27.02.12

Melissa McCarthy In Marina Rinaldi – 2012 Oscars

‘Best Supporting Actress’ nominee Melissa McCarthy walked the red carpet in Hollywood this evening for the 2012 Oscars.

The breakout star of ‘Bridesmaids’ donned a Custom Marina Rinaldi dress.

The sienna rose silk chiffon goddess gown featured a pleated bodice attached to a hand-embroidered crystal collar and waist.

Brian Atwood and Melissa have been friends since high-school, so he custom-made her some ‘Wagner’ peep toe shoes with a personalized sole, encrusted with Swarovski crystals.

These lust-worthy heels were matched with a custom Brian Atwood Concy minaudiere, also encrusted with Swarovski crystals.

As if that wasn’t enough bling, Melissa accessorized with Chopard jewelry.

Credit: Getty

Kristen Wiig In J. Mendel - 2012 Oscars

Kristen Wiig In J. Mendel – 2012 Oscars

Sandra Bullock In Marchesa - 2012 Oscars

Sandra Bullock In Marchesa – 2012 Oscars

28 Responses to Melissa McCarthy In Marina Rinaldi – 2012 Oscars

1. Carla February 27, 2012 at 03:07 #

I don’t think the Atwoods were about star power; she said on the red carpet they’ve known each other since high school. Sweet.

Nothing against Octavia (didn’t see her movie) but I was hoping Melissa would win (she was the best thing in Bridesmaids).

2. Jones19 February 27, 2012 at 03:09 #

I love that she went for such a light color, a bit of a departure for her. I’m so jealous that she is best friends with Brian Atwood and gets customized shoes from him!

3. Carolyn February 27, 2012 at 03:12 #

Why? I don’t think she has had one good dress on the red carpet the entire awards season and that’s sad!

4. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) February 27, 2012 at 03:18 #

Sadly awful! I think Melissa needs a sitdown with Tadashi Shoji. Everything she has worn this awards season has not worked well. She’s so adorable and likeable. I know this is a tough body, but there’s got to be something more flatterin out there for her.

• Fashion Critic February 27, 2012 at 03:40 #

I agree. was not a fan of this at all

• Leti February 27, 2012 at 03:54 #

Amen!

• Snowlion February 27, 2012 at 05:25 #

Agree

• Raquel February 27, 2012 at 03:47 #

Tadashi did a fine job with Octavia, but Octavia is much smaller than Melissa and has a more proportional body, which gives Tadashi plenty room to work on. Melissa is really heavy, and that is not easy to dress.

I think she look appropriated, but I’m not impressed.

• Shauni212 February 27, 2012 at 18:35 #

Just because someone is “really heavy” does not mean that they cannot create a flattering dress for her. This dress is just wrong and she is capable of looking better.

• EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2012 at 18:17 #

+1 Octavia Spencer is the perfect example of how bigger women can wear gorgeous dresses as well!

5. mm February 27, 2012 at 03:18 #

Lucky girl to have Brian Atwood as a friend.

6. Tina February 27, 2012 at 03:20 #

It’s a great dress and she looks very confident and herself in this pic. So good for her!

• noo February 27, 2012 at 03:52 #

agreed :D

• Quinn February 27, 2012 at 16:39 #

i too agree! i think she look adorable and i love the colour!

7. gurlygurl February 27, 2012 at 03:30 #

What a lovely color. I like that she has not opted for black. Hair and make up is lovely. My only complaint is that the hem of the dress could have been neater but overall she looks great.

8. pipsqueak February 27, 2012 at 03:36 #

I love the color of this gown and the bejeweled empire waist. Melissa is awesome! So happy for her nomination. She was terrific in a small TV show “Gilmore Girls” in the US. People just discovered her comedic talent now.

9. Shaina February 27, 2012 at 03:55 #

Everything about this dress is bad. I cannot get over the awkward sleeves and the unflattering silhouette. Her hair is also very aging and the look is over accesorized.

10. doc February 27, 2012 at 04:19 #

She could have done better. Being a plus-sized person, I can definitely understand the “take what you can get” philosophy of dress-picking. But, this is a CUSTOM look. To me that means they could have gone any direction they wanted and they still came up with something that feels only passable. I can’t believe somebody connected enough to personally know Brian Atwood couldn’t get a better dress than this.

11. bm February 27, 2012 at 04:27 #

Nude is perfect for her, but the dress is so unflattering, she’s one of my worst dressed tonight.

12. glenn February 27, 2012 at 05:08 #

the dress is so unflattering, that make her looks bigger!!

• dee February 27, 2012 at 14:13 #

This is not flattering.

13. Carolina Roq February 27, 2012 at 13:56 #

The dress is so unflattering that I guess they’re frenemies.

14. Camille February 27, 2012 at 14:37 #

I love the color on her. I thought her hair and makeup were lovely and best of all she looked like she felt beautiful and was having fun. Overall I thought this gown was too fussy/busy for her.
    The seams down the sides seem sloppy and not sure the gown is hemmed well. Let’s face it, there are definite design restrictions and limited choices when you are her size. The dress just needed to be simplified a bit for me and I would have liked it much better on her, but she looked happy and that’s worth a lot!

15. Colleen February 27, 2012 at 14:37 #

This is terrible and completely unflattering. I haven’t liked any of her looks during awards season. I wish she would work with someone who knew how to dress her body type better, ala Octavia Spencer.

16. MsDivaMom February 27, 2012 at 16:30 #

HORRID. As a big girl, I disapprove of this dress.

17. Deena February 27, 2012 at 18:58 #

HORRID. I’ll say it again. HORRID. The colour is forgivable but the style is so mumsy. I have no idea how old this woman is but I’m sure shes not 85. Also, it looks like it came from the high street, not like the custom made gown its supposed to be. Poor effort from Marina Rinaldi.

18. Sharon February 28, 2012 at 00:17 #

The dress isn’t one I would have picked for Melissa, but you can tell she feels beautiful in it and that’s all that counts.

19. Alina February 28, 2012 at 14:00 #