Menu

Best Dressed Of The Decade Readers’ Choice

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Karolina Kurkova In Marchesa – 2014 Met Gala

10. Karolina Kurkova In Marchesa – 2014 Met Gala

Celine Dion In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2017 Billboard Music Awards

9. Celine Dion In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2017 Billboard Music Awards

Cate Blanchett In Christian Lacroix Haute Couture from Decades - SK-II’s 'Clear for Life' Event

8. Cate Blanchett In Christian Lacroix Haute Couture from Decades – SK-II’s ‘Clear for Life’ Event

7. Lady Gaga In Valentino Haute Couture – ‘A Star Is Born’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

Zoe Saldana In Givenchy Haute Couture - 2010 Oscars

6. Zoe Saldana In Givenchy Haute Couture – 2010 Oscars

Fan Bingbing In Dragon Robe by Laurence Hsu - 'Robin Hood' Cannes Film Festival Premiere 2010

5. Fan Bingbing In Dragon Robe by Laurence Hsu – ‘Robin Hood’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere 2010

Michelle Obama In Atelier Versace -  Italian Prime Minister Visits The White House

4. Michelle Obama In Atelier Versace – Italian Prime Minister Visits The White House

3. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Sarah Burton For Alexander McQueen – 2011 Royal Wedding

2. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan In Michael Cinco Couture – ‘Okja’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Nieves Alvarez In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

1. Nieves Alvarez In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

Credit: Getty & Decades

Selena Gomez's Miu Miu Embellished Velvet Coat

Selena Gomez’s Miu Miu Embellished Velvet Coat

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #10

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #10

36 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Decade Readers’ Choice

1. Guest January 1, 2020 at 5:15 am #

Rihanna says hi. I would have picked Cate’s 2011 Givenchy Oscar look over this look any day.

2. Phee phee December 31, 2019 at 7:25 pm #

Nieves deserves this #1 look!

3. Guest December 31, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

Zoe #6 will always be my #1, I still dream about it!

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 3:51 pm #

Same here.

4. lelaid December 31, 2019 at 2:38 pm #

I’m glad Zoe made it on the list, she was my vote for the best of the decade. I remember seeing that dress on the runway and being in love with it but thinking nobody had the guts to wear it on the red carpet, so when she did and looked so amazing in it I was in heaven!

5. Guest December 31, 2019 at 2:18 pm #

Karolina is #1 on my list, and Cate in that Lacroix is a close #2.

Fan Bingbing definitely deserves to be on this list; my pick would have been the Christopher Bu look from the 2015 Met Gala.

6. KseniaBradner December 31, 2019 at 2:07 pm #

The Michael Cinco is very Disney Princess but it has no style or even fashion. It does’t look cheap, but it looks so dated. I am bummed M*rche*a got on the list because You Know Why, and also, the brand hasn’t been relevant in fashion in 7 years. I am very pleased Cate Blanchett in Christian Lacroix Couture and Fan Bing Bing in Laurence Hu made the list

7. Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:34 pm #

Will these Best dressed lists be put up on RCFA Instagram? ?

8. Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:07 pm #

Zoe and Gaga? Really? Not even Top50 of the decade, for me.

Nieves deserves the #1! Epic!
    Karolina Kurkova should be a very close #2.

9. Guest December 31, 2019 at 10:30 am #

I do like it but I still don’t see this Aishwarya look as best dressed of the year let one decade. But the detailing is almost as beautiful as she is.
    Fan’s Chris Bu Kewen gown from 2011 stood up better for me down the years to now but this dress on the list is probably more iconic for her and the one that caught the world’s attention first.
    Overall, I’m content with the list.

10. Guest December 31, 2019 at 10:00 am #

I predicted this list, not necessarily the final order.

11. MissHebble December 31, 2019 at 9:36 am #

All memorable and all beautiful. I’m missing Diane Kruger in that golden Vivienne Westwood – and I might have liked to see Blake and Lupita – but other than that I broadly agree with this list 🙂

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 11:37 am #

Oh, I loved Diane’s gold VW a lot, def. one of my all time faves, and I was thinking of including it too, but there’s just too much competition in the “gold gown” category (whether it’s Michelle Obama or Karolina’s Rachel Zoe..) I’d say she’s somewhere in the top 15-20 for me.

• MissHebble December 31, 2019 at 11:47 am #

Ohhhh I loved KK’s too! And Michelle Obama definitely deserves her place on this list. We’ve been spoilt for choice.

12. Guest December 31, 2019 at 9:14 am #

Excellent work for Nieves and Victor Blanco, her stylist ??????

13. Guest December 31, 2019 at 9:11 am #

Yesssss to number 1!!! That look was and still is iconic!!! Amazing web-page by the way ?

14. Guest December 31, 2019 at 8:51 am #

As Nieves stylist! Thanks for the votes. Thanks to everyone supporting our work and specially you Catherine for all help and support. ????? to the next decade! ???

15. Guest December 31, 2019 at 8:16 am #

Great choices all of them. Being Spanish, I am specially glad to see Nieves at the top of the list.
    Happy New Year!

16. Noor December 31, 2019 at 3:40 am #

All the gorgeous dresses are unique & creative on their own ways.

Can’t say no to “Nieves.” I may not choose her as the best of the decade. But that was the first look came to my mind when I voted. Perhaps it’s the color palette. Among the millions of black & red dresses, this Couture dress could make an unforgettable entrance.

Aishwarya for the second place… Fan Bingbing in Laurence Hsu… Zoe in Givenchy… Cate in Christian Lacroix seems not agreeable. Of course the four of them are my favorites but I had other great looks of them in my head instead.

Also I really expected to see one casual look or suit in the best of decades list. Hopefully this is good. Looking forward to the Critic’s list.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 11:16 am #

I know what you mean re: a suit look 🙂 Personally, I had to include Charlize Theron in Dior tux from Cannes 2016. It was everything – cool and chic with a touch of androgyny and yet plenty of commanding sex appeal. Everything, down to the assertive stance, sexy open blouse and makeup was extra fab.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 12:33 pm #

Stand out suit moment from 2010s for me would either be:
      – Angelina Jolie in Saint Laurent at 2014 Baftas
      – Nieves Álvarez in Dsquared2 – 2014 Icon Magazine Awards (though I did wonder about brogues)
      – Karolina Kurkova in Roberto Cavalli – 2012 Bergdorf Goodman’s 111th Anniversary party
      – Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Versace – Versace ss19 front row
      – Janelle Monae in Ralph Lauren – ‘A Beautiful Future’ launch

• Noor December 31, 2019 at 2:28 pm #

I remember. In 2014, it was all about Angelina’s Saint Laurent suit. I could literally forgot it was from men’s wear collection.

• Kat December 31, 2019 at 2:37 pm #

Suits were a definite 2010s trend. My favourites:
      -Evan Rachel Wood’s Altuzarra tux @ 2017 Golden Globes
      -Evan Rachel Wood’s velvet Altuzarra @2017 SAGs
      -Eve’s diamante Naeem Khan @ 2018 Grammys
      -Janelle Monae’s Topshop @ 2017 Essence Black Women in Hollywood Awards
      -Blake Lively in red Michael Kors @ ABC Studios 2012

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 4:18 pm #

Nice choices, love your list.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 4:52 pm #

Oh, I had forgotten about Evan’s 2017 Golden Globes look. It was awesome! Thanks for the reminder.

17. Guest December 31, 2019 at 3:01 am #

Yes, my #1 won. Still blown away by it!

18. Kat December 31, 2019 at 2:54 am #

What a great list. Most aren’t my picks, but all are gorgeous choices.
    I wonder what beautiful looks the next 10 yrs will bring us!

19. Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:57 am #

This is a good list! So hard to narrow it down, but readers did a great job!

20. Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:33 am #

YES to #1!! It’s Nieves’s spot, hands down.

Other looks that strongly belong on the list imo: Celine Dion (but deserves much higher placement than 9, I’d give her Aishwarya’s spot on this list), Cate Blanchett, Karolina Kurkova, and Aishwarya Rai.

Looks that I didn’t choose for top 10 but are good choices – Michelle Obama, Lady Gaga, and Zoe Saldana (I had Zoe in my top 10 but for a different look – her Armani Prive at 2011 Cannes)

Looks that I don’t think belong on the list are #3 and # 5. I had Fan Bingbing for her glorious Ralph & Russo Couture at ‘La Tete Haute’ Premiere & Opening Ceremony (Cannes 2015). Her look at #5 popped at me as being out of place instantly. And if we are going to talk wedding looks, Cate’s is not even the most beautiful one we’ve seen.

A lot of beautiful looks through the years and I kept rearranging my list lol. but if I were to name 3 most incredible knockouts on the spot, it would be: 1.Nieves Alvarez in Stéphane Rolland Couture – Goya Awards 2013
    2.Karolina Kurkova in gold Rachel Zoe – 2012 MET Gala
    3.Celine Dion In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2017 Billboard Music Awards

I loved Karolina’s Marchesa and had it a bit lower on my list too. But for me it was actually her striking gold Rachel Zoe at 2012 MET that left me in awe and breathless.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 6:36 am #

I agree about Karolina’s gold Rachel Zoe from 2012 MET. That gown, complete with the turban, just knocked my jaw to the floor and I never fully recovered. It was the way she was selling it, just so sultry and powerful. The open-back was gorgeous on her. I think some people felt it was too costumey, or that the dress itself wouldn’t have been sensational on someone else (but, yeah duh! she’s a supermodel haha). But that’s why it was such a winning moment for me – the perfect synergy of star-dress-event.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 9:15 am #

‘..and I never fully recovered’ – same here 🙂 It was, indeed, very powerful and exceptionally striking. And I remember thinking how perfect the addition of the matching gold turban was. It made the look even more majestic and unforgettable. Karolina was beyond..even beyond where the supermodels go.

21. Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:33 am #

YES TO NIEVES!!! I’m still getting goosebumps to this day

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:52 am #

Kudos to Readers for voting her #1!

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 4:19 pm #

… still getting goosebumps…” Me too!

22. Guest December 31, 2019 at 1:29 am #

Love this list, with three exceptions but that’s minor because every look was a revelation. Number one is my number one and still gives me chills.

23. alvarospain December 31, 2019 at 12:46 am #

Love the list!! Gorgeous dresses?