Menu

October 21, 2019

Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands State Visit To India

Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands State Visit To India

The King of Netherlands King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima arrived in India on Sunday (October 13) for a five-day state visit.

As you would expect, the Queen was on splendid form.

Here are eight of her most noteworthy looks.

Official Welcoming Ceremony: On Monday (October 14), the royals were officially greeted by President Ram Nath Kovind.  Queen Maxima wore a beautiful blue-grey dress by Belgium based designer Natan, with a matching hat by Fabienne Delvigne.  The drapery works off-the-shoulder, but not so much for me at the waist.

Official State Banquet: The Queen wore her first traditional look of the trip at the official state banquet President Ram Nath Kovind at the Presidential Palace on the same day.  Giving me, what might be my fifth BDOTY worthy look this October.

She looked resplendent wearing a pale pink bespoke gown by her favourite designer, Jan Taminiau

The dress was cut in a style similar to the traditional sari, with the cape sleeve giving this look its regal air, along with the diamond bandeau tiara of course.

I’m stunned by the delicate pink floral embroidery, but not a huge fan of the Aquazzura platform shoes.

A matching pale pink clutch completed her look.

Tomb of Safdarjung Visit: Wearing another Natan dress.  I want to say the hat saves the look, but I’m not a fan of the ruching on the skirt. This doesn’t feel as polished as the others.

Chapratie Shivaji Museum Visit:  For her visit to the Rembrandt exhibition on Wednesday (October 16), the Queen wore another Natan dress with another hat from Fabienne Delvigne.  While hat does feel appropriate, the necklace feels a bit OTT.  This look was a rerun from when the royals paid a visit to Curaçao in July 2018.  As you can see, the look fares much better without the necklace.

Dutch Society in India Reception:   Zimmermann’s usual free-spirited beachy aesthetic was dialed up a few notches in this ’70s floral print dress.

Between the buttons dancing up to a high neck to the puffed sleeves adding a dramatic sense of volume, I can see why the Queen opted to wear this piece which feels heavily Indian inspired.

Mattancherry Palace Visit:   It would appear that the Queen has a thing for Fabienne Delvigne hats, as this was the third by the designer during this trip.  What I loved about this Natan striped dress, is that it seemed to pay homage to the national flag of India’s with its horizontal rectangular tri-colour of saffron, white and green.

Chief Minister of the State Kerala Dinner: Jan Taminiau created another beautiful one-shoulder sari during the final dinner of the royal tour.  On this occasion the accessories helped uplift the look, but I wish she had worn her hair up.

Alleppe Cruise: On the final day, the Queen finished as she started; in a lace dress by Natan, styled with a Fabienne Delvigne fascinator.   I adore the vibrancy of this orange look, which  I much prefer to her opener.

Credit: Getty

Shop the look

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

Katrina Kaif's High Low Ballgown For The Vogue Women Of The Year Awards 2019

Katrina Kaif’s High Low Ballgown For The Vogue Women Of The Year Awards 2019

Kate Beckinsale Serves Up Some Architectural Brilliance On The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

22 Responses to Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands State Visit To India

1. Guest October 28, 2019 at 6:19 pm #

The tri-colour striped dress is actually from Jan Taminiau’s ready-to-wear line.

2. Guest October 23, 2019 at 4:41 pm #

Love Max and her style. She always brings it, but not liking the Natan dress with the weird ruching. It makes me think of old school c-section scars before they did them left to right (my mom had one). Max is go big or go home and I love that about her.

3. Guest October 22, 2019 at 5:47 pm #

I just love Queen Maxima.
    Look at that pink dress!

4. Guest October 22, 2019 at 5:29 pm #

Finally a Queen Maxima post! I was getting so bored with Meghan and also Kate. Love the use of colour in her choice of dresses and she really looks stunning. The pink and green sari’s are my favorite.

5. Guest October 22, 2019 at 4:18 pm #

Far more interesting and stylish than anything either duchess has ever worn!

6. Phee phee October 22, 2019 at 3:30 pm #

The second dress is also my fave. the pink is gorgeous. I adore the cape sleeve.
    it won’t go on my best dress list but it is lovely.

7. Guest October 22, 2019 at 12:03 pm #

The pink sari is gorgeous on Maxima. She looks like such fun. The second and third dresses do nothing for her. The rest are lovely on her.

8. Sharon M October 22, 2019 at 11:27 am #

The pink…wow. I also love the green from the same designer. The rest of the looks (except that nice rose casual dress) are typical Maxima…very much the costume with bad hats. But…that is her style. She certainly always stands out, which is her purpose in picking her clothes.

9. Guest October 22, 2019 at 11:27 am #

Thanks for listening to your readers and putting up this post! I’m not really a follower of the queen’s style so am curious — does she normally do a lot of colour, or is this a hat-tip to India? she carries the bright oranges and pinks so well for a Caucasian.

• Guest October 23, 2019 at 4:43 pm #

She is known for color and styles that no one else can ever truly get away with.

• MissCoco November 8, 2019 at 10:44 am #

Maybe the reason is that she is argentinian, pure latin blood!!! Not caucasian ??

10. Guest October 22, 2019 at 11:05 am #

The pink gown is nice (ignoring the platforms) but I am really drawn to that tri-color dress. H2T, fab, fab, fab, love the colors, the hat, the heels. Also loving her hair down with the green, she looks refreshed.

11. Guest October 22, 2019 at 10:21 am #

Both Jan Taminiau gowns are fantastic! Especially the pink one…it’s ridiculously gorgeous. I also really love the Zimmermann. She’s a true Queen

12. Guest October 22, 2019 at 10:09 am #

She looks best in the green sari . I truly do not get her style as it’s all over the place but at least she looks like she is having fun

13. Catarina_M October 22, 2019 at 8:23 am #

The Jan Taminiau and the Zimmermann are my favourites, but she looks good in every single one.

14. Guest October 22, 2019 at 6:59 am #

The embroidery on the the eveningwear pink is to die for. She should be nominated for best designer ambassador. The striped Natan and Zimmermann are my favourites for the day wear looks.

15. Guest October 22, 2019 at 6:05 am #

I just like the pink (really like it actually) and the green one. The green sari and jewellery are really good. Even the last orange one. The rest of the looks not so much.

16. Jess Mara October 22, 2019 at 12:56 am #

I cant pick – they are all so good!! But I think the pink gown is BDOTY. Yet another one from the glorious month that has been October

17. Guest October 21, 2019 at 10:59 pm #

The pink gown is perfection on her.Overall, style-wise, it was a great visit to India. She really nailed a lot of these looks; there’s great variety, too!

18. Los_NGLS October 21, 2019 at 10:17 pm #

Don’t know (without Googling) how old Queen Maxima is, but the Jan Taminiau green sari and its styling make her look 10 years younger than all the other looks, so that is an EASY favorite for me.

Second favorite is the pink Jan Taminiau.

The only thing that upsets me is that she did not wear Sabyasachi.

19. Guest October 21, 2019 at 10:02 pm #

That pink dress is STUNNING.

20. alvarospain October 21, 2019 at 9:50 pm #