Andrea Riseborough In Rochas – ‘Oblivion’ Rio de Janeiro Premiere

Andrea Riseborough In Rochas - ‘Oblivion’ Rio de Janeiro Premiere

Andrea Riseborough joined Olga Kurylenko on the red carpet for the ‘Oblivion’ Rio de Janeiro premiere, held at the Cine Odeon Petrobras yesterday evening.

After stunning in Elie Saab Couture, my heart sank a little when I saw her in this Rochas Spring 2013 dress.

Firstly, I’ve never been a fan of brown dresses on the red carpet. It rarely works for me.

Secondly, it instantly reminded me of the Rochas Fall 2012 dress which Emma Stone wore during her ‘Spider-Man’ Tokyo premiere – a dress I also didn’t like.

I would’ve much preferred it had Andrea worn Look 35, the floral version of her dress. The colours are more appealing and would’ve made a greater impact for me.

On the plus side, I do love the style of the corseted dress, and the yellow shoes are heavenly.

Do you have an aversion to brown dresses on the red carpet like I do?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Freida Pinto In Proenza Schouler - Net-A-Porter & Proenza Schouler Exclusive Capsule Collection Dinner Party Launch

Freida Pinto In Proenza Schouler – Net-A-Porter & Proenza Schouler Exclusive Capsule Collection Dinner Party Launch

Saoirse Ronan In Proenza Schouler -  'The Host' New York Screening

Saoirse Ronan In Proenza Schouler – ‘The Host’ New York Screening

24 Responses to Andrea Riseborough In Rochas – ‘Oblivion’ Rio de Janeiro Premiere

1. Iris March 28, 2013 at 13:09 #

Brown is a really awful colour. I can’t think of anyone, any complexion that it flatters. And this is an especially awful shade, a sort of muddy nothingness.

• adrian March 28, 2013 at 20:07 #

2. Rashmi March 28, 2013 at 13:11 #

Why didn’t she wear the colored printed one :(
    This is way too bland, nothing is great except the shoe and dress combi!

3. Hermoine March 28, 2013 at 13:23 #

It looks like a really cheap prom dress a Texas teen would wear. Throw in some big hair and it’s date night!!

4. Christine March 28, 2013 at 13:23 #

I don’t like the dress. The color brown rarely works on the red carpet in dress form.

5. Molly March 28, 2013 at 13:27 #

If she’d worn the much-better floral so we were less distracted by the brown, we’d be moaning about her hair. It’s just sitting there. The dress deserves more.

• Anj March 28, 2013 at 16:30 #

I looked at this and asked myself, is she serious?? How could she pick that color over the runway version? I’m also not a fan of the makeup in addition to the hair. Everything here is bland, head to toe.

6. gurlygurl March 28, 2013 at 13:27 #

Wow, this could not be any more wrong. It’s a crime against fashion :( seeing it next to that bold and striking red & blue floral version just makes it worse.

7. Anne March 28, 2013 at 13:29 #

I adore the runway version, so the brown choice is especially bad put up against it side-by-side. It’s a shame b/c this is a great style on her.

Off-topic, but she strikingly resembles Jennifer Lawrence in this photo.

8. Ellie March 28, 2013 at 13:29 #

I like it :) I did not have any opinion on brown dresses and I think it’s original! I love the association of the two colours.
    Andrea is really picking strong looks :)

• Cass March 29, 2013 at 02:21 #

• Parvati March 30, 2013 at 19:32 #

I also really like the two colors together!

9. AnderBoBo March 28, 2013 at 13:46 #

The dress totally lost it’s mojo, personality and whimsy in that horrid “mud puddle” color, who thought that would be a good idea?!

10. Yeliz March 28, 2013 at 13:50 #

I like the runway version but not the brown version. I love her shoes.

11. Rebecca Z March 28, 2013 at 15:24 #

I love brown, but this brown is not great. The print would have been much more flattering for her. It is a cute dress and I like the shoes. she needs to learn to do something with her hair.

12. Lee March 28, 2013 at 16:19 #

I don’t know, on first look I liked it, especially with the yellow shoes. I thought her hair and skin color is good with this brown. I do wish she’d done something better with her hair than draping it over her shoulders, a loose updo would set off the great shape of the dress better.

13. Leo March 28, 2013 at 18:17 #

Terrible choice of dress. I also have something against brown dresses. Andrea was really bringin’ her A game for the WE premieres and after that, what happened? Did working with Tom Crazy suck all the fun and glam out of her?

14. EmmaWoodhouse March 28, 2013 at 23:21 #

A rich chocolate brown in velvet or silk jersey can be lovely, but this muddy brown taffeta? Ugh. Why didn’t she stick with the runway look? Also she should have done something with her hair…basically the yellow shoes are all that’s good.

15. Sharon March 29, 2013 at 01:06 #

I really dislike the color brown in almost any setting, but particularly in clothing. What an awful thing to do to a pretty dress.

16. Jess2 March 29, 2013 at 11:29 #

I haven’t really decided on brown dresses on the red carpet but I don’t like it on this occasion. I think the runway version would have been great. I don’t think the fabric works well with the silhouette either unfortunately. The shoes however are a fantastic choice!

17. Noemi March 29, 2013 at 13:30 #

I really dislike brown in general, so I totally dislike this. The runway version is beautiful, what a pity she went for such a ugly color.

18. Caitlin March 30, 2013 at 06:40 #

When I was in primary school, we had a rivalry with a school across the road who wore a brown and yellow uniform – so of course we referred to them as the “poo and wee” school.
    Immature perhaps, but that’s what this brown dress and yellow shoes combination reminds me of.

19. Kathy March 30, 2013 at 17:46 #

Everything she wears, it’s like, one simple change could have fixed the entire look. Why did she have to go with this drab brown version of the dress?