Menu

October 30, 2018 Runway To Red Carpet

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Maggie Marilyn – Courtney Creative

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Maggie Marilyn - Courtney Creative

At the end of day 2 in New Zealand, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex attended an event celebrating the Wellington’s thriving art scene at Courtney Creative on Sunday (October 29).

The Duchess wore a custom white tuxedo dress from New Zealand based label Maggie Marilyn.

Aside from the fact Maggie Marilyn is a local designer, Meghan would’ve been attracted to this brand because Maggie Marilyn Hewitt only creates ethically made pieces.

I’m pretty certain the most royal purists are bursting a blood vessel because;

a. Meghan is not wearing tights and,

b. she’s wearing a dress above the knee.

I don’t really care for either issue.

My main feeling is that this design works better for Meghan sans sleeves, and much better than her Antonio Berardi offering.

This dress has been worn twice, with sleeves by Zosia Mamet and Storm Reid.

Maggie Marilyn Leap of Faith Mini Dress

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Priyanka Chopra In Marchesa - Bridal Shower

Priyanka Chopra In Marchesa – Bridal Shower

Nicole Kidman In Markus Lupfer - 'Boy Erased' LA Premiere

Nicole Kidman In Markus Lupfer – ‘Boy Erased’ LA Premiere

18 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Maggie Marilyn – Courtney Creative

1. Caroline October 31, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

I don’t like it without the sleeves.

2. Jerusa Herrera October 31, 2018 at 8:14 am #

Very cute!

3. A October 30, 2018 at 6:14 pm #

She’s become thinner. Looked healthier before marriage. Her legs are just near invisible, doesn’t look good.

• Ally October 30, 2018 at 11:33 pm #

This isn’t a fashion comment. I don’t think there’s many forum left where its ok for you to criticize someone’s body and body shame them.

4. Anne-Marie October 30, 2018 at 6:04 pm #

She should remove her hands from pockets.

• SilentVisitor October 30, 2018 at 6:48 pm #

Wow!!! never seen something like this before……..guess I am impressed

5. Ksenia October 30, 2018 at 4:23 pm #

Love it. It’s modern, interesting in shape and as FC pointed out, popping the blood vessels of pearl-clutchers, which is always a good thing in my book.

I was hoping THIS would be her Berardi moment. Hopefully we’ll get another go with him.

6. justme October 30, 2018 at 2:08 pm #

Pantyhose are only mandatory when The Queen is in attendance. And I’ve seen too many royals with above the knee dresses to know that there’s no rule against it.

Meghan was right in getting rid of the sleeves (because yikes) but I’m still not a fan of it. It’s just an okay look for me.

7. Charlotte October 30, 2018 at 8:50 am #

The dress looks way better without the sleeves.
    The shoes could have been better though, but still she looks good.

8. TeaAtTwo October 30, 2018 at 6:31 am #

She looks cute and approachable and like a modern woman. Just not keen on those black shoes with it, think she could have had more fun.

• justme October 30, 2018 at 2:04 pm #

The shoes are navy. They match the Gillian Anderson coat she was wearing.

• TeaAtTwo October 30, 2018 at 5:30 pm #

Ok, they read as black. I think she could have had more fun colour wise.

• SilentVisitor October 30, 2018 at 6:48 pm #

9. JHH October 30, 2018 at 4:31 am #

It looks like all they did was remove the sleeves from the dress and then finished the edges and so the proportions are sort of odd at the shoulds and underarm area. If you are going to take the sleeves off a dress you usually have to do some additional alterations to make it work as a sleeveless dress and I feel like those were not done here. Also, this dress needs a different shoe. The lapels should have been really crisply ironed or taped down so they stay flat and the buttons should have been adjusted across her chest. She needs a tailor or a person with an eye for detail in her style squad. It’s a shame because this could have been a cute look.

• Giada October 30, 2018 at 9:02 am #

+1 Spot on.

10. Amy October 30, 2018 at 4:02 am #

She looks cute and comfortable. I needed better shoes but this is okay

11. brat October 30, 2018 at 3:47 am #

I like nothing about this. Her black tuxedo outing was far more successful. The model pulls it off with ease.

12. Vizual Ninja October 30, 2018 at 2:06 am #

It’s cute, I think I prefer the sleeved version, though it may have been too fussy for her taste and the occasion. Is the above the knee rule really a thing for them? I thought 2 inches above was ok? Or is that just for common folk lol