Menu

November 18, 2019

Michelle Obama attended the 2019 American Portrait Gala at Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery in Washington on Sunday (November 17).

The former first lady was there to support of her friend Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is now a permanent fixture on the wall at Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.

Michelle has had many breath-taking moments in fashion.

My personal favourites are the Marchesa gown worn to the 2012 White House State dinner.

The J. Mendel gown worn to the 2012 BET Awards.

The Vera Wang gown worn to The 34th Kennedy Center Honors.

The Tom Ford gown worn to the Buckingham Palace State Banquet.

The Alexander McQueen gown worn to the President Jintao State Dinner.

The Jason Wu gown worn to the Inaugural Ball, and my number one favourite; the Atelier Versace gown worn at the last state dinner back in 2016.

I would add this custom Schiaparelli Haute Couture gown to the illustrious list from her Hall of Fame, even though I wish the waist had been more defined.

Much like the Atelier Versace, this look is very unexpected.  From the colour, the bustier cut and overlay embellishments.

Some might liken this to an ode to the Diana Ross and the Supremes, but I love the majestic nature of it all.

It was a gala, it’s the festive season, so why the hell not?

J’adore. Do you feel the same?

Credit: AP/ Schiaparelli

, , , , , , ,

Zazie Beetz Has The Midas Touch For The 2019 TrevorLive Los Angeles Gala

Zazie Beetz Has The Midas Touch For The 2019 TrevorLive Los Angeles Gala

Kerry Washington Brings Vintage Florals To The Indie Contenders Roundtable

Kerry Washington Brings Vintage Florals To The Indie Contenders Roundtable

24 Responses to Michelle Obama Wore Custom Schiaparelli Haute Couture To The 2019 American Portrait Gala

1. Guest November 20, 2019 at 2:33 pm #

thsi was a wooooooow for me, one of her best if not THE best  Atelier Versace gown worn at the last state dinner back in 2016.
    Thsi one is not flattering , but she still looks good

2. Guest November 20, 2019 at 2:54 am #

First Lady Michelle looks STUNNING!

3. Guest November 19, 2019 at 3:03 am #

What a treat to see her & a roundup? Thanks FC!

4. Phee phee November 19, 2019 at 12:54 am #

Uh nope. that is very unflattering.

5. Guest November 18, 2019 at 8:30 pm #

I love that she took a risk in such a sexy dress. My all time favorites are the Versace and Tom Ford.

6. Guest November 18, 2019 at 7:14 pm #

Love her hair, full stop. Going back and forth on the dress color, could be the museum lighting harshening the yellow which would normally be a fab color on her. Kinda digging the chains….

7. Los_NGLS November 18, 2019 at 5:59 pm #

I LIVE and DIE for the Obamas, but especially Michelle. She can do absolutely no wrong in my book, and I’m delighted to get to see her in a gown/couture again after her mostly pants suit book tour.

This makes me think of that Anna Wintour interview where they referenced Michelle while asking about the current US First Lady, and Anna answered by praising Michelle and ignoring the other one ♥️

8. Guest November 18, 2019 at 5:32 pm #

That Versace gown was everything. Mrs Obama has rocked some great looks over the years and I truly miss her but this dress is not a great one. The outline of cups is too small for her frame. The dress makes her look blocky. Overall, the “cage,”including the scale of the straps is just wrong for her body. On the good side, the color is not bad on her, here beauty look is great, and the length is great and I am here for anything honoring Lin-Manuel Miranda.

9. Guest November 18, 2019 at 4:16 pm #

I love the design but it needed more definition at the waist, the yellow ombre is lost.

10. Guest November 18, 2019 at 4:04 pm #

Honestly, this is just horrific.

The colour and satin fabric look cheap, the chains are strange and the bottom is so unfinished. But the bodice.. my goodness, the small flat cups together with the boxy waist do not look good at all. the more I look at the part between bust and waist, the more it looks like a swimming suit.

Michelle has worn some amazing gowns during Barack’s time in office, although she clearly is trying to move on from that time and that style. Unfortunately, for me, her recent ‘cool’ looks have mostly been disasters. But hey, she seems to be having fun and in the end that’s all that matters!

• Guest November 18, 2019 at 7:48 pm #

Exactly what you said.

• Guest November 18, 2019 at 8:21 pm #

third this

11. Guest November 18, 2019 at 3:56 pm #

I love MO’s style and most of her looks, but this dress is so unflattering on her bust. It is a miss for me.

12. Paola102 November 18, 2019 at 3:44 pm #

I believe it’s the way she’s standing with her hands in front of her that make the dress look boxy. The colour and the shape of the dress are so good. She looks radiant. Love her hair.

13. Guest November 18, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

I totally agree regarding the waist, I think the fit could have been way more defined. BUT she is so breathtaking in this gown. This is definitely her color I would live to see her in more bright neons like this!

14. MissHebble November 18, 2019 at 2:30 pm #

Neck up I adore it. Neck down… I’m not sure, something just doesnt feel quite right? Mrs O looks radiant though and LMM is my fave. I have a lot of time for both of them, a ray of sunshine amongst all the brexit, Trump, election bollocks 😬

15. KseniaBradner November 18, 2019 at 2:26 pm #

Very random, very Dynasty…interesting. I don’t hate it because I love bonkers fashion choices.

16. Guest November 18, 2019 at 1:38 pm #

This is not good.

17. Vizual Ninja November 18, 2019 at 1:36 pm #

If the fit were better this would’ve been a knockout. I also love her hair like this. There are more elements that I like than I don’t so it’s still a win for me.

18. Guest November 18, 2019 at 1:21 pm #

Two looks came to mind seeing this- Kim Kardashian in vintage Versace 95 and Michelle’s Balenciaga look – which I still stan. She looks amazing and BDOTW worthy. The overlay is really interesting against the yellow.

19. Catarina_M November 18, 2019 at 1:12 pm #

I love the dress but it’s very unflattering on Michelle, as it doesn’t define her waist and makes her look boxy. Love the hair.

20. Guest November 18, 2019 at 12:32 pm #

It looks like a basic satin dress on top of which someone put on some chains. The chains don’t hug her figure hence the boxy appearance.

I almost wish it was sans chains, at least it would have been a very sultry body hugging satin dress.

I do love the hair and make up <3!

21. Guest November 18, 2019 at 12:28 pm #

Perhaps this looks flattering from a different angle, but based on what I’m seeing, the cups and upper part of the bodice are not flattering. The colour is unexpected but I don’t know if I’m in love it on her, or her hair. Have to admit that gold Versace was definitely her best to date. I’d forgotten about it.

22. CharlotteLG November 18, 2019 at 12:19 pm #

I’m surprised to read this as I find the dress pretty unflattering.
    It makes her look boxy and like she has no waist.
    I like the color and the silver lining but the top should have been different IMO.