13.02.12

Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – 2012 BAFTA Awards

Octavia Spencer took home the ‘Best Supporting Actress’ award tonight at the 2012 BAFTA Awards in London.

She wore yet another Tadashi Shoji custom look.

A black floral-detail silk skirt was paired with a tailored shirt for a chic simple look with plenty volume.

To be honest, I’m still unsure how I feel about it. My first thought was that she appears shorter than she actually is.

She accessorized with a black Yves Saint Laurent patent belt, Martin Katz jewels and on the red carpet she carried a red Judith Leiber clutch.

Credit: Getty

Naomie Harris In Gucci - 2014 BAFTAs

Naomie Harris In Gucci – 2014 BAFTAs

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 BAFTA Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 BAFTA Awards?

17 Responses to Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – 2012 BAFTA Awards

1. Shaina February 13, 2012 at 00:15 #

I’m not a fan of this. I like the skirt but not the top. I agree that it makes her appear shorter. Love the hair and makeup though.

2. Paulo February 13, 2012 at 00:16 #

This reminds me of that Sharon Stone moment when she wore that Gap shirt with her Vera Wang skirt which worked well for Sharon – as the styling was made even more convincing with her attitude and confidence on the red carpet. I feel that Octavia’s look doesn’t work because the skirt doesn’t actually work with this shirt and particularly the way the shirt was styled.

3. shaun February 13, 2012 at 00:24 #

i think she looks amazing and it is a very oprah look. not usually a fan of wearing something fussy on the bottom when you are bigger on the bottom, but i think the color combo, and texture work.

my only concern is the collar of that shirt it looks a bit ill fitting

4. EmmaWoodhouse February 13, 2012 at 00:28 #

I like the black and white, the button-up shirt (and that award makes a nice accessory!) but I wish that the skirt had been a different silhouette. A-line, maybe?

5. Joy February 13, 2012 at 00:54 #

I hate to admit I don’t like this look because she’s been on such an amazing run this award season. I think the proportions are off, and the shirt makes her appear larger than she is. Overall, not flattering.

• Alina February 13, 2012 at 13:22 #

6. Raquel February 13, 2012 at 00:55 #

It’s a wondergul piece, but I think the blouse isn’t working really well – it makes Octavia look wide and short. It took me a while to see what was bothering me and I realized it is the fact the blouse is buttoned up so high into her neck. This is one of those cases where a bit more of cleavage/neck would balance the proportions.

Anyway, she looks stunning and well-dressed. I think Octavia is a great example of someone who is not model think but always looks dressed for the occasion without being boring.

7. hauteness February 13, 2012 at 01:24 #

I think if the shirt was opened more, creating a v-neckline it would have elongated her and made this more evening appropriate.

8. hauteness February 13, 2012 at 01:24 #

She needed to show some cleavage for this look to work!

9. Bellatrix February 13, 2012 at 01:28 #

That’s not a winning look specially when she knew she would she was very likely to be on stage accepting an award

10. Angela February 13, 2012 at 01:50 #

The detailed skirt is nice, but the blouse fails to flatter he figure. She looks a bit stubby and wide because of it. Not too bad, however I would’ve preferred an off the shoulder gown.

11. Liz February 13, 2012 at 04:21 #

She looks magnificent. I’m so happy that she won.

12. katie February 13, 2012 at 04:42 #

Not formal enough

13. robbie February 13, 2012 at 09:53 #

boring, does she not know any other designer.

14. Carolina Roq February 13, 2012 at 13:17 #

Very unsure about the dress.

15. Tiffany Nicole February 13, 2012 at 21:39 #

Doesn’t work, unfortunately.

16. Jess2 February 16, 2012 at 13:07 #

No, not doing it for me unfortunately, I don’t feel as if the top and skirt sections work well together.