Menu

December 23, 2017 Best Of

Best Dressed of 2017 – Readers’ Choice

Posted by Catherine Kallon

1. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan In Michael Cinco Couture – ‘Okja’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
2. Celine Dion In Stéphane Rolland Couture – 2017 Billboard Music Awards
3. Lily Aldridge In J. Mendel – Bvlgari Festa High Jewelry Event
4. Emma Stone In Givenchy Couture – 2017 Oscars
5. Elle Fanning In Rodarte – ‘The Beguiled’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
6. Jennifer Lawrence In Atelier Versace -‘Mother!’ London Premiere
7. Jessica Chastain In Armani Privé – Cannes Film Festival 70th Anniversary Celebration
8. Cara Delevingne In Iris van Herpen Couture – ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ LA Premiere
9. Nicole Kidman In Calvin Klein By Appointment – ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
10. Zendaya Coleman In Moschino – ‘The Greatest Showman’ Sydney Premiere

Best Dressed Men of 2017 - Readers' Choice

Best Dressed Men of 2017 – Readers’ Choice

Trend to End in 2017 - Sheer Dresses

Trend to End in 2017 – Sheer Dresses

106 Responses to Best Dressed of 2017 – Readers’ Choice

1. Guest December 23, 2017 at 11:30 pm #

I agree with the choices except for 1, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9

2. Christine December 23, 2017 at 11:30 pm #

I agree with the choices except for 1, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9

3. Guest December 23, 2017 at 11:11 pm #

Selin was terrific, but remembering all the tracks, it was Aishwarya’s remembrance that was remembered most, forgive)

4. Alena December 23, 2017 at 11:11 pm #

5. Guest December 23, 2017 at 10:42 pm #

Lily!!! She is my BDOTY because it’s a timeless and classic look. She looks like she could belong in any decade and still be stunningly gorgeous. I can easily see her in a black and white photo.

So my personal top 3 for BDOTY is Lily, Blake Lively in versace at the golden globes, and Angela sarafyan at the Emmys.

• Guest December 16, 2019 at 6:30 am #

i agree, lily’s is timeless classic look

6. Mimi December 23, 2017 at 10:42 pm #

7. Guest December 23, 2017 at 5:23 pm #

The best dress on the top! Amazing Aishwarya!!!

8. Cássia December 23, 2017 at 5:23 pm #

The best dress on the top! Amazing Aishwarya!!!

9. Guest December 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm #

I’ll never understand the hype around Aishwarya’s blue gown. It wasn’t something we haven’t seen from her before. and the hair and makeup were rather lacklustre too.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 5:47 pm #

It is what I call The Magpie Factor.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 6:47 pm #

Very much so.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 7:39 pm #

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 10:38 pm #

+2 I feel like anyone can put on that dress and people will have the same positive reaction, therefore I’ll never be one of my best dressed. To me, BDOTY has to include the whole look, not just the gown

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 10:40 pm #

It’ll*

• Guest December 27, 2017 at 3:17 pm #

Umm… no. Here’s the runway model in the same dress http://community.praisewedding.com/sparklyofftheshoulder/ and an actress in a pretty similar Michael Cinco dress https://www.poshandglamour.com/wp-content/uploads/Hofit-Golan-1.jpg

Not even half the impact. It’s Aishwarya in the dress, not the dress itself.

10. Amina December 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm #

• Leandra December 23, 2017 at 5:47 pm #

It is what I call The Magpie Factor.

• JHH December 23, 2017 at 6:47 pm #

Very much so.

• Maya December 23, 2017 at 7:39 pm #

• Mimi December 23, 2017 at 10:38 pm #

11. Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:37 pm #

The only looks I included in my top 10 out of this list were Elle, Lily and Jessica. Do not agree with this list nor did I expect this but oh well. Nice list anyway I guess.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 4:39 pm #

I can’t believe the Michael Cinco dress is the top choice. That did not even make my top 50 of the year. I miss Annabell Wallis in Armani on the list. Choices 3 and 10 are the only ones on my list but what I love about this blog is the variety of opinions.
      @ Catherine Kallon, thank you so much for bringing back my favorite blog. So happy you are back. Keep well, take care of yourself, happy holidays and all the best for 2018.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 4:40 pm #

Oops, I did not mean for my prior post to be a reply. I keep doing that. Gotta pay more attention.

12. Caroline December 23, 2017 at 3:37 pm #

• JHH December 23, 2017 at 4:39 pm #

• JHH December 23, 2017 at 4:40 pm #

13. Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

I am surprised with some choices (Elle Fanning, Jennifer Lawrence, Cara Delevigne, Emma Stone…) … At least 2 of my top 3 are in the list!!
    1-Annabelle Wallis in Giorgio Armani.
    2-Zendaya un Moschino.
    3-Jessica Chastain on Armani Privé.

14. alvarospain December 23, 2017 at 3:10 pm #

1-Annabelle Wallis in Giorgio Armani.
    2-Zendaya un Moschino.
    3-Jessica Chastain on Armani Privé.

15. Guest December 23, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

I had 1,3, 4 and 10 on my list. Surprised that Araya A Hargate didn’t feature – her Zuhair Murad gown at Cannes was one of my favourites 🙂 No Fan Bingbing either!

Catherine, thank you so much for your coverage this year – it has been wonderful to have you back. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year xx

16. Miss H December 23, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

17. Guest December 23, 2017 at 12:14 pm #

When I saw this list :
    My initial reaction was to do ” a Kane West act”, step in on the podium and strip off the award of her hands. ” NO, Aishwarya Rai, you are not the best one. The best one is my wifey.. no, I mean, Celine Dion !! “.
    My 2nd initial reaction was to wear a K Kardashian mask and to put fire on the dress while Aishwarya wears it, to avoid any future competition ,incriminating the Kreature at same time and taking her out the streets for a while
    My 3rd and more civilized reaction is to sit and cry while pondering about the future of planet Fashion.” Well, if Trump won, perhaps voting systems aren’t anything trustworthy anymore…”
    I’ll need a doble dosis of Ambien tonight but will start with the wine right now.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 12:41 pm #

@Schoolbea: Gfriend, call me! I need a shoulder to cry on…

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 2:55 pm #

*rushes with a bottle of Spanish red wine and two glasses*

I was SO sure that Celine would win. I had a different BDOTY but this was my very close second… I see strange choices all around in this list…

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:13 pm #

Welcome dear. Take a seat and help me to mitigate the burden…
      We took several steps back with this winner.
      This dress represents the old system, the patriarchal society. Women as an ornament, incapable of moving by themselves.
      Let’s not talk on the lack of creativity…

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

Seeing it alongside Celine’s statement makes it all even more obvious. It’s undeniably beautiful, but that’s it: mere beauty and drama. Originality, empowerment, greater doses of drama and modernity in spades is what I see in Stephane Rolland’s creation.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

I feel ya…

Celine was PERFECT!

18. Leandra December 23, 2017 at 12:14 pm #

When I saw this list :

• Leandra December 23, 2017 at 12:41 pm #

@Schoolbea: Gfriend, call me! I need a shoulder to cry on…

• Schoolbea December 23, 2017 at 2:55 pm #

*rushes with a bottle of Spanish red wine and two glasses*

• Leandra December 23, 2017 at 3:13 pm #

Welcome dear. Take a seat and help me to mitigate the burden…
          We took several steps back with this winner.
          Let’s not talk on the lack of creativity…

• Schoolbea December 23, 2017 at 3:50 pm #

• Eni December 23, 2017 at 4:41 pm #

I feel ya…

Celine was PERFECT!

19. Guest December 23, 2017 at 11:36 am #

Nice list, pretty happy with the results!

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

I forgot to tell you your name was relocated to the “under consideration” list, from the “honorary members” list at the SuperGoodTaste Fashion Universal Club for Cool Kids.

20. Chris December 23, 2017 at 11:36 am #

Nice list, pretty happy with the results!

• Leandra December 23, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

21. Guest December 23, 2017 at 10:38 am #

Except for Elle Fanning, who looked adorable, I don’t like any of these looks.
    Aishwarya Rai Bachchan… one big fairy tale gown and everybody is sold… bah! Gorgeous woman but that dress is almost ridiculous.

22. Noemi December 23, 2017 at 10:38 am #

Except for Elle Fanning, who looked adorable, I don’t like any of these looks.

23. Guest December 23, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Only Celine Dion, Emma Stone and Elle Fanning made my list, but this is usually how it happens – different people, different tastes.

24. Alina December 23, 2017 at 10:37 am #

25. Guest December 23, 2017 at 10:18 am #

Some of them were behind MEH! I was not impressed this year. Celine Dion deserves the spot though, the rest aren’t my cup of tea.

26. james December 23, 2017 at 10:18 am #

27. Guest December 23, 2017 at 9:20 am #

I disagree with about all of these tbh.

If any Cara look should be on here its her MET Gala look and if I can see your underwear (Jennifer Lawrence) then I don’t think that dress/outfit should be on the best dressed look of the year

Also I would like to thank Catherine for having such wonderful coverage of fashion this year

28. Lashae December 23, 2017 at 9:20 am #

I disagree with about all of these tbh.

29. Guest December 23, 2017 at 9:03 am #

Well deserved 1 Aishwarya Rai….brought the whole cinderella moment all over again…

30. Aby December 23, 2017 at 9:03 am #

31. Guest December 23, 2017 at 7:32 am #

Not my list, that’s for sure.
    1, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10 gets a big meh from me and shouldn’t be anywhere near this.

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 8:23 am #

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 9:14 am #

32. vicky December 23, 2017 at 7:32 am #

Not my list, that’s for sure.

• Kat December 23, 2017 at 8:23 am #

• Lashae December 23, 2017 at 9:14 am #

33. Guest December 23, 2017 at 7:11 am #

Wow, what an underwhelming Top 10…i usually agree more with FCs top 10 so I’m looking forward to seeing that! 🙂

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 11:22 am #

34. Bec December 23, 2017 at 7:11 am #

• Iva December 23, 2017 at 11:22 am #

35. Guest December 23, 2017 at 6:32 am #

Where is Rihannas met look?! ICONIC

• Guest January 4, 2018 at 11:46 am #

This

36. Taylor December 23, 2017 at 6:32 am #

Where is Rihannas met look?! ICONIC

• jd January 4, 2018 at 11:46 am #

This

37. Guest December 23, 2017 at 6:00 am #

Wow, how different all our opinions can be! ? I had Emma Stone, Zendaya, Celine Dion and Lily Aldridge on my list. Now that she‘s in the top 10 I can see why JLaw was voted in. I didn‘t get the charm of her dress the first time around. However, I‘m still not impressed with Aishwaryas baby blue ball gown. Still think the look is overrated especially because of her bland hair.

38. CaroChanel December 23, 2017 at 6:00 am #

39. Guest December 23, 2017 at 5:39 am #

I love these end of year wrap-ups. It’s fascinating to see what others like & dislike. Personally, I only loved 2 of these looks (#3 & #8). I can’t wait to see what Catherine’s favourites were.

Love to you all over the holiday season. Thanks for being a great community – you feel like my internet home <3

40. Kat December 23, 2017 at 5:39 am #

41. Guest December 23, 2017 at 4:57 am #

Interesting list. 1, 4, and 10 were on my list; 3 was a close contender. I understand Celine and Nicole making the list but am very surprised to see how popular (again) Jessica’s bronze gown is, and didn’t realize that JLaw’s dress had made such an impact. Would have expected Cara’s Met look and Elle’s Dior gown to make the look over the two here.
    But overall there’s some variance here and I’m thrilled that Zendaya snuck on at the last minute!

42. EmmaWoodhouse December 23, 2017 at 4:57 am #

43. Guest December 23, 2017 at 4:10 am #

Such fun to read these year-end roundups! Thank you Catherine and crew for all of your work.

44. quimby December 23, 2017 at 4:10 am #

45. Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:35 am #

I forgot to thank FC for another wonderful year of coverage! It’s been great having you back 🙂

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:48 am #

Indeed!!!
      Thank you Catherine Kallon for coming back. You were so badly missed!!!!!!!! You have no idea…
      Thanks for the awesome coverage and fun, all of you amazing FC’s!

• Guest December 23, 2017 at 11:08 am #

+ 1000

Thanks Catherine and team for amazing coverage this year. I’m so glad you’re back!!!

46. VG December 23, 2017 at 3:35 am #

• Pheephee December 23, 2017 at 3:48 am #

Indeed!!!
      Thanks for the awesome coverage and fun, all of you amazing FC’s!

• Susie December 23, 2017 at 11:08 am #

+ 1000

47. Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:34 am #

I wouldn’t put #6,7,8 on mine, (and change the order in some way) but a good-looking list overall – Celine, Aishwarya, Zendaya, Lily, Nicole…def. on my list. I didn’t mention Emma’s Oscars look initially, but I’d include both her and Elisabeth Banks from the after-party.

48. Nat39 December 23, 2017 at 3:34 am #

49. Guest December 23, 2017 at 3:34 am #

Elle Fanning, Cara and Jessica Chastain do not belong on this list. Those looks are boring bordering on bad (Jessica’s dress was so poorly made and the fit was terrible up close).
    Overall, this year was underwhelming from a fashion perspective and this list is proof of that. Most of these looks will struggle to crack the top 10 in most years.
    The top 4 is fine though. I would, however, swap Celine with Aishwarya.

50. VG December 23, 2017 at 3:34 am #

The top 4 is fine though. I would, however, swap Celine with Aishwarya.