01.06.13

Kerry Washington for Elle US June 2013

Kerry-Washington-ELLE1

It’s surprising to learn that Kerry Washington’s Elle US June 2013 cover is her first for a major title despite having a very successful career, with recent achievements including her blockbuster ‘Django Unchained’ being nominated for an Oscar, and being the first black woman to be cast in a lead role in a network drama for ‘Scandal’, which was just renewed for a third season.

For someone who has such amazing style on the red carpet, I feel she was let down with this editorial.

The cover shot by Horst Diekgerdes which sees her wearing Marc Jacobs is just OK, but inside the mag her Tom Ford, Balmain and Armani looks could’ve all been much better.

Kerry opens up to Elle about her early years, her career success and, of course, fashion.

On her current success: “I’m the luckiest broad in Hollywood now. To be the lead actor on ‘Scandal’ and to be in the highest-earning Tarantino movie – I don’t get to ask for more.”

On getting red-carpet ready: “I found out I enjoy the process. All these people show up at my house, they all have kits, someone has dresses. And it’s like, let’s have fun. It’s not all about me. We’re able to create stories on the red carpet.”

On the career Washington thought she’d pursue: “I imagined I’d be a clinical psychologist, with a focus on how performance shapes identity. I’d figure out ways to use role-playing in the healing of people.”

When asked if as a girl she thought she’d ever consider modelling or becoming a film actress: “I was not that girl. I was a kooky theater kid, silly and goofy and academic.”

Credit: Elle US

Jennifer Lopez' J Brand 811 Mid Rise Skinny Jeans

Jennifer Lopez’ J Brand 811 Mid Rise Skinny Jeans

Steal Sienna Miller's Big Apple Summer Chic Look

Steal Sienna Miller’s Big Apple Summer Chic Look

22 Comments

22 Responses to Kerry Washington for Elle US June 2013

1. moonbeam June 1, 2013 at 17:01 #

I agree w/ FC, I don’t think these looks do Kerry justice. Hopefully we’ll see Kerry on Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar or Vanity Fair soon!

• Catherine Kallon June 1, 2013 at 17:04 #

“Hopefully we’ll see Kerry on Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar or Vanity Fair soon!” – Ditto

• TeaAtTwo June 2, 2013 at 11:58 #

+1 I hope Zoe Saldana gets more covers too.

2. shifa rajwani June 1, 2013 at 17:13 #

I literally deflated when I got my copy in the mail…. I love her. She’s gorgeous, and empowered. Two things all women long to be,but This does not show a strong, powerful women. This is a Meh worthy photoshoot…

3. AnderBoBo June 1, 2013 at 17:24 #

Such beautiful photos of a beautiful and talented woman! If Anna had any sense she’d put Kerry on the cover of Vogue.

• Kathy June 1, 2013 at 17:45 #

This is just speculation, and I love Kerry’s style, but I don’t think her career has taken off enough to be given a Vogue cover just yet. She was in some indies in her 20s, and had a role in Django Unchained…obviously Scandal is her biggest project at the moment. The show is still relatively new but maybe once it has really taken off she will be on more big-name covers like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, or even W.

• Lulu June 1, 2013 at 18:27 #

Hmm. If Blake can be a vogue girl, so can Kerry.

• justme June 1, 2013 at 18:53 #

Eh, Blake Lively has multiple Vogue covers and her biggest claim to fame at the time was being on a teen TV show. Anna doesn’t care about CVs and resumes lol.

• Prudence June 3, 2013 at 04:42 #

exactly! This isn’t about her career resume and I think we all know it! Anna don’t like black skin on her cover unless its the superhuman ones like Bey, Oprah and Halle. Anyways, I love this, its about time she gets some major fashion covers, this girl has killer style and killer career. Also, I have to say I adored her spread like the denim mixed with such luxurious pieces was genius! Had to purchase it!

• AnderBoBo June 1, 2013 at 19:35 #

Anna has let flash in the pans grace Vogue multiple times (Sienna Miller). Kerry has been around long enough to be worthy of more than one major cover.

• amy June 1, 2013 at 21:04 #

I beg to differ. If Kate Upton is good enough for a Vogue cover then Kerry Washington certainly is. Scandal is big in the US (like huge) and Django was everywhere so Kerry should have got more covers. Anna just puts whoever she likes on the cover, she doesn’t really think about the career that much anymore.
        I still don’t get why Jenifer Lawrence hasn’t had a

• Beta June 3, 2013 at 10:46 #

+1 hopefully soon!

4. Yeliz June 1, 2013 at 17:35 #

I love Kerry even more now that I’ve started watching Scandal a couple of days ago. She’s an amazing actress, she was awesome in Django Unchained as well.

I agree, this editorial could’ve been ten times better, but I kinda still like it, especially the cover, she looks beautiful. And thankfully not all I see is, unlike most of the magazine covers, photoshop.

5. Kathy June 1, 2013 at 17:39 #

Underwhelming photo spread. Even the cover is completely lackluster. Kerry’s pose looks so awkward and forced, with one hand behind her head and the other touching her stomach. The only outfit I like is the denim jacket and floral skirt. Most of these shots either look fake or make her appear short, which is very unfortunate. With all due respect to the stylist, it’s not that hard to find clothes that flatter a five-four woman. Olivia Palermo does it on a daily basis.

6. Christine June 1, 2013 at 18:15 #

She is so beautiful. I like the cover but not the editorial pictures inside the magazine. They could’ve done better.

7. KatieKate June 1, 2013 at 22:29 #

My husband loves Kerry, and when he saw my issue of Elle with her on the cover he said, “What IS that”?! Even he picked up on the fact that the cover does not do her one bit of justice. Super disappointing…

8. Fashion Guru June 1, 2013 at 23:24 #

That cover is uninspired, not is itfashionable. Very pretty girl but likes IT GIRL aura. I think she dresses quite well but I am never really floored by anything.

9. Ysatis June 2, 2013 at 15:20 #

We all know why Kerry hasn’t landed a major cover sooner despite having a very successful year on TV, cinema and red carpet. It’s the same reason she isn’t the face of some fragrance, cosmetic, bag, fashion brand.

IMO Kerry is cut above many Hollywood actresses. She’s poised, elegant, well spoken, educated, intelligent, talented, and beautiful. Jessica Chastain has the same qualities but one landed a contract with YSL and the other not.

• KatieKate June 3, 2013 at 01:56 #

Kerry does have a contract advertising Movado watches….but she definitely deserves a beauty contract too. I mean, look at her skin!

• Beta June 3, 2013 at 10:50 #

+1 totally agree, there aren’t many actresses with her résumé and her level of education (she has a double major!!). The public obviously loves her too
      I hope she’s getting lots of offers, and that she can decide whether it’s something it interests her or not

10. k6wing June 3, 2013 at 01:58 #

Horrible cover :/

11. EmmaWoodhouse June 11, 2013 at 14:02 #

Don’t like the cover or any of the shots. A disappointment.