Menu

26.02.13

My Oscar Night In Roland Mouret

Oscar night

On Sunday, I woke up like a kid on Christmas morning at 5am, unable to sleep for the fact that Sunday was Oscars day and I would finally be able to reveal my Roland Mouret gown, which you not only picked but styled for me.

The last three months since announcing the project had flown by and, after a hearty breakfast at my hotel, I was getting my hair teased into a wavy faux bob a la Kerry Washington by Luis Santelices from Serge Normant at John Frieda.

By 1pm I was rushing out of the door to The Grove to see Matthew Militello at M.A.C., who created my ‘Sunset Starlet’ look. After he worked his magic it was back to the hotel, where Marie and I danced to Shalamar’s ‘A Night To Remember’ before I pulled on my Roland Mouret gown.

With the hair, makeup, Kotur clutch, Christian Louboutin shoes and Annoushka jewels, the whole look was finally complete.

Our driver took us to our first location, which was Boa Steakhouse, for the InStyle Oscar Viewing Party, where we watched the whole ceremony – a first for me, I have to say.

Usually I have my back to the TV while I blog the red carpet, so it was a treat to watch the whole event while sipping champagne and enjoying the buffet and bags full of candy.

There were many stars mingling around, including Chord Overstreet, Maria Menounos and Jessie Metcalfe, but as a fan of the hit show ‘Castle’ I was most excited to see Nathan Fillion, who is just as charming as his onscreen character.

After screaming with excitement when Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo’ won best picture (my favourite movie of the year, but I expected ‘Les Mis’ to win), we headed to Elton John’s party as a guest of Chopard.

My entrance time slot was at 9.30pm. Each attendee gets a entrance time slot, celebs included. This prevents everyone from turning up at the same time.

As we arrived Naomi Campbell was just leaving, which I was a bit disappointed about as I would’ve loved to have taken a picture with her… if she would’ve let me, of course.

As it was a cold night, I wore my Roland Mouret bright-orange coat, which turned a few heads.
I was really nervous about taking to the red carpet to have my picture taken because, let’s face it, I am not a celebrity, but I really wanted at least one professional picture of me in my Roland Mouret gown.

After running that gauntlet, I finally made it inside the venue, which was huge with three separate rooms. The buffet room, the bar and dancing area, and the room where they hosted the viewing party, auction and performance by Emeli Sande.

We met many celebs at this party, including a gorgeous Nicole Richie (who is even more petite in real life) in Roberto Cavalli, attending with her rocker husband Joel Madden; Jenna Elfman in Stella McCartney; Hannah Ashworth from Hollyoaks in Gucci; Mel B, whose husband was kind enough to take our picture with the Spice Girl; Chris Brown, who was hanging with Elton John; Lance Bass; Analeigh Tipton in Elie Saab; Katie Aselton in Paule Ka; Debby Ryan in Lisa Ho; and many more, but the highlight of the night was meeting Steven Tyler.

He was so funny and so nice taking time to talk to both myself and Marie, while cracking a few dirty jokes.

The best part of the night for me was the people, including celebrities, who would stop me and say “your dress is gorgeous”, and how excited Katie Aselton, who follows my site, was when she saw my Roland Mouret gown.

The night ended with several spins on the dance floor before our carriage took us back to our hotel.

It was a truly magical night which couldn’t have been made possible without your continued support.

It was a real Cinderella moment – without the ugly sisters, of course.

Big thanks to everyone at team Roland Mouret, The Communication Store, and Starworks LA, who made this all possible. Christian Louboutin, Fiona Kotur, Annoushka Ducas and the man himself, Roland Mouret.

While I’m sadly not engaged, I did feel like the belle of the ball.

BIG Thanks to Rachel, Melissa, Emily, Mimi, Jeeyun and Margeaux for running the site so smoothly in my absence.

Credit: Getty

Ashley Tisdale's Rebel Yell 'Eagle' Boyfriend Cropped Tee

Ashley Tisdale’s Rebel Yell ‘Eagle’ Boyfriend Cropped Tee

Vanessa Hudgens' All Saints 'Turnlock Monument' Coat

Vanessa Hudgens’ All Saints ‘Turnlock Monument’ Coat

93 Responses to My Oscar Night In Roland Mouret

1. rivalta February 27, 2013 at 01:03 #

And the fairest of them all is………….

2. Albericio February 27, 2013 at 00:18 #

I must say you were more elegant than many other guests and nominees not only in the parties, but also to the Awards on Sunday night! FABULOUS! <3

3. Kathy February 26, 2013 at 23:51 #

Must have been quite a night! You looked stunning, and I’m so jealous you got to meet Steven Tyler and Nathan Fillion! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress. It is so striking and beautiful against your skin tone, and you’re simply glowing. It doesn’t bother me that only my choices for shoes and makeup won, since everything turned out fantastically.

Also, just curious, will you be posting a list of your own choices for dress, fabric, accessories, hair, etc.? I remember you replying to someone else’s comment on another post talking about that.

4. lee February 26, 2013 at 23:48 #

beautiful! so happy for you, you deserve it.

5. TLO February 26, 2013 at 23:46 #

You looked amazing, Catherine, but we’re not surprised a bit. You always look great every time we see you. You have this remarkable ability to lighten up a room with your grace and presence. Pair that with a gorgeous Roland Mouret gown and we see a winner. We’re SO HAPPY for you! We can’t state that enough. You love fashion, you have the utmost respect for these designers and what they do, you work so hard on this site, so it’s nice to see people like you not only get the recognition you so well deserved, but also getting to experience incredible moments like these. Thank you for sharing it with us! XO

6. EmmaWoodhouse February 26, 2013 at 23:40 #

Aww, I smiled the whole time reading this!!! It sounds like you had a most lovely time and it was so, so fun to “live it” through your detailed accounts and great photos!!!! Loved this so much–so happy for you!!!! 🙂 🙂 And the Oscar for Best Blogger goes to…
    Catherine Kallon!!! 🙂

P.S. Showed your picture to my mom and she said, “She is so beautiful!”

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2013 at 03:24 #

you are so kind.. thank you

7. firien February 26, 2013 at 23:25 #

Ooooh wow…..!!!!
    I can’t say anything more than what has been said before but still: thank you for trusting us and taking us to this magical journey! I’m no-one to say such things, yet I am very, very proud of you/us to make you so beautiful and graceful for this night.
    Thank you!

8. Ruth February 26, 2013 at 23:23 #

Looks like you had a blast! The hair style really suited you and nicely framed your face and your fantastic smile. Also, I’m SO jealous you got to meet Nathan Fillon!

9. Marlie February 26, 2013 at 23:22 #

You looked stunning!! So glad you shared your Oscar journey with us and allowed us to help create your completed look. Please include yourself as a best dressed of the week u will definitely get my vote! Thanks again for all your hard work. I love this site. Keep up the great work

10. zineb February 26, 2013 at 23:06 #

I enjoyed every bit of your beautiful story. Thank you Catherine for making us part of your dream, it’s been a pleasure all the way from the begining. I think the entire readers had only eyes for you & we quite didn’t care about what other celebrities wore because you overshadowed them.
    Steven Tyler sounds really fun 😀
    Though it’s out of topic but I wanted to share with you the information that Anne Hathaway released an official statement apoligizing for causing disappointment regarding the choice of her Oscar dress. I felt sad for her that she had to make it public like that, what do you think of it ?
    And again, you were DROP DEAD GORGEOUS !

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2013 at 03:25 #

thank you for being part of the journey.

I’m surprised that Anne released a statement. Unnecessary if you ask me

• zineb February 27, 2013 at 14:24 #

Yes, she explained saying that this Valentino dress http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2013CTR-VALENTIN/#47 was her first decision but she heard that some actress was going to wear a similar dress so she changed her plans in the last minute only on saturday & picked this Prada dress. She said that she wanted to honor her friend Valentino but that she really had to give it up. It’s just sad because she didn’t really look so bad & it’s just a dress after all.

11. Camille February 26, 2013 at 23:04 #

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful night with all of us!! It is so exciting to read about and the pictures are fantastic! I also love Nathan Fillion (since Firefly) and I’m so happy to hear he’s as charming as he is handsome. BTW you are positively glowing in that picture with him, so beautiful!

The dress turned out better than I expected and the pics where the fabric has this luscious sheen to it and the asymetrical part really stands out are just to die for: perfection!! Your hair and makeup looked amazing and I hope you are happy with all the choices we made. It was so so much fun voting and helping you put this look together and then to share in your magical night at the Oscars-well it was a real priveledge. You are such a talented and beautiful woman and I know all your fans are just so proud of you!!

12. MissAmynae February 26, 2013 at 22:56 #

Stunning. Just really really lovely.

13. ddukes February 26, 2013 at 22:52 #

You look beautiful! I love the hair, the make up is divine, the orange coat worked great! The pink of the dress is so beautiful against your skin! And your pose on the Red Carpet, well, you could teach those celebs a thing or two!

I picked the dress style, the color, the hair and make up.

I am curious about how you felt about our choices Were you happy with them? Is there anything you would have done differently?

I hope you had a wonderful time! Oh, and your figure is incredible!

14. sara February 26, 2013 at 22:41 #

LOVE EVERYTHING

15. Lucia February 26, 2013 at 22:41 #

You look gorgeous!!! What an awesome night you had, I’m happy for you 🙂

16. Tania February 26, 2013 at 22:38 #

Congratulations FC, this is a well deserved experience due to all your hard work over the past years. I must say you look like a proper model on those pics, and stunning! Keep it going because we (your readers) love your work!, xx

17. Fiona - Perth February 26, 2013 at 22:28 #

What amazing pictures – you look absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your experience, so exciting. You definitely look at home on the red carpet, beautiful.

18. anjos February 26, 2013 at 22:25 #

You look amazing. Love the coat, too. So happy for you. 🙂

19. Victoria February 26, 2013 at 22:09 #

Ooh, you look like a true star and that photo with Nathan FIllion… I’m so jealous.

20. Marybeth February 26, 2013 at 21:59 #

Thanks so much for sharing your night and all of the preparations with us. It’s the next best thing to being there is person.
    You were quite brave to trust us to choose your look! I am so glad it turned out so well. You were gorgeous!!!

21. C February 26, 2013 at 21:50 #

Can we see the coat?

22. Hana February 26, 2013 at 21:46 #

Girl, you rock! You looked like a princess, I hope you felt like one too

23. GiGi February 26, 2013 at 21:42 #

Are you back home now? This is a wonderful recap…thanks for the details… just curious – the dress is a bit different than the one selected I think.. was this b/c Roland thought it would be preferred? LOVE the color. You look as good as any starlet.

24. Kaiva February 26, 2013 at 21:40 #

You looked beautiful!
    And I really like your hair like that, suits you very well.

25. Sara February 26, 2013 at 21:35 #

Sounds like a magical day! You looked absolutely divinely stunning. Thank you for letting us be a part of it.

26. Lee Ann February 26, 2013 at 21:33 #

You looked beautiful.wow Castle guy is tall! Yeah!

27. Sonya February 26, 2013 at 21:27 #

Thank you for sharing. You look amazing, that color is great for your body and skintone. Big thanks to you and your team for doing such an AMAZING job informing us what everyone is wearing, providing the details of how all of the celebs look glam. I am so happy to see you took the time out for yourself to get pampered and fabulous like the stars you cover. Keep up the good work! You deserve it!

28. Sharon February 26, 2013 at 21:26 #

This Fairy Godmother is so proud just to know Cinderella. You are always beautiful FC, but this took you to drop-dead gorgeous. Thank you so much for letting us participate. And tell me again why you aren’t a supermodel.

29. C February 26, 2013 at 21:25 #

Can we see the coat? 🙂

• Catherine Kallon February 26, 2013 at 22:18 #

it has been added…sorry i forgot it

30. Joy February 26, 2013 at 21:22 #

I was SO eager to hear about all of the details of your day as a princess. Thank you so much for sharing! What a wonderful day! I’m so happy for you, it looks like it was such a fun day. I keep coming back to your pictures, amazed at just how beautiful your dress was. It truly was stunning and you looked every bit a princess.

31. Eseg February 26, 2013 at 21:18 #

You look gorgeous!! I love your hair!

32. dee February 26, 2013 at 21:18 #

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for letting us share in your night.

33. Jennifer February 26, 2013 at 21:12 #

Catherine, congratulations! It’s been so exciting to watch this unfold for you as a long time reader! I love how the site has evolved and how you have grown! I can’t think of anyone more deserving, and so glad you had such a wonderful time! You looked fantastic, and looking forward to many more years to come!

34. Unvacuous February 26, 2013 at 21:03 #

Glad we have more pics to see the details, wow that makeup and hair look gorgeous on you!

35. Ali February 26, 2013 at 21:01 #

You look very much at home among the Hollywood gang, glowing! And wow is Mel B really that tiny or are you just super duper tall?!

36. Fanny February 26, 2013 at 20:58 #

1. You have the cutest smile!
    2. You should seriously consider cutting your hair to a permanent bob cause you rock it!

37. Tracy L February 26, 2013 at 20:56 #

I was so hoping you’d do a post like this! Thank you and so glad you shared with us.

38. gurlygurl February 26, 2013 at 20:52 #

I was more excited about seeing you than any “celebrity” 🙂 you looked every inch the star!! sounds like you had a great night. Thanks for sharing it all with us xox

39. Ella February 26, 2013 at 20:50 #

First thing that stood out to me–YOU ARE A FAN OF CASTLE!! Seriously, fantastic show so I love the picture of you and Nathan Filion =)

So loved this post; you must have had the most amazing time…and you definitely looked like Cinderella =)

40. Aline February 26, 2013 at 20:43 #

Oh I’m so happy for you! It seems that you had the best of time and you totally deserve it. Your hair looked fantastic. To be quite honest, I didn’t like the style much on Kerry but on you it looks so beautiful! Also love how you matched your nails to the jewels.

And Oh My God you met Nathan Fillion! I would’ve freaked!

41. mm February 26, 2013 at 20:42 #

Thank you for the wonderful recap. It was so much fun voting for your entire look! FC you
    re gorgeous You looked lovely!!! I hope you make into the big event the next go around.

42. the Very Simon G February 26, 2013 at 20:41 #

WOW WOW WOW, what an amazing experience!!! So proud of you darling, such an amazing achievement! x

43. sara February 26, 2013 at 20:40 #

So glad you had a great time!!!

• Linda February 27, 2013 at 03:58 #

Me too – thanks for the rundown too!

44. Emily February 26, 2013 at 20:37 #

Sounds so amazing FC! You looked absolutely stunning, so glad you had a great time.

45. Jessica February 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

You looked gorgeous! I am glad you had a good time. I appreciate you sharing your journey ith us! Thank you for all the hard work you do! Glad to hear about Nathan Fillion, I love castle and he seems so down to earth!

46. Moxie February 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

Glad you had a great time, FC. I am so jealous you met Nathan Fillion! I’ve loved him since he was Malcom Reynolds (Capt Tightpants) on Firefly.

47. Yeliz February 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

This is the one post I was eagerly waiting for! It sounds like you had a perfect Oscars day Catherine, and I am so happy for you, because you deserved it a lot. I am loving your look even more whenever I look at it. That colour is just divine on you. And what was that about “I am not a celebrity”? I think you should’ve let the photographers take 1000 pics of your stunning look! Here’s to (hopefully) another flawless look at next year’s Oscars!

• DivaDebbi February 26, 2013 at 22:31 #

You look exquisite FC! Its been great fun that we were all a part of this night. I’m so glad it was amazng for you. You truly deserve to experience the biggest Red Carpet night of the year as a gorgeous guest.
      I always do my DivaDebbi’s Report Card after the Oscars, GG’s, SAG and Emmy awards. Wthout a doubt you would be on my A Team. Congrats and thanks for sharing wth your loyal readers. We adore and appreciate you!

48. minty0 February 26, 2013 at 20:34 #

oh, it was so nice of you to write this. I really wanted to know how it went. THANK UU!!
    You looked amazing and you’re sooooooooo lucky, to have had that opportunity.
    I had no idea others were running the site!!
    I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish we do this again – choosing your outfit and styling it, as my dreamjob is to be a stylist, so thank uu!!

great experience & hope to do this soon!!!

49. Rebecca Z February 26, 2013 at 20:31 #

Great story, great pictures. So glad you had such a good time!

• Kaz February 27, 2013 at 10:48 #

+1!

I so enjoyed reading that. Glad you had a dream of a time!

Xx

50. mountain hsu February 26, 2013 at 20:27 #

u look amazing.

i really like u when u smile. the beautiful angel around us….

• Mountain Hsu February 26, 2013 at 22:43 #

I am so happy that i am the first who made comments on ur story.

And u look really great….

• Christine February 27, 2013 at 01:53 #

YOU looked AMAZING! So happy for you darling. Glad you had fun!!!

• Christine February 27, 2013 at 01:54 #