I did not see this coming.

I was in shock when I saw Dakota Fanning on the red carpet for ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2? premiere, held at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in California on Monday evening.

The shock was two-fold. Firstly, the hair colour. What a transformation.

We beg her every time she steps out to do something different with her never-changing hairstyle, so she went one better by changing the hair colour.

Secondly, she wearing colour… yay.

Her Elie Saab Fall 2012 Couture teal gown is most definitely not in the nude, blush, beige, cream family she usually favours.

Dakota’s draped gown, with a slit plus lace embroidery on the side, is accented with a teal leather belt and styled with a gold clutch.

Rings by Graziela, J/Hadley and Rona Pfeiffer, plus a rouge lip colour, completed the look.

Do you like Dakota’s new look or was it too much change in one go?

I have to say I love it. The element of surprise has me bowled over with glee.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nikki Reed In Versace - 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2' LA Premiere

Nikki Reed In Versace – ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′ LA Premiere

Nieves Alvarez' Emilio Pucci Houndstooth Chiffon Coat

Nieves Alvarez’ Emilio Pucci Houndstooth Chiffon Coat

45 Responses to Dakota Fanning In Elie Saab Couture – ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′ LA Premiere

1. Emmeline November 13, 2012 at 05:57 #

I could weep from the sheer relief of seeing her do something different.

Her hair looks so, so cute parted on the side like that. And on top of that, the dress looks gorgeous on her. Stunning color. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

2. Mandy November 13, 2012 at 06:00 #

She’s stunning in this colour. Still wish her hair was styled into an updo.

3. vicky November 13, 2012 at 06:21 #

Stunning! Tonight’s winner IMO!
    This red carpet has really turned upside down, the girls who normally opt for colour are in beige/naturals and the one person I’d never thought to ever see in something remotely colourful stuns us all! Well done Dakota (and your stylist).

4. Hannah November 13, 2012 at 06:22 #

I agree with you, she looks great! I love the dress and the hair is a nice change

5. Hannah November 13, 2012 at 06:25 #

I’m disappointed – this was my absolute favouite gown from Elie saab since about 2010, so I wish that it had been worn by someone who really worked it and its thigh-high split (Jennifer Aniston was my pick, she wouldn’t have worn it anyways, god forbid colour, but ow there is no chance!). The makeup I think is what ruins it – a smokey or cat eye with glossy, more neutral lips would have mae this look work a lot more, I personally hate tee warm makeup, particularly the eyes, with her complexion and with the dress.
    Also, I think that she died her hair brown for a role in an upcoming film.

• Zineb November 13, 2012 at 12:42 #

How can it be your favorite since about 2010 if the gown she’s wearing is from the 2012 collection? But I agree with you, we don’t always associate Dakota with Saab.

• Hannah November 13, 2012 at 16:07 #

AS in from all teh collectiosn since 2010 this has been my favourite gown – since around 2010 I hve found all of Elie’s collections very similar in style, hence this is my favourite one from the last few collections, which I found very samey.

• gabis November 15, 2012 at 04:30 #

I totally agree about her makeup. But overall she looks great and the dress is amazing. I love the teal colour.

6. Saree November 13, 2012 at 06:27 #

I didn’t know who I was looking like at first. I’m very impressed. Did we expect any tears of happiness/shock from you FC?

If it’s one thing I love about the Fanning sisters is their minimal make up. Not only for their age, but they continually look great without the need of heavy make up.

7. Christine November 13, 2012 at 06:41 #

LOVE the new hair color and love this look from head to toe. She nailed it!

8. gurlgurl November 13, 2012 at 07:17 #

So pretty! Love the hair color and that dress is divine. Works perfectly with the darker locks. Perhaps this will issue in an age of color for her :)

9. Sunny November 13, 2012 at 07:31 #

I think she looks really beautiful, and I even think the dress looks better on her than on the model.

10. Pablo November 13, 2012 at 07:47 #

I think poor Dakota is trying to get away from any resemblance to her very successful little sister Elle, hair-wise at least. ;)

Love the hair colour, her eyes pop. And the gown is just some more Ellie magic of the type he’s spoilt us with over the years.

11. Ella November 13, 2012 at 07:48 #

WOW!!! Dakota just surprised me!!!!!!!! I love her darker hair color!!

12. lyvm November 13, 2012 at 08:08 #

omg Dakota, u go girl!

13. Henrique November 13, 2012 at 08:14 #

The dress is boring but I love the new hair colour, it fits her very well.

14. Betelgeuze November 13, 2012 at 08:22 #

WOW, what a change!
    She took my breath away in a good way. Though extremely unexpected, the colour looks great on her.
    Love the hair, adore the dress. Way to go!

• admmgz November 13, 2012 at 18:50 #

15. manja November 13, 2012 at 08:28 #

wow she looks fantastic with new hair color,it suits her great.IMO she never looked better in her life.

16. Sea November 13, 2012 at 08:29 #

I was stunned! Love the new hair color and the gown on her. She looks more grown up and very beautiful.

• mm November 13, 2012 at 12:50 #

I so agree. What a difference this hair color makes. She should paid her stylist a mint!

17. Noemi (WBiS) November 13, 2012 at 08:36 #

She looks great with dark hair, really. I wonder if it’s her choice or for a new role. The dress is gorgeous. Great red carpet.

18. Mick November 13, 2012 at 09:03 #

Wow, what a change! She looks great, probably the best she’s ever looked on the rc. Def my favorite from the Twilight bunch tonight, together with Nikki Reed, who was very polished and refined, imo.

Ashley Greene not so much, same old type of dress, too princessey, while K. Stewart was stunning hair and makeup-wise, but I did not like the color nor the sheerness of her gown.

19. lola November 13, 2012 at 09:10 #

I bet this is way closer to her natural color because her skincolor and her eyecolor is actually visible…much better!She is so young that makes her always look a bit …meh…between worlds…the dress is way to grown up for her..the color is magnificent!

• carolina November 13, 2012 at 12:36 #

I do agree that the dress is too mature for her – too sexy for a young girl. I also think (though from comments, it’s for a role) that the hair is too dark by far for her complexion. several shades lighter would have worked better.

20. mia November 13, 2012 at 09:20 #

I am so pleasantly shocked and excited to see a new side to Dakota for this premier appearance. It may not be 100% working for her – but the best thing is that it’s refreshing and different. so YAY for her.

This Ellie Saab gown is really stunning – and the deep teal colour is so rich. Really gorgeous – but the problem is her POSTURE and POSE. She really needs to loosen her shoulder and bring them down. Too rigid in the upper arm area… it’s just awkward to look at.

she probably could’ve done more with her hair… i know she changed the colour – but it wouldn’t hurt to actually STYLE it.

21. TL November 13, 2012 at 09:24 #

Love it, she looks great in brunette.

22. Amy November 13, 2012 at 10:05 #

She nailed it! it’s pretty much perfect

23. Marie November 13, 2012 at 10:06 #

The dress is gorgeous but I think it doesn’t suit Dakota’s complexion… With the exception of Dita von Teese, this dress would look a hundred times better on girls with a darker complexion such as Thandie Newton, Jessica Alba or Penelop Cruz.

24. TeaAtTwo November 13, 2012 at 10:38 #

She does look pretty in the dress and the brown hair is working so well but I’m still kind of upset (if that’s the right word, I know it’s just a dress) that she wore it, I had hoped someone like Penelope Cruz or Fan Bingbing would wear it.

25. Yeliz November 13, 2012 at 11:46 #

I never imagined this breathtaking gown on a ‘teen star’ but Dakota totally pulled this off. I’m in love with the gown itself and it looks great on her.

And I am so happy that she dyed her hair, even if it’s for a movie role. I hope she continues being a brunette after that role.

26. bas November 13, 2012 at 11:59 #

absolute LOVE. I think this is the first time I got a WOW factor from her. Perfection.

27. EmmaWoodhouse November 13, 2012 at 13:09 #

WOW. This was the best look of the night imo, absolutely the best. I ADORE that teal color, and the only things bothering me (the sheerness, which, considering how far down the skirt it goes must be lined here and the slit, which isn’t obvious here) are moot points after seeing how stunning Dakota looks. The new hair color really makes her look like a star. Stunning, amazing, fabulous, BDOTW. She way outdoes the model!

28. dee November 13, 2012 at 14:03 #

I love the dress on her but I do not like her hair color. I think she looks better as a blonde.

29. Cecilia November 13, 2012 at 16:33 #

Love it!

30. Moxie November 13, 2012 at 16:35 #

Love the dress and the hair color. Wish she wouldn’t slouch though.

31. Toyosi November 13, 2012 at 16:37 #

I am so sorry, but I just don’t like it, she much better blonde and I find the dress boring. I love the teal colour, but ahhhh Dakota, she has looked so much better.

I think I would have preferred her hair up, that honesty would have changed the entire look for me and would have loved it. But it’s strange how the hair style makes it all crumble.

• tiffany November 13, 2012 at 21:41 #

+1 Dakota Fanning, Elie Saab and Twilight Movie premiere should never be in the same post.

32. Jan November 13, 2012 at 16:41 #

She was always meant to be a brunette imho. Her eyes stand out so much and her hair actually doesn’t look limp ad flat for once! Gorgeous.

33. Jess2 November 13, 2012 at 18:25 #

Se looks lovely! Bravo Dakota, you definitely gave us something beautiful and outside of your style box!

34. Amber November 13, 2012 at 23:17 #

love it fom the hair to makeup to dress. perfect!

35. kiwi November 14, 2012 at 06:36 #

She looks lovely.. but the dress is a tad mature for her…I do not like her nail paint and the rings she wore.. they do not work with this dress

36. Chanel November 14, 2012 at 09:59 #

I love the dress and hair color, even though it was a bit shocking! But! Her makeup is way too mature for her, it looks like she’s trying to hard :( Otherwise, top notch and a great change! :D

37. corinne November 14, 2012 at 23:17 #

I don’t like the hair, but she still looks really pretty. :)

38. Parvati November 15, 2012 at 18:59 #

The dress is gorgeous, but I don’t like the hair, I prefer her as a blonde. Plus, her posing looks really uncomfortable.