After 11 days, Sonam Kapoor finally took to the red carpet at Cannes Film Festival for the closing ceremony and the ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ premiere this evening in her ambassador role for L’Oreal.

I have to say I’m a tad disappointed by her in this Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2012 gown, as it is on my Pinterest wish list pinboard for Cate Blanchett.

Sonam doesn’t quite have enough presence to pull off this dark, mysterious tulle embroidered gown for me. Especially when paired with simple black pumps.

Where’s the excitement? Where is the story? Where is the danger?

Even with the red pout, it just falls a bit flat and lacks intrigue for me.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Diane Kruger In Christian Dior Couture - ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony

Diane Kruger In Christian Dior Couture – ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony

31 Responses to Sonam Kapoor In Alexander McQueen – ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony

1. A. May 27, 2012 at 18:26 #

I have to agree with you :( I was expecting something l’or electric in terms of makeup and she had told a news channel, that she was going to wear something colorful. This is anything but colorful. But there is an all india trend going on on twitter. it’s called BeautifulSonamInCannes … so I guess her fans are happy just seeing a glimpse of her.

2. anu May 27, 2012 at 18:28 #

me tooo :( im depressed now as i was waiting for her for sooo long!
    no drama at all..
    wish she would just stick to her style and personality rather than trying to be someone else!

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2012 at 20:08 #

it does feel like she is trying to be someone else which is sad because she is so lovely and could’ve really made an impact on this red carpet

3. Yeliz May 27, 2012 at 18:30 #

ALthough I love Sonam, I agree that she can’t pull it off.
    When I first saw this gown I thought about the person who would wear it, that it would be a major wow moment for me but unfortunately it’s not.

4. Aria May 27, 2012 at 18:32 #

I have to say, I hate when makeup is caked in with such a heavy hand that it completely changes the contours of a woman’s face. Sonam’s makeup in this case is the perfect example of what I am talking about.

The excessive bright red lipstick used to shape her thin lips into a pout is a bit too much and makes this already dramatic look seem costumey. If only she had the confidence to rock a less fuller-lipped scarlet pout, this would have been vastly improved for me.

5. Ken May 27, 2012 at 18:55 #

She looks awful. I agree, she doesn’t have the presence to carry it off. Someone like Sarah Jessica Parker or Aishwarya Rai Bachchan would have rocked it.

6. Ela May 27, 2012 at 19:18 #

Like the model, wish she had scrapped back the hair, lost the earrings and had gone for haughty instead of demure.

7. A. May 27, 2012 at 19:22 #

but she does look beautiful

8. nicole May 27, 2012 at 19:37 #

its really a case of a girl thinking that by wearing a mcqueen 2012 it would give her an automatic pass but she doesn’t pull it off at all and you can be the biggest movie star in the most expensive couture but the presence makes or breaks it. too bad cause she has potential.

9. Christine May 27, 2012 at 19:52 #

She does not rock this dress well. I am completely underwhelmed.

10. Mindy May 27, 2012 at 20:20 #

I agree that she is not pulling this look off at all. I saw some closeups of her makeup too, and even that isn’t working for her. However, Sonam has always had a habit of wearing designer brands regardless of whether they work for her or not, and then expecting everyone to love her “style”.

11. Zineb May 27, 2012 at 20:30 #

The gown is very interesting in itself but deserved but she doesn’t wear it well. Florence Welsh or Cate Blanchette would’ve made it work or even Rooney Mara.
    Um.. FC, there was no BDOTW poll, is it ok?
    And I guess now you can finally see daylight :D

• Fashion Critic May 27, 2012 at 21:13 #

I was waiting for today’s looks otherwise Cannes posts in next week poll would have looked silly.

12. Emi May 27, 2012 at 20:31 #

I love A. McQueen, and I think that two kind of women can pull it off: ethereal and gothic, for example Cate Blanchett and Eva Green. She’s neither ethereal nor gothic, and the make up and hair didn’t help.

13. Amy May 27, 2012 at 20:51 #

I agree with everyone this is not her best look.

14. From Russia With Love May 27, 2012 at 21:18 #

The lining is horrible. Why would u wear such a daring look and destroy it with lining? Sigh.

15. fromchi-town May 27, 2012 at 22:04 #

Oh honey, no! What was she thinking, she cannot carry off this dress. The make up is bad as well. I think the pressure to be different and edgy got to her. She shud stick to who she is.

16. Nat39 May 27, 2012 at 22:18 #

Yep, she makes it look dowdy.

17. Bec May 27, 2012 at 22:37 #

*braces for Sonam fangirls to unleash*

18. EmmaWoodhouse May 27, 2012 at 22:43 #

The dress is certainly very difficult to pull off. I don’t really like it, but I definitely feel like some Queen Cate magic would have me screaming for BDOTY! With a look such as this, one has to wear it with CONVICTION. Sonam is beautiful, but this is not her style and therefore I feel that that conviction/commitment is likewise not present.

19. S May 27, 2012 at 22:44 #

I think the hair kinda brings her down. I wish she went with something more edgy..like the model.

20. Shaina May 27, 2012 at 23:06 #

The lining should have been a little more sheer or something. It is very harsh. She isn’t working this look at all, the gown is wearing her for sure. Very disappointing.

Side note: Am I the only one who thinks this dress would be even more amazing without the sleeves?

21. Jones19 May 27, 2012 at 23:15 #

I’m so disappointed because on the right person this could have been a BDOTY gown.

22. nazz May 27, 2012 at 23:19 #

Wow! She’s just got it all wrong.

23. Emily May 27, 2012 at 23:36 #

a beautiful dress but not worn by the right person, needs to attitude there. I am trying to picture Coco Rocha in that, that might work!

24. delhi_fashionista May 28, 2012 at 09:26 #

First and foremost , i fail to understand what were the make-up artists thinking while doing her up ???
    secondly , i have not understood till date that why does sonam botch up at international events like these ???

PLEASE sonam….you look amazing at all events in India… [ only a few which you upload here FC :-( :-( ] …. We want THE REAL sonam kapoor….the uber stylish one back….fingers crossed

25. Alina May 28, 2012 at 12:41 #

This is sad – she does so well at other events and she fails at Cannes.

26. anu May 28, 2012 at 16:29 #

She managed to scare me with dat gown…Plus her makeup makes her look lifeless

27. S May 28, 2012 at 20:30 #

Sonam also attended the Gucci Vanity Fair Dinner and the Winners Dinner at Cannes Festival . Check her looks out FC :).

28. Dhppy May 29, 2012 at 01:04 #

This dress looks so busy and confused. Like different parts of it are going off to different events. The biggest problem, however, is the same one that befell Beyonce at The Met Gala: nude is not nude on every skin color. The nude underskirt, which works so well for the model, clearly doesn’t carry over to Kapoor’s skin tone. It’s jarring and disastrous.

29. Tehi May 31, 2012 at 08:40 #

Your choice of Cate Blanchett for this gown is absolutely bang-on!