Menu

December 23, 2017

Best Dressed International Star of the Year – Fan Bingbing

Posted by Rachel Watkins

It’s quite difficult not to be captivated by the glamour of Fan Bingbing.

Every time she steps on the red carpet, she delivers another version of her signature drama as she weaves her very own fashion fairytale.

For awhile, we may have thought the Asian beauty was only a princess-gown and platform-pumps girl.

But, she had so many unexpected moments throughout the year—even donning single-sole shoes on occasion—that she quickly put that notion to rest.

Sure, Fan presented plenty of her classic looks: traditionally prim, feminine, and elegant. Then, she would sweep us off our feet in another way with more audacious dazzlers—from sultry stunners, to daring drama, directional looks, and fantastical confections.

Her adventurous spirit really came to the fore in 2017.

Credit: Getty

Brand Ambassador of the Year - Alicia Vikander for Louis Vuitton

Brand Ambassador of the Year – Alicia Vikander for Louis Vuitton

Stylist of the Year - Law Roach

Stylist of the Year – Law Roach

18 Responses to Best Dressed International Star of the Year – Fan Bingbing

1. Amy December 27, 2017 at 8:45 am #

Fan doesn’t play. Her last week was mind blowing. I love it

2. VG December 25, 2017 at 11:02 am #

Gorgeous!! She looked amazing every time she stepped out this year! She’s truly amazing.

3. Caroline December 24, 2017 at 2:04 pm #

I gave it to Deepika Padukone just for a change as Fan has already won this category. I wasn’t WOWED by any of her looks this year except for her red Valentino at Cannes which didn’t get much love.

4. Christine December 23, 2017 at 11:40 pm #

Who else was in her lane this year? Apart from the dry Cannes run – this was her year.

5. EmmaWoodhouse December 23, 2017 at 9:50 pm #

She is my style icon and queen and I ADORE HER. SO glad to see her recognized and really enjoying the looks selected here.

6. Alina December 23, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

I think this was Fan’s best year yet. And that’s saying something given her record.
    She has been consistent and her looks have been more diverse. She pulled off quirky and princessy with equal aplomb. Truly a pleasure to see her on the red carpet.

Hopefully Nievez will make more appearances next year so we can see a little competition.

• Catherine Kallon December 23, 2017 at 8:39 pm #

I agree. Definitely her best year, even though her Cannes run didn’t blow me away

• Alina December 23, 2017 at 9:27 pm #

I was going to write that about her Cannes run, but I thought maybe my opinion was not accurate because of the high expectations I was projecting.

• Bella December 26, 2017 at 5:25 am #

Fan Bing Bing said in the Chinese news interview during Cannes this year that she wanted to focus on her role as one of the film festival judges which she took seriously so she chose simpler fashions compare to other years when she was in Cannes as the Loreal’s spoke woman. It was a different role and different focus for her at Cannes this year.

7. Leandra December 23, 2017 at 5:08 pm #

She looks spectacular in all those non-princesses looks. She is the definition of “hors concours”.

8. Trinny December 23, 2017 at 4:02 pm #

I mean… was there really any other person that would have won in this category? I can’t remember if there was a single look throughout the year that I’ve disliked from her.

• Catherine Kallon December 23, 2017 at 4:03 pm #

No. No one came even a quarter of the way close. She really is in a league of her own.

• Fiona-Brasil December 23, 2017 at 4:05 pm #

+ 2

9. Schoolbea December 23, 2017 at 4:02 pm #

Always sad to see how my beloved Nieves Alvarez has been dethroned (actually, and sadly, long ago), but I have to agree. Many of her looks were simply breath-taking.

10. JHH December 23, 2017 at 3:51 pm #

This had to be a win by a landslide. Fan Bingbing was killing it all year despite the periodic lapses in her footwear choices.

• Catherine Kallon December 23, 2017 at 4:04 pm #

Over 50% of the votes. Should just hand it to her in future.

• JHH December 23, 2017 at 4:49 pm #

In my town, they do a best of the year poll and after a business wins 3 year in a row, it is retired to the hall of fame for a year to give newcomers a chance. Maybe if Fan Bingbing keeps this up, you’ll have to that in this category.

• kelly December 24, 2017 at 1:44 am #

I quite like her giant platforms! She makes them all her own. Granted I’ve never seen her in motion in them.