Rooney Mara In Balenciaga – ‘Side Effects’ Berlin Film Festival Photocall

Rooney Mara In Balenciaga - 'Side Effects' Berlin Film Festival PhotocallBefore her ladylike turn at the ‘Side Effects’ premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival in Germany, Rooney Mara suited up for the film’s photocall on Tuesday.

Donning an ensemble from the Balenciaga Resort 2013 collection, the actress was in a mannish mood.

The pleated, high-waisted silhouette of the wool pinstripe pant, with the wide belt bisecting the torso, is a hard trend to wear. It’s even more challenging when paired with a rigid harness-like top.

But count on Rooney as one of the few who could pull this off with some sense of coolness—despite the bit of awkward bunching that happened at the cuffed sleeves of her white blouse.

She looked relatively identical to the lookbook model, save for the swapping of the boot for a pointy pump and skipping the hoop earrings altogether.

She didn’t really need any accessories, though, as that vermillion lip against her porcelain skin was pop enough.

We can always count on her to wear thought-provoking pieces; perhaps she was paying homage to Nicolas Ghesquière with this look from one of his final collections for the Balenciaga label.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Diane von Furstenberg Fall 2013

Diane von Furstenberg Fall 2013

Saoirse Ronan In Simone Rocha - Irish Film And Television Awards

Saoirse Ronan In Simone Rocha – Irish Film And Television Awards

20 Responses to Rooney Mara In Balenciaga – ‘Side Effects’ Berlin Film Festival Photocall

1. Nat39 February 13, 2013 at 01:45 #

Normally I’d probably hate an ensemble like this but she is rocking it (!!) With her sleek center-parted hair, flawless strong makeup, no-jewellery approach and cool presence, it all works.

• kane February 13, 2013 at 09:57 #

I agree! The outfit itself doesn’t quite work for me, but she brings the best out of it!

2. Martin February 13, 2013 at 01:48 #

Speechless. God only knows how, given the trickiness and complexity of the ensemble, but Rooney has managed to pull this look off flawlessly for me. She is oozing effortlessness and cool here, but there is a polish that I love and that I find is quite often missing when other starlets, like Kristen Stewart, don Ghesquiere’s Balenciaga. BDOTW, undoubtedly.

• the ogre February 13, 2013 at 06:20 #

i totally agree with u on each point apart from the BDOTW thingy and that is only bcoz the week isn’t over yet.

A certain kind of sensibility is required to wear Ghesquiere’s Balenciaga. And she portrays it perfectly over here. She looks better than the model too somehow.And the earrings wouldn’t have been her style at all.

All in all a great look.

3. shontay February 13, 2013 at 02:02 #

Wow. She makes this outfit work. I don’t even like it on the model.

4. Christine February 13, 2013 at 02:15 #

Didn’t Kirsten Stewart rocked this look before? in a editorial?

She is making this look work. This is her look.

5. EmmaWoodhouse February 13, 2013 at 02:24 #

This is what Heidi would wear to a business meeting–to discuss, I don’t know, the launch of her mountain cheese sale. LOL.
    Anyway, I do like center-parted hair and strong lip very much.

6. TeaAtTwo February 13, 2013 at 03:13 #

I like this, but smart and modern with a sense of ease. The slick hair and strong lip (that shade is amazing) add to this effect.
    Are the shoes ‘Just picks’?

7. Mol February 13, 2013 at 03:33 #

Rooney(with her stylist?)picks perfect pieces for her style and mood – she is everything the model is, only sharpened up just that extra bit so that the whole outfit really comes into focus.

8. anjos February 13, 2013 at 04:13 #

I love this so much.

9. Yeliz February 13, 2013 at 05:23 #

She pulls this off perfectly. Can’t find a flaw, she looks great.

10. ash February 13, 2013 at 06:06 #

this is perfect. When you think of just the outfit itself, yo’d wonder how are you supposed to wear it without looking so stupid, but she pulled it with her quiet confidence.

11. Rashmi February 13, 2013 at 06:17 #

Spot on, she looks so similar to the model. Though I didn’t the look (thought its better for an editorial) but she somehow manages to rock this!!

12. Marko_M February 13, 2013 at 09:05 #

I SOOO love this! I have to admit, I’ve missed Ronney on the red carpet circuit.

13. Lee Ann February 13, 2013 at 10:57 #

She looks great in this but it can be certainly classified as a man repeller outfit.

14. Angela February 13, 2013 at 11:51 #

Perfect, I have loved all of Rooney’s 2013 looks thus far! This one is very bold ad I’m glad to see her expanding her comfort zone. She pulled this androgynous look off withvease, especially loved the slicked back hair.

15. dee February 13, 2013 at 13:43 #

I love this look. She looks better than the model. BDOTW candidate for me.

16. Susan February 13, 2013 at 16:28 #

This looks good on Rooney. I like it. Kristen Stewart has worn this look or similar a couple of times and it looked great on her too.

17. goldfish February 15, 2013 at 09:55 #

she looks beyond amazing- love this! bdotw

18. Jess2 February 16, 2013 at 04:07 #

This outfit isn’t really my taste but Rooney looks so cool. She is rocking this jumpsuit and I definitely prefer Rooney’s styling!