Menu

August 19, 2019

Happy Birthday Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel

Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel, one of the most influential icons of all time, was born on this day, August 19.

As well as the box-cut bouclé jackets, Breton T-shirts, camellia brooches and Chanel No.5, she was also known for wise and witty quotes:

“A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous”

Fashion fades, only style remains the same.

and my favourites;

“Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.”

“The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive.”

To celebrate this day, here is a look a a few of my favourite Chanel looks including Nicole Kidman at the 2004 Academy Awards.

Share yours in the comments.

Keira Knightley – 2012 London premiere of ‘Anna Karenina’
Diane Kruger – 2013 Chanel Little Black Jacket Sao Paulo event
Keira Knightley – 2018 ‘Colette’ Sundance Film Festival Premiere
Sarah Jessica Parker – 2010 Academy Awards
Blake Lively -2014 ‘Mr Turner’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Credit: Getty

Priyanka Chopra Rocks A LB-Feathered-D For Joe Jonas' 30th Birthday Party

Priyanka Chopra Rocks A LB-Feathered-D For Joe Jonas’ 30th Birthday Party

Kirsten Dunst's Khaite Dorothy Dress

Kirsten Dunst’s Khaite Dorothy Dress

16 Responses to Happy Birthday Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel

1. Guest August 21, 2019 at 9:45 pm #

I remember seeing this green coat on Lily Allen a looong time ago. I still want the coat!

2. Guest August 21, 2019 at 2:44 am #

Diane’s look is among my favorites of all time. It’s not a particularly appealing dress on its own, but somehow she makes it look immaculate.

3. Jess Mara August 21, 2019 at 1:09 am #

Some wonderful looks over the years but my favorites

Blake Lively at the MET 2011 https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2019/05/05/blake-livelys-met-gala-looks-from-2008-to-2018/
    and even JLo at the Oscars 2001.

4. naya_ August 20, 2019 at 9:43 am #

One of my personal favorites, was this one
    Poppy looked amazing

5. Phee phee August 20, 2019 at 3:42 am #

I love Nicoles dress. It was gorgeous. She looked outstanding.
    I will prob dislike intensely almost anything Kiera wears. I think she wears/shows clothes horribly.
    Diane Kruger looks great.
    I would have to go back over the Chanel archive to see whats my faves.

6. Guest August 19, 2019 at 9:33 pm #

Happy Birthday Miss Coco!!!

7. Guest August 19, 2019 at 5:39 pm #

I am glad you wrote a post on Coco Chanel as I always though you did not like at all Chanel. The post are most of the time negative.
    I think it is an amazing brand that goes so good with her famous sentence “ a girl should be 2 things: classy and fabulous”

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards August 20, 2019 at 11:06 pm #

My only main issue that at times it feels like it ‘s a bit repetitive.

But once it hits the red carpet, people like Tilda and Keira bring the pieces to life.

8. Guest August 19, 2019 at 5:29 pm #

Sigh…Nicole was so beautiful. Shame what she’s done to her face

9. Guest August 19, 2019 at 5:12 pm #

I really loved SJP’s and Kiera Knightley Anna Karenina Chanel looks. This is my favorite Chanel look: https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2015/02/23/julianne-moore-chanel-2015-oscars/

• Guest August 19, 2019 at 5:33 pm #

I like this one too.

• Guest August 19, 2019 at 6:20 pm #

Beautiful

10. Guest August 19, 2019 at 3:34 pm #

Love this post
    Keira is the ultimate Chanel girl

11. Guest August 19, 2019 at 3:02 pm #

The 2.55 bag, ♥️. I also loved Lady Gaga opening Barney’s ‘Gaga workshop’.

12. CharlotteLG August 19, 2019 at 2:09 pm #

I’m not a huge fan of Chanel looks.
    Yet I remember the TV ad, directed by Baz Luhramm, with Nicole Kidman, the pink feathers dress was beautiful.