13.02.12

Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – 2012 BAFTA Awards

Octavia Spencer took home the ‘Best Supporting Actress’ award tonight at the 2012 BAFTA Awards in London.

She wore yet another Tadashi Shoji custom look.

A black floral-detail silk skirt was paired with a tailored shirt for a chic simple look with plenty volume.

To be honest, I’m still unsure how I feel about it. My first thought was that she appears shorter than she actually is.

She accessorized with a black Yves Saint Laurent patent belt, Martin Katz jewels and on the red carpet she carried a red Judith Leiber clutch.

Credit: Getty

Viola Davis In Valentino - 2012 BAFTA Awards

Viola Davis In Valentino – 2012 BAFTA Awards

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 BAFTA Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2012 BAFTA Awards?

17 Responses to Octavia Spencer In Tadashi Shoji – 2012 BAFTA Awards

1. Shaina February 13, 2012 at 00:15 #

I’m not a fan of this. I like the skirt but not the top. I agree that it makes her appear shorter. Love the hair and makeup though.

2. Paulo February 13, 2012 at 00:16 #

This reminds me of that Sharon Stone moment when she wore that Gap shirt with her Vera Wang skirt which worked well for Sharon – as the styling was made even more convincing with her attitude and confidence on the red carpet. I feel that Octavia’s look doesn’t work because the skirt doesn’t actually work with this shirt and particularly the way the shirt was styled.

3. shaun February 13, 2012 at 00:24 #

i think she looks amazing and it is a very oprah look. not usually a fan of wearing something fussy on the bottom when you are bigger on the bottom, but i think the color combo, and texture work.

my only concern is the collar of that shirt it looks a bit ill fitting

4. EmmaWoodhouse February 13, 2012 at 00:28 #

I like the black and white, the button-up shirt (and that award makes a nice accessory!) but I wish that the skirt had been a different silhouette. A-line, maybe?

5. Joy February 13, 2012 at 00:54 #

I hate to admit I don’t like this look because she’s been on such an amazing run this award season. I think the proportions are off, and the shirt makes her appear larger than she is. Overall, not flattering.

• Alina February 13, 2012 at 13:22 #

6. Raquel February 13, 2012 at 00:55 #

It’s a wondergul piece, but I think the blouse isn’t working really well – it makes Octavia look wide and short. It took me a while to see what was bothering me and I realized it is the fact the blouse is buttoned up so high into her neck. This is one of those cases where a bit more of cleavage/neck would balance the proportions.

Anyway, she looks stunning and well-dressed. I think Octavia is a great example of someone who is not model think but always looks dressed for the occasion without being boring.

7. hauteness February 13, 2012 at 01:24 #

I think if the shirt was opened more, creating a v-neckline it would have elongated her and made this more evening appropriate.

8. hauteness February 13, 2012 at 01:24 #

She needed to show some cleavage for this look to work!

9. Bellatrix February 13, 2012 at 01:28 #

That’s not a winning look specially when she knew she would she was very likely to be on stage accepting an award

10. Angela February 13, 2012 at 01:50 #

The detailed skirt is nice, but the blouse fails to flatter he figure. She looks a bit stubby and wide because of it. Not too bad, however I would’ve preferred an off the shoulder gown.

11. Liz February 13, 2012 at 04:21 #

She looks magnificent. I’m so happy that she won.

12. katie February 13, 2012 at 04:42 #

Not formal enough

13. robbie February 13, 2012 at 09:53 #

boring, does she not know any other designer.

14. Carolina Roq February 13, 2012 at 13:17 #

Very unsure about the dress.

15. Tiffany Nicole February 13, 2012 at 21:39 #

Doesn’t work, unfortunately.

16. Jess2 February 16, 2012 at 13:07 #

No, not doing it for me unfortunately, I don’t feel as if the top and skirt sections work well together.