19.05.12 Premiere

Bérénice Béjo In Prada – ‘Lawless’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Berenice Bejo attended the ‘Lawless’ premiere during the 2012 Cannes Film Festival at the Palais des Festivals this evening.

This was her first appearance on the red carpet at the festival since she opened the event on Wednesday.

She went from the sublime to the ridiculous wearing a Prada Spring 2012 custom gown.

The mishmash of runway pieces to create this gown is comical.

“Let’s stick the patterned bodice of the bodysuit with the pleated two-tone skirt and we have a winning Cannes look.”

No Miuccia, no.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

2013 CMT Music Awards

2013 CMT Music Awards

Mia Wasikowska In J. Mendel - 'Lawless' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Mia Wasikowska In J. Mendel – ‘Lawless’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

62 Responses to Bérénice Béjo In Prada – ‘Lawless’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Rebecca Z May 19, 2012 at 18:58 #

I would love this if the skirt were all the coral color. And if she pulled it up a little and it wasn’t too long…

• Alina May 20, 2012 at 06:26 #

2. A. May 19, 2012 at 18:59 #

L.O.L. I feel bad for her because her hair and makeup is perfect. WHY DID SHE CHOOSE THAT! She has a thing for customized gowns doesn’t she? Remember her mint green Elie Saab for the Academy awards. Didnt quite like that as well

3. Luis May 19, 2012 at 19:01 #

I have to disagree. I like the dress, but the makeup and hair is pretty lame…

• Lily May 19, 2012 at 19:03 #

• lucia May 20, 2012 at 11:51 #

+1 I love the colours and interesting bodice but definitely think the skirt is too long!

• chryssa May 19, 2012 at 19:10 #

• ellie. May 19, 2012 at 19:11 #

it is really beautiful I think, but the bodice is ill fitted so it doesn’t look right, and yes the hair and make-up aren’t up the scratch, who has beach waves at Cannes?

• Anna May 19, 2012 at 19:27 #

I agree.

• pepe May 19, 2012 at 19:19 #

-3 HIDEOUS DRESS

4. A. May 19, 2012 at 19:01 #

I would have never been able to ID that. You have a gift FC. Seriously!

• Christine May 19, 2012 at 22:49 #

LMAO. This poor women’s styling. Where to begin..Oh my!

5. From Russia With Love May 19, 2012 at 19:02 #

I actually love it. Sigh.

6. Serena May 19, 2012 at 19:02 #

I feel bad now, because I like the dress per se. It looks too small for her though, it sits way too low on her chest.

7. M.B May 19, 2012 at 19:05 #

I strongly disagree with you on this one…

I am definitely not a fan of Bérénice’s red carpet game as she always fails to impress – here, her hair and make-up are a miss yet again – but I really like the dress that she surprisingly pulls off for such a “sharp” look.

And for seeing it “in motion” on “Le Grand Journal” it did it even more justice.

• e May 19, 2012 at 19:53 #

Ditto.
      I just saw her on LGJ and she looked quite amazing, I really like the bodice.

• slashdot May 19, 2012 at 20:59 #

I have to say that I really liked it! Other than the fit on the bust, as it sits too low, she looks youthful, relaxed and quite gorgeous!

8. Yeliz May 19, 2012 at 19:06 #

There are only two things that I don’t like about this look. The first one is the belt, it’s totally unnecessary. And my second problem is, that it’s sitting a tad too low.
    Apart from that, I think this look is ok and definitely not her worst look.

• admmgz May 20, 2012 at 15:27 #

• Foteini P. May 21, 2012 at 23:07 #

9. Shaina May 19, 2012 at 19:08 #

WHAT?!
    I think this look is gorgeous!!

• Fashion Critic May 19, 2012 at 19:13 #

Yes. I HATE it and I never use that word

• Cassandra May 20, 2012 at 15:22 #

10. PaulyneZI May 19, 2012 at 19:16 #

I have to disagree with you … I think she is gorgeous !

11. Ritika May 19, 2012 at 19:17 #

I really like the bodice, could have been used to create a much better gown.

12. Linda May 19, 2012 at 19:27 #

I enjoyed reading your comments on this dress. I like how you’re not afraid to tell it like it is, even when the culprit is a big name designer like Prada.
    I’m shocked that this gown was custom made for Berenice to wear to Cannes due to the very poor fit, the garish colour and pattern combination and the childish applique flowers. From the waist up it looks like she’s in a bathing suit at the beach.

13. Mrs. A May 19, 2012 at 19:33 #

Hands down. That has got to be the ugliest dress that I have ever seen!

14. anne May 19, 2012 at 19:36 #

Well this is sad. So many beautiful gowns to choose from why would you wear this? Apart from the bodice the little roses(random much?) and the beading or whatever those details are…it’s just too much going on in one dress. Plus like others have pointed the hair and make-up are dissapointing.
    I know some people here are tired of Elie Saab dresses on the red carpet but there’s a reason Fan Bingbing always wins BDOTW, you can’t go wrong with those classic designs.

15. Ninja May 19, 2012 at 19:42 #

hah! sabotage? I kid, I kid. This is however awful.

16. Francois B May 19, 2012 at 19:45 #

Personnally I love it! It’s colorful, unusual :) Her hair & makeup is perfect ♥

• Angela May 19, 2012 at 21:08 #

Francois, you read my mind! I am so tired of these humdrum dresses, love this dress!

• pipsqueak May 20, 2012 at 02:01 #

I love it, too. It was an unusual choice and really suited her spirit. She’s not the coquettish type. The colors and hair matched her warmth.

17. Zineb May 19, 2012 at 20:02 #

I was really counting on Berenice for some gorgeous Elie Saab gowns. Too bad for me…

18. dressaddict May 19, 2012 at 20:12 #

I love it! She looks free, enjoying her outfit, with the wind in her hair, fresh and happy. I like this new Berenice, as I thought the other appearences were kind of making her look older than she is.

19. Vera May 19, 2012 at 20:19 #

The dress just has nothing to hang on; not a Miuccia’s fault – ask the nature.

20. Olive May 19, 2012 at 20:48 #

I adore this look, she looks so fresh and cute.

• Laura May 20, 2012 at 12:39 #

+ 1

21. Hannah May 19, 2012 at 21:02 #

IT is just way too busy up top. Had they just gone for the look that the skirt is derived from, put a whoel ton fo chopard on her & gone for a hair look other than ‘beacy waves’, it would have been a gorgeous, original look, especially since she can be so elegant. I’m actualyl pretty shocked by how many people adore it. Maybe ont he right person at the met gala, but then again I realy hate the lace, it looks like it’s mouly.

22. Leeann May 19, 2012 at 21:03 #

I own the pink and green longer version of the coat. This dress has left me so traumatized that I would return it I could. That is one hideous combination –the sum is definitely worst than the parts.

23. Riley May 19, 2012 at 21:04 #

Most of Miuccia Prada’s creations are borderline clownish. It’s either brilliant or an epic fail.

I personally like but not love the gown. I see what the designer and Berenice found attractive about it, but yes, it’s not perfection and it sits too low on Berenice.

24. Jeremy May 19, 2012 at 21:06 #

I would kill to see that two-tone pleated dress made into full length gown.

25. EmmaWoodhouse May 19, 2012 at 21:10 #

The bodice is too gimmicky. I do like the coral and aqua of the skirt, but not as designed. It wouldn’t be a TERRIBLE look, though, if she’d only pulled it UP! As it is it looks bad.

26. Tarfah May 19, 2012 at 22:04 #

IT’S A GORGEOOOOUUUS LOOK. Despite for the hair and makeup :\ *shame*

27. Elle May 19, 2012 at 23:30 #

I actually don’t mind this dress at all – I have seen the bodice embroidery in real life and it is GORGEOUS.

The thing that really BUGS me about this look however, is that it looks as if the twins are only a sneeze away from making an appearance!

28. CreoleLady May 19, 2012 at 23:50 #

OMG, I can’t stop laughing at FC’s description — and at Prada for thinking this was going to work. At the very least, fit the dress to the client. Inexcusable that there would be any fit issues. Doesn’t Prada know basic tailoring?! This is Cannes for heavens sake. I feel sorry for Berenice because this is a designer fail all the way around. As someone said above, hideous.

29. Amy May 20, 2012 at 00:54 #

I don’t think this is a showstopping look but it’s definitely not as bad as you’re stating FC (haha, let’s agree to disagree!). The dress is OK (youthful and original) but the bodice isn’t really fitting and I would have preferred a one-color skirt: coral or aqua not both!!

30. elise May 20, 2012 at 01:31 #

I generally agree with you, but I absolutely adore this dress. Maybe not the hair and make up, but the dress is perfect.

31. bm May 20, 2012 at 01:41 #

I would love this gown if the skirt is only coral. The blue part from this gown is put me off.

32. britta May 20, 2012 at 05:44 #

LOVE.

33. Erika Ch May 20, 2012 at 05:53 #

No Miuccia, no.

LOL. That’s really make me LOL

I thinkcelebs must avoid the brand for a while because I hardly seen good review when someone wearing Prada

34. Jess2 May 20, 2012 at 06:48 #

I actually like the two tone skirt but the top and styling is terrible. I would have loved the coral of the skirt to continue up into a single tone bodice. It is also sitting way too low on her.

35. christine May 20, 2012 at 06:57 #

ugh this lady drives me nuts. her clothes never fit her or sit on her correctly. or maybe its just that the clothes are always wearing her, she seems to be playing dress up. if someone like diane kruger wore this outfit it would be like woah! amazing! but on her it looks a few inches away from revealing her breasts and gives off the vibe that someone threw her in the dress minutes before the red carpet. such a shame.

36. asherlev1 May 20, 2012 at 09:40 #

Lool, I like it! I’m a sucker for a brightly colored dress, and this is definitely it.

37. Leeks May 20, 2012 at 10:25 #

Not a showstopping look, but what a breath of fresh air this dress is. So so tired of looking at glittery embroidered dresses, we have plenty already at the Met Gala and something similar worn by Fan Bing Bing. I adore Miuccia’s works, they’re youthful and unique – this one’s no exception.

38. Laura May 20, 2012 at 12:38 #

I really like this look !

39. oksana May 20, 2012 at 12:44 #

top is borderline ugly
    skirt is good,

prada is always difficult generally because it doesnt meant to be wear by humans imo

40. robbie May 20, 2012 at 19:01 #

love the dress it needs pulled up though.

41. kery May 20, 2012 at 19:24 #

i personaly think that is a GORGEOUS gown from prada..it not like a typical gown we always see through the red carpet thing..it new and fresh..its a great idea and i think its one of a kind gown..perfectly done!!!

42. Katharine May 21, 2012 at 09:05 #

It’s a Frankenstein’s monster mash up of a dress, but kudos to Berenice Bejo for almost pulling it off … it’s an interesting choice, but hopefully her next red carpet outing will be more flattering.

43. médée May 21, 2012 at 13:31 #

Oh, this is bad.

I love the runway dress, and I wish they just turn it into a gown and forget about the printed bodysuit and this belt thingy.

And Bérénice Bejo isn’t making things better with that atrocious make-up and hair.

44. littleflower May 21, 2012 at 16:22 #

OmG, it’s not pretty at all,

45. Nirina May 22, 2012 at 19:14 #

i have to disagree, i think the DRESS IS BEAUTIFUL! her hair could’ve been softer and the make up a bit more clean, lipstick stronger too. but i really like this dress!!