Menu

Sonam Kapoor was sticking with Elie Saab for her second red carpet appearance for ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival premiere this evening (May 22).

When I see her in this gold tulle embroidered Spring 2017 Couture gown I ask myself, “where is the fashion trailblazer who used take this festival by the scruff of the neck and shake things up?”

Her gown is absolutely stunning, don’t get me wrong.

It’s my favourite of the Elie Saab gowns so far, and one of the best from today; but I was expecting way, way more from Sonam so overall I feel a bit disappointed.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

2017 Billboard Music Awards Red Carpet Roundup

2017 Billboard Music Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Juliette Binoche In Balmain - 'The Killing Of A Sacred Deer' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Juliette Binoche In Balmain – ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

37 Responses to Sonam Kapoor In Elie Saab Couture – ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. kane May 23, 2017 at 8:57 pm #

I love the gown and prefer it to the runway, but the look is missing something, it feels full-on, but it doesn’t sparkle.

2. H May 23, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

I understand we are used to see her shine brighter than this and I am missing some of the Indian dresses she used to wear, but she still looks amazing.

3. viral May 23, 2017 at 8:55 am #

why the hell does she look so tired! terrible making, uninspired gown and an an overall underwhelming showing this year. if it wasnt for Aish and arya this years cannes is DOA

4. Meds May 23, 2017 at 8:34 am #

Dress is nice but her face is looking very dull, lack lustre not suiting the brand endorsement.

I don’t see the need to putting the décolletage to work everytime when you have nothing new to offer. Boobs were squeezed to crazy level in blush pink gown yesterday to create false big boob impression, similarly extreme push up setting isn’t working here.Belt is doing no favour.
    Aishwarya’s golden Roberto Cavalli mermaid number was far more stylish and classy than this mess.

Her this year at Cannes has been very disappointing.
    Is her buzz fading now??!

5. glory May 23, 2017 at 6:18 am #

Golden Goddess of cannes LOVE IT!!!

6. ToddleTale May 23, 2017 at 2:13 am #

Would kill to see her wear Saiid Kobeisy and Georges Chakra on Cannes.

7. Tenacious May 23, 2017 at 1:51 am #

Beautiful dress but she could do better. This is practically the same as her pink gown.

• amy May 23, 2017 at 11:41 am #

+1. it seems like a slightly different version of the same dress

8. Crystalline May 23, 2017 at 1:36 am #

Very underwhelming, aside of that beautiful face. We need something extra and unordinary from Sonam. But I don’t want to put my expectation very high considering she said she didn’t prepare for Cannes. At least try another designer, Sonam. Ashi Studio would’ve been a good choice for skme RC drama.

9. Kaya May 23, 2017 at 1:36 am #

I was desperately hoping for some Ashi Studio, Rami Kadi, Stephane Rolland, Alexis Mabille or Hamda Al Fahim from her. Hell, even Georges Hobeika would’ve been much better. Would’ve loved to see her take the risks she always does. Her off red-carpet looks were much better this year. After killing it last year in Rimzim Dadu and Ralph&Russo, I guess I was expecting a lot. Well, she did say she hadn’t prepped much and that definitely shows.

Elie Saab had quite a few interesting and different looks this year, don’t know why she opted to choose looks from 2015/16.

10. Kayla May 23, 2017 at 1:04 am #

I feel like her photo shoot and promotional outfits were much more impressive. She said that she didn’t prep much for this year and it definitely shows. She killed it last year, so I was hoping for some amazing looks. Something by Ashi studio, Rami Kadi, Stephane Rollande, Alexis Mabille or Hamda Al Fahim.
    Btw I don’t think this is a 2017 look, Elie had a few impressive prices for 2017 which would have been awesome for photocalls

11. Freya May 23, 2017 at 12:50 am #

Yeah she’s always beautiful (how can you not be with that face?). But didn’t care for her “red carpet theme” at all this year. Much preferrred her Anamika Khannas and even her Ralph & Russo exclusives. Her day looks were much better and actually interesing.

12. Bec D May 23, 2017 at 12:37 am #

Elie Saab has officially lost it’s WOW factor – it’s the same stuff every season (and I say that as a big Elie fan!!).

Personally, I think that Ralph and Russo have passed Elie as the go-to designers for jaw-dropping red carpet gowns.

13. Nadia99 May 22, 2017 at 11:28 pm #

I liked the pink gown better. She looked more effortless in it.

14. Natalia May 22, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

FC, this gown did not come from the Spring 2017 couture collection, this piece is his Fall 2015 couture collection.

15. Manon May 22, 2017 at 10:04 pm #

Stunning but this look has been seen and done 10 times over, by her and others. So rather disappointing.

16. Leandra May 22, 2017 at 9:55 pm #

I can appreciate the craftmanship which is mind blowing other than that is a really “had seen it 100 times ” look. I know he has a huge market for this kind of confection but I just can’t find any interest on it.

17. Shanaya May 22, 2017 at 9:32 pm #

It’s almost identical to yesterday’s gown! She looks great but Expected more maybe too much. It’s a lovely gown but because of seeing her in almost the same one yesterday it loses it’s appeal.

18. Venus May 22, 2017 at 9:22 pm #

Sonam’s fashion sense is way too overrated IMHO. Also her makeup is always always off. This look required some color to balance all the gold which literally blends into her skin.

I am curious though, eventhough she represents Loreal, she uses her own makeup artist for Cannes. Also Loreal has not been putting up any of her pictures on their official twitter handles , does that mean they are not associated with her this year ?

• Deanne May 23, 2017 at 1:54 am #

Check out @LorealParisIn

19. Pheephee May 22, 2017 at 9:17 pm #

O my it feels like a repeat in different color. Of course its beautiful but its very same ole, esp from someone like her who usually has some unique fascinating looks. dang nug it.
    Very disappointing.

20. Angela Melanie Rego May 22, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

On the red carpet, the gown doesn’t have the same impact as on the runway. Disappointed that she didn’t bring anything different

21. olala May 22, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

I still gasped at the glamour on first look. 🙂

22. Meena May 22, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

A little disappointed with her main looks cause she had always been so fashion forward and delivered. Gotta say tho I have really liked her photocall looks.

23. Christine May 22, 2017 at 8:51 pm #

Very underwhelming

24. Ahot May 22, 2017 at 8:47 pm #

I agree with you, seems like Sonam chose to stay classic vintage this year. & we are not having it lol. The craftanship is ah-mazing, Sonam never looked more beautiful or sexier, just majestic. I saw pictures of men being mesmerized by her in this gown. Yet…

It says something when the best Elie Saab by far still leaves us wanting for more, because Sonam spoiled us over the years!

Dear Sonam Kapoor, the Greats don´t get to have days off & just chill. We don´t expect classic beautiful looks from you, we expect beyond beautiful magnificent looks e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e t-i-m-e. 😉

25. Caroline May 22, 2017 at 8:40 pm #

I’m speechless. I know Aishwarya is yall’s queen of Cannes but Sonam is mine. This is EVERYTHING. She is a goddess.

26. Ale May 22, 2017 at 8:32 pm #

It’s her yesterdays dress with some differences.
    Cannes is having a few disappointing moments this year, where is Blake Lively when you need her?

27. Em May 22, 2017 at 8:30 pm #

Agreed. She’s sticking to a comfort zone with the designer, cut and glitter and it’s disappointing. Also, the make-up and hair together manage to age her.

28. Rahul May 22, 2017 at 8:29 pm #

Oh no. Yes, the gown is stunning but it looks ill-fitted around the bust. Moreover, it’s way too similar to her yesterday’s look! You’re right, FC, where’s the fashion trailblazer? Last year she rocked, however, this year, she’s been below par.

29. JessNess May 22, 2017 at 8:28 pm #

Yeah. You can tell she phoned it in this year.

Pretty but forgettable, both looks

30. from-chitown May 22, 2017 at 8:28 pm #

Nope – don’t like it. I feel its better than yesterday’s look, but there is nothing novel or exciting about it. The fit at the bust is again off and the hair is again a no-no. She has a pattern at Cannes this year – tired Elie Saab gowns, too tight fit at the bust and bad hair. Quite disappointing!

31. Nat39 May 22, 2017 at 8:27 pm #

This is, indeed, disappointing. This is once again beautiful but a stale Elie Saab look. I’m missing more experimental and inspiring Sonam.

32. Ramsay May 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm #

The make up is not working
    I like the lining – but it now looks “too” lined if this makes sense
    Half way between the runway and the red carpet would have been the way to gonI think

33. M May 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm #

In an interview, she said she did not prep much for cannes due to busy with her own fashion label. But still, for someone who put couture to carpet last time, we expect more. Maybe Araya is the new or this year Queen

34. Chris May 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm #

She looks incredibly beautiful, but I agree. Another embellished Elie Saab after already having worn one yesterday just is pretty boring. And I already felt a little disappointed by yesterday’s Elie Saab because I expect more from her. Another gown like that today doesn’t exactly make things more exiting. At least her Saabs are better than the ones everyone else has been wearing at this festival so far, but still… meh.

And people were complaining about Aishwarya wearing a similar silhouette on both days. At least she was wearing completely different designers and completely different colors on both days.

35. Alina May 22, 2017 at 8:23 pm #

Beautiful, but underwhelming and a bit disappointing indeed.