Menu

May 17, 2019 Premiere

Penelope Cruz In Chanel Haute Couture - ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Penelope Cruz joined a host of glamorous ladies on the red carpet for the premiere of ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ during the 2019 Cannes Film Festival on Friday (May 17) in France.

My first reaction?

Why is she wearing a backpack on the red carpet.

This Chanel Haute Couture gown is stunning.

I love this vintage style silhouette which I remember Karl Lagerfeld presenting during his Spring 2002 Haute Couture collection.

But those navy bow accented straps are firmly closing the door on me loving this.

Atelier Swarovski By Penelope Cruz jewels completed her look.

Embed from Getty Images

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , , ,

Bella Hadid In Roberto Cavalli Archive - ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Bella Hadid In Roberto Cavalli Archive – ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Araya A. Hargate In Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture - ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Araya A. Hargate In Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture – ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

23 Responses to Penelope Cruz In Chanel Haute Couture – ‘Pain And Glory (Dolor Y Gloria/ Douleur Et Glorie)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. MissCoco May 20, 2019 at 11:14 am #

The dress is beautiful, the artisanal work on the fabric is beautiful, but why ruined it adding those blue ribbons? Those shoes? She looks like Mariquita Sanchez de Thompson. Google it. ????

2. MissHebble May 18, 2019 at 12:42 pm #

The dress is beautiful but I feel like it is doing something weird to her proportions and making her look quite short. Still a stunning dress though.

3. Guest May 18, 2019 at 6:26 am #

So apparently she has a thing for backpacks, since she also worn one to the Golden Globe awards back in January…

I know she tends to go for that Audrey Hepburn-esque vibe (see the year she won her Academy Award) but I prefer her in full Sofia Loren mode.

4. CharlotteLG May 18, 2019 at 5:31 am #

I don’t like the dress and I don’t think it works on her.

5. Guest May 18, 2019 at 4:51 am #

I love this in concept but not in execution… she looks so short

6. Guest May 18, 2019 at 4:09 am #

This is kind of a weird look. She does look like she has a backpack on but most of all it makes her legs looks like stumps. Not a good look.

7. Guest May 18, 2019 at 3:32 am #

I really hate when you guys comment on people’s height, but this dress does make her super short

8. Jerusa04 May 18, 2019 at 3:19 am #

Lol at the backpack comment!

And no, I don’t like this at all. I wish she stopped wearing Chanel.

9. Charlotte2019 May 18, 2019 at 3:17 am #

Yas,this is the Super star moment I’ve been waiting for.
    love the dress,surprised to find out it was Chanel,WHUT?
    My only nitpick would be the aging hairdo

10. Fiona23 May 18, 2019 at 2:29 am #

Did she have the same hairstylist as Bella Hadid?
    Also had same thought about the backpack and the length of the dress is odd – just a bit longer than tea length but not full length – it makes her looks short as we cannot see her feet.

11. Guest May 17, 2019 at 11:19 pm #

All I can say is no while shaking my head.

12. _Hannah_ May 17, 2019 at 11:12 pm #

Again, like with Araya A. Hargate’s dress, I like the idea of the dress, don’t like the Penelope in it, don’t like the “backpack” vibe, don’t like the proportions, and don’t like the hair, too.

13. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:33 pm #

There’s just something about this length that makes her look awkward and short.

14. NZ May 17, 2019 at 10:29 pm #

I love the print but the construction of the dress is just super unflattering.

15. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:24 pm #

Bravo! I love that! She looks like a country goddess, and the make up is delicious too.

• Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:26 pm #

Like a Stepford wife in Chanel

16. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:23 pm #

I like the print from afar and appreciate the fabric you even more in close up.

The hair is very matronly and there is something about the length and construction that makes it very awkward. I agree it completely stumps her. Shame as it’s one of her better Chanel looks as of late.

17. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:22 pm #

I like that Chanel is veering more towards the custom territory but this is a case of the wrong dress on the wrong person for me. Don’t like the print or the silhouette for Penelope and the overall look with those sandals and the hair has a dated and aging effect. And the thing is I don’t understand how one would pick this print and this silhouette from the SS19 couture collection and combine them to make a dress for Penelope Cruz, I’m baffled

18. OGCaroline May 17, 2019 at 10:21 pm #

Terrible. Just terrible.

19. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:21 pm #

It’s a pretty print and charming old world style dress which feels very her and great to see her out of black again but it’s stumping her and the random blue straps are distracting.

20. Guest May 17, 2019 at 10:17 pm #

Stunning dress but she isn’t carrying it well. Awful hairstyle. Very matronly.

21. Phee phee May 17, 2019 at 10:13 pm #

well certainly a different look for her. I love the silhouette and the fabric. so delicate and lovely.
    I have an issue with the odd placements of the straps. Why there??
    so strange.
    also, The top picture…something about the look seems out of proportion. Like she’s missing part of her legs or she’s kneeling.

• HighPriestess May 17, 2019 at 10:54 pm #

YES about the proportion. It looks so weird.