Menu

Maya Hawke in Versace - 'Mainstream' Venice Film Festival Photocall

Maya Hawke might be relatively new on the red carpet scene, but she has been dressing like a seasoned pro for some time.

And so she should, as she’s had the advantage of watching her mother – Uma Thurman – grace the red carpet her entire life.

The actress made her return to the red carpet for the ‘Mainstream’ Venice Film Festival photocall on Saturday (September 5).

When I think of Maya Hawke, I think of Dior to be honest.  But I was happy to see her branch out give us a different designer in Versace.

The pleated midi skirt awash with the Pre-Fall 2020 tie-dye roses print was very much on track for Maya’s sweet sensibilities, but the Fall 2020 slit top came a little out of left-field.

I’ve never really frown upon a cut-out top, but something about this one doesn’t seem to work.

The bunching around the cut-out tells me it has been pulled up, because it must have originally sat way too low for her.

Maya completed the look with a pair of Versace Virtus leather flats.

Flats on the red carpet? She really is her mother’s daughter.

Versace Fall 2020
Versace Pre-Fall 2020
Maya Hawke in Atelier Versace - 'Mainstream' Venice Film Festival Premiere

By nightfall Maya had transformed into a totally different women for the premiere, wearing an Atelier Versace Fall 2020 mermaid inspired gown.

Do I love the gown?

Yes.  It’s giving me all that drama I have been pining for since March.

The nude tone worked perfectly against her skin and the embroidered degradé of Swarovski crystals and lustrous gold-tone appliqués were oozing with Versace’s signature brand of OTT glamour.

What this look desperately needed was for Maya to run her hands under a faucet, and then run her fingers through her hair.

The soccer mom hair doesn’t complement the dress at all sadly.

Atelier Versace Fall 2020

Credit: Versace & Getty

We earn a commission when you follow the link to make a purchase.

Shop the look

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Ester Expósito Wore Etro On The Opening Of Venice Film Festival 2020

Ester Expósito Wore Etro On The Opening Of Venice Film Festival 2020

Adèle Exarchopoulos Wore Prada & MaisonCleo For The 'Mandibules' Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

Adèle Exarchopoulos Wore Prada & MaisonCleo For The ‘Mandibules’ Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

10 Responses to Maya Hawke Wore Versace & Atelier Versace For The ‘Mainstream’ Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

1. Hailey September 17, 2020 at 2:53 am #

I love the premiere gown but I wish someone else was wearing it. It is worthy of a huge A list star and someone who will rock the dress head to toe.

2. phee September 15, 2020 at 10:09 am #

The gold embellishment on the second dress is lovely. Certainly makes the dress. The hair does take it down.
    the first – cute skirt.

3. Amy September 7, 2020 at 11:24 am #

I saw the Versace look in a video and boy it was great. The light was reflecting on the golden parts. this picture does not do it justice.
    Btw sick body

4. FromRussiaWithLove September 7, 2020 at 9:22 am #

Great Versace dress, but zero presence on the carpet. They call her a breakthrough so she should have her parents’ charisma combined. Hope she is getting there.

5. Chris September 6, 2020 at 9:20 pm #

I don’t mind the hair with the second gown. It feels authentic and makes sure the look doesn’t feel too try-hard or dated, as it might have on some other people.

6. Lise September 6, 2020 at 8:53 pm #

Big agree about the hair. Tie it back and add some honkin’ big earrings, please!

7. JHH September 6, 2020 at 7:50 pm #

Maya’s hairstyle ages her but at 22, I guess looking a but older could be the name of the game. Even so, the hairstyle does bring both outfits down. The gown looks great on her.

8. lmkw September 6, 2020 at 6:26 pm #

The first look was saved by wearing flats. I love that casual chic. A better fit on the top and I’d have no complaints. The mermaid dress is gorgeous. Swoon-worthy even. Agree on the hair though. It’s dated and aging.

9. Akash September 6, 2020 at 6:09 pm #

I don’t like the slippers for the photocall but it’s a pretty ensemble.
    The red carpet look is beautiful but I wish it were in a different colour/shade and also the hair doesn’t go with the outfit as you mentioned. But nonetheless she looks pretty.

10. IDK September 6, 2020 at 3:05 pm #

I actually don’t mind the hair, it feels very on brand for her. The dress however looks like something her mom would wear, from the neckline, to the color, the embellishments… I would have liked to have seen a brownish copper mock neck version of this dress on Maya.