May 10.

The British actress channels her inner Daisy Buchanan for the May 2013 cover – which was captured by Mario Testino – wearing an Oscar de la Renta Fall 2012 chartreuse gown and dripping with roaring-twenties-inspired jewels, courtesy of Tiffany & Co.

The rest of her editorial includes pieces from Miu Miu, Nina Ricci, Christian Dior, Chanel, plus my favourite – Alexander McQueen.

In the magazine, Carey talks about the movie and how she prepared for the role.

The Vogue May 2013 issue hits newsstands on April 23.

You can read more over at Vogue or read the extracts below.

On waiting to find out if she had got the role: “I was trying to be cool, but oh, it was horrible. It was terrifying, the suspense. I was winding down on shooting ‘Drive’, so I wasn’t working that much, just waiting around for the phone to ring and for me to be disappointed.”

On making the Great Gatsby: “It was crazy and exhausting and quite overwhelming… the biggest, craziest production I’ve ever been involved in.”

On her good fortune in Hollywood: “It’s unsettling that you get exactly what you wanted. Not like some version of it, not a slightly lesser version of it, but exactly. You’re like: This is weird. It is weird.”

Credit: Mario Testino for Vogue

Who Wore Christian Dior Better...Sun Li or Pixie Lott?

Who Wore Christian Dior Better…Sun Li or Pixie Lott?

Taylor Swift's Elizabeth and James 'Roxy' Dress And Jean-Michel Cazabat 'Orla' Sandals

Taylor Swift’s Elizabeth and James ‘Roxy’ Dress And Jean-Michel Cazabat ‘Orla’ Sandals

26 Responses to Carey Mulligan for Vogue US May 2013

1. Rashmi April 16, 2013 at 11:38 #

Wow, the editorial is classy and rich!
    Waiting for the movie ;)

• adrian April 16, 2013 at 22:12 #

• Christine April 16, 2013 at 23:36 #

Love the editorial shoot.

2. Yeliz April 16, 2013 at 11:41 #

Carey looks stunning. I love this editorial, but that’s maybe because I love the 20ies so much. I can’t wait to finally see the movie.

3. Kathy April 16, 2013 at 11:44 #

What a BREATHTAKING cover. The dress is absolutely gorgeous, as is the rest of the editorial. This is extravagance to the max, and I couldn’t be more pleased. I haven’t been this excited about a Vogue cover since Kate Moss in September 2011!

4. Louise April 16, 2013 at 11:55 #

This is not a particularly flattering cover. Anna Wintour always seems to pick the least flattering shots from the shoot for the cover. At least for the last few months anyway. The make-up just does not suit Carey at all and in fact the colouring of the dress and jewellery aren’t doing it for her, or me, either. Some pretty frocks in the editorial but I hope Carey’s make-up is better in the movie.

5. miriam younes April 16, 2013 at 12:01 #

amazing love ittt

6. Denise April 16, 2013 at 12:03 #

She is a 2O’s girl! This dress is stunning on her, the colour is amazing and the headpiece. The rest of the looks were beautiful too, but I think the cover is the best!!

7. Alicat April 16, 2013 at 13:35 #

What an amazing editorial. Gorgeous gowns, dreamy settings and beautiful photography. Ms Mulligan really suits the 20s style. My favourite gown would have to be the beaded Alexander McQueen. Any of the shots could be on the cover.

8. Alicat April 16, 2013 at 13:44 #

What an amazing editorial. Gorgeous gowns, dreamy settings and beautiful photography. I love the beaded Alexander McQueen the most. Any of the shots could be the cover.

9. dee April 16, 2013 at 14:10 #

Love this photoshoot. I love this era of fashion. my favorite is the Nina Ricci gown and photo. She looks incredible.

10. EmmaWoodhouse April 16, 2013 at 14:25 #

The cover shot I don’t like, the makeup looks so aging and the dress is harsh and too lowcut. The makeup on some of the inner shots was aging too, and I didn’t like the Dior (too low-cut) but other than that, OH MY GOSH! What a stunning editorial! The Alexander McQueen took my breath away, the Chanels were perfect and the Miu Miu was beautiful. The Ricci and Oscar were very elegant. This was a delight!

• NooG April 16, 2013 at 18:58 #

• NooG April 16, 2013 at 18:58 #

• McKenzie April 16, 2013 at 21:44 #

+2. Not a fan of the cover, but love all the others.

11. Kat April 16, 2013 at 14:31 #

This is a breath-taking spread. It’s amazing how they managed to create a very strong 20′s vibe using contemporary fashion (and without resorting to flapper stereotypes).

12. Emmeline April 16, 2013 at 14:37 #

What an absolutely gorgeous spread! I’m honestly not sure I could pick which look is my favorite.

I’m so excited to see Carey promoting this movie, especially since she’s working with Ryan Hastings now. I hope he has some amazing things lined up for her.

13. Betty Brandenburg April 16, 2013 at 15:05 #

Gorgeous dresses, and very suitable for her… but why on earth is she covering her head in tin foil????

14. Tina April 16, 2013 at 16:19 #

Absolutely breaktaking editorial! Loooved the Chanel dresses (especially the blue one)and the Nina Ricci. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I don’t remember the last time I was this impressed by an editorial. Makeup is a little too much, but other than that the photographs are amaaaazing!

15. NooG April 16, 2013 at 19:00 #

16. jeremyrain April 16, 2013 at 20:14 #

Honestly I don’t get why people are so hyped up with this girl. I find she’s quite boring. Both from her style, her personality and her acting (although I admit I do like her in “An Education”). I wonder how long she will fade away like countless “Vogue” girls…

17. bas April 16, 2013 at 21:04 #

I actually thing the cover photo is the worst of the editorial. I also think that Mischelle Williams would have worked better for this character, but still I’m anxious to see the movie!

18. pipsqueak April 17, 2013 at 07:21 #

Your good fortune is not weird, Carey. You are special! For starters, you can act. You’re also incredibly witty, articulate and genuine when you speak. Last but not least, you have a unique look – a young Mia Farrow except prettier and less fragile. You’ve certainly done a few right things to adapt to the Hollywood standards. I love all these looks – stunning. I downloaded them all from Grace Coddington’s FB page. Look forward my Vogue and the movie!!!

• Milla B. April 18, 2013 at 21:42 #

+ 1

19. Neli April 18, 2013 at 15:04 #

Awful cover! The editorial is pretty but boring.

20. dreamz May 3, 2013 at 06:49 #

Wrong information..this lime green gown is from Oscar de la Renta Fall 2013 Collection.