24.05.12

Kate Upton In Louis Vuitton – amfAR’s Cinema Against Aids Gala 2012

Kate Upton made her Cannes Film Festival debut at amfAR’s Cinema Against Aids Gala this evening in Cap D’Antibes, France.

In one of the evening’s most dramatic looks, the model appeared in a black-and-blue basket-weave Louis Vuitton gown.

The intricately-designed dress makes quite the statement with a three-tiered pouf skirt.

Perhaps desperate to make her mark on the fashion crowd, Kate tried to play up the aristocracy of the ball gown with a Marie Antoinette-esque updo, which ended up looking more pageant queen.

Clunky black heels and diamond Louis Vuitton jewelry accessorized the ambitious look.

Did she pull it off?

Credit: Getty

amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala Red Carpet Roundup

amfAR Cinema Against Aids Gala Red Carpet Roundup

Julianna Margulies In L'Wren Scott - amfAR’s Cinema Against Aids Gala

Julianna Margulies In L’Wren Scott – amfAR’s Cinema Against Aids Gala

32 Responses to Kate Upton In Louis Vuitton – amfAR’s Cinema Against Aids Gala 2012

1. Riley May 24, 2012 at 22:04 #

I like everything but the shoes and hair. I simple classy updo would’ve brought this look up many notches.

2. Jennifer May 24, 2012 at 22:07 #

Dislike now that I see it closer up. When she was photographed from behind and glancing back I liked it… but this… eh not so much. Totally right on the hair FC.

I am really missing Fan from last year. She was everywhere, with constant amazing looks. This year Cannes has lost the sparkle it had of the past few years. (And the celebs to a degree? Last year it felt like constant celebs who brought it with their clothes!)

3. pepe May 24, 2012 at 22:08 #

definitely Marc doesn’t know how to do a good dress, we saw a lot the few past days and any of them has the wow factor

4. Matt R May 24, 2012 at 22:10 #

The hair really doesn’t bug me, but the three-tiered poufs do. I think I would have liked it more if the patchwork went all the down, had a slight train and it were belted. Not bad for her first time at Cannes though.

Thanks for all the updates FC

• Rebecca Z May 24, 2012 at 22:40 #

Ditto–on all this.

5. Yeliz May 24, 2012 at 22:12 #

No, she didn’t pull it off.

6. Dhppy May 24, 2012 at 22:18 #

Unless they’re doing a remake of Designing Women and she’s vying for the Delta Burke role, this was a bad move.

7. Aigerim May 24, 2012 at 22:23 #

Too heavy for her body. It doesn’t suit her at all

8. Christine May 24, 2012 at 22:39 #

Who is she? A VS model?

I’m sorry the dress looks a bit comical on her.

• Nat39 May 24, 2012 at 22:54 #

The whole presentation looks comical to me.

• lily May 25, 2012 at 02:35 #

I think more to Sports Illustrated models than VS<i heard she does VS too but never see her,idk. She's pretty though.

9. Hannah May 24, 2012 at 23:10 #

I don’t hate this as much as I think I should. I think that it is good given what I have seen her before, btu tstill not great.
    The hair just looking like it has been swept by the wind to one side. Sleeker presentation, better heels & better lining would have made it a lot better IMO.
    Also, she was at the ‘On the Road’ Premiere, I think, so I guess this isn’t technically her debut at Cannes?

10. EmmaWoodhouse May 24, 2012 at 23:15 #

I don’t like this at all. It is SOOOO pageant queenish, as you said. I think it’s a very over-the-top and kind of clunky, heavy look. Not the classiness that should be at Cannes.

11. asherlev1 May 24, 2012 at 23:32 #

I’ll just be alone in my corner loving this. It’s kind of costume-y and I love the color and the texture of the dress. Honestly, maybe I’m biased because it looks a lot like something you would see coming down a Project Runway runway, and that might be part of why I’m amiable to this look.

Even her hair works for me. I don’t know, I just like it!

• P. May 25, 2012 at 02:47 #

DITTO!
      The dress is a show-stopping piece, she should’ve worn it at the Met Ball. It would be a completely knock out. The hair is a bit meh, but it does not stop my love for the overall look. I think she did pull it off

• Alina May 25, 2012 at 13:25 #

I’ll join you.

12. rita May 25, 2012 at 00:28 #

No she doesn’t.

13. J May 25, 2012 at 00:32 #

This dress leaves me cold.

14. CTgirl May 25, 2012 at 01:02 #

This is so bargain basement looking in my opinion. The overly fluffed hair, the strange fit in the bodice, etc. Not a look that sings to me.

15. Jess2 May 25, 2012 at 02:03 #

To begin with I thought the dress wasn’t lined because of how the lining was sitting. I liked this look at some angles and didn’t like it at others. I think the dress is cool but overall I don’t think that Kate is pulling this off. The contrast between the edginess of the dress and the romantic hair and makeup is too jarring for me.

16. Elaine May 25, 2012 at 02:26 #

This is your first time to feature Kate upton! Is there areason for this?

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 08:40 #

Because this site focuses on fashion and she was at a fashion event.

Look I don’t know anything about her. I live in the UK don’t forget.

My US contributor did this post. All I know about her is that she paid her way into the Met Gala.

From the comments it appears that she’s not very well liked. That is news to me as from today.

17. kim May 25, 2012 at 04:10 #

Downmarket. The casting agent at Victoria’s Secret was completely correct. No wonder Anna made her pay her own money to go to the Met Gala.

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 08:35 #

She’s a VS model? wow. Gisele she aint

18. Incroyable May 25, 2012 at 05:32 #

No she does not pull it off, but it isn’t her fault, that dress is absolutely vile. Why was this monstrosity made? Her awful hair didn’t help either.

P.S. Who is Kate Upton and why do I keep seeing her name and face? Is he Clooney’s new temp?

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2012 at 08:34 #

“P.S. Who is Kate Upton and why do I keep seeing her name and face?” – i want to know too. I googled her and she appears to be a swimsuit model

19. A. May 25, 2012 at 08:03 #

She almost pulled it off. The gown would have looked so much better without the straps.

20. Mimmi May 25, 2012 at 11:07 #

I don’t think this type of dress suits her persona. She’s not a high fashion model, so I don’t really see her in something this edgy and avantgarde:ish. It feels like she’s trying to hard and it just looks bad to me. She should just stick to lowcut bodycon dresses instead :P

21. dee May 25, 2012 at 13:18 #

I don’t like this gown.

22. Lou May 25, 2012 at 23:46 #

No – awful dress!

23. taksi May 26, 2012 at 06:05 #

I like it! She does have a very 80s look and I think they’re kinda playing on that.

24. Noodles May 26, 2012 at 20:45 #

Good lord, she looks hideous. That dress is disgusting. WTF is this Mr Jacobs!!!???