Menu

Lupita Nyong'o In Proenza Schouler  - ‘Star Wars The Force Awakens’ London Premiere

Lupita Nyong’o joined Daisy Ridley for the premiere of ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ at Leicester Square on Wednesday (December 16) in London, England.

Fully awakening the futuristic fashion force within her, she wore a Proenza Schouler Spring 2016 directional ensemble that was nothing short of business on the top and party on the bottom.

While the peplum-inspired, criss-cross top translated rather heavily, the sheer mesh, pearl-studded skirt lightened up the look.

I have a feeling that the galactic blue lip, silver statement earrings, and mesh hair accessory will have taken the whole look slightly into costume-y territory for many of you.

But you have to admire her willingness to push the boundaries—and the fact that she wasn’t wearing solid pumps.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Daisy Ridley In Roland Mouret - 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' London Premiere

Daisy Ridley In Roland Mouret – ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ London Premiere

Selena Gomez In Victoria Beckham - 103.5 KISS FM's Jingle Ball 2015

Selena Gomez In Victoria Beckham – 103.5 KISS FM’s Jingle Ball 2015

42 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Proenza Schouler – ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ London Premiere

1. Quinn December 18, 2015 at 9:39 am #

hot mess

2. Phoenix December 17, 2015 at 11:31 pm #

That outfit so badly does not work for her. She looks completely lost in it. I actually don’t mind the lippy. Its the dress that is not working for her body type. at all.

3. kane December 17, 2015 at 5:16 pm #

I quite like the attitude, but not what she’s wearing.

4. pinksugar December 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

I love her but this is horrendous. Bold makeup attempts are better left for editorials. not the red carpet. The outfit is both ugly and unflattering. I am all for testing the fashion boundaries but not when it makes you look this bad.

5. Glenn December 17, 2015 at 3:05 pm #

I am the only one who love this?
    I think she look great and having Fun’
    Love the lip color and the hair <3

6. luis December 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm #

Grace Jones ! love !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Jones19 December 17, 2015 at 10:41 am #

I like it but it’s a really heavy look.

8. CreoleLady December 17, 2015 at 10:41 am #

ITA. A shame, because I am feeling the out-of-this-world beauty look, the earrings, and the fab shoes. Kudos, though, for stepping outside of the box and having some fun, given the character she plays….

9. Noemi December 17, 2015 at 10:10 am #

I find this look incredibly ugly, this is a WDOTY contender. While it’s interesting on the runway, it’s unflattering on her and the hairstyle, with that piece of mesh, is ridiculous.
    I only like the make-up.

10. liz December 17, 2015 at 9:55 am #

When the most flattering thing about an outfit is the blue lipstick, you know your stylist was angry at you that day.

• Noemi December 17, 2015 at 10:11 am #

Ah you’re right, at least the lipstick flatters her, the rest is awful.

11. The original AB December 17, 2015 at 9:23 am #

Dislike h2t, for me this is not flattering on any level, epic fail.

12. Yeliz December 17, 2015 at 8:59 am #

This is really bad. Fail after fail…

13. Alina December 17, 2015 at 7:17 am #

She is so gorgeous in simple designs (the white CK! ) that it’s hard for me to understand why her stylist feels the need to put her in such complicated and unflattering outfits.

14. Ariya December 17, 2015 at 4:39 am #

I love love love the makeup and styling.
    I understand what they were going for but this comes off too heavy and fussy.
    Had the peplum been taken off this could be marginally better.
    As a short person i feel some high fashion designs are just straight up unflattering for short women.

15. Rox December 17, 2015 at 4:27 am #

It’s just soooo bad. And it’s not even the hair and make up so much as it’s the bulkiness of the top… She looks wide and neckless, not to mention unconfortable.

16. Dee December 17, 2015 at 3:29 am #

The only things I don’t like are the top and the hair accessory. The skirt is nice, tha sandals are great and I like her earrings and makeup.

17. Gemma Rockets December 17, 2015 at 3:21 am #

I LOOOOOVE THIS!
    Lupita giving off a sexy Grace Jones vibe. She looks fierce!

• Dee December 17, 2015 at 3:30 am #

I was thinking Grace Jones too. I don’t think this look is as bad as some have said.

• Amy December 17, 2015 at 9:53 am #

I like the outfit. It isn’t for everybody taste but that’s how you make an impact. Trying to please everyone is why we have and endless sea of bland fishtail and princess gowns at the oscars. I’m all for going all out once in a while.

• justme December 17, 2015 at 12:38 pm #

Exactly. Lupita seldom takes risks so this is a pleasant surprise. I like this.

18. james December 17, 2015 at 3:10 am #

I guess I am the only one who likes it. I think it’s different from everything she has ever worn and she fits right in with the theme. I even love the blue lipstick. I am also glad she switched it up shoes wise. I love it even if it’s an unpopular opinion :-p

• Gemma Rockets December 17, 2015 at 3:22 am #

Nope, I’m with you- I love everything about this.

• Genevieve December 17, 2015 at 12:39 pm #

I agree. I think she looks fabulous.

• Chris December 17, 2015 at 11:02 am #

I think I agree. It’s such an unexpected, bold choice, I kinda like it.

• claire December 17, 2015 at 1:42 pm #

I agree with you as well!! Love this look and the blue lips very “Star wars”

19. Vanie December 17, 2015 at 2:49 am #

This is a hilarious look. A hilariously bad look

20. jhh36 December 17, 2015 at 1:29 am #

This dress is possibly the most unflattering thing that Lupita has ever worn. Frankly, I don’t think it would look good on anyone. The whole look is way too costumey and she looks so uncomfortable. And just when I thought that it could not get any worse, I noticed the headpiece/hat. On the positive side — the sandals are nice and are an improvement over her usual shoe choices.

21. TeuntjeVDW December 17, 2015 at 1:05 am #

It reminds me of her 2014 Met Gala look: too costume-y and a bit too much of everything

22. Aocc December 17, 2015 at 12:52 am #

Awkward, Lupita please don’t lose your glow!

23. AnderBoBo December 17, 2015 at 12:38 am #

I like that she is having fun with this promo but this really is not working, I hate to say but I think she lost her mojo.

24. Zara December 17, 2015 at 12:23 am #

Oh god. What is happening to lupita, she is failing to impress me on this highly anticipated promo tour!! This look is not flattering and she looks super try-hard. Please let the next look be phenomenal.

25. Christine December 17, 2015 at 12:19 am #

Not a fa of this promo tour so far. I only like her lipstick, the rest is dreadful.

• Christine December 17, 2015 at 12:19 am #

*Not a fan

26. Nat39 December 17, 2015 at 12:14 am #

This is tragic. I understand they’re going with the theme but this is completely wrong for Lupita – too much, harsh, fussy, overdone and costumey, and the styling takes it over the top. She neither has the right height/build nor presence for this. One has to rock it with the commanding stature, stance and attitude in order to sell it. She just looks stumpy and uncertain. I don’t like this look in general but on Lupita it doesn’t stand any chance at all. This looks plain bad.

27. Anna December 17, 2015 at 12:10 am #

TOO MUCH. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Daisy totally overshadowed her during this tour.

• H December 17, 2015 at 4:40 pm #

Couldn’t agree more. Lupita has lost what she got during the 12 Years a Slave promo tour and the awards season… This si a total disaster.

28. ok December 17, 2015 at 12:09 am #

Yeah, this is really bad.

I could have gotten into the hair/beauty look if the outfit was exceptional. But oh no, the clothes are horrendous. I can’t imagine something more unflattering and ugly.

• Lashae December 17, 2015 at 2:14 am #

29. Nivi December 17, 2015 at 12:04 am #

Doesn’t have anything to admirer. She trying so hard to push boundaries but she fails. This is wrong head to toe.. she needs an intervention.

This look its like a worst day in Lady Gaga fashion career..

30. Caroline December 17, 2015 at 12:03 am #

OH MY GOD. I barely recognized her! This is SOOOO unflattering on her, what on earth was she thinking???? I get the theme but this is HORRIFIC. That mess of a piece makes her look much wider than she is, it’s all over the place and actually really hideous, even on the tall thin model. The worst she’s ever looked.

• Charlotte December 17, 2015 at 8:26 am #

I agree.
      It’s even worse than her Met gala look.
      It’s been a very long time since I liked a Proenza Schouler’s look!