Cate Blanchett In Givenchy – Gotham Magazine Party

Cate Blanchett attended the Gotham Magazine party at The London Hotel in New York City last night to celebrate her cover.

Even though I’m still recovering from her first Givenchy Resort 2013 look from earlier in the week, the actress selected her second look from said collection for this event.

Once again I’m not excited about this look.

Cate has always has a good relationship with Givenchy, but maybe she should consider going on a break because this collection is not doing her any favours.

The black-and-white blouse would’ve looked great with a simple black pencil skirt or cropped pants, because I really dislike the printed pencil skirt.

Then factor in those Roger Vivier ‘Cloud’ black lace-up open-toe booties once again, plus the black-and-orange Givenchy woven clutch and we have yet another overly fussy look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kerry Washington In Sportmax - Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Kerry Washington In Sportmax – Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Susan Sarandon In Diane von Furstenberg - ‘The Campaign’ New York Screening

Susan Sarandon In Diane von Furstenberg – ‘The Campaign’ New York Screening

27 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Givenchy – Gotham Magazine Party

1. june July 26, 2012 at 10:36 #

i actually like the look, but the shoes are awful with this.

• Tania July 26, 2012 at 21:48 #

• Azur July 27, 2012 at 02:20 #

Agree

2. Alina July 26, 2012 at 10:56 #

She’s not even close to her potential, but this is the best she has looked all week.

• Christine July 26, 2012 at 13:35 #

I agree. I miss the her golden Cate the great days.

3. CreoleLady July 26, 2012 at 10:57 #

She’s reminding me of Julianne Moore in Lanvin and that is not a good thing. Stumpifying shoes and fussy pieces really detract. And it’s not like Cate Blanchett can’t pull off difficult looks. Disappointing — again.

• Nat39 July 26, 2012 at 18:24 #

Somehow made me think of Julianne Moore in Lanvin too, not a good thing indeed. Fussy, awkward, stumpifying, another disappointment.

4. The Very Simon G July 26, 2012 at 11:02 #

I like the shirt and skirt as separates, not together. She looks good, but agree, wear each separately.

5. Martin July 26, 2012 at 11:02 #

Agree. Whilst this is better than her first Givenchy ensemble, it still doesn’t quite mesh. Cate has always had an eye for the eccentric and this Givenchy collection certainly fits the bill, heavy as it is with mixed prints and the like.

However, she needs to just pull it back a bit. The skirt isn’t as much of a problem for me, but those shoes are outfit killers – particularly when a skirt falls at or below the knew. Memo to Cate: Eccentric doesn’t necessarily need to mean fussy and overly busy.

6. Hannah July 26, 2012 at 11:20 #

I love Cate, but I am begining to worry about what she will wear next, which is so unusual because she is (or was) one of if nto the best dressed celebrity on teh red carpet. I love her in Givenchy, but come to think of it I love her in Givenchy gowns, as opposed to more casual pieces. I hope she wears some Armani soon, because her Armani moments are magical.
    I’m hoping her style picks back up because this year is nothing in comparison to how amazing she was last year, and I have been waiting for her Hobbit press tour for about a year.

7. vcb July 26, 2012 at 11:43 #

What a mess.

8. Yeliz July 26, 2012 at 11:48 #

Why is she wearing those awful shoes again?

9. Ramsay July 26, 2012 at 12:38 #

I actually like this Givenchy look – not the shoes – there is an element of elegance and eccentricity that I enjoy – it fits the bill much better than the first Givenchy look

10. dee July 26, 2012 at 13:54 #

I agree with you FC. This collection is not doiong her any favors or maybe she is picking the wrong pieces from it. Those shoes are atrocious. Cate is one my favorites on the red carprt but lately she has been looking less than perfect.

11. Luis July 26, 2012 at 14:20 #

I adore both Givenchy looks. Did you see the back of the other dress?! It’s beautiful.

12. Megs222 July 26, 2012 at 15:28 #

I really like the skirt, but I find the shirt and shoes to be just awful. The shoes cut her legs off, especially considering the length of the skirt.

13. Anj July 26, 2012 at 15:39 #

I love the outfit, but the shoes are too heavy and bring the outfit down. Not too fond of the bag either.
    I think she tends to have awesome looks when she dresses in formal wear or menswear. That’s where she shines and what I love her for.

14. veronica July 26, 2012 at 16:02 #

I love it….it’s so great and exactly what is happening in fashion now. She looks fantastic!

• tiffany July 26, 2012 at 21:05 #

+ 1 – she looks great

15. Eliza July 26, 2012 at 16:33 #

Love it!

16. Marybeth July 26, 2012 at 17:27 #

I’m not crazy about the pieces individually but together? I don’t think so.
    I do think Cate could have looked fantastic in that blouse if she had teamed it with a black skirt and ditched the high-top shoes. As it is, she looks only so-so.

17. Jones19 July 26, 2012 at 18:25 #

The top and skirt are both beautiful but just don’t go together…eww

18. amparo July 26, 2012 at 22:26 #

I have to recognize that she is bold, even if I don’t like this dress. It is so confusing.

19. jane July 26, 2012 at 22:27 #

I love this look! she looks like an awesome cowgirl

20. Emi July 27, 2012 at 06:36 #

Let’s be honest. This collection hardly does any favours to anyone, in my opinion. And I’m a big fan of Tisci, he’s a great designer.

21. Amy July 27, 2012 at 20:16 #

the look isn’t great and it’s not just the styling it’s the dress itself that is underwhelming

22. Karen Uttley August 23, 2012 at 13:27 #

This is so un-flattering. For a woman with a fantastic body, she looks quite dumpy. I would stick to simple/classic