26.02.13

My Oscar Night In Roland Mouret

Oscar night

On Sunday, I woke up like a kid on Christmas morning at 5am, unable to sleep for the fact that Sunday was Oscars day and I would finally be able to reveal my Roland Mouret gown, which you not only picked but styled for me.

The last three months since announcing the project had flown by and, after a hearty breakfast at my hotel, I was getting my hair teased into a wavy faux bob a la Kerry Washington by Luis Santelices from Serge Normant at John Frieda.

By 1pm I was rushing out of the door to The Grove to see Matthew Militello at M.A.C., who created my ‘Sunset Starlet’ look. After he worked his magic it was back to the hotel, where Marie and I danced to Shalamar’s ‘A Night To Remember’ before I pulled on my Roland Mouret gown.

With the hair, makeup, Kotur clutch, Christian Louboutin shoes and Annoushka jewels, the whole look was finally complete.

Our driver took us to our first location, which was Boa Steakhouse, for the InStyle Oscar Viewing Party, where we watched the whole ceremony – a first for me, I have to say.

Usually I have my back to the TV while I blog the red carpet, so it was a treat to watch the whole event while sipping champagne and enjoying the buffet and bags full of candy.

There were many stars mingling around, including Chord Overstreet, Maria Menounos and Jessie Metcalfe, but as a fan of the hit show ‘Castle’ I was most excited to see Nathan Fillion, who is just as charming as his onscreen character.

After screaming with excitement when Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo’ won best picture (my favourite movie of the year, but I expected ‘Les Mis’ to win), we headed to Elton John’s party as a guest of Chopard.

My entrance time slot was at 9.30pm. Each attendee gets a entrance time slot, celebs included. This prevents everyone from turning up at the same time.

As we arrived Naomi Campbell was just leaving, which I was a bit disappointed about as I would’ve loved to have taken a picture with her… if she would’ve let me, of course.

As it was a cold night, I wore my Roland Mouret bright-orange coat, which turned a few heads.
I was really nervous about taking to the red carpet to have my picture taken because, let’s face it, I am not a celebrity, but I really wanted at least one professional picture of me in my Roland Mouret gown.

After running that gauntlet, I finally made it inside the venue, which was huge with three separate rooms. The buffet room, the bar and dancing area, and the room where they hosted the viewing party, auction and performance by Emeli Sande.

We met many celebs at this party, including a gorgeous Nicole Richie (who is even more petite in real life) in Roberto Cavalli, attending with her rocker husband Joel Madden; Jenna Elfman in Stella McCartney; Hannah Ashworth from Hollyoaks in Gucci; Mel B, whose husband was kind enough to take our picture with the Spice Girl; Chris Brown, who was hanging with Elton John; Lance Bass; Analeigh Tipton in Elie Saab; Katie Aselton in Paule Ka; Debby Ryan in Lisa Ho; and many more, but the highlight of the night was meeting Steven Tyler.

He was so funny and so nice taking time to talk to both myself and Marie, while cracking a few dirty jokes.

The best part of the night for me was the people, including celebrities, who would stop me and say “your dress is gorgeous”, and how excited Katie Aselton, who follows my site, was when she saw my Roland Mouret gown.

The night ended with several spins on the dance floor before our carriage took us back to our hotel.

It was a truly magical night which couldn’t have been made possible without your continued support.

It was a real Cinderella moment – without the ugly sisters, of course.

Big thanks to everyone at team Roland Mouret, The Communication Store, and Starworks LA, who made this all possible. Christian Louboutin, Fiona Kotur, Annoushka Ducas and the man himself, Roland Mouret.

While I’m sadly not engaged, I did feel like the belle of the ball.

BIG Thanks to Rachel, Melissa, Emily, Mimi, Jeeyun and Margeaux for running the site so smoothly in my absence.

Credit: Getty

Frugal Friday

Frugal Friday

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Oscars Parties?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Oscars Parties?

93 Responses to My Oscar Night In Roland Mouret

1. mountain hsu February 26, 2013 at 20:27 #

u look amazing.

i really like u when u smile. the beautiful angel around us….

• Mountain Hsu February 26, 2013 at 22:43 #

I am so happy that i am the first who made comments on ur story.

And u look really great….

• Christine February 27, 2013 at 01:53 #

YOU looked AMAZING! So happy for you darling. Glad you had fun!!!

• Christine February 27, 2013 at 01:54 #

Great post btw!

• admmgz February 27, 2013 at 03:34 #

+1 :)

2. Rebecca Z February 26, 2013 at 20:31 #

Great story, great pictures. So glad you had such a good time!

• Kaz February 27, 2013 at 10:48 #

+1!

I so enjoyed reading that. Glad you had a dream of a time!

Xx

3. minty0 February 26, 2013 at 20:34 #

oh, it was so nice of you to write this. I really wanted to know how it went. THANK UU!!
    You looked amazing and you’re sooooooooo lucky, to have had that opportunity.
    I had no idea others were running the site!!
    I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wish we do this again – choosing your outfit and styling it, as my dreamjob is to be a stylist, so thank uu!!

great experience & hope to do this soon!!!

4. Yeliz February 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

This is the one post I was eagerly waiting for! It sounds like you had a perfect Oscars day Catherine, and I am so happy for you, because you deserved it a lot. I am loving your look even more whenever I look at it. That colour is just divine on you. And what was that about “I am not a celebrity”? I think you should’ve let the photographers take 1000 pics of your stunning look! Here’s to (hopefully) another flawless look at next year’s Oscars!

• DivaDebbi February 26, 2013 at 22:31 #

You look exquisite FC! Its been great fun that we were all a part of this night. I’m so glad it was amazng for you. You truly deserve to experience the biggest Red Carpet night of the year as a gorgeous guest.
      I always do my DivaDebbi’s Report Card after the Oscars, GG’s, SAG and Emmy awards. Wthout a doubt you would be on my A Team. Congrats and thanks for sharing wth your loyal readers. We adore and appreciate you!

5. Moxie February 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

Glad you had a great time, FC. I am so jealous you met Nathan Fillion! I’ve loved him since he was Malcom Reynolds (Capt Tightpants) on Firefly.

6. Jessica February 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

You looked gorgeous! I am glad you had a good time. I appreciate you sharing your journey ith us! Thank you for all the hard work you do! Glad to hear about Nathan Fillion, I love castle and he seems so down to earth!

7. Emily February 26, 2013 at 20:37 #

Sounds so amazing FC! You looked absolutely stunning, so glad you had a great time.

8. sara February 26, 2013 at 20:40 #

So glad you had a great time!!!

• Linda February 27, 2013 at 03:58 #

Me too – thanks for the rundown too!

9. the Very Simon G February 26, 2013 at 20:41 #

WOW WOW WOW, what an amazing experience!!! So proud of you darling, such an amazing achievement! x

10. mm February 26, 2013 at 20:42 #

Thank you for the wonderful recap. It was so much fun voting for your entire look! FC you
    re gorgeous You looked lovely!!! I hope you make into the big event the next go around.

11. Aline February 26, 2013 at 20:43 #

Oh I’m so happy for you! It seems that you had the best of time and you totally deserve it. Your hair looked fantastic. To be quite honest, I didn’t like the style much on Kerry but on you it looks so beautiful! Also love how you matched your nails to the jewels.

And Oh My God you met Nathan Fillion! I would’ve freaked!

12. Ella February 26, 2013 at 20:50 #

First thing that stood out to me–YOU ARE A FAN OF CASTLE!! Seriously, fantastic show so I love the picture of you and Nathan Filion =)

So loved this post; you must have had the most amazing time…and you definitely looked like Cinderella =)

13. gurlygurl February 26, 2013 at 20:52 #

I was more excited about seeing you than any “celebrity” :) you looked every inch the star!! sounds like you had a great night. Thanks for sharing it all with us xox

14. Tracy L February 26, 2013 at 20:56 #

I was so hoping you’d do a post like this! Thank you and so glad you shared with us.

15. Fanny February 26, 2013 at 20:58 #

1. You have the cutest smile!
    2. You should seriously consider cutting your hair to a permanent bob cause you rock it!

16. Ali February 26, 2013 at 21:01 #

You look very much at home among the Hollywood gang, glowing! And wow is Mel B really that tiny or are you just super duper tall?!

17. Unvacuous February 26, 2013 at 21:03 #

Glad we have more pics to see the details, wow that makeup and hair look gorgeous on you!

18. Jennifer February 26, 2013 at 21:12 #

Catherine, congratulations! It’s been so exciting to watch this unfold for you as a long time reader! I love how the site has evolved and how you have grown! I can’t think of anyone more deserving, and so glad you had such a wonderful time! You looked fantastic, and looking forward to many more years to come!

19. dee February 26, 2013 at 21:18 #

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for letting us share in your night.

20. Eseg February 26, 2013 at 21:18 #

You look gorgeous!! I love your hair!

21. Joy February 26, 2013 at 21:22 #

I was SO eager to hear about all of the details of your day as a princess. Thank you so much for sharing! What a wonderful day! I’m so happy for you, it looks like it was such a fun day. I keep coming back to your pictures, amazed at just how beautiful your dress was. It truly was stunning and you looked every bit a princess.

22. C February 26, 2013 at 21:25 #

Can we see the coat? :)

• Catherine Kallon February 26, 2013 at 22:18 #

it has been added…sorry i forgot it

23. Sharon February 26, 2013 at 21:26 #

This Fairy Godmother is so proud just to know Cinderella. You are always beautiful FC, but this took you to drop-dead gorgeous. Thank you so much for letting us participate. And tell me again why you aren’t a supermodel.

24. Sonya February 26, 2013 at 21:27 #

Thank you for sharing. You look amazing, that color is great for your body and skintone. Big thanks to you and your team for doing such an AMAZING job informing us what everyone is wearing, providing the details of how all of the celebs look glam. I am so happy to see you took the time out for yourself to get pampered and fabulous like the stars you cover. Keep up the good work! You deserve it!

25. Lee Ann February 26, 2013 at 21:33 #

You looked beautiful.wow Castle guy is tall! Yeah!

26. Sara February 26, 2013 at 21:35 #

Sounds like a magical day! You looked absolutely divinely stunning. Thank you for letting us be a part of it.

27. Kaiva February 26, 2013 at 21:40 #

You looked beautiful!
    And I really like your hair like that, suits you very well.

28. GiGi February 26, 2013 at 21:42 #

Are you back home now? This is a wonderful recap…thanks for the details… just curious – the dress is a bit different than the one selected I think.. was this b/c Roland thought it would be preferred? LOVE the color. You look as good as any starlet.

29. Hana February 26, 2013 at 21:46 #

Girl, you rock! You looked like a princess, I hope you felt like one too

30. C February 26, 2013 at 21:50 #

Can we see the coat?

31. Marybeth February 26, 2013 at 21:59 #

Thanks so much for sharing your night and all of the preparations with us. It’s the next best thing to being there is person.
    You were quite brave to trust us to choose your look! I am so glad it turned out so well. You were gorgeous!!!

32. Victoria February 26, 2013 at 22:09 #

Ooh, you look like a true star and that photo with Nathan FIllion… I’m so jealous.

33. anjos February 26, 2013 at 22:25 #

You look amazing. Love the coat, too. So happy for you. :)

34. Fiona - Perth February 26, 2013 at 22:28 #

What amazing pictures – you look absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your experience, so exciting. You definitely look at home on the red carpet, beautiful.

35. Tania February 26, 2013 at 22:38 #

Congratulations FC, this is a well deserved experience due to all your hard work over the past years. I must say you look like a proper model on those pics, and stunning! Keep it going because we (your readers) love your work!, xx

36. Lucia February 26, 2013 at 22:41 #

You look gorgeous!!! What an awesome night you had, I’m happy for you :)

37. sara February 26, 2013 at 22:41 #

LOVE EVERYTHING

38. ddukes February 26, 2013 at 22:52 #

You look beautiful! I love the hair, the make up is divine, the orange coat worked great! The pink of the dress is so beautiful against your skin! And your pose on the Red Carpet, well, you could teach those celebs a thing or two!

I picked the dress style, the color, the hair and make up.

I am curious about how you felt about our choices Were you happy with them? Is there anything you would have done differently?

I hope you had a wonderful time! Oh, and your figure is incredible!

39. MissAmynae February 26, 2013 at 22:56 #

Stunning. Just really really lovely.

40. Camille February 26, 2013 at 23:04 #

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful night with all of us!! It is so exciting to read about and the pictures are fantastic! I also love Nathan Fillion (since Firefly) and I’m so happy to hear he’s as charming as he is handsome. BTW you are positively glowing in that picture with him, so beautiful!

The dress turned out better than I expected and the pics where the fabric has this luscious sheen to it and the asymetrical part really stands out are just to die for: perfection!! Your hair and makeup looked amazing and I hope you are happy with all the choices we made. It was so so much fun voting and helping you put this look together and then to share in your magical night at the Oscars-well it was a real priveledge. You are such a talented and beautiful woman and I know all your fans are just so proud of you!!

41. zineb February 26, 2013 at 23:06 #

I enjoyed every bit of your beautiful story. Thank you Catherine for making us part of your dream, it’s been a pleasure all the way from the begining. I think the entire readers had only eyes for you & we quite didn’t care about what other celebrities wore because you overshadowed them.
    Steven Tyler sounds really fun :D
    Though it’s out of topic but I wanted to share with you the information that Anne Hathaway released an official statement apoligizing for causing disappointment regarding the choice of her Oscar dress. I felt sad for her that she had to make it public like that, what do you think of it ?
    And again, you were DROP DEAD GORGEOUS !

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2013 at 03:25 #

thank you for being part of the journey.

I’m surprised that Anne released a statement. Unnecessary if you ask me

• zineb February 27, 2013 at 14:24 #

Yes, she explained saying that this Valentino dress http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/S2013CTR-VALENTIN/#47 was her first decision but she heard that some actress was going to wear a similar dress so she changed her plans in the last minute only on saturday & picked this Prada dress. She said that she wanted to honor her friend Valentino but that she really had to give it up. It’s just sad because she didn’t really look so bad & it’s just a dress after all.

42. Marlie February 26, 2013 at 23:22 #

You looked stunning!! So glad you shared your Oscar journey with us and allowed us to help create your completed look. Please include yourself as a best dressed of the week u will definitely get my vote! Thanks again for all your hard work. I love this site. Keep up the great work

43. Ruth February 26, 2013 at 23:23 #

Looks like you had a blast! The hair style really suited you and nicely framed your face and your fantastic smile. Also, I’m SO jealous you got to meet Nathan Fillon!

44. firien February 26, 2013 at 23:25 #

Ooooh wow…..!!!!
    I can’t say anything more than what has been said before but still: thank you for trusting us and taking us to this magical journey! I’m no-one to say such things, yet I am very, very proud of you/us to make you so beautiful and graceful for this night.
    Thank you!

45. EmmaWoodhouse February 26, 2013 at 23:40 #

Aww, I smiled the whole time reading this!!! It sounds like you had a most lovely time and it was so, so fun to “live it” through your detailed accounts and great photos!!!! Loved this so much–so happy for you!!!! :) :) And the Oscar for Best Blogger goes to…
    Catherine Kallon!!! :)

P.S. Showed your picture to my mom and she said, “She is so beautiful!”

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2013 at 03:24 #

you are so kind.. thank you

46. TLO February 26, 2013 at 23:46 #

You looked amazing, Catherine, but we’re not surprised a bit. You always look great every time we see you. You have this remarkable ability to lighten up a room with your grace and presence. Pair that with a gorgeous Roland Mouret gown and we see a winner. We’re SO HAPPY for you! We can’t state that enough. You love fashion, you have the utmost respect for these designers and what they do, you work so hard on this site, so it’s nice to see people like you not only get the recognition you so well deserved, but also getting to experience incredible moments like these. Thank you for sharing it with us! XO

47. lee February 26, 2013 at 23:48 #

beautiful! so happy for you, you deserve it.

48. Kathy February 26, 2013 at 23:51 #

Must have been quite a night! You looked stunning, and I’m so jealous you got to meet Steven Tyler and Nathan Fillion! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress. It is so striking and beautiful against your skin tone, and you’re simply glowing. It doesn’t bother me that only my choices for shoes and makeup won, since everything turned out fantastically.

Also, just curious, will you be posting a list of your own choices for dress, fabric, accessories, hair, etc.? I remember you replying to someone else’s comment on another post talking about that.

49. Albericio February 27, 2013 at 00:18 #

I must say you were more elegant than many other guests and nominees not only in the parties, but also to the Awards on Sunday night! FABULOUS! <3

50. rivalta February 27, 2013 at 01:03 #

And the fairest of them all is………….

51. Trudie February 27, 2013 at 01:23 #

So happy for you! Love the site and you really deserved this moment!

52. charmedsage February 27, 2013 at 01:45 #

You were so gorgeous FC! You were floating like a goddess during the party.

53. Chloé February 27, 2013 at 01:48 #

You looked AMAZING!!! It was a real pleasure to have you share this experience step by step with us! The gown, the show, the hair, you! Thank you, and one again, WOW!!

54. meimei February 27, 2013 at 01:52 #

You look stunning, i can’t get over how amazing you look in that dress! I am so jealous you met nathan fillion! by the way thank you for sharing your memories from the Oscars :)

55. andrianto February 27, 2013 at 02:56 #

you look AMAZING!

thank you for the report!

56. TeaAtTwo February 27, 2013 at 03:35 #

Glad you had so much fun, you worked the carpet like a pro. I love the Mouret coat. Is Marie your sister? Also, well done to the team covering the awards and parties.

Next year- Vanity fair!

57. Linda February 27, 2013 at 04:02 #

Wow, amazing pictures. I love the one of you posing with your make up artist. It’s before you put your dress on but you look gorgeous.

58. Teleholic February 27, 2013 at 04:18 #

So I don’t know if you can tell by my name but I am a BIG television addict, and my love for you increased a hundred times when you mentioned that you loved Castle. And you met Nathan Fillion!

Congratulations, and I am so happy that you had such a good time this year not having to work your butt off like you have for so many years before.

I’ve always had a feeling that WAY more celebrities follow your site than they let on– there’s no way for stylists not to be aware of this site. So I expected at least one run-in with someone who’d say that, and I love that it was Katie Aselton, I love her. And your anecdote about Steven Tyler really made me laugh, he seems like he’d be so much fun at a party.

Once again, I’m so happy that you had such a wonderful, enchanted night and that you chose to let us be a part of it, letting us put together your look and then sharing the glitz and glamour details.

You deserved this, Catherine! And so much more!

P.S. you looked drop dead gorgeous.

59. Valeria February 27, 2013 at 04:26 #

You are so statuesque and fresh faced! Now you need to do a post on how you eat, exercise and what you use to take care of your skin because no gown will make anyone glow like you do! Congratulations, you deserved that experience!

60. Mari February 27, 2013 at 04:50 #

Oh, Oscars Cinderella, tnks for let us be your magic mice :)

61. ariadne February 27, 2013 at 05:27 #

You look magical, FC.. I enjoy all your posts. Keep up the great work!

62. TL February 27, 2013 at 05:27 #

What a great smile you have. FC you look like a super model!

63. CreoleLady February 27, 2013 at 05:30 #

Thank you for this post. Just a guess, but I imagine that this post helped extend the magic of the evening just a little bit longer. Fabulous!

64. Angie February 27, 2013 at 08:29 #

Thanks for sharing! You were beautiful in your gown and I’m so glad you had such a great time! It’s the kind of magic night every girl dreams to live, and you are the one who deserved it the most, so congratulations! And thanks for your great work on this blog, it has quickly become a daily obsession for me! Hugs!

65. Rashmi February 27, 2013 at 08:43 #

Wow, loved the post !! It really felt like reading an experience of a very happy and excited kid :)
    Thankss a ton for the pics!! You look gorgeous even when you had absolutely no make up done on your face.
    Glad to know you had soooooooo much of fun and you got to meet such a wonderful line of celebs!
    And your 1000 watt smile, wow, its the most gorgeous accessory of you.

I specially liked the pic 7 with Marie (right?), is she your sis?? You both look so cute together.

And your orange coat, wow it sure is a head turner!

Finally I just wanted to say that, your journey for some reason felt like my/our journey too. God Bless you, and thanks lot for such an experience :)

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2013 at 14:16 #

yes, she’s my sister .

Thanks so much we had an AMAZING time.

• Rashmi February 28, 2013 at 12:36 #

Glad to know :)

Marie is beautiful, did you style her ;) Love her clutch!

• Catherine Kallon February 28, 2013 at 14:45 #

she is beautiful…she styled herself.

66. Noemi February 27, 2013 at 09:11 #

You looked very beautiful, and you deserved the big night. And Nathan Fillion, so sexy! Lucky you!

67. Hilary February 27, 2013 at 09:43 #

You looked completely and utterly incredible, FC! I’m so so glad it lived up to your expectations and that you felt like such a princess. I’ve followed your site daily since it’s conception, and I’m delighted for you. SO beautiful and elegant!xx

68. Anna February 27, 2013 at 10:11 #

After following this site since practically the beginning back in 2007, I am SOOO incredibly happy for you that you’ve made a career of this and are able to share these incredible moments! I think in some ways, it was a blessing in disguise when your job was made redundant way back then and you started blogging full time. Lucky us!

You are truly inspiring and I can only hope I will be able to create a career doing something I love full time…(quit job, forming own business – crosses fingers) Thank you for taking us on this journey!

69. Alex February 27, 2013 at 10:12 #

You look gorgeous! Sounds like you had a wonderful night and so well deserved. Love that Nathan Fillion, charming and handsome :-)

70. Andrea D ~ CustomizeMe February 27, 2013 at 11:51 #

Hey!
    I´ve been following your blog for a while, and I have to admit it: I love it! It´s always inpirational for me (I have my own blog)
    You really had a cinderella night and it seem you had a wonderfull time at the Oscar´s. You were BEAUTIFUL!
    Good luck and I hope to meet you sometime.
    An

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2013 at 14:14 #

Thank you Andrea. It really was a Cinderella night. I had such a good time.

71. Beta February 27, 2013 at 13:35 #

You look AMAZING!! The bob hairstyle is great, I really like it :) you’re drop dead gorgeous!!
    Im so happy that you had such a fantastic night!! :D

72. Leigh February 27, 2013 at 14:16 #

You looked gorgeous! ANd you sound like you had a wonderful time! So happy for you! Thank you for all the wonderful coverage and for letting us share your magical night FC! xox

73. breezedash February 27, 2013 at 15:26 #

awesome dress, awesome you!

74. anni February 27, 2013 at 18:07 #

wow!! swoon! you look better than most of the celebs that were on the red carpet, absolutely gorgeous and that dress fits you like a glove!

cant wait to see more designers make clothes for you
    ;)

75. S-R February 27, 2013 at 21:01 #

Congrats, FC!!!!

76. Markness February 28, 2013 at 06:39 #

So proud of you, FC! And girl, I WANT YOUR COAT! Haha! I super love it! It could brighten up your heavy snowy winter! Love love love!

Can’t wait for next year! ;)

77. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang February 28, 2013 at 16:18 #

Catherine, you absolutely look fabulous!! This coral pink Roland Mouret creation with asymmetrical neckline is striking against your dark olive skin!! Love the wavy faux bob and I’m so delight you go for light makeup to make your stunner dress speak for itself!! The complementary nude lip and sparkling clutch add just enough glamour to your striking look!! Catherine, definitely a goddess!! Love it!!

78. Mo February 28, 2013 at 19:39 #

O m w. had to take a double take to see ‘who-is-this-? Wow fabulous!