Menu

05.05.15

Sarah Jessica Parker In H&M – 2015 Met Gala

Sarah Jessica Parker In H&M - 2015 Met Gala

Sarah Jessica Parker easily commanded the red carpet upon her theatrical arrival at the ‘China: Through the Looking Glass’ 2015 Met Gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City on Monday (May 4).

Those wishing for a dramatic look that embodies the evening’s Chinese theme will find no fault with the extravagance of her statement here.

What may be more unexpected is that she has embraced high-street for the evening, wearing a custom H&M one-shoulder gown embellished by a large red flower and tapestry-style runner and complemented by Cindy Chao brooches.

But the real star of the show—the crown jewel of her look—was the fiery, flame-wielding headpiece by Philip Treacy, adorned with pom poms and tassels.

What I love most is not the look, per se, but that SJP has never been one to shirk a good Met Gala theme, taking full advantage of the spirit of the evening with her artfully experimental and creatively over-the-top looks that are nothing if not memorable.

Credit: Getty

Katie Holmes In Zac Posen - 2015 Met Gala

Katie Holmes In Zac Posen – 2015 Met Gala

Jessica Chastain In Givenchy - 2015 Met Gala

Jessica Chastain In Givenchy – 2015 Met Gala

37 Responses to Sarah Jessica Parker In H&M – 2015 Met Gala

1. Annel May 6, 2015 at 13:52 #

My eyes! My eyes!!!

2. Betelgeuze May 6, 2015 at 09:50 #

I absolutely adore it. My favourite of the night.
    You can always count on SJP to nail the Met Gala theme and pull it off. The headpiece is completely ridiculous, theatrical and perfectly on spot. I love the flames.

3. Caroline May 5, 2015 at 17:25 #

Well, at least she stuck to the theme and looked dramatic enough for the Met Gala, if not over too dramatic.

4. Sim May 5, 2015 at 15:42 #

I absolutely adore this. As usual, SJP is the ONLY one to take the theme seriously. She owns the MET gala this year as she does every year. #ShameOnYouHollywood #WhereIsYourStyleGameHollywood

5. Mel May 5, 2015 at 14:30 #

I love the dress and the hair, but the headpiece is mad and the boots she wore didn’t make any improvement.

The real question is, How did she get in the car?

6. YRbaby May 5, 2015 at 13:25 #

Somewhere in alternate universe China right now, a museum is celebrating the incredible breadth and beauty of European art and culture, and the Asian SJP equivalent turned up in a plate armor made by West Coast Customs. PS: I am Asian.

7. AB May 5, 2015 at 11:57 #

I really want to love it but I just don’t.

8. Viral May 5, 2015 at 11:46 #

if you HAVE to do philip tracey and it is a chinese themed event why not go to the collection tracey did with McQueen – bitterly disappointed no one resurrected a look from the McQueen+Tracey collection of the yore. here she looks like her child made this for crafts project. and the dress is a bad project runway mess. and her makeup makes her face look more tired than it usually does.

9. kevinappears May 5, 2015 at 11:42 #

The Peking Opera head piece is a great touch! Fun and delightful.

10. Amy May 5, 2015 at 11:30 #

nice dress, but the headpiece is too big for me

11. Regina May 5, 2015 at 10:19 #

She looks like Jen from The IT Crowd when “Aunt Irma” visits” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgWhT9rDO2g&spfreload=10

12. kane May 5, 2015 at 09:13 #

LURVE the head piece!

13. Yeliz May 5, 2015 at 06:29 #

I can’t even appreciate the idea of this look, since I also think that the headpiece is way too OTT. It fits the theme, yes, but she wasn’t attending a carnival.

14. msj May 5, 2015 at 06:21 #

Screams Holloween; it’s insulting to call this Chinese inspired.

15. Pedro May 5, 2015 at 03:48 #

WOW

Queen SJP looks fantastic! This is epic

16. pinksugar May 5, 2015 at 02:18 #

Does she look a little crazy? Yes. Does she always honor the theme better than anyone else? Absolutely. And for that this is pure win for me. She gets it. She forever gets it.

17. Lil May 5, 2015 at 02:09 #

Urgh, please no. I can tell where that headdress is drawing “inspiration” from– Beijing opera. And it’s just such a tired trope that is trotted out and out again by Western designers looking for “Chinese” influence. So not here for this orientalizing crap.

Also, I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard non-Asians degrading Beijing opera and making fun of it but when SJP comes prancing here with some vaguely Beijing opera inspired headgear, we suddenly praise her as edgy and whatnot? No, that’s cultural appropriation at its worst.

18. EmmaWoodhouse May 5, 2015 at 01:30 #

I always enjoy how she brings the drama! The headpiece is very interesting, though probably a bit OTT…the dress looks a bit cheap. I think the headpiece, and updo, and a sleek black gown (perhaps with a bit of a cheongsam shape?) would have really sold this to me.

• Lyo May 5, 2015 at 01:56 #

My thoughts exactly. I like the drama of the headpiece, totally nailed it, but not the dress and hair.
      With so much going on in the head, a sleek black maybe cheongsam shaped gown would work better, and a sleek updo too.

19. TL May 5, 2015 at 01:30 #

She always gives us something new and special, while dressing the theme. It may not be beautiful or elegant, but there’s no ‘playing it safe’ on her mind. It’s always dramatic, fun and dazzling.

20. DivaDebbi May 5, 2015 at 01:22 #

I think she looks like a madwoman…

21. jenny May 5, 2015 at 01:17 #

My Icon can do no wrong. Every year she brings it to the met. Not only staying with theme but also her own flare of drama with it. this is definitely a highlight of the met, absolutely can’t miss…… She turns up in h&m and still managed to wow

• Christine May 5, 2015 at 01:19 #

Exactly. I mean at least this not BORING or SAFE! In a H&M dress no less, though! Lol. I mean wow!

22. Phoenix May 5, 2015 at 01:10 #

This is absolutely ridiculous and ugly. Wayyy too much of accessories and pattern and color. Silly and embarrassing if you ask me.
    And with all that stuff on her she still kept her hair down and in front???? awful

23. justme May 5, 2015 at 01:06 #

*deep sigh*
    This is exactly the caricatural, cultural appropriation I was afraid of when I first found out about the theme of the gala.

• jhh36 May 5, 2015 at 02:00 #

So true.

• Alina May 5, 2015 at 17:16 #

I agree.

24. Nat39 May 5, 2015 at 01:01 #

WAY OVER THE TOP!!I Better suited to some carnival, this is still a high-fashion event.

• Jay May 5, 2015 at 01:02 #

she is trying WAY too hard

25. sophie May 5, 2015 at 00:58 #

SJP looks like a fool with that headdress. I understand she loves Phillip Tracy, but this is obnoxious, if not the full Katy Perry ignorant, racist appropriating dumbassery.

The gown is fine, but this is ugh.

• effieee May 5, 2015 at 02:04 #

This is not comparable to Katy Perry’s ignorance at all. Katy Perry decided to dress up as a Japanese geisha for a performance and came out in a Chinese cheongsam instead. Whereas Sarah Jessica Parker is wearing a Chinese-inspired headdress to an event celebrating China’s influence on Western fashion.

Back to the look, I really like it. SJP is one of the few people who commits to the theme and she always knocks it out of the ballpark. I would’ve never guessed that her gown was by H&M. And while her headdress might be a tad OTT for some, I think she really pulls it off. Best dressed at the event, without a doubt.

• Kathy May 6, 2015 at 23:47 #

@ Sophie: I totally agree. Under most circumstances, SJP’s willingness to go above and beyond for a Met Gala theme would be much appreciated (i.e., Charles James, punk, etc.) but with something as politically charged as China, she’s crossed a line. The headpiece, despite being attention-grabbing, actually makes very little sense in a cultural context compared to real headdresses worn by figures throughout Chinese history, namely emperors and empresses. She’s neither paying tribute in a knowledgeable, well thought-out manner nor being clever and ironic. Instead, she comes off as over-the-top and costume-y, not to mention pretty insensitive.

26. Nadia99 May 5, 2015 at 00:57 #

You can always count on SJP to take the theme to a whole new level.

I kinda like it. I would probably find it ridiculous on someone else, though.

• alvaro_spain May 5, 2015 at 23:55 #

SJP always is on the theme! One of the best of the night for me.

27. Justine May 5, 2015 at 00:56 #

Definitely typical SJP Met Gala attire…..but I am not on board with that headpiece. Too much!

• dee May 5, 2015 at 16:28 #

28. Christine May 5, 2015 at 00:56 #

On any GIVEN Red Carpet event, this is a FUG and Total Fail, but since this is the MET GALA, this is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!

As always, Props to SJP for always DELIVERING!!!! This SUPER! Therefore, I love the fact she went there. It works for this Gala and this Chinese Theme!

Props to SJP for taking a risk where others went down the safe road.

The headgear is giving me CHILLS. YES.