10.05.13

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Get The Look: Kelly Rowland’s MTV Video Music Awards Mani

Stacy Keibler In Monique Lhuillier - 2013 A&E Networks Upfront Event

Stacy Keibler In Monique Lhuillier – 2013 A&E Networks Upfront Event

36 Responses to Fashion Critics’ Met Gala Round Up

1. kathryn May 10, 2013 at 16:08 #

Karolina would have been my third best dressed model after Cara Delevingne and Anja Rubjik. I don’t find Karolina’s dress that impressive and I hate the slick back hair look. She does have killer legs so I think its great that she showed them off but the look is just so/so

• CDC May 10, 2013 at 19:37 #

• Magdalena May 10, 2013 at 23:02 #

Anja was my best dressed model too.

• SkirtTheIssue May 11, 2013 at 00:10 #

I’m not usually an Anja fan, but she was definitely the best model for me too

• Mily January 12, 2014 at 20:51 #

I agree! Anja totally followed the punk theme, looked like The Clash girl, and still looked stylish and beautifull

2. Rashmi May 10, 2013 at 16:09 #

wow! A surprise Round up !
    A good one, agree with few , disagree with most :D
    But that’s the fun of it..
    Thanks for the wonderful coverage.

3. Alina May 10, 2013 at 16:29 #

I don’t agree with you, FC, but that’s the beauty of fashion!

Thanks for your amazing job covering this event!

4. admmgz May 10, 2013 at 16:36 #

I love it when you do your round-ups! :)
    I agree with all of your choices and categories w/ the exception of Jennifer Lopez- her look was good but it just didn’t quite do much for me…but that’s just my opinion

• admmgz May 10, 2013 at 16:42 #

I personally really liked the looks from Nina Dobrev & Taylor Swift ;)

• admmgz May 10, 2013 at 18:23 #

How could I forget to add Anne Hathaway & Diane Kruger??

5. Moxie May 10, 2013 at 16:38 #

I disagree with FC about the best dressed. Of those three, only Amber would have made my Top 10 list. Oh well… this would be a boring place if we all agreed.

The others I agree with. The only thing I would have added would have been something like “Best Dressed but Ignored the Theme”

• Moxie May 10, 2013 at 16:38 #

Or an “Belonged at an Awards Show” award.

• Marybeth May 10, 2013 at 17:22 #

That would be a good one, Moxie!
        Uma, Blake, Amber, Naomie….some others.

But the one person whose look I loved but that doesn’t fit anywhere is Jennifer Lawrence. “Belonged at a Dior Fashion Shoot” award? :lol:

6. Marybeth May 10, 2013 at 17:18 #

I love round-ups!

This was an interesting event. It had so many different looks and we all had quite different, highly personal reactions to them.
    The coverage was fantastic —thanks, FC! — and I enjoyed all the comments.

My 3 favorites were Nina Dobrev, Diane Kruger, and either Hailee Steinfeld or J-Lo. I never could decide between the last two. Sugar-sweet punk or diva-punk?

My biggest disappointment was Gwen Stephani. I thought she, of all people, would absolutely nail this one but she was just so-so.

7. Yeliz May 10, 2013 at 17:19 #

Amber and Cameron were in my Top 10, but I only loved JLo’s hair. Totally agree with Chloe’s award. And Sienna’s, she definitely worked that spiked outfit and was my personal best dressed.

Thanks FC and RCFA team for an incredible coverage. Being so up-to-date and fast during one of the biggest fashion events of the year makes me love this blog even more. Kudos to you!

8. kc May 10, 2013 at 17:21 #

These choices are very confusing. The only one I agree with even a little bit is Christina Ricci.

• Magdalena May 10, 2013 at 23:02 #

I agree.

9. Loulou May 10, 2013 at 17:36 #

Some Gaultier and Galliano would’ve been well appreciated!!
    Haven’t really studied all the looks but for now Emmy and Diane were my best dressed!
    Thanks for the coverage.Now ready for Cannes!!!!!

10. Sophie May 10, 2013 at 17:46 #

funny how exactly these 3 best dressed have the least amount of votes from the readers :P

• Sophie May 10, 2013 at 17:52 #

I agree 100% on Cameron. But I think Amber’s red Pucci dress is soooo tired, we have seen so many variations of it & it is not on the theme. Same goes for Jennifer. She always wears something like this Kors dress, it’s just boring now, and it didn’t have the wow factor either, just whatever, another embellished Lopez dress, what else is new. And again, not event appropriate either.

11. Molly May 10, 2013 at 17:52 #

I loved J Lo, Ricci, Richie, Hathaway, and Sienna Miller. Having said that, I was really disappointed with the theme choice and gown selection. All of these beautiful people and extremely talented designers ended up looking like a bunch of confused amateurs.

12. Nat39 May 10, 2013 at 19:18 #

The event was so disappointing I was considering voting for JLo just for the hair and makeup alone, ended up voting for SJP only for fully embracing the theme artistically and I can’t even say that I loved it. Amber and Cameron completely missed the mark imo.
    Chloe was one of the worst, yes, but can’t say the most disappointing, as I don’t think anyone expected much of her anyway, the higher expectations were for someone like Gwen Stephani, and personally for me it was Karolina who left me very underwhelmed. Doutzen Kroes was the most impressive of the models for me, she nailed her modern punk couture princess look.
    Don’t think Lily Collins should be recognized for embracing the theme, she failed to do it successfully imo, it was a mess, she looked like a punk witch at a Halloween party.

13. CDC May 10, 2013 at 19:41 #

I agree with choosing Cameron and JLo but I still think SJP was the best dressed person at the Met Gala.

I’m still confused as to why only 2 people wore Vivienne Westwood to a punk-themed event. Was there a reason, or did it just happen that way? In any case, excellent coverage all around! This is why RCFA is my homepage :)

• Catherine Kallon May 10, 2013 at 20:30 #

thanks love x

14. ash May 10, 2013 at 20:22 #

I dont agree about Cameron Diaz, JLo, Lily Collins and KK. and personally I still want Taylor Swift.

15. Sammy C May 10, 2013 at 20:50 #

I like your best dressed, they were on my top ten too.

Its great to see Elizabeth Banks mentioned for something. Im not a fan of short when it comes to the MET unless its done excellently and I think she is a good example of that. She was also on my top.

I have to agree with Nat39 on Gwen Stefani for disappointing and also on Lily Collins. Miley and Anne would have made better members of Embracing The Theme team.

As for Beyonce I think you are being way too nice. I always point out how much I love her artistry and what a great inspiring example of a woman she is, but I have to be objective and recognise that the her fashion bads take the worst dressed category to a new level. Im down with her day wear and show wear sometimes, but she still hasn’t done the red carpet any good in my opinion.

I know Kim Kardashian was worst dressed by far, but B and her both have something in common that I can’t get past: thinking that the print on your dress is so good it should repeat itself in your shoes AND other accessories to match…. Eeewwww! I mean, NO print should repeat itself on your footwear from your dress, nice or not, period. The only reason why B is above K for me is that at least she tried to punk it up.

16. Lex May 10, 2013 at 20:56 #

I have to say I’m really surprised at these choices, and don’t agree at all. Lily Collins?? It’s more Halloween.
    In fact most of them seem not to understand what Punk is and seem to be desperately conforming rather than rebelling!. To be honest I think Anne and Kristen most captured the spirit and Chloe the letter of the theme. Most of the others were a hysterical eyesore. Spikes, and a dog collar does not a Punk make.

17. Prudence May 10, 2013 at 23:56 #

FC! I AM SHOCKED! The best dressed people you chose are UN PUNK! I would think you would embrace the people who actually dressed accordingly. Also mindboggled by the zero recognition Anne is getting!

• Catherine Kallon May 13, 2013 at 15:58 #

I think this will be the last time I do these roundup.

• Sara May 13, 2013 at 21:33 #

Noooooooooo!!!! PLease don’t let this be your last!!! I LOVE reading about your opinions and fun categories you create. I can’t say that I agree with them all but this is, after all, YOUR BLOG! Carry on saying what you think!

18. Yvette May 11, 2013 at 04:18 #

J. Lo really? That outfit just looks like something I’ve seen before. She’s so tacky.

19. Jess2 May 11, 2013 at 06:58 #

I loved Amber Heard but i thought Anne Hathaway and Nina Dobrev were best dressed. I loved Cameron’s outfit but her hair was bad and ageing.

20. CreoeleLady May 11, 2013 at 10:34 #

I think I’ll remember this event not as the Met ball 2013 but the Marmite ball, lol. Great roundup.

21. marie May 11, 2013 at 12:40 #

my favorite hands down was Sienna Miller. she made it look so easy

22. EmmaWoodhouse May 13, 2013 at 03:00 #

Far from my favorite Met Gala. My favorites ON theme were Diane Kruger, Ginnifer Goodwin and Hailee Steinfeld; off-theme I loved Bee Shaffer and Naomie Harris (though their looks had punk elements imo).
    Fun seeing your round-up, FC! Can’t wait for Cannes!

23. JJ May 13, 2013 at 04:29 #

disagreed. For me, best model award should go to Cara Delevingne. She is easily the best with her devil-may-care attitude.

My choice for best dressed is Diane Kruger and Anne Hathaway.