Menu

September 9, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Cate Blanchett Wore Alexander McQueen To The Golden Lion For Lifetime Achivement Award Ceremony

Cate Blanchett was back on the red carpet for the Golden Lion For Lifetime Achievement Award Ceremony during the 2020 Venice Film Festival on Tuesday (September 8) in Italy.

How do I say, what I don’t want to say, but I have to say?

It will be a first, but here goes.

I don’t like this. None of it.  Not one bit. Not at all.  And I did my best to by looking at this from every possible angle.

While I’m here.  I will go to say that I have found Cate a little muted during this Film Festival.

The repeats haven’t been the problem. I’m just not seeing the Cate I’m used it.  It Cate with a handbrake.

Yes, times have change, so has the landscape of the red carpet.  But I was hoping for a whole lot more from her.

When it comes to this Alexander McQueen Spring 2020 dress featuring an explosion of ruffles, and a deconstructed blazer, I say with regret, she bitten off way more than she could chew.

If Cate can’t pull this off, no one can.

There is just way too much going on here.

I want to blame the asymmetrical ruffle at the waist.  I also want to blame the competing ruffle on the the shoulder.  And I also want to blame the kinda awkward length.

Alexander McQueen Spring 2020

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Vanessa Paradis Wore Chanel To The Deauville American Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Lady Gaga Rocks The New Jimmy Choo x Timberland Collaboration

Lady Gaga Rocks The New Jimmy Choo x Timberland Collaboration

35 Responses to Cate Blanchett Wore Alexander McQueen To The Golden Lion For Lifetime Achievement Award Ceremony

1. phee September 15, 2020 at 10:52 am #

Huge no! What a mess of a dress.
    Even she cannot save this.

2. Amanda F September 10, 2020 at 3:30 am #

If 2020 were an outfit it would be this disaster.

• TeaAtTwo September 10, 2020 at 5:27 am #

Haha

• Mm September 10, 2020 at 12:45 pm #

Yes!!!!LMAO

3. Bee September 10, 2020 at 1:01 am #

Cate’s dress for the red carpet for the Spy No Tsuma (Wife Of A Spy) screening on Wednesday is fabulous but this one is not her. On the runway it is very youthful and fun. As mentioned Diane Kruger could give this a go but Cate does not pull it off and I agree too that the shoes are not right. I wonder if some of her choices at Venice have been her own choices rather that a stylists like the jumpsuits and wide leg pants. What we in Australia call daggy.

4. Los_NGLS September 9, 2020 at 11:56 pm #

It’s the awkward length and embroidered skirt for me. This was look 36 for that runway show. If they’d lopped off the long skirt and replaced it with the trousers from look 35, then maybe we could have had something really special.

I think too sometimes it’s best to just copy the runway styling. And sure runway styling is absolutely bonkers & unwearable SOMETIMES, but in the case of a brand like (current) McQueen, it’s purposeful and deserves replication. They should have fluffed up the ruffles a tad more, and flipped that lapel up.

5. JHH September 9, 2020 at 10:29 pm #

This dress is pretty bad but if Cate’s shoe game could be just a little bit better, that would have helped immensely. This dress + office pumps = No.

6. Will September 9, 2020 at 9:55 pm #

It’s growing on me! It is original, well-made and a look we will remember. Good thing she took a risk.

7. RebeccaZ September 9, 2020 at 9:04 pm #

She doesn’t look convinced either

8. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang September 9, 2020 at 8:31 pm #

No one shall disagree with me when I say that Cate Blanchett has completely lost her red carpet mojo. Ever since the festival started after recovering from the pandemic strike, her fashion outfits are simply questionable. More UGHs than AHs I supposed, with all the repeating fashion choices and this one takes the top bill of fashion catastrophic nightmare. Where’s the Queen Cate that brought movie star glamour to the film festival before? We need the regal Queen Cate back ASAP no excuse, cause this is too much for us to bear!!

9. J. September 9, 2020 at 7:55 pm #

The lining kills it. The dress itself is not a wonder but I kinda like it on the model; someone like Diane Kruger I think would wear the hell out of it.

And note to Cate’s stylist: you cannot make your client look edgy but have her ONLY wearing those shoes. Bring back regal Cate

• anonymous as always September 9, 2020 at 8:58 pm #

• Marie September 10, 2020 at 4:33 am #

Cate Blanchett can wear a sack of rice and still look stunning! However, this outfit by Alexander McQueen does not flatter her. It is a disservice to her Style Icon reputation. She should have stuck to an All-Armani ensemble for the rest of the Venice Film Festival. Armani would never steer her wrong. Still, she can be forgiven because she is, after all, Cate Blanchett, the One and Only.

10. BobbieLee September 9, 2020 at 7:37 pm #

First thought was that this style is just too young for her. I would love to see Cate’s dress with the ruffles and jacket removed. Would also change the shoes to a pink ballerina ? flat.

11. KT September 9, 2020 at 6:08 pm #

Is there a chance it would’ve been manageable/better without the jacket? I feel like the jacket and that ruffle on it kill it for sure

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 6:43 pm #

I would say no.

• anonymous as always September 9, 2020 at 8:50 pm #

12. Zainab September 9, 2020 at 5:45 pm #

I literally uttered out loud “WTF is this ?”

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 6:43 pm #

This mirrors my exact reaction

13. Rose September 9, 2020 at 4:20 pm #

A rare and complete miss from Cate.

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 6:44 pm #

Yep. A swing and a miss

14. TeaAtTwo September 9, 2020 at 3:44 pm #

FKA Twigs might’ve have sold this to me but Cate isn’t. The same ol’ black pumps are too boring and her hairstyle is to Wednesday morning in the office.
    But yeah, she’s been dull this festival. It didn’t have to be latest collection or most expensive couture but she and her stylist have pulled out the least exciting looks.

• Bellabondi September 9, 2020 at 4:42 pm #

I’m not sure what’s going on with Cate this film festival as well FC. She is the one of my style icons (along with Nieves who killed it while she was in Venice). Something seemed a little off for me when it came to Cate that I couldn’t put my finger on but this dress wraps up the run she has had this festival unfortunately…..so excited that you and the red carpets are back FC BTW 🙂

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 6:45 pm #

Yes. I think FKA Twigs or SZA would’ve sold this look very easily to me too

15. CN September 9, 2020 at 3:44 pm #

I’m sorry: This is hideous.

16. XAN September 9, 2020 at 3:06 pm #

I am on the fence.

It’s not a nice gown if you compare it to the usual ones but on the other hand it’s so striking and different.
    And i’ve seen other pictures of her walking and she looks so cool and confident.

Of course i am honest ,had this been on any other person my opinion would not be the same.

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 6:48 pm #

I understand where you are coming from as it works on the model.

I looked a so many pictures as I wanted just one to work, but she couldn’t sell this to me

17. Original meme September 9, 2020 at 2:51 pm #

OMG this is one of the ugliest dresses I have ever seen. Seriously hideous.

18. Chris September 9, 2020 at 2:07 pm #

I agree that somehow, it feels like Cate hasn’t been bringing her usual attitude to the red carpets. Somehow, her whole approach feels more than usual centered around effortlessness. Which is normal for her street outfits, but usual, on a big red carpet, she brings that ‘Queen Cate’ kind of attitude, and…the other McQueen had hints of that, but otherwise, that certain something has really been missing, without me being able to point out exactly why that is. I think it has something to do with the styling that is feeling a tad lackluster on this look, but I don’t think that’s everything.

I think a different hairstyle and stronger eye make-up might have helped this look, as well as different shoes and maybe a removal of the jacket (or a different jacket, not a black one). But yeah, it would’ve been a tough sell either way. Although I appreciate her giving us something new and attempting to pull of such a bold outfit. But sadly I agree that it wasn’t quite successful.

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 6:46 pm #

I’m not sure a change of hair, shoes or makeup would’ve improve this.

I just don’t believe it was the right dress for her at all.

As TeaAtTwo said, this is much better suited to FKA Twigs

• Chris September 9, 2020 at 9:22 pm #

Yes, the idea of FKA Twigs wearing it is good!

19. Sharon M September 9, 2020 at 1:11 pm #

Oh my. This is terrible. It is hard to believe she put this on, looked in the mirror, and walked out in it.

• Catherine Kallon September 9, 2020 at 1:24 pm #

I’m totally baffled.

• Elena September 9, 2020 at 3:16 pm #

FC i fully agree with any single word of your post!!
      Can’t believe it is Cate that wear this!
      No just no