Menu

September 29, 2014

Amal Alamuddin In Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen & Giambattista Valli Couture - Wedding Weekend

George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin’s wedding took place this weekend in Venice, Italy (where the couple met), with many celebrity guests in attendance plus American Vogue’s editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour, who has missed part of Paris Fashion Week to attend the nuptials.

While we wait for the exclusive images of the wedding in Vogue, here are the pictures of Amal showcasing her chic style upon her arrival, at the rehearsal dinner and at the post-wedding brunch.

Arrival: Her first look on Friday (September 26) was a Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2013 black and white striped ankle-length dress. I love that she wore an Italian brand for her arrival, and the classic colour combo which doesn’t scream for attention despite the fact that all eyes are on her. Bow-front Dolce & Gabbana slingbacks were the perfect complement to her ladylike ensemble along with her gold Dolce & Gabbana earrings. You may remember that Olivia Wilde wore this same dress back in March 2013.

Rehearsal Dinner: For the rehearsal dinner later that same evening she opted for something a lot more dramatic, wearing an Alexander McQueen Resort 2011 red gown with a black brush-stroke print and rise-and-fall hemline. If all eyes weren’t already on her, they certainly would’ve been on this occasion. Styling the look with a fiery red lip, I wish she’d been as bold with the shoe selection. If you’re having a slight case of déjà vu, that’s because Michelle Obama wore the same dress with a full skirt to a state dinner back in 2011.

Post-Wedding Brunch: By the time we next saw Amal on Sunday afternoon (September 28), she was Mrs Clooney. She stepped out for brunch wearing a Giambattista Valli Spring 2014 Couture look which once again had a rise-and-fall hemline, showing off what I’m now discovering is her best asset – her legs. The beautiful ivory lace macramé dress with colourful red embroidery was styled with the same metallic-gold pumps we saw on the runway.

Are you developing a style crush?

My favourite look here is the Dolce & Gabbana. While I love the Giambattista Valli Couture frock, a part of me thinks it may have perhaps been too short for a brunch.

Amal Alamuddin

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Must-Have Monday

Must-Have Monday

Who Wore Christopher Kane Better...Diane Kruger or Lara Stone?

Who Wore Christopher Kane Better…Diane Kruger or Lara Stone?

87 Responses to Amal Alamuddin In Dolce & Gabbana, Alexander McQueen & Giambattista Valli Couture – Wedding Weekend

1. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

I really like the Giambattista Valli dress.
    However, considering the occasion I would choose the D&G look as the best one.

What do you thing about her look at the civil ceremony today?

2. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

The brunch dress is my favorite, the detail is exquisite!

Maybe you could add the 4th look she had, the one from today, when they went to register the marriage and she wore a white and black trim Stella McCartney pants and top?

3. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

Completely agree. The dress is a stunner. She has a fierce sense of style that reminds me of Tilda Swinton, with a dash of extra femininity. I hate the length of the Valli dress on her. Here legs are matchstick thin and a too short front makes them an unflattering center of attention.

4. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

Her legs are little scary thin to me but that aside she is nailing the fashion game! I especially love the Valli dress and white pantsuit & hat she wore.

5. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

I love all three looks! She got style game for sure!

6. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

She looked lovely all the way through, though I am really not a fan of the rise and fall hemline. My favorite is the Dolce & Gabbana because it is so classically chic. I also liked today’s pants outfit for the same reason–the hat is fabulous. I loved the headline quoted above too–puts it in perspective for me though I am a huge fan of George Clooney.

7. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

The Giambattista Valli is way too short, but still, her fashion sense if fantastic! I also loved her Stella McCartney pantsuit that she wore to the civil ceremony.

8. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

She looks lovely in all three actually. Like the first one best, and she wears it better than olivia.

9. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

It’s really too short, but the Valli look is still my fave of the bunch.

10. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

The GV dress may be a bit too short, but wow is it gorgeous!!!

11. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

She looks fantastic in each one. I am a lawyer as well and I play the part with the suits and stuff, but I’d love to see her at the office, that must be incredible!

12. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

Exactly. Give this pretty Valli dress to a younger girl. It doesn’t suit her whatsoever, and personally think the twee skirt that short is dreadful on her – not a flattering choice for her legs in any form or shape.

13. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

Could not agree more. The matchstick thin legs and the short front of the Valli dress create a grotesque effect.

14. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

1. Major hair envy!!!

2. That GV is divine. Simply divine. As beautiful as it looks on Amal, I really wish we get to see it worn by Kiernan Shipka.

15. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

I completely agree with you re length, but my goodness that giambattista valli is divine – she looks incredible!

16. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

The Giambattista Valli is flawless! I really love it

17. Guest April 13, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

Crushing hard! She is perfection! Beauty, brains, and style. My favorite headline from a business magazine stated ” Internationally acclaimed barrister Amal Alamuddin marries American movie actor” Perfect!

18. Bailey November 14, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Love that striped Dolce & Gabbanna!

19. dee September 30, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

I only like the first look. The other two looks are too short.

20. Kimmolicious-South Africa September 30, 2014 at 9:36 am #

She pulls off those looks better than the models- great looks

21. Kevinappears September 30, 2014 at 9:27 am #

That’s why George Clooney wants to marry her.

22. Denise September 30, 2014 at 8:50 am #

I find Amal classy with an intense presence, She breathes life to anything she wears and manages to let her strong personality shine through.It’s the first time my eye sees her first and then George Clooney. That said I liked the first two outfits better than the romantic but too short Valli.

23. Regina September 30, 2014 at 6:30 am #

The monochrome dolce and gabbana look is perfect. The other two are just as gorgeous. FC, will you be covering the GQ India awards? Priyanka looked fab! #teammonochrome

• Senda September 30, 2014 at 7:40 am #

Could you please also cover the closing ceremony of San Sebastian Film Festival?
      Juana Acosta looked spectacular in Stèphane Rolland. BDOTY contendant IMO.

24. Gemma Rockets September 30, 2014 at 4:20 am #

I think Amal is an incredible woman and she always looks fantastic. It’s nice to see someone with a career that isn’t usually associated with fashion having so much fun with it.

But, I do hope that she won’t spend the rest of her life being subjected to criticism for her clothing choices… This woman has married a very famous actor, but she hasn’t signed up for constant media attention. I sense she’ll deal with it with grace and elegance and I hope people don’t feel the need to start judging every outfit. Some of the comments above verge on disrespectful.

• Angela R September 30, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

Uhm, I think she is extremely delighted with her role as Clooney´s wife and all this fame stuff going around the two of them. She is enjoying it and playing the game, otherwise she would not wear so many high fashion outfits. It is like she was expecting this moment for showing up that she can also be a lovely skinny model and not only the boring lawyer that everybody expects… And of course her outfits will be judged from now on and I am absolutely sure she will not mind it at all. It is part of it.

25. Peony September 30, 2014 at 2:48 am #

I’m definitely in the minority, but I wasn’t that impressed to be honest. My favourite is the Dolce & Gabbana look, because it seems the most effortlessly chic.

I find the hi-low/mullet hemlines awfully cheesy, I think they’ll date terribly and I’m surprised she went with not only one, but two of the same silhouette. The detail on the Giambattista Valli is exquisite, but it’s far, far too short. Would have loved to see it on a younger lady.

Also – her hair’s fantastic, but the big blow-out is also getting a little repetitive. The GV look would have been more classic with a chic chignon, IMO.

• elena September 30, 2014 at 8:11 am #

Agree with you.
      I am not impressed at all.. Actually quite disapointed!

26. Valissa September 30, 2014 at 2:34 am #

Amazing! She’s my current girl crush…beautiful, stylish and intelligent! George Clooney did well!
    I love all these looks, I think my favourite is the D&G but the Valli is gorgeous too!
    Also, I think she was photographed again today wearing an off-White pant suit with a hat and she looked so classy and chic!!

27. Fiona - Perth September 30, 2014 at 12:53 am #

I think we have found a new one to watch – she has great style and it seems impeccable taste in clothes and men! My favourite is the Dolce & Gabbana that was the first time I saw her on the water taxi in Venice and she looked impossibly glamorous. Her hair is amazing. I can’t wait to see the gown in Vogue. Very happy for them both.

28. brat September 30, 2014 at 12:32 am #

Kane I 100% agree

29. brat September 30, 2014 at 12:30 am #

Not impressed at all. I like the Dolce and Gabbana. She made a beautiful gown on Michelle O look tacky. The Valli is way too short, does not flatter her and struck me as completely age and event inappropriate. I want to like her style, but I can’t. The Valli is so short it borders on indecent, I’ve seen micro mini’s that look more respectable. Overall nothing on her works for me. Love her hair and her makeup though.

30. I LOVE YOU VOGUE September 30, 2014 at 12:19 am #

I love the Giambattista Valli dres! 🙂

31. kane September 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

I’ll have to go with the D&G as well. I hate to say it, gorgeous and clever she is, she really makes me hate high/low hemlines like no-one has managed before. Too bad, especially, in the case of the GV, too short indeed and the proportions are bordering on unflattering.

• kane September 30, 2014 at 8:23 am #

…I have got to say though the Stella McCartney suit + hat outfit for the civil ceremony is gorgeous. Easily my favourite by far (bar, obviously, the actual wedding dress possibly).

32. Nat39 September 29, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

I absolutely disagree. My instant thought is that she shouldn’t be showing off her “asset legs” in a skirt of this length and cut, they are a bit too thin – that pretty Valli is absolutely wrong on her – twee and extremely unflattering to her legs.
    Love the fiery red McQueen, the drama of the print, cut and colour and the length is a bit more balanced on her with the longer skirt at the back. The 1st is a little bit boring, but lovely and works very well on her.

33. LeeAnn September 29, 2014 at 9:05 pm #

I think she is a very beautiful woman but she has taste that goes all over the place: the dolce striped dress is wonderful but the shoes? The Valli dress is stunning but not appropriate, I wish she had worn with trousers or lengthened it, the McQueen is a bit Middle East abnd frankly floppy hats should not be worn by anyone over 18.

• cherrysoftness September 30, 2014 at 2:26 am #

I’m torn. She is beautiful, and the Valli dress is a gorgeous dress, absolutely, I love this dress and think it’s divine, but I can’t reconcile the two of them together. It just seems wrong for her altogether, and the length is also an issue – the shortness is adding to the feeling that’s it’s too twee for her. It is her wedding weekend though so I understand why she might opt for something lace-y and romantic.

• Lee Ann September 30, 2014 at 9:42 am #

I just think it looks like she is wearing a Negligee. I adore the dress but it would have been so much better had it been 4-6 inches longer or as is with a chic pair of straight leg silk trousers . Her wedding gown however is absolutely beautiful. The way it is to me just looks wrong for her age as well as probably most ages, her level of sophistication and the venue ( eg hopping in and out of boats)

• Peony October 1, 2014 at 4:47 am #

+1 totally agree with this. If you look at photos of her pre-wedding weekend, it was clear she was not a style maven at all…some really terrible, frumpy outfits. Since her engagement it’s clear she’s been given a fashion fairygodmother (in the form of Oscar de la Renta, for her wedding at least) and she’s had her pick of designers…but as someone else said, access to couture does not a style icon make.

34. Amy September 29, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

I think the GV dress is definitely too short, but the Dolce is absolutely perfection!

35. sophie September 29, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Her style is great. Classy and elegant but interesting. She needs better Shoe Game, much like Mrs. O and Katy Cambridge.

36. Noemi September 29, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

She’s a beautiful woman with really long legs!!
    I love all the looks, I agree that Valli Couture is really short, but I love that dress.
    I really like the way she dresses, also because she’s classy so I hope we will see more of her style on this blog.

37. Alina September 29, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

1. Major hair envy!!!

• Nat39 September 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

• Sleepless in Chicago September 30, 2014 at 2:47 am #

38. H September 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

39. Carrie September 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

The GV dress may be a bit too short, but wow is it gorgeous!!!

40. Yeliz September 29, 2014 at 7:18 pm #

It’s really too short, but the Valli look is still my fave of the bunch.

41. Phoenix September 29, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

42. Dhppy September 29, 2014 at 6:48 pm #

43. Rebecca Z September 29, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

44. Christine September 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

I love all three looks! She got style game for sure!

45. pinksugar September 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

• Sleepless in Chicago September 30, 2014 at 2:46 am #

46. dressaddict September 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

The brunch dress is my favorite, the detail is exquisite!

47. Iva September 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

I really like the Giambattista Valli dress.
    However, considering the occasion I would choose the D&G look as the best one.

What do you thing about her look at the civil ceremony today?

• Iva September 29, 2014 at 5:28 pm #