Menu

August 29, 2018

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Judith & Charles – ‘Hamilton’ Gala Performance

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Judith & Charles - 'Hamilton' Gala Performance

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle  paused their summer vacation to attend a gala performance of ‘Hamilton’ at the Victoria Palace Theater in London this evening (August 29), in support of Sentebale, the charity co-founded by Harry that helps children and young people affected by HIV in Lesotho and Botswana.

Many of you have expressed disappointment in the Duchess not wearing British brands, but it seems like she’s having a moment of championing Canadian brands; as this time she picked a look from Judith & Charles.

The tuxedo-style dress is chic, well-tailored, fits and is right on trend with the wave of power, menswear-inspired suiting we are seeing of late, yet you won’t be at surprised by the fact that I found the overall look very underwhelming.

Yes, this wasn’t a gown gala event, but is a colour other than black, navy or blush too much to ask? Is it?

A Stella McCartney gold clutch, Shaun Leane Talon earrings and black suede Stuart Weitzman ‘Tippi’ pumps completed her look.

Credit: Getty

‘First Man’ Venice Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

‘First Man’ Venice Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2018 Venice Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2018 Venice Film Festival Opening Ceremony?

40 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Judith & Charles – ‘Hamilton’ Gala Performance

1. Rebecca Z August 31, 2018 at 6:00 pm #

I have no idea what her style history is, but I am also not surprised that she has not come out gangbusters. Criticism is inevitable for her and she is either very comfortable with her choices or is being careful–who could blame her. Her wedding gown was way outside the mold just based on its simplicity. Perhaps minimalism is her style. It works for me.

2. Amanda F August 31, 2018 at 5:40 am #

I think she looks lovely but I also understand the boring sentiments that have been expressed. Part of me thinks that she is trying to blend in rather than stand out at the moment. There is not a day that goes by that someone in her whack family is not trying to steal the spotlight by selling tidbits of info to the press. Maybe she just doesn’t want to be the centre of attention and just needs some time to figure her style strategy.

3. LaLa August 30, 2018 at 6:38 pm #

I really like this look, as it’s less formal and try-hard then many of the looks she’s worn.

4. Eva August 30, 2018 at 6:33 pm #

I was also hoping for more, as galas/premieres and such are usually the time where we get to see royals do glamorous – as opposed to the more formal daytime-type events they mostly do.
    She looks good. It fits well. I don’t like the hair much, but it’s minor. It’s just.. fine, unexciting. I guess I too had set my expectations too high.

5. Caroline August 30, 2018 at 3:11 pm #

She looks so good.

6. Nat123 August 30, 2018 at 2:47 pm #

I did not like her hairdo. This look is ok. As you Catherine, I am disappointed by her fashion too. Her style was so much better during the engagement period that I was hoping she would keep up with that.

7. AnnaP August 30, 2018 at 1:40 pm #

The Duchess of Sussex looked fabulous again. Very similar to a look worn by Queen Letitzia – https://twitter.com/HeavenQRF/status/1034860533076434944

I adore her accessories and that she is wearing a style that is so Meghan.

Gorgeous hair and makeup too. What a inspirational couple her and Prince Harry are.

8. bisbee August 30, 2018 at 12:54 pm #

I think she looks great and happy. I’m in the U.S., so maybe that’s it, but I don’t expect her to be a fashion plate. That’s what movie stars are for.

9. Christine August 30, 2018 at 8:09 am #

She was never a style icon back when she was acting – so I’m not expecting the same in her newly royal title.

I think she’s looks nice here. Event appropriate!

10. Mimi August 30, 2018 at 4:32 am #

At least there isn’t a fit issue this time. She looks great although the standard is very low

11. Blair August 30, 2018 at 1:39 am #

i like it but i was wondering if people might think her skirt is a bit too short? hehe

12. TeaAtTwo August 30, 2018 at 1:00 am #

She’s been pretty boring fashion wise, but I’m fine with the black on this occasion. However, she should be championing British labels now.

• Jill August 30, 2018 at 1:27 am #

That’s not a rule or even a protocol is it? Canada is a commonwealth Country so wearing Canadian labels is representative isn’t it?

13. JHH August 30, 2018 at 12:52 am #

I think she looks fine — plain and simple and that is okay with me. I think the expectations for her to be some kind of fashion star were too high to begin with and that has led to disappointment. Plus, I do not think that this particular event was truly a gala in terms of expecting formal wear. If it was, the men in the pictures are also underdressed. She looks fine and quite harmonious with what Harry is wearing.

• brat August 30, 2018 at 1:16 am #

• CJ August 30, 2018 at 8:50 am #

• Iva August 30, 2018 at 10:26 am #

• yumey August 30, 2018 at 10:49 am #

100% agree with this, she looks beautiful.

• SilentVisitor August 30, 2018 at 12:46 pm #

I think she looks fine. She is a beautiful woman; at least the dress is modern!!!……….

The day she starts wearing coat dresses like all the other British royal women, I will know the game is over

• Alina August 31, 2018 at 4:05 pm #

• Amy September 4, 2018 at 11:20 pm #

ditto. she looks great sharp and appropriate.

14. justme August 30, 2018 at 12:36 am #

She wants to make a point and the British media is proving her right with every single appearance. The dress is very simple yet like clockwork, I’ve already seen articles commenting about the length and Meghan the so-called protocol breaker. So yeah, she’s going to keep her style simple until they start acting normal lol.

Her shoes are by Paul Andrew, not Stuart Weitzman.

15. Meme August 30, 2018 at 12:18 am #

I love the dress and thinks she looks great. I live in NYC and we wear black all the time.

16. mm August 30, 2018 at 12:08 am #

I am convinced she will dress very boring until her attire is not the topic of conversation. She doesn’t want that to be the focus. She wants to be the wallflower at the party.

• Caitlin August 30, 2018 at 12:56 am #

Interesting point! I’ve never thought of it that way.

17. Laura August 30, 2018 at 12:02 am #

I think she looks great – i mean its no blazer over another blazer though…

• justme August 30, 2018 at 12:27 am #

Petty lmao

• CreoleLady August 30, 2018 at 1:51 am #

Hahahaha, that’s some royal shade, lol, yeah, still laughing at Blake Lively’s velvet double blazer ridiculousness.

The Duchess of Sussex look absolutely theatre appropriate and seems thrilled to be among talented thespians. Love.

• JHH August 30, 2018 at 2:19 am #

LOL, don’t forget that both blazers were velvet in August in NYC but she compensated by wearing no shirt. At least, that look is good for laughs a couple of weeks later.

18. brat August 29, 2018 at 11:51 pm #

I’m content, Catherine. She will never be a style icon or a showstopper as some you chronicle here, I’ve come to realize this and manage my expectations for her accordingly.

This is simple, modern and chic. She looks beautiful.

• Jas August 30, 2018 at 3:14 am #

+1 I think she looks very chic

19. JessNess August 29, 2018 at 11:39 pm #

urgh. she is not stylish at all. or just keeping it bland as she’s too scared to make a mistake.

20. NZ August 29, 2018 at 11:33 pm #

I like it. She looks impeccable and this style suits her so much.

21. Vizual Ninja August 29, 2018 at 11:30 pm #

Ooo FC girl, get ready for some comments with that second to last sentence lol. This is ok to me, I wish it was a little longer, the length seems weird but overall sharp look.

• Catherine Kallon August 29, 2018 at 11:42 pm #

Honestly, I’m a little bored by her now. I had really high expectations prior to her wedding.

• brat August 30, 2018 at 12:51 am #

But Catherine, in all fairness, she has never been one for bright, bold colors or prints and flamboyance. Minimalist and neutral were themes of hers even prior to the BRF.

• Catherine Kallon August 30, 2018 at 10:30 am #

As a new royal I was expecting her to bring some excitement to royal style like the European royals do

• Christine August 30, 2018 at 11:45 am #

I hear you, Catherine. But she was never “stylish” or celebrated for her style when she was an actress.

I think the high expectation is unfair. Of course, I want her to step up her style game, but she’s being true to her style here. If you look at her past photos – she wasn’t fearless when it comes to outfits. Lol

• brat August 30, 2018 at 5:04 pm #

I guess Catherine was hoping with the resources at her disposal she would really elevate her game, and has been let down. Understandable.

• Christine August 30, 2018 at 7:57 pm #

That I understand! We all want to her to step up her style game, but at the very least she’s being true to her style.

Baby steps, I guess