Menu

Posted by Rachel Watkins

Jessica Chastain electrified the Cannes Film Festival red carpet at the screening of ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ on Sunday (May 21).

She wore a coatdress from the Christian Dior Spring 2017 Couture collection, except it was rendered in a shockingly vibrant green hue that, of course, was a captivating complement to her red locks.

I’m quite glad she opted to wear the look in such a vivid shade, as otherwise I fear the black rendition of the elegantly simple dress would have been far too forgettable for the likes of Cannes.

Giuseppe Zanotti metallic heels and a sparkling ring completed the ensemble.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Elle Fanning In Gucci - ‘How To Talk To Girls At Parties’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Elle Fanning In Gucci – ‘How To Talk To Girls At Parties’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Araya A. Hargate In Alexis Mabille Couture - ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Araya A. Hargate In Alexis Mabille Couture – ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

65 Responses to Jessica Chastain In Christian Dior Couture – ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Don’t get me wrong, Jessica is one of favorites but this look is big NO.
    She can do so much, I mean so much better than this!! I’m crying 🙁

2. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

+1 Agreed 100% Alina. The color is divine on her. A column gown with a necklace would’ve done it. She’s dressed like a 70 year old lady.

3. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

4. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

yes, but a couture coat should fit perfectly, not like this one, IMO.

5. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I find this look very refreshing.
    I always love it when Jessica wears green.

6. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

The first look you linked has already been worn by Janelle Monae, although sans pants.

7. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Considering it is a couture piece the fitting is really bad. Well, things made by Maria Gracia normally do not excite me , so this is no exception. I think this is boring, not even the rich hue can save it .
    It is a NO for me.
    I was expecting a luxurius outfit from the Chanel Paris Cosmopolite , the pre fall 2017 collection.
    http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2017/chanel/slideshow/collection#3 or

8. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

The colour is beautiful on her, the fit amazing, and I guess it’s juror-appropriate. Still, I can’t help but feel a bit underwhelmed.

9. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Omg. This is so boring and ugly and heavy. Unbelievable coming from her.
    Lots of past jurors brought their fashion A-game and it was totally acceptable every other year. There is no excuse for her or Fan. This is just silly.

10. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

The fit is awful. It makes her look very large around the waist.

11. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

The fit is awful. It makes her look very large around the waist.

12. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I love, love, love the colour on her but the coat dress itself looks like something that the Duchess of Cambridge would wear.

13. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Where is the pot of gold Mrs. Leprechaun?

14. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

And there is nothing wrong with that ! Happens to me all the time usually when I am looking at Dior . This is a fashion website that invites comments . Comments whether angry or happy should be made on fashion but not at the writer.

15. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

You’re right, lol. Thanks.

16. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

No. Noway. Sorry, but I think there is no excuse. Being a juror may excuse Fan’s first Ralph and Russo, but not this. Just for the fit alone it should never appear at Cannes.

Also, she might be excused if this had been her general attitude to the red carpet throughout the festival, but can I remind you that this is the same person who wore an impressive Givenchy just the other day? And what about her Alexander McQueen? Whether they were liked or not, there’s no denying there was something in those looks she is not even attempting here. That inconsistency is what is driving me nuts here.

It looks like wearing something green will save her look everytime. Well, no. Say what you will about the Duchess’s coat dresses, at least they are fit to perfection and are event appropriate. This is neither.

17. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I’ll agree with that. Keeps me from loving this.

18. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I’ll agree with that. Keeps me from loving this.

19. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I love the idea and the color
    But something is off in the fit around the mid section

20. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

they are really laying low this year,aren’t they?
    Fan has been MIA since the opening ceremony,apparently the jury had to watch all the films everyday,and have group meetings to discuss.
    I heard they will be attending the 70th Anniversary gala on the 23rd,I had my hope for that.

21. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

they are really laying low this year,aren’t they?

22. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

So far I’m quite enjoying all the looks from Jessica. She’s dressed appropriately as a juror. To be honest Cannes needs the star-jurors like her and Fan Bingbing to show up more on the red carpets. They are the eye candies. People have the high expectations from them. Apparently Bingbing’s not willing to do that.

23. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

It’s an incredibly chic look and the color, of course, makes the look. I really love that color on her. And the color looked even a little bit more striking on some other pictures I saw, the lightning in this one isn’t the best.

24. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Redhead and green is always a great combo.

25. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I’m also glad she chose green instead of black but It doesn’t look good on her, needs better fitting around the waist, red lip stick and glamours hair do!

26. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

I like the color. Maybe she should have dressed this for the photocall or other event.

27. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

In my opinion, the only logical reaction to this is: WTF, Jessica?!

This is tragic considering her star power and what she’s capable of delievering fashion-wise.

I understand that she is in the jury this year and does not want to take the spotlight, but… Come on! There are better ways to achieve that: wear a column dress in a strong colour and a nice necklace, wear a simple flowy gown, wear a sparkly jumpsuit, etc.

This is just lazy. From the fit of the ensemble to the hair and makeup situation.

I’m deeply disappointed.

28. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

What’s wrong with being passionate ?

29. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

there~there~Chill-out.
    You got so emotional and involved,sister.

30. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Well, yeah, I got carried away, but I hope there’s nothing wrong with that?
    You know when sometimes you simply dislike a look and other times it makes you kind of angry? That happened to me here.

31. Guest June 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

Totally disagree. I think her attitude towards the red carpet dressing is quite modern. The coatdress choice is decent at her best. We need the versatile style besides the gown, especially when she’s aware of that her jury identity.

32. yumey May 22, 2017 at 7:26 am #

Don’t get me wrong, Jessica is one of favorites but this look is big NO.
    She can do so much, I mean so much better than this!! I’m crying 🙁

33. Christine May 22, 2017 at 5:19 am #

This is OK, but she can do way better than this. This is CANNES for goodness sake!

34. charlotte May 22, 2017 at 1:46 am #

the fit on the waistline is unfortunate,I would love this dress so much more if she added a golden belt or something.The color is actually quite divine.
    I wish to see Jessica and Fan both bringing their A game to the Cannes 70th anniverary gala on the 23rd.

35. Ari May 22, 2017 at 12:28 am #

This whole look is just so so bad! The color, fit, styling and it makes her skin look drab.

36. Schoolbea May 21, 2017 at 11:46 pm #

• charlotte May 22, 2017 at 1:53 am #

there~there~Chill-out.
      You got so emotional and involved,sister.

• LeeAnn May 22, 2017 at 1:11 pm #

What’s wrong with being passionate ?

• Schoolbea May 22, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

Well, yeah, I got carried away, but I hope there’s nothing wrong with that?

• LeeAnn May 22, 2017 at 5:31 pm #

• Schoolbea May 22, 2017 at 6:54 pm #

You’re right, lol. Thanks.

37. Robert May 21, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

Where is the pot of gold Mrs. Leprechaun?

38. TeaAtTwo May 21, 2017 at 9:14 pm #

39. LeeAnn May 21, 2017 at 9:06 pm #

The fit is awful. It makes her look very large around the waist.

40. Pheephee May 21, 2017 at 8:26 pm #

Omg. This is so boring and ugly and heavy. Unbelievable coming from her.

41. Marie May 21, 2017 at 7:57 pm #

42. Leandra May 21, 2017 at 7:34 pm #

It is a NO for me.

• Chris May 21, 2017 at 10:16 pm #

43. Nadia99 May 21, 2017 at 7:31 pm #

I find this look very refreshing.
    I always love it when Jessica wears green.

44. Alina May 21, 2017 at 7:03 pm #

In my opinion, the only logical reaction to this is: WTF, Jessica?!

I’m deeply disappointed.

• Tiina May 21, 2017 at 7:12 pm #

• Leandra May 21, 2017 at 7:59 pm #

yes, but a couture coat should fit perfectly, not like this one, IMO.

• Caroline May 21, 2017 at 7:58 pm #

45. Ale May 21, 2017 at 6:59 pm #

46. Jerusa May 21, 2017 at 6:53 pm #

47. dedel May 21, 2017 at 6:52 pm #

Redhead and green is always a great combo.

48. Chris May 21, 2017 at 6:50 pm #

49. Tina May 21, 2017 at 6:50 pm #

• charlotte May 22, 2017 at 1:49 am #

they are really laying low this year,aren’t they?

50. Ramsay May 21, 2017 at 6:48 pm #

I love the idea and the color
    But something is off in the fit around the mid section

• kane May 21, 2017 at 8:32 pm #

I’ll agree with that. Keeps me from loving this.