Natalie Portman In Vintage Christian Dior – 2012 Oscars

Last year’s ‘Best Actress’ winner, Natalie Portman returned to the red carpet at the 2012 Oscars in Hollywood this evening.

Natalie has stayed relatively low-key since her 2011 Oscar win to focusing on her new family.

You would never know that Nat just had her first child months ago, as she looked stunning this 1954 Christian Dior Haute Couture vintage gown.

As the face of Miss Dior Cherie perfume, it’s no shock that Natalie donned Dior for Hollywood’s biggest night.

Wearing this red strapless gown with subtle polka dot detail, I completely see the Audrey Hepburn comparison that has followed Natalie for her entire career.

Statement diamond jewels and bouncy hair complete the retro-inspired look.

Credit: Getty

37 thoughts on “Natalie Portman In Vintage Christian Dior – 2012 Oscars

1. Elle

Hmmm, she is drop dead beautiful, but I feel like this gown and look overall is aging her. Having her hair up and sleek would have helped this look a lot I think.

2. Ramsay

Lovely – and polka dot is not easy to wear on the red carpet especially at the academy awards – hair, make up, diamonds all perfect

1. EmmaWoodhouse

+1! She looks so gorgeous. I am really getting the Audrey Hepburn references, as FC said! Natalie works this vintage gown perfectly. :) She was one of my favorites!

3. Jones19

I like this picture of her better than what I saw on TV. The dress looked too voluminous on her there but it looks just right in this picture. Love it.

4. Shaina

I really dislike this look. It just looks cheap to me and I know Natalie can do better. It feels forced, it seems that she just really wanted to wear something to represent Dior but it didn’t work. Too bad, her hair and makeup look amazing.

1. DP

I was actually wondering if she perhaps wore vintage Dior because she didn’t want to wear John Galliano for Dior. Because of her Dior contract it’s possible she had to wear it, but she has been very outspoken against him because of his anti-semitism and perhaps as she’s Jewish she flat out refused. It’s just speculation but it crossed my mind.

5. Talita

Not a big fan of this hairstyle. It looks like too much hairspray for my taste. And the necklace isn’t a good match.

6. Carla

Not surprised she went with vintage; I imagine she does have an obligation to Dior, though she’d surely want to avoid any association with Galliano and his anti-Semitism, which she spoke out against.

She is, however, always a snooze for me.

7. asherlev1

Bouncy hair? This look fell as flat for me as her hair, to be honest. I’m still waiting to fall in love with a look of hers as much as I fell for her 2006 Golden Globes look

8. Leti

I love the gown, and she is beautiful, as always. However, there’s something off about the lipstick shade for me, and I find the hair a little lackluster. Was she going for Veronica Lake hair?

1. Kennedy

I feel the same way. It’s really limp- needs some volume! She is very beautiful but I feel like she isn’t really working this gown. I think someone like Charlize could work the hell out of this gown but Natalie puts off such a meek and innocent vibe- I don’t know, it doesn’t suit her perfectly.

9. molly

Pretty but it doesnt fit well around the bust and she looks smaller than usual. I dont care for her hair or that necklace. The dress is beautiful though.

10. Emerico

Natalie is my dream woman, so she can do no wrong. Admittedly my biased eyes can never find much fault with her, so I think that she looks divine here, as always. Such a delicate, classic beauty and this is the perfect gown to highlight that.

Having said that, her choice of jewelry could have been better. I think the diamonds are too blingy and harsh for such a sweet, vintage look. Some art deco jewelry, perhaps with pearls in it, would have been the perfect choice. And if she had chosen to style her hair in a chic up-do a la Audrey in Breakfast at Tiffanys, I would have really died and gone to heaven.

11. Aline

I don’t usually like what Natalie wears, so I was very pleased to see her wearing this dress. Red definitely is her color. That said, her hair loks really greasy.

12. anne

I feel like it’s very understated for this event, but then again i feel very let down by the choices the actresses made this year. Everybody was just ok, nothing to get excited about, just like Nathalie here.

13. Amy

I’ve seen Nathalie in better dresses but I have to give her credits for wearing polka dots to Oscars, it’s a refreshing move especially with all those nude and black dresses

14. AngiesRightLegFail

Where did she get that dress? Aren’t those supposed to be brittle if they’re from the 50′s?

15. Nat

The dress is cute and I love me some vintage, but honestly, the fit was not so great, expecially on her breast area.

16. Camille

Understated and pretty. The jewelry is divine and Natalie is just so very pretty. Vintage but not costume like. Not her best, but very pretty.

17. andrea

I would have hated this dress on anybody else. She looks stunning here! She exudes such class and glamour. *sigh*

18. karen

OMG – look at the two old women in blue behind Natalie. They look so trashy that Natalie’s simple, rural (with diamonds!) chic looks classy.

19. Sandra

^ I’m so tired of seeing Rodarte on Natalie, personally.

I’m not a fan of Natalie, but she was by far and away and without a shadow of doubt my absolute best dressed of evening. Polka dots can easily look too playful for a severe event like the Oscars, but she carries the dress with all the necessary grace. The diamond necklace is the perfect accessory here, and the hair and make-up flawlessly “mature” the look without crossing over to aging.