2012 Best Of Cannes Film Festival

After 12 days of eye candy, Cannes Film Festival has sadly come to an end.

We had several hits, a few misses and a big disappointment.

Eva Longoria lived up to her ‘Eva the Diva’ tag which we gave her back in 2009. She may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but she lights up the Cannes red carpet like no other.

As I have listed my favourites day by day, I have just listed my top 3 from the event above.

2012 Cannes Film Festival Most Worn Designer – Roberto Cavalli
Roberto Cavalli outfitted the most ladies again this year. His special one-off pieces and stunning gowns from the archives seem to flourish during Cannes. It seems that they just belong on the Palais des Festivals.

Cannes Brand Ambassador – Kylie Minogue for Emilio Pucci
Kylie has been a long-time fan of Peter Dundas’ sexy Pucci dresses, so it was no surprise that she wore several of his pieces during Cannes.

Queen of Cannes 2012 – Diane Kruger
This was a no-brainer. I could have written this before the festival. As many of you said, we ran out of superlatives to describe how much we were in awe of how amazing Diane Kruger was for during Cannes Film Festival by Day 4. She started in couture and ended in couture; the only thing missing at the closing ceremony was her crown. The organisers will have a tough job finding someone to succeed her next year.

Honorable Mention – Freida Pinto
I wasn’t expecting anything from Freida Pinto. Be honest, you weren’t either. Even with her shakey shoe start, Freida dazzled on the red carpet in Atelier Versace, Ferragamo and Michael Angel.

Couturier of Cannes Film Festival 2011 – Atelier Versace
My personal highlight of Cannes 2012 was crossing two Atelier Versace gowns off my wish list. Jane Fonda, Freida Pinto, Jada Pinkett Smith, Milla Jovovich, Rose McGowan and Reese Witherspoon all donned Dontella’s designs. She started dressing a 74-year-old beauty and ended with a stunning maternity gown proving she knows how to dress every woman for every occasion.

Credit: FameFlynet & Getty

51 thoughts on “2012 Best Of Cannes Film Festival

1. Nat39

Diane in gold V.Westwood was my fave of the event, stunning silhouette and most flawless presentation -winning combo.

2. Yeliz

Thanks for the post FC, glad to see who was your top 3.
    I agree on everything you wrote about Diane. I’m curious if they will be any jury member to succeed Diane regarding red carpet.
    And yes, I wasn’t expecting anything from Freida either but she really surprised me. I’m glad she attended the festival and looked fabulous.

3. Foteini-Anna

I think Diane Kruger has lost too much weight that shows off to her face and arms badly.And it’s a shame because she really rocks it with clothes.I don’t like Kylie’s style either,but I trully admire Cheryl Cole, Freida Pinto and Reese Witherspoon both for their great choices in clothes and hair.

4. love

Loved every moment of this festival! People get so anxious and excited for Oscar fashion but I will be looking forward to Cannes more!

5. DorianGray

I love Donatella as much ad I admire your blog FC.
    Congratulations ’cause you covered Cannes 2012 at your best.

6. la kate

agree with everything except Freida Pinto. She looked horrible most of the time, one of worst-dressed

7. Hannah

Loved all the coverage, it was a truly great few days. My personal favourite were Tilda & Reese in the stunning Atelier Versace.
    Aso, with the comment on Diane:” The organisers will have a tough job finding someone to succeed her next year”, just a heads-up organisers, the only, and I mean only, answer to this dilemma is Cate Blanchett (*starts praying”).

1. EmmaWoodhouse

OMG OMG I want Cate Blanchett on the board next year too! That would be awesome. But there would be NO ONE who could top her :D

1. Sea

Totally agree. Thx FC for your hard work! And I echo that I can’t think of anyone else topping the amazing run Diane Kruger did this year. Almost each of her outfit was memorable and breathtaking.

8. Ioana

*hooray* a big applause & thanks to Fashion Critic, for taking us on this amazing fashion journey! :)
    for two weeks, I’ve been starting my day checking your blog for updates from Cannes. :)

I’m so excited Alexandra Maria Lara was on your top 3. :) She was my 2nd favorite. the winning look, for me, was Diane Kruger in Giambattista Valli. I have a little obsession with that goddess gown…

9. Charlotte

Thank you so much for your great coverage! I used to follow Cannes for the Palme d’Or, but this year I was more excited to follow your blog :-)

10. Morgane

It’s such a pleasure to read your post! I’m sadder about it than the end of the festival! Thanks for your posts :)

11. Tracey

Wow I would have guessed Elie Saab was the most worn.

Such a pleasure to check your site each day, but especially during Cannes! Thank you!

12. Jones19

I didn’t think my girl Diane could impress me more but she surpassed all of my expectations. Love her!
    Thank you for the amazing coverage FC!

13. TL

Thank you so much FC for a terrific coverage of the 12 days Cannes film festival. You are awesome! I really enjoy all the magnificent and exciting fashion moment you showed us. I had so much fun following your post everyday. ^^

14. Marybeth

A great wrap-up!
    Diane was clearly the Queen, and Freida truly deserves the Maid-of-Honor prize.

I would like to nominate Nicole Kidman for a “redemption” or “come-back” award, though. I haven’t seen her put together so many good looks in years.
    That was a fun surprise.

Can’t wait for next year! :D

1. Katharine

Agree on Nicole Kidman’s red carpet redemption : that dusty rose Lanvin was the gorgeous standout for me, but loved that there was a variety of looks that reminded us that here is a world-class movie star.

15. Beta

thanks again FC for the exceptional coverage :)
    have had a great time looking at the beautiful gowns!

16. Agathe

Oh, I would have loved to see Tilda in your round-up, she looked really good and original (by that I mean sequin-free) !
    I’d like to send a message to Freida Pinto if she reads us: Please buy a bra. Thank you.
    Now I’ll start praying on Hannah’s suggestion: CATE in CANNES for 2013!!!

Thanks for an amazing week, FC! I hope you’ll get to cover Cannes from the Red Carpet next year!

1. Minelli

Why should Freida buy a bra?? I think she should get better shoes. But she looked lovely overall.

17. Neli

I LOVE that post!
    Love Cannes. More than Oscar.
    Thank you FC! Fantastic job.
    And God save Diane! LOL

18. EmmaWoodhouse

Great job again, FC, thanks for everything.
    I love this detailed post :) So glad to see your top 3!
    My top ten were:
    1. Fan Bing Bing (Elie Saab, with the cape)
    2/2. Diane Kruger in V. Westwood and G. Valli
    4. Alexandra Maria Lara in Elie Saab
    5. Berenice Bejo (Giambattista Valli)
    6. Eva Herzigova (Dolce & Gabbana)
    7. Diane Kruger (Nina Ricci)
    Marion Cotillard (Christian Dior)

Diane Kruger (Christian Dior)
    Berenice Bejo (Louis Vuitton)
    Aishwarya Rai (Elie Saab)
    Kirsten Dunst (Dolce & Gabbana)
    Anne Consigny (Alexis Mabille gown)
    Jessica Chastain (Giorgio Armani/Gucci)
    Naomi Watts (Marchesa)

1. EmmaWoodhouse

Oops, I pressed submit too soon.
      8. Anne Consigny (Alexis Mabille gown)
      9. Berenice Bejo (Louis Vuitton)
      10. Diane Kruger (Christian Dior)

and the other five were runners-up :)

Aishwarya Rai (Elie Saab)
      Kirsten Dunst (Dolce & Gabbana)
      Jessica Chastain (Giorgio Armani/Gucci)
      Naomi Watts (Marchesa)

1. EmmaWoodhouse

Plus Fan Bing Bing in Valentino…LOL I PROMISE I’m done commenting on this now! :D

19. Christine

Awesome coverage, FC!!!

A great end to the 2012 Cannes. I couldn’t more with the Queen of Cannes: Diana Kruger

“The organisers will have a tough job finding someone to succeed her next year.”

ITA

20. Tina

Wonderul coverage, FC! Really enjoyed all your posts. Hope you’re finally able to take a break!

I absolutely loved all the Versace gowns on display at Cannes. They were elegant and unique – couture at its best in my opinion.

21. Anna

Thank you FC for a fabulous 12 day streak of amazingness!!! It was such a treat to be able to refresh your site throughout the day to see continual updates. Thank you for working tirelessly in providing Cannes coverage as well as the content on your site for that matter. One of the best Cannes yet!

22. Emilee

I truely appreciate all the hard work you’ve put into covering Cannes, I’ve rushed to the computer each day to see what you’ve posted.
    Thanks FC

23. manja

First of all THANK you for the great job,I really enjoyed coming to your post every morning(1st thing I do when I come to work with my coffee).As always you are doing amazing job.
    As to my fav Diana K is by far the best and a true queen of Cannes.

24. Alina

FC, I have to thank you for the beautiful coverage.

You’re one of the hardest-working people I know.

25. LG

Thank you FC for such an amazing job with the coverage of Cannes! What I love most about your blog is how you present your views in a respectful, classy way!

26. diksha

I wonder how come you did not update about Aishwarya’s traditional wear(Jani-Sandeep Khosla sari)on her first day at Cannes and Sonam Kapoor in her red Dolce and Gabbana off shoulder dress at the official dinner.

27. taksi

I though Kruger was rather disappointing, a bit too safe. Pinto was rather surprising, she didn’t always get everything right but, overall, the looks were more diverse and vibrant.

28. mm

I am running out of superlatives for your coverage. :)

It was a wonderful run, I love diane kruger the most.