Menu

December 21, 2017

Meghan Markle In Ralph & Russo Couture – Official Engagement Portraits

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle released three official engagement portraits today via the official Kensington Palace twitter account.

Alexi Lubomirski, who conducted the shoot earlier this week at Frogmore House, Windsor, Kensington Palace, did an amazing job of capturing the couple.

He said “A huge thank you to His Royal Highness Prince Harry and Ms Markle, for allowing me to take their official engagement portraits. Not only was it an incredible honour, but also an immense privilege to be invited to share and be a witness to this young couple’s love for each other. I cannot help but smile when I look at the photos that we took.”

The soon-to-be Duchess of Sussex was beaming wearing a Ralph & Russo Fall 2016 Couture gown which I’m sure some might be surprised considering the sheerness of the top, but I’m for this modern spin on fairytale moment.

While I know no one will ever compare to the late Lady Diana, Princess of Wales, I’m really hoping Meghan will bring a hint of Hollywood glamour to the palace.

Credit: Vogue.com & Alexi Lubomirski

Jennifer Hudson In Gucci - The Voice

Jennifer Hudson In Gucci – The Voice

Vote Now For Your Best Dressed Of The Year 2017

Vote Now For Your Best Dressed Of The Year 2017

72 Responses to Meghan Markle In Ralph & Russo Couture – Official Engagement Portraits

1. Paula December 22, 2017 at 7:58 pm #

The dress is lovely and she looks beautiful. So from a fashion point of view, although they look like they are dressed for different events, it works. However from a PR point of view, and for the Royals, EVERYTHING is PR, it seems like a mistake.

2. james December 22, 2017 at 12:41 pm #

As long as she doesn’t bore us like Catherine does, I am all for it! She remains classy so what’s the issue here? British royals need to spice things up and get with our time and that is why Meghan is a breath of fresh air in their boring old fashioned “style”.

3. Miss H December 22, 2017 at 10:40 am #

Above everything I love how happy they look.

4. Schoolbea December 22, 2017 at 10:17 am #

My only quibble would be that it is an evening gown to me and it looks kind of weird for a daytime photoshoot. I see the point on some of the criticism here, but honestly, in the end there is a voice in my head whispering: who am I to judge? As somebody else pointed out, is there a rule book on royal dressing? Or are those “rules” rewritten and altered as time goes by?
    Sometimes these changes are imperceptible, sometimes the rule is flaunted and despite the initial shock, a new “normal” is established, eventually. Let’s adapt with an open mind.

5. Giada December 22, 2017 at 10:12 am #

Do I like the dress? It’s not my favourite but her style and glamour is going to be a breath of fresh air. I’m excited to see what’s she going to wear in the coming years.

Do I also think this dress isn’t the best judgment call in terms of PR? Unfortunately yes.

It doesn’t matter if her image is based on truth and fairness or not. It’s the image you have to deal with. Period. So going on comments made about her image, this was a poor choice.

6. shawneh December 22, 2017 at 8:48 am #

What a strange concept of an institution it must be where it ‘needs’ a new member who makes bold sartorial choices and the whole world waits to scrutinize it. The ‘royal family’ is so outdated folks.

7. Alina December 22, 2017 at 6:54 am #

I’m not that familiar with royal etiquette, but we’re living in the 21st century, shouldn’t we adapt? Meghan looks gorgeous here and there is nothing vulgar about the dress. I’m a fan!

8. Amanda F December 22, 2017 at 5:34 am #

Listen, she is exactly what the royal family needs. I cannot wait – to see what she brings. I love that he loves her!

9. Mimi December 22, 2017 at 3:37 am #

She looks lovely, I think I’m really going to enjoy her sense of style if she keeps this up. These are really beautiful photos.

Not my favorite R&R gown though, and I do agree the formality of the dress doesn’t match what he’s wearing nor the background setting either, but that’s nitpicking.

• Mimi December 22, 2017 at 3:03 pm #

Also, I don’t get what all the PR fuss is about. Are we supposed to pretend these people aren’t wealthy?

10. lmkw December 22, 2017 at 12:37 am #

She looks lovely and they are just an adorable couple. I hope she keeps her “American” style and ignores the Royal rules. Just say no to frumpiness!

11. Fee December 21, 2017 at 9:19 pm #

I don’t understand what everyone is up in arms over. The dress looks lined in the bust area and she looks absolutely beautiful.

• SilentVisitor December 22, 2017 at 1:01 am #

Some people always need something to be outraged about…..

12. brat December 21, 2017 at 8:07 pm #

His level of formality does not match hers. A ostentatious couture evening gown for a daytime royal photo shoot? Perhaps not the best way to introduce yourself to the British public. She’s catching hell for this and it’s not just the DM’s comment section. I thought she was a little more circumspect than this. I personally feel like she’s not doing her betrothed any favors right now. I do like the intimacy of the photos, less stuffy and more modern.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 8:16 pm #

I actually think it was intentional. The BRF will do anything to survive and stay relevant or at least have people talking good or bad.

• J December 21, 2017 at 8:34 pm #

I like her and her style, but the $50,000 dress is OTT.

• Maria F. December 21, 2017 at 10:18 pm #

I agree. I think it was a pr misstep to pick such an expensive gown for this shoot.

• brat December 21, 2017 at 10:44 pm #

It was indeed. He should have matched her extravagance so at least they could shoulder the heat she’s catching together. It’s terrible optics for someone who’s been touted as low-key, non-Hollywood and a serious humanitarian. She’s barely worth 5 mil and never dressed like this before him. Looks try-hard and over-eager now that’s she’s got access to his considerable wealth.
          The Royal family is not Hollywood, and their image is a carefully curated one. For someone who’s been discreet until now I’m surprised at her. It comes off as very nouveau riche and isn’t the best way to make an impression with the classist British.

I actually have no issue with the dress itself, it really reveals nothing. As the Duchess of Sussex she will have many formal events where a gown like this would be appropriate. She could learn a thing or two from Kate, who came from a far wealthier background, but who’s been circumspect to a fault.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 11:12 pm #

Has there ever been an incident where what a male royal wears becomes front news? It’s always the women and it’s all curated by the ‘institution’. I bet my republican neck on that!

• SilentVisitor December 22, 2017 at 1:01 am #

right you are; so right you are…….

• SilentVisitor December 22, 2017 at 1:00 am #

Meghan is her own person, hope she does not copy Katherine’s dress sense especially if it is to prevent people from getting their little feelings hurt…….

A great post about fashion has now turned into a judgment about how royal the dress is coupled with some ‘classist British’ whatever that means

• brat December 22, 2017 at 1:23 am #

if you don’t know what classist British means you’ll be over your head in this convo lol.

• SilentVisitor December 22, 2017 at 2:18 am #

Oh infinity…………..

• LeeAnn December 22, 2017 at 9:12 am #

Wow let’s be nasty . The Daily Mail comment section is on another website maybe you should write your “wit “ there

13. Caroline December 21, 2017 at 8:06 pm #

Love this couple! They are to die for. However, I do not like her choice of dress at all and that’s that.

14. EmmaWoodhouse December 21, 2017 at 7:59 pm #

Lovely pictures, so happy for them and for Meghan’s future style. She has great hair too, just like her future sister-in-law!
    It think the dress is super elegant.

• LeeAnn December 22, 2017 at 9:14 am #

Emma – everyone has great hair when you have a blow dry 24/7!!! Agree about the dress and who cares about the cost, the fact that it’s dressy – let’s just be happy for once . We get enough LKBennett from Kate.

15. Catherine December 21, 2017 at 6:47 pm #

Sigh. It’s a romantic dream.

16. J December 21, 2017 at 6:00 pm #

Is the top part see-through?

They look adorable together and very in love.

17. CreoleLady December 21, 2017 at 5:28 pm #

Beautifully composed and very romantic. I see no hint of anything untoward so this is sheer very well deployed. My only quibble — the differing levels of formality, a couture sheer/sequinned/feathered ball gown on her and suede casual shoes/standard suit on him.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm #

That’s the norm though. There is no couture for men.

Like for a fact there are no couture menswear houses.

• CreoleLady December 21, 2017 at 5:37 pm #

To Harry’s credit though, the suit is impeccably tailored. Plus, the blue he chose is not exactly a basic navy. On second consideration, that color blue is in fact inspired and very handsome on him with that ginger hair and coloring.

• Leandra December 21, 2017 at 5:41 pm #

Charlene, there is couture for men as well. JPGaultier, Versace, Dolce Gabanna Alta Moda and even Chanel.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:49 pm #

No there isn’t. D&G Alta Moda isn’t officially couture and Versace Atelier and Chanel do not even produce menswear (Karl’s ‘favourites’ walking the show doesn’t count).

The status quo will remain the same with Meghan joining the royal family or not. I mean specifically the gender roles. The female will remain the clothes horse. I think she – not questioning their relationship – is conveniently the royal family’s ticket to relevance across the pond and to a more diverse audience.

• Leandra December 21, 2017 at 6:04 pm #

Sorry, at every Chanel shop I entered there is a niche for menswear. Very small, but still. A Chanel Couture jacket for men costs 55.000€, without embellishments. You choose the textile and the finishings. They took your measurements and voilà, it is a couture piece. I saw most than 1, so definitely they exist.
            And JPG has a long list of male clients, for Couture.
            Obviously I can only refer to my personal experience.

• Leandra December 21, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

*more than one

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 6:23 pm #

There is no men’s couture as defined by the ‘Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris’. Some designers may call their menswear collections couture but apparently it’s legally not. Chanel may sell menswear but there is no official menswear as in collections/fashion shows (except as said before Karl’s favourites walking in his uniform at the womens’ shows).

• Paolo December 21, 2017 at 10:23 pm #

Come on, even if not recognized by the Chambre brands like Atelier Versace and Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda are DE FACTO couture.

• Lee Ann December 22, 2017 at 3:12 pm #

They do something called Demi Couture which frankly is like having a bespoke Saville row suit made. Dior, Chanel and Dolce do it but I’m sure that suit is from Anderson’s & Shepard and probably cost around £15,000

• LeeAnn December 22, 2017 at 9:16 am #

That is because they have tailors who make bespoke suits on Savile Row .

18. allezfred December 21, 2017 at 5:19 pm #

What is the point of male royals?

19. Leandra December 21, 2017 at 5:13 pm #

They look lovely. I only wish she had chosen a true British designer, not a couple of Aussies.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:15 pm #

What designer is Harry’s suit by?

• Leandra December 21, 2017 at 5:22 pm #

I don’t have a clue. I was referring to her choice, only.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

lol nobody gives a shit about his choice and he’s actually the royal one 😀

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

lol nobody gives a damn about his choice and he’s actually the royal one 😀

• Bindi Sands February 28, 2018 at 1:03 pm #

A couple of Aussies have done in London what no one else has ever done. They are registered as a British Haute Couture Fashion House / Luxury Goods Company… If not for the ‘couple of Aussies’ Britain wouldn’t have the first British brand to be elected in almost 100 years by the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture to show its collection on the official schedule at Paris Haute Couture Week. Way to go ! What a fantastic couple of Aussies showing the English how to do fashion !!!! Meghan Markle knows they were the best choice… the ONLY Haute Couture made in Britian ….yes, by a couple of AUSSIES

20. charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:11 pm #

Couldn’t he have worn something special too? So boring!

• Leandra December 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm #

Proof that not all boredom is created equal: some of it is brief and circumstantial ( imagine Hugh Jackman in a bad day) and some of it is highly designed and teeters on existential crisis, members of the Royal Family for instance.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:55 pm #

It’s not brief and circumstantial actually I’ve been jaded/disenchanted by ‘royalty’. Their whole existence reinforces the status quo – class system/religion/gender roles. The only thing they’re useful for today would be visual aesthetics but the male royals can’t even do that. They’re redundant.

• Leandra December 21, 2017 at 6:09 pm #

I agree with you. In fact I referred to Royal Family members as NO circumstantial.

• Effieee December 22, 2017 at 11:07 pm #

A suit is appropriate men’s formalwear though. What did you expect him to wear?

21. meme December 21, 2017 at 4:18 pm #

I think she looks lovely and they look so sweet together. I read a lot of Brits are upset with her choice of dress but it’s not sheer as in you can see her breasts. Who needs another stuffy Royal couple?

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

You are forgetting one half of the couple who is still in his stuffy suit. If Harry was wearing a sheer top then we’d be talking!

PS The Brits or actually just Daily Mail readers have always been ‘upset’ with their female royals’ sartorial choices.

• meme December 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm #

Awww, Harry’s cute. His suit might be stuffy but he isn’t! (Remember we’ve seen him naked LOL)

• brat December 21, 2017 at 11:47 pm #

the British as a rule do not like splashy displays of wealth, especially from their Royals who are ornamental but suck up quite a bit in taxpayer money. Pippa is married to a billionaire and has never been so extravagant. Old money operates differently. I thought Meghan understood that but now I wonder.

• SilentVisitor December 22, 2017 at 12:53 am #

I am sure she is going to lose sleep over you wondering about that…….my goodness now it is a matter of old money and new money…….. non sense really.
        Such a simple and beautiful dress creates so much faux outrage…….incredible, just incredible!!

• LeeAnn December 22, 2017 at 9:21 am #

Pippa’s money is about a day old . Mist Brits have zero to no fashion taste- if one would compare a drinks party in France , Italy , or NYC with that of London – you would shudder at how poorly the Brits dress- I have attended many – with the French and Italian men eye rolling about what these woman wear . Sleek dressing is a very new concept here.

22. Jules December 21, 2017 at 4:08 pm #

Can’t believe how sheer the top is! Wish she kept it a little more classic and traditional. Now I’m so curious about what her wedding dress will look like?!

23. Lee Ann December 21, 2017 at 4:07 pm #

Finally some style comes to Kensington. I’m not really sure what a Royal gown is but I thought she looked stunning and chic.

• Catherine Kallon December 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm #

Totally agree. This is what I have been waiting for, for such a long time

• SilentVisitor December 21, 2017 at 6:57 pm #

+1,000,000
      Tell me about it!!! What exactly is a royal gown?

She looks great!!! Harry’s suit is super boring but the color is nice

• elentarigirl December 21, 2017 at 7:11 pm #

For being Diana’s sons, the princes are both devoid of any style whatsoever.

24. AnnaP December 21, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

I want to know what is “royal enough”? People seem to be instilling their own version of “the rules” when there are none. On one of the blogs, they reminded us of the photo of Princess Margaret in a bath wearing only a tiara!

I love the lack of stuffiness of these two – beautiful couple and she is a style icon already!

• Catherine Kallon December 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm #

Agreed. I would like to see this royal rule book to.

I’m delighted she is paving her own way.

• charleneg December 21, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

Harry is wearing the most basic suit. He is as stuffy as all other male royals imo.

25. Lea December 21, 2017 at 3:54 pm #

I like the gown but this is too much Hollywoord and not royal enough for me. They look so in love though !

Also , did she buy it or was it a loan ? Because I guess it must be really expensive and I thought I had read that the BRF can’t accept loans ?

• Lea December 21, 2017 at 4:14 pm #

To clarify, I’m saying the vibe of the photos are too Hollywood , not the dress. To me , it looks more like a photoshoot for a fashion magazine than royal engagement photos but obviously you don’t have to agree.
      Dress is fine, although I don’t see her repeating it after the wedding, hence my question about a loan.

• Catherine Kallon December 21, 2017 at 4:21 pm #

I agree. It more like a fashion photoshoot, I guess that is why they choose Alexi Lubomirski as that is his M.O.

I think they are deliberately trying to go against the grain.

Yes, royals can’t accept gifts, but this was a photoshoot so the dress would’ve been a loan like all other photoshoots x

• Lea December 21, 2017 at 4:26 pm #

Thanks for your answer Catherine !
          I respect that they want to do something different but I think it will take me a while to get used to this as it is not what I expected or what I really like in royalty.
          At least, it’ll be exciting to watch her evolve as a royal now and I wish them all the best.

• Catherine Kallon December 21, 2017 at 7:21 pm #

Yes. I’m very excited to see how she evolves.

• Dhppy December 30, 2017 at 2:08 am #