Nina Dobrev In Elie Saab – John Varvatos 10th Annual Stuart House Benefit

Nina Dobrev In Elie Saab - John Varvatos 10th Annual Stuart House Benefit

Nina Dobrev was back on the red carpet on Sunday afternoon to support the John Varvatos 10th Annual Stuart House Benefit in Los Angeles, California.

The ‘Vampire Diaries’ actress wore yet another Elie Saab frock, this time from the Spring 2013 collection.

As a huge fan of Nina’s style and Elie Saab’s work, I should love this look, but I don’t.

It was my least favourite look from the designer’s Spring 2013 collection.

Where this vanilla-and-charcoal dress with a full skirt falls down for me is at the fold-over details on the bodice. It bothered me back in October when it took to the runway and it bothers me even more so now.

It’s such a shame because I love the colours against Nina’s olive skin, plus the stripes are on trend and the lace bodice is really pretty.

A metallic-silver Jimmy Choo ‘Carmen’ clutch and grey suede Pollini sandals accessorized her look, with Nina’s usual routine of flawless, barely-there makeup providing the finishing touches.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nicolas Cage In Ferragamo & Ryan Reynolds In GANT Rugger - 'The Croods' New York Premiere

Nicolas Cage In Ferragamo & Ryan Reynolds In GANT Rugger – ‘The Croods’ New York Premiere

Diane Kruger For Flare April 2013

Diane Kruger For Flare April 2013

31 Responses to Nina Dobrev In Elie Saab – John Varvatos 10th Annual Stuart House Benefit

1. Moxie March 11, 2013 at 17:06 #

I love the dress, and the folds give the illusion of a vest. I could take the folds or leave them, but the rest of the dress is great. Love the shoes. No boring black pumps. I wish she’d done something different with her hair… it is a little too bed-head.

2. Molly March 11, 2013 at 17:13 #

It’s really only that vest thing that is horrible. Particularly from the angle of that photo — it looks like her chest is huge and trying to escape. If the white part were cut a big more generously, it might not be so bad, although I would still prefer the outfit without it altogether. Given the fact that this dress was chosen for some reason, she’s done a nice job pulling it off and styling it.

3. Anne March 11, 2013 at 17:15 #

I love when fashion can elicit such opposing views! This was actually my favorite dress from the collection. I felt like I was seeing an ES creation, but through a new lens. It was something fresh and different from the designer. I fell in love with the skirt.

I think it’s quite cute on Nina. I do wish she would have worn her hair back.

4. Anj March 11, 2013 at 17:16 #

I agree, not liking this look. The bust area is a complete failure on its own merit alone.

5. Dhppy March 11, 2013 at 17:35 #

On the one hand, kudos to Elie Saab for branching out and trying something new. On the other, this “I can’t seem to button my cardigan” look is just jarring.

6. Rita March 11, 2013 at 17:39 #

I am so sick of her posture, it’s actually starting to ruin her outfits for me! She lokks like she is insecure about herselfor something. Almost like Britney Spears!

• Nishta March 11, 2013 at 17:43 #

Her posing is atrocious.

My only theory is that she has knock-knees (something I too am blessed with so I’m always happy to find other people who have the same problem) and so she poses sideways so that it’s not so obvious.

It’s probably why she always wears knee high boots or flared jeans on the TVD.

• Christine March 12, 2013 at 02:39 #

Not a fan of her posing but she looks ok. Not bad.

• Morgan August 12, 2013 at 04:13 #

I also have knock knees and happen to be very insecure about them. Standing the way she is does help to cover up the fact because standing straight makes it completely obvious because your feet don’t touch together and its a problem that can bother a lot of people who have it. I think she has it to, you can tell by the way she walks and stands but she has really long legs so that helps. But she cant help that that’s the way shes built and it doesn’t seem to be keeping her down at all. I think she gorgeous!!

7. firien March 11, 2013 at 17:40 #

I liked it on the model but not on Nina. Guess she’s too busty to make this work.

8. Kathy March 11, 2013 at 17:53 #

I really like the dress, but it just looks strange on Nina. She’s not actually that busty, but the cut of the bodice and the way she’s posing make her look like it. I’m not sure those shoes go with the dress. Prefer the runway heels.

9. Serena March 11, 2013 at 17:53 #

I love it, although I did like it better on the model than on her.

10. dee March 11, 2013 at 18:43 #

I like this from waist down.

11. Elise March 11, 2013 at 18:46 #

It’s a beautiful dress without that fold illusion, vest, or whatever is called.

12. Betelgeuze March 11, 2013 at 19:49 #

As much as I love Nina I really dislike this look – it gives me strong Vanessa Hudgens vibes.
    Although I didn’t like her same-length, long tresses, I see why she sticked to it for so long, as I feels like this particular do doesn’t suit her roundish face.

13. Aline March 11, 2013 at 20:47 #

I actually really like it. She looks very feminine and adorable. Plus, I love the sandals.

But she needs to stop posing like that.

14. EmmaWoodhouse March 11, 2013 at 20:56 #

I think the photo caught her at an awkward moment. The dress is lovely and her styling is great. BDOTW-worthy!

15. Yeliz March 11, 2013 at 22:01 #

Her posture is what brings this look down. The fold-over details wouldn’t look so bad, had she posed better. I like the dress on the model, but I only like the look from the waist down on Nina.

• towanda March 12, 2013 at 14:52 #

hate her posture

16. mg March 11, 2013 at 22:29 #

getting tired of her style. always Elie Sabb + strappy sandals

17. Cindy March 12, 2013 at 02:23 #

I too love this dress! I do think it looks better on the model with the flatter chest. I don’t like Nina’s hair here.

18. JD March 12, 2013 at 04:02 #

Love, love, love! This is a flirty and fabulous dress! Elie Saab never disappoints! He is the DESIGNER of this century!

19. the ogre March 12, 2013 at 06:26 #

she wears such nice stuff and then ruins it with her posture. very under confident coming from a girl who’s so pretty and talented and popular too. the dress is lovely but the white fold over detail is really unnecessary. but as a lot of others have said this is something very different from elie saab and nina wears it well because she has styled it impeccably. the shoes are lovely. and i really dont care if she keeps wearing strappy sandals!

20. ash March 12, 2013 at 06:40 #

what happened to her hair?!

21. Jess2 March 12, 2013 at 10:27 #

I love this look from the neck up but nothing below. A very rare miss but it has more to do with the dress than how she put the look together.

22. lola March 12, 2013 at 11:09 #

This is for me very Nina dobrev…not good and a lack of style that is very evident.. Pretty girl as she is.

23. Pene March 12, 2013 at 11:12 #

Not her hair

24. Mia March 12, 2013 at 14:56 #

I adore Elie Saab. It’s nice dress. But I think that this dress is not good for Nina. And the hairdo is awful

25. Prudence March 12, 2013 at 20:47 #

the dress ages her like crazy. and yea, it was one of my lease favorite looks. great for a 80 year old Parisian woman not Nina. her hair seems a little odd as well…overall pretty bad look.

26. katie March 13, 2013 at 22:11 #

I adore Elie Saab but Ninas figure is not made for this dress, she makes it look cheap

27. Bailey October 7, 2014 at 00:58 #

The top of the dress is unflattering and looks better on the runway. From the waist down it’s a nice dress though