Menu

February 24, 2020 Runway To Red Carpet

Rihanna Wore Givenchy Haute Couture To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Rihanna Wore Givenchy Haute Couture To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Rihanna was the recipient of one of the biggest honors presented at the 2020 NAACP Image Awards on Saturday (February 22), but she humbly turned the focus towards a powerful and crucial message.

The singer, actress and beauty and fashion mogul received the President’s Award at the ceremony for her extraordinary philanthropic efforts across the globe: she’s raised millions of dollars for disaster relief, education abroad and awareness for issues affecting communities all over the world, and she stressed that she didn’t make this impact by working on her own.

Upon collecting the award she said, “Tonight is not really about me, because the purpose is bigger than me, right? It’s not bigger than us together, but it’s bigger than me, because my part is a very small part of the work that is being done in this world and the work that is yet to be done.”

Rihanna Wore Givenchy Haute Couture To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Seeing Rihanna in this Givenchy Spring 2020 Haute Couture look, the “pretends to be shocked” meme popped into my head.

When it comes to the purple long-sleeved indigo dress with ruffles it’s a beautiful creation.  It really is.

Purple is the colour of royalty after all, and Rihanna is our queen.

I have a slight issue with this silhouette for her once again. Not the complexity of it, more the oversized nature of it.

I was under the impression that she had moved on from this following The Fashion Awards 2019.

Rihanna Wore Givenchy Haute Couture To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Custom Manolo Blahnik ‘Palori’ sandals, a Kallati amethyst diamond ring and a selection of amethysts and diamond jewels from Chopard completed her look.

I’m very intrigued to hear your thoughts.

Givenchy Spring 2020 Haute Couture

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , ,

Kiki Layne Wore Armani Prive & Oscar de la Renta To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Kiki Layne Wore Armani Prive & Oscar de la Renta To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Brie Larson Wore Rodarte To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

Brie Larson Wore Rodarte To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

25 Responses to Rihanna Wore Givenchy Haute Couture To The 2020 NAACP Image Awards

1. JohnM219 February 25, 2020 at 6:26 pm #

It’s just too big to be considered oversized.

The Hair and makeup is flawless.

2. Noor February 25, 2020 at 6:22 am #

It’s different. Top half of the design is too wide. still I’m not bored this on Rihana. I’m having mixed feelings. After all I’m glad she didn’t come with her own collection.

3. Guest February 25, 2020 at 5:58 am #

She slayed. Period.

4. Guest February 25, 2020 at 5:57 am #

she totally made this her own.

5. Guest February 25, 2020 at 3:34 am #

Her best look in a VERY long time. Our Queen looks amazing! BDOTW

6. JasLinds February 25, 2020 at 1:40 am #

I actually love this on RiRi – amazing colour, great styling and she looks comfortable and confident. I wish it was a little shorter, as I think the silhouette would work better as a mini dress.
    Also, I think Rihanna should win best beauty of the year (consistently).

7. Guest February 25, 2020 at 12:30 am #

The color purple with that beauty look is simply awesome. But that silhouette … *shakes head*

8. Guest February 24, 2020 at 11:09 pm #

On today’s episode of, “It’s ugly until Rihanna says it isn’t” !!

What an absolute QUEEN in this royal purple looking like the blooming flower she is!!! I’m not sure anyone else could have sold this piece to me (maybe Zendaya, mayyybe Cate B.). I think the shoulder area could’ve been a bit better fit, but I’m not too bothered by it.

I ask myself often, “What did we do to deserve the gift that is Rihanna?”

9. SarahS95 February 24, 2020 at 10:00 pm #

The colour is lovely but the fit of the top just needs to be a bit better I really love the idea of it just the execution isn’t up to scratch

10. Guest February 24, 2020 at 9:32 pm #

Aaaahhhh I’m so torn on this. I love the picture of her side ways and the close up. She looks gorgeous. The front though is just not doing it for me. It feels ill fitted on top rather than the boxy silhouette (as it appears on the model). I think the top part is just not designed well for that (gorgeous) fabric. Wish it had a different iteration for that top part.
    I like this direction that Rihanna has taken though. I’d love to see more of this.

11. Phee phee February 24, 2020 at 7:42 pm #

Those amethyst jewels!!! Swoon.
    The dress, not so much. It makes her look pretty darn wide. Although the color is divine.
    I mean the dress is art but the top part needed to be reworked somewhat.

12. Guest February 24, 2020 at 7:00 pm #

She is selling it and looks cute, loving the rich colour and delicate sandals!

13. KseniaBradner February 24, 2020 at 6:29 pm #

Oh no, I was subtweeting commenters complaining it’s not figure-flattering!

14. Catarina_M February 24, 2020 at 5:23 pm #

The best I’ve seen on Rihanna in a long time.

15. Guest February 24, 2020 at 5:13 pm #

I like the colour & her beauty look….that’s it.

16. P&P February 24, 2020 at 5:13 pm #

This reminds me of the Givenchy couture dress she wore to the Ocean’s 8 premiere. Has the same “sea creature” vibes to it.

17. Guest February 24, 2020 at 5:13 pm #

It’s more in reply to other comments.

18. Originalmeme February 24, 2020 at 5:09 pm #

Other than the linebacker shoulders, I love this.

19. Guest February 24, 2020 at 4:59 pm #

Neck up, she looks good as well as knee down. This is just bad. The color is nice but those awful shoulder pads are just horrendous.

20. Red Carpet Fashion Awards February 24, 2020 at 4:51 pm #

I am not sure where I said it needed to be figure-flattering.

I’m pretty sure I did say that this is a beautiful creation.

21. Guest February 24, 2020 at 4:42 pm #

Not everything has to be flattering. Fashion is more than figure-flattering silhouettes, geez.

This is perfection. What piece of art, and perfectly styled and worn by the perfect person. BDOTW.

22. Guest February 24, 2020 at 4:35 pm #

Rihanna has never looked better

Best dressed of the week.
    That shade of purple, magnificent.
    Hair , makeup, accessories , everything is perfect.

23. CharlotteLG February 24, 2020 at 4:33 pm #

I like this waist down and neck up.
    The fit of the top is pretty bad and not flattering.

24. Guest February 24, 2020 at 4:30 pm #

Makeup and beauty look are impeccable as usual. The color of the dress is great. The silhouette is horribly unflattering. It looks awful on the model and just as bad on Rihanna.