Menu

December 12, 2019

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attended an evening reception for members of the Diplomatic Corps hosted by Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday (December 11) in London.

We don’t often see the Duchess wearing a tiara (the Cambridge Lover’s Knot Tiara), in fact the last time we saw her wearing one, was back in June, during the state banquet the Queen threw for President Donald Trump during his state visit.

On that occasion she wore a very princessy tiered gown – bridal-esqe some might say – however, the silhouette was very different, and unexpected this time around.

As you know, black isn’t my favourite colour, however, this Alexander McQueen gown was so simple, and elegant, I was swept away by the glamour of it all, as it provides the perfect back drop for her accessories to shine.

I would’ve been even more enamored had she worn the original version of this dress, but the sheer panel waist wouldn’t have gone down so well with the Queen, or the majority of the British public methinks.

Credit: Getty

, , , ,

Charlize Theron Wore A Givenchy Suit To The Hollywood Reporter’s Annual Women in Entertainment Breakfast Gala

Eva Longoria Wore Victoria Beckham To The Hollywood Reporter’s Annual Women in Entertainment Breakfast Gala

22 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge Wore Alexander McQueen For The Diplomatic Reception

1. Noor December 13, 2019 at 2:30 am #

Queen already? Kate is Beautiful. Jewelry seems too much, still this’s an unexpected outing with her usual dressing. very regal.

2. Paola102 December 12, 2019 at 9:13 pm #

So classy and modern, without being contrived. The velvet is to die for. I love the neckline and don’t mind all the bling.

3. Guest December 12, 2019 at 8:37 pm #

Heavy and aging and the necklace is overkill.

4. Guest December 12, 2019 at 6:45 pm #

OMG THOSE JEWELS. I think she looks amazing and that neckline is perfect for that gorgeous necklace. She is royalty and looks it.

5. Phee phee December 12, 2019 at 6:32 pm #

Class. as she always is.

6. Guest December 12, 2019 at 5:58 pm #

Did you see Catherine in a red Alessandra Rich dress that she wore the other day for a charity baking day? I think it was the same dress Leighton Meester wore a couple of months ago.

7. Guest December 12, 2019 at 4:26 pm #

The original version is great, but only red carpet great.

This version is fit for Royalty and she shines. What this ‘might’ve lack in (passe) sheer panel, itmakes up in the heightened shoulders.

It’s not even a matter of anyone disapproving the original version… the wearer obviously knows the difference between royalty and celebrity

8. KseniaBradner December 12, 2019 at 3:52 pm #

Yes Kate is the future Queen and the occasion was grand, but this gown belongs on a 60 year old woman.

9. Dominos December 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm #

Yikes both the earrings and necklace are brining down this look for me. The dress is gorgeous in its simplicity and would have been perfect with the tiara and simple diamond earrings.

10. Sharon M December 12, 2019 at 12:31 pm #

Yes, the necklace is overkill with the tiara and earrings…but she does look royal!

11. Guest December 12, 2019 at 12:20 pm #

YES! This is what I want from her. A sleek, modern gown. Love the navy velvet. And yes, I would have skipped the necklace but the Queen is also always dripping in jewels so I guess it is a thing. This and her green Jenny Packham from the Pakistan tour are some of her best evening looks ever. Simple, yes, but infinitely better than those A-line chiffon skirts that only look cute on 12 year olds.

12. Catarina_M December 12, 2019 at 11:41 am #

This dress would have been perfect for her in dark green. I don’t like the necklace with this neckline.

13. lelaid December 12, 2019 at 11:31 am #

A bit mature for my tastes (could be said for most of her outfits) and she should have lost the necklace.

14. Guest December 12, 2019 at 11:11 am #

I think she looks very regal, but the styling is not my cup of tea.

15. Guest December 12, 2019 at 10:19 am #

Downton Abbey comes to mind looking at this picture. Very classic and the material looks lush. I could picture Duchess Camilla in this but there probably is not much room for daring in this setting. Though I wonder whether something like Joely Richardson’s Roksanda dress at the ES theatre awards would have been suitable.

16. Guest December 12, 2019 at 10:04 am #

She shouldn’t have worn a necklace with this neckline.

17. CharlotteLG December 12, 2019 at 8:35 am #

The dress is goot but there’s too much going on with her styling! Tiara, necklace, earrings, pin, scarf..way too much

• Guest December 12, 2019 at 9:16 am #

I see what you mean, but in this occasion I found the styling “appropriate”
      The brooch and the sash are not decorative
      as for the jewellery, if a royal on an official reception can’t go all out, when can anyone? 😀

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards December 12, 2019 at 9:54 am #

I agree with this comment. All the accessories are mandatory for the event.

im not a fan of these royal order sashes. So going plain and simple works here as they often clash with the dress.

• CharlotteLG December 12, 2019 at 10:32 am #

I can understand that the sash (thanks, I didn’t know this word!) and the brooch are mandatory but the necklace/the earrings/the tiara maybe not all 3 of them.
      Or maybe smaller earrings and necklace.
      IMO, it’s too much and it doesn’t work very well together.

• Guest December 12, 2019 at 11:10 am #

I tend to judge the whole matching thing with a different perspective in this context, considering the historical value of the pieces of jewellery, which are usually loaned from the queen herself.

18. Guest December 12, 2019 at 8:26 am #

I think the dress is navy, it can be seen on some pics made when they sat in the car.