Menu

September 10, 2020 Premiere, Runway To Red Carpet

Cate Blanchett Wore An Armani Prive Recycled Look To The 'Spy No Tsuma' Venice Film Festival Premiere

Cate Blanchett and her recycled red carpet looks have been the talk of the 2020 Venice Film Festival.

In an interview with WWD prior to the festival, she explained that the festival was the perfect time to reinvent the nature of the red carpet event as it is the first one in almost six months.

On Tuesday, her something new didn’t go down to well, so she reverted back to her sustainable style for the premiere of ‘Spy No Tsuma’ (Wife Of A Spy) on Wednesday (September 9) in Italy.

Cate first wore this Armani Privé Spring 2015 gown to the ‘Sicario’ Cannes Film Festival premiere back in 2015.

Much like the first time Cate wore this.  The look screams simple elegance, yet I feel a little a lot guilty for wanting more.

I love the point that Cate is making with sustainability, but if you’re going to go back, why not go back further?

A lot of these recycled looks are quite recent.

I wish she had opted to recycle her 2008 Armani Prive gown from the ‘Blindness’ Cannes Film Festival premiere (one of my faves from Cate), her Givenchy Haute Couture gown from the 2011 Oscars, her Jean Paul Gaultier gown from the 2005 Golden Globes, her Armani Privé gown she wore for the 2007 Oscars.

Even her John Galliano for Dior Couture gown from the 1999 Oscars would’ve been a real treat.

I could really list these dresses all day long.

I think what I’m saying that I feel that these repeats would’ve piqued my interest more had they been repeats from some of her more iconic moments, but I still admire the message she is sending out.

Armani Prive Spring 2015

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , , ,

Kappa x Juicy Couture Launch Collaboration With Sofia Richie

Kappa x Juicy Couture Launch Collaboration With Sofia Richie

Clémence Poésy Wore Chanel To The 'Resistance' Deauville American Film Festival Premiere

Clémence Poésy Wore Chanel To The ‘Resistance’ Deauville American Film Festival Premiere

21 Responses to Cate Blanchett Recycles Armani Prive For The ‘Spy No Tsuma’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

1. phee September 15, 2020 at 11:04 am #

Its fine. I am not really into recycling designer gowns….I thin k it loses RC strength seeing them over again.
    Daily clothes sure! recycle away.

this looked better the first time around.

2. TeaAtTwo September 12, 2020 at 6:16 pm #

The gown is a striking as on previous outing but her hair here is so mundane and makes the whole look feel unfinished and unpolished.

3. Jess September 12, 2020 at 5:37 am #

Think of all the work this recycling is going to lose designers. And once you take the excitement out of new gowns on the red carpet…what is the point? I love sustainability and recycling but with celebrity gowns…I think we’re splitting hairs haha. The virtue signalling fixes nothing but will come at a cost

4. TeaAtTwo September 11, 2020 at 7:14 pm #

The dress is sublime and says festival red carpet but the hair looks so mundane and says grocery shopping.
    Without knowing the environmental and logistics concerns, keeping in mind the rewearing and not ostentatious theme, an outfit that would have been a pleasant sight is this Valli couture look

5. Nadine September 10, 2020 at 11:59 pm #

On a different note, I would’ve liked to see her in the runway version of this. It looks so sportswear chic.

6. Ellen September 10, 2020 at 9:08 pm #

That Givenchy. I hadn’t seen it in years, but I got goosebumps all over again seeing her in it today. :chef’s kiss:

7. Aurelien September 10, 2020 at 7:00 pm #

I’ve always found this dress is one of the best from Cate. I love her when she pushes boundaries with bold choices, but she nailed every inch when playing the “regal elegance”. Love the way that dress lengthens her, the way that thick fabric skims her curves, love the train which take the global look on another level and the shape of the sleeves which add a twist.

8. CN September 10, 2020 at 6:57 pm #

She looks gorgeous. The dress fits her beautifully. But I agree that she could have been more adventurous with her choice. I imagine that no one is going to casually redo an Armani Prive outfit, but this piece does lack a bit of excitment.

9. Plain Jane September 10, 2020 at 5:55 pm #

I think part of the problem is the shade of blonde she’s wearing right now – it really washes her out! I love Cate and have been disappointed in her choices the past few days.

• Catherine Kallon September 10, 2020 at 6:58 pm #

I was wondering what had changed, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

You’re right. Her hair colour is much lighter.

10. Chris September 10, 2020 at 5:09 pm #

It would also be great if she rewore looks that didn’t get a proper red carpet outing the last time, like the iconic Armani Cannes Party look we only got like one picture of. https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2014/05/16/cate-blanchett-penelope-cruz-armani-prive-chopard-party/
    Or the Jean Paul Gaultier she wore last year that we didn’t really get good pictures of.

• Catherine Kallon September 10, 2020 at 6:58 pm #

Co-sign on that stunning Armani Prive.

• TeaAtTwo September 11, 2020 at 8:41 pm #

I’ also would love to see that dress again and on a a bigger stage.

11. Chris September 10, 2020 at 5:01 pm #

This is really great, as it was back then. I agree that it would be more exciting if she rewore looks that weren’t quite as recent. It feels like she just wore all of these, I still remember them so well. But I understand the reasons why that isn’t happening right now, of course.

12. Hannah September 10, 2020 at 3:08 pm #

I agree with you FC, give us more! Maybe she could have altered them through styling and tailoring to make them standout more if she doesn’t have access to her other dresses.

13. Merlyn September 10, 2020 at 2:48 pm #

Another thing to consider…. the dresses you mention are from several years ago. Perhaps they could not be altered to fit her current measurements.

14. anonymous as always September 10, 2020 at 11:26 am #

I agree with everything you wrote. This is such an elegant look but it would be such a treat if she recycles something more iconic from way back.
    This got me thinking though, that maybe she doesn’t own or have access anymore to her older looks or that there is maybe a black and white theme going on.

p.s. If possible I would have loved if she went even way back and recycle something like her Yellow Valentino dress from the 2005 oscars, or the Jean Paul Gautier from the 2000 Oscars, or the 2003 Valentino form the Golden Globes!!!! Yeah, I could go all day ?

15. Ramsay September 10, 2020 at 11:21 am #

The reasons she is choosing these looks are the following:
    1- She is choosing looks that were styled by her current stylist Elizabeth Stewart, so she cannot go back that much in time as we might push for
    2- She said in that interview in WWD that, as she is trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible, she is trying to select looks that she has in her London home (vs. having to fly them all the way from Australia, which would defeat the purpose). This explains why most of the repeats so far have been from events she attended in Europe (I would assume she would have then shipped her dresses to her London home vs. the US or Australia). This also limits what she can select from

• Ramsay September 10, 2020 at 11:29 am #

One more thing to add – the choice is obviously dependent on what she has kept and what she has returned to the fashion houses – which further narrows it down

Certainly had she wanted it, she could probably have had access to any dress from any house’s archives; but clearly she feels putting so much energy in the current environment would be indecent

• Catherine Kallon September 10, 2020 at 3:00 pm #

I totally agree with everything you said. I had thought about all these things.

It all makes perfect sense. Especially the part about her having a different stylist for some of those other looks.

I am a wishful thinker, and I romanticize a lot.

• cece September 10, 2020 at 4:44 pm #

The logistics of the situation has been very interesting, but I’m also a wishful thinker and would love to see older items or other things she owns but haven’t been worn on the red carpet re-styled by her current stylist. But again, logistics, and agree with the above about the appearance of being too over-the-top and indecent.