Menu

25.02.19

Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen – 2019 Oscars

Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen - 2019 Oscars

Old Hollywood elegance came roaring back in the vision of Lady Gaga at the 2019 Oscars on Sunday (February 24) in Hollywood, California, which is nothing short of apropos considering her nomination for ‘A Star Is Born.’

This black Alexander McQueen gown was a masterpiece, between the exaggerated sculpt of the hips to the skirt’s ballgown flourish.

Naturally, the opera gloves added all the more drama. But, not as much as those Tiffany & Co. jewels including the mega Tiffany Diamond itself that’s only been worn three times at major award ceremonies. Coincidentally, Audrey Hepburn also wore it for her Breakfast at Tiffany’s publicity photos in 1961.

So, it’s not too far of a stretch to consider that Audrey’s style clearly inspired Lady Gaga’s look, too.

I have a feeling that some may raise objection to the overly fixed nature of her coiffed updo, but it was in keeping with the vintage aesthetic.

Credit: Getty

, , ,

Olivia Colman In Prada - 2019 Oscars

Olivia Colman In Prada – 2019 Oscars

Emma Stone In Louis Vuitton - 2019 Oscars

Emma Stone In Louis Vuitton – 2019 Oscars

35 Responses to Lady Gaga In Alexander McQueen – 2019 Oscars

1. kane February 26, 2019 at 11:37 pm #

All just way too harsh. Like eyeliner plonked on your lid and laid on way too thick.

2. Silvia February 26, 2019 at 7:10 pm #

Remember when Lady Gaga used to be exciting? Now she’s just another Hollywood starlet with face fillers. And what is going on with her hair??

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2019 at 6:25 am #

Yeah. I remember. So let down by this awards season run

3. Hailey February 25, 2019 at 11:40 pm #

I’m really disappointed by this. She looks beautiful and elegant, but I wish she went for a bold color and more dramatic gown to stand out more.

4. Fran February 25, 2019 at 4:36 pm #

I’m in the minority but…I really don’t like the necklace.

5. meme February 25, 2019 at 3:02 pm #

Fancy funeral attire. Hate her hair. It has to be fake. It looks fake.

6. Luna February 25, 2019 at 2:57 pm #

Her second looks was much better. This one is ok, if a bit safe for her. I’ll call it a more classic look and leave it at that. Her white hair and tan constrast was killing me in most photos. It looked like she had been cleaning chimney’s before the award show.

7. Serena February 25, 2019 at 10:56 am #

Have never really been a fan of Lady Gaga’s style, and this only reinforces my feelings. The only thing that looked remotely beautiful was the necklace, and that’s about it.

8. olga February 25, 2019 at 8:44 am #

Maybe this kind of dress was a safe choice, but she looks great in it. I still hate her hair colour though

9. TeaAtTwo February 25, 2019 at 8:06 am #

Tbh she’s had a disappointing awards season. She went Hollywood safe.

• Catherine Kallon February 27, 2019 at 6:26 am #

Agreed. Expected SO much more from her

10. Renne February 25, 2019 at 8:04 am #

She wore this style of dresses a million times already!

Should could have picked a dress that is more creative.

11. James February 25, 2019 at 5:22 am #

She went for a Timeless look, this look, the shape, the necklace everything is forever iconic!

12. Aminet February 25, 2019 at 2:47 am #

It’s OK, but I wish she wore this instead:

13. Aminet February 25, 2019 at 2:41 am #

She looks OK, but I wish she wore this instead:

14. JHH February 25, 2019 at 2:35 am #

The jewelry is amazing. There is old Hollywood and then there is looking old and this hair and makeup
    looks old. The dress is okay.

15. Adrian February 25, 2019 at 2:28 am #

Looks like a ton of thought and calculation. That is, boring.

16. Ksenia Bradner February 25, 2019 at 2:04 am #

Gaga was never going to be interesting at the Oscars. She is too desperate now for Oscar and to be approved by the acting side of Hollywood to be original.

Her award season has bummed me out. Gaga, your performance was great, you don’t need to bend over to prove you are worthy. You are worthy. Stop the people-pleasing.

• MG February 25, 2019 at 2:21 pm #

17. Jas February 25, 2019 at 1:55 am #

WOW LOOK AT THAT NECKLACE
    Gaga looks incredible – the fit and construction of the dress is immaculate. I love that she keeps fashion interesting.

18. Stephanie February 25, 2019 at 1:52 am #

Need a better make-up
    Overall, this is beyond mediocre. A rather diappointed end to this award season. Not even in the superior league for her looks from this award season

19. phee February 25, 2019 at 1:50 am #

So ageing. From the silver/white matronly hair to the heiress old necklace to the stiff dress.
    I might like the idea of the dress but its just all so matronly.

20. Christine February 25, 2019 at 1:46 am #

This is so aging, but I understand why she wanted to go the Old Hollywood look.

I am missing the old spark she had once.

21. Fee February 25, 2019 at 1:46 am #

I was really hoping Gaga would resurrect this red carpet, but she just looks like she is going to its funeral.

A half interesting black dress and some incredibly expensive jewels has been done a zillion times before. What a wasted opportunity.

22. Isabela February 25, 2019 at 1:44 am #

I love this even more now that i know that Audrey wore the jewelry too

23. Kimma February 25, 2019 at 1:42 am #

While the gown is amazing, the role playing Hollywood Siren through hair and makeup just feels too inauthentic.

24. Lena February 25, 2019 at 1:41 am #

She shut it down! The haters can pack up and leave! If you think about Lady Gaga gave us all types of looks this award season, from super toned down to glamorous, to sexy! She just didn’t bore us at all! And I’m so sad that the a star is born era is coming to an end!

25. Jerusa February 25, 2019 at 1:39 am #

I wish she didn’t wore the gloves :/

26. Jessicamara February 25, 2019 at 1:39 am #

Id like to see it without her hands on the hip padding to see the shape but I like th4e direction she went. In LOVE with the yellow diamond necklace…reminds me of How to loose a Guy in Days – the Isadora!!

27. Ruth February 25, 2019 at 1:37 am #

Somebody has lost her mojo. I preferred her RED cooking gloves she wore some few Oscars ago. This isn’t memorable, too dark.

What’s up with her hair this award season. Every hairstyle has been a mess

28. Caroline February 25, 2019 at 1:37 am #

Why do I feel like she has already done this? It’s a mix of her last Valentino and something she has worn before, Versace? I don’t know but it feels like we’ve already seen this from her. I expected way more. Disappointing.

29. Chris February 25, 2019 at 1:35 am #

LOVE!

30. Vizual Ninja February 25, 2019 at 1:35 am #

I think I may have appreciated this more in another colour, the all black is a bit too heavy. Those jewels are amazing though.

31. AnnaBanana February 25, 2019 at 1:33 am #

I’m soooo disappointed.
    1) Her hair looks like meringue
    2) I feel like I’ve seen this from her 100 times already
    3) her puffy face is really distracting
    4) make-up is a major let-down too

• Alfredo February 25, 2019 at 1:49 am #

She looks perfect. Simple and elegant.