Menu

Michelle Obama In Balenciaga & Balmain – ‘Becoming’ Book Tour

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Michelle Obama In Balenciaga & Balmain - 'Becoming' Book Tour

Another day, another record set.

Michelle Obama’s memoir just became the best-selling Christmas book in the UK, unseating longtime bestseller David Walliams (The Midnight Gang).

The former First Lady is also the first woman to sell the UK’s No. 1 Christmas book since J.K. Rowling in 2008. This is after selling more than 3 million worldwide in its first month in stores.

So why the heavy promotion, you might be wondering. Well, I honestly don’t mind if it means we get an epic fashion moment like this.

While this picture isn’t the best angle of Michelle herself, it showcases those stunning gold Balenciaga thigh-high shimmering metallic boots, which still have me gasping for air.

Do I need other reason to fall in love with Michelle Obama?

No, but she gave me one with this jaw-dropping Balenciaga Spring 2019 look, which sees Mrs O wear a dress for the first time on this promo tour.

Sarah Jessica Parker hosted the event wearing a festive aubergine Iorane dress styled with her own SJP metallic pumps. On any other day this would’ve had my full attention.

Balenciaga Knife Over-The-Knee Bootie

On Tuesday (December 18) Michelle made a guest appearance on ‘The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon’.

Now, if you had told me that Mchelle Obama would wear Balenciaga and Balmain with 24 hours of each other, I would’ve thought you’d gone mad, but that was the reality.

While I wish the major Balenciaga fashion moment happened on prime time television, I adore everything about this Balmain Resort 2019 suit.

Aside from the sparkles and contemporary cut, the look just feels so cool, yet unassuming.

I’ve been very impressed with Michelle’s post-office style, but I wasn’t ready for these levels.

Aquazzara ‘Seduction’ sandals completed this impressive outing.

Aquazzara ‘Seduction’ Sandals

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Get Up To 70% Off In The NET-A-PORTER US Sale

Get Up To 70% Off In The NET-A-PORTER US Sale

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Rita Ora In Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2018 Haute Couture - Out In New York City 'Phoenix'

Rita Ora Has Five Major Fashion Moments In Three Days

37 Responses to Michelle Obama In Balenciaga & Balmain – ‘Becoming’ Book Tour

1. Grazia December 21, 2018 at 5:20 pm #

The yellow dress and boots outfit is one of the worst outfits I have ever seen on anyone. Looks trashy, plus it was uncomfortable to wear based on the way she held it during the event. It also makes her look disproportionately large and bottom heavy. Did she run this by a bunch of sycophants who couldn’t tell her the truth? The Balmain was very good.

• Fiona-Brasil December 22, 2018 at 9:00 am #

2. Sandy December 21, 2018 at 4:44 pm #

I think many shots from the outing with SJP demonstrate she is very uncomfortable in the yellow gown, whether that’s because it’s precarious or she just doesn’t like it. So it’s a fail on that count. Also a fail: to me, it, in combo with those boots, is just so very randomly mishmashed. What makes them go? Thigh high clubbing boots with a satiny wrap robe? No. I however, love the glittery stripes of the suit and I think she is much, much more comfortable in it.

3. Caroline December 21, 2018 at 1:24 pm #

The first one is her worst look ever. I can’t even begin to explain how awful it is. The Balmain is pretty.

4. Leandra December 21, 2018 at 1:13 pm #

The yellow emsamble is wrong at so many levels. It’s something I expect from Beyoncé. Maybe the stylists inadvertently changed their lugages. The 2nd looks is super cute.

5. Amy December 21, 2018 at 10:58 am #

The boots had me gagging. I didn’t not expect to see her wearing them. A for the bold choice even if I am not amazed.
    The second look is flawless

6. Rebecca December 21, 2018 at 10:39 am #

The boots are indeed eye catching, but the yellow dress looks like a sloppy dressing gown.

7. Crystalynne December 21, 2018 at 7:57 am #

The balenciaga look is just wrong on so many levels.

8. lolo1 December 21, 2018 at 5:17 am #

YES!!!! MICHELLE KEEP SLAYING!!!! THAT’S A MODERN FIRST LADY!!!! I LOVE ALL THESE LOOKS!!! VERY BOLD AND UNPREDICTABLE!!! SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE’S HAVING A BALL AFTER THOSE WHITE HOUSE YEARS!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

9. JHH December 21, 2018 at 2:50 am #

oops, posted in the wrong spot.

10. phee December 21, 2018 at 12:43 am #

The first is awful. So unflattering and SO not her.
    The second is classy at least.

11. CreoleLady December 20, 2018 at 10:33 pm #

Why is she holding the dress like that? Love the boldness of the first look but the execution, not so much. She looks great in yellow tho — again, bringing the light. I like the second look better.

12. Maya S. December 20, 2018 at 7:33 pm #

The first look just isn’t working for her. I like the second look.

13. Bente Keydal December 20, 2018 at 7:21 pm #

You are SO right. Made me also fall in love with her even more for wearing those knockout boots. Womanboss if I ever saw one, The sparkling suit is so super cool too.

14. J December 20, 2018 at 7:19 pm #

A ginormous no on the yellow look. The striped outfit looks good.

15. brat December 20, 2018 at 7:15 pm #

Michelle has always taken risks when it comes to fashion, sometimes they don’t pay off.

The yellow dress is possibly her worst outing ever. I saw multiple shots and multiple angles and they are all equally terrible. I will say that it is supremely unflattering to her figure and leave it at that. The boots are rather fabulous but not styled this way.

Her Balenciaga suit is both flattering and fabulous. Cool and unassuming.

• JHH December 20, 2018 at 7:28 pm #

• Helene December 20, 2018 at 9:38 pm #

Absolutly right

• brat December 20, 2018 at 10:38 pm #

I feel like the only person having an epic fashion moment on that stage is SJP, in retrospect. She deserves her own post.

• JHH December 21, 2018 at 1:08 am #

I think so too — it may not be epic but it is better than her usual and pretty darn good.

• Lashae December 20, 2018 at 10:50 pm #

16. justme December 20, 2018 at 7:14 pm #

Objectively speaking, the first look is awful. The dress is unflattering and the boots don’t make sense at a book promo tour. BUT I love it. I love it just because it’s such a “I’m finally out of the White House, let me be great” outfit.

The second one is my favorite from this tour. It’s perfect for her shape.

• meme December 20, 2018 at 7:27 pm #

She wasn’t exactly a prisoner in the White House.

• justme December 20, 2018 at 9:09 pm #

Who said anything about being a prisoner? She was at the receiving end of scrutiny and abuse that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

• meme December 20, 2018 at 9:24 pm #

hmmm, sounds familiar doesn’t it?

• JHH December 21, 2018 at 1:09 am #

• Noemi December 21, 2018 at 1:16 pm #

I don’t love the first look but I agree with you, I feel like she’s having fun with fashion, at the White House an outfit like these, with those OTT boots, wouldn’t have been possible.
      The second outfit is great, that suit is beautiful.

17. JHH December 20, 2018 at 7:00 pm #

No, no, no to the first look. The boots are cool but the dress is not at all flattering. The second is fantastic.

18. Mel December 20, 2018 at 6:56 pm #

Sorry but I find this really tacky, something I would expect from Kim K.
    It is nice seeing Michelle play with her fashion though now that she doesnt have to appease anyone with her choices.

• MW December 20, 2018 at 8:09 pm #

+1 Completely agree, and, as others pointed out, the dress also does her no favours

19. meme December 20, 2018 at 6:56 pm #

I think she looks ridiculous in the yellow dress and glittery boots. Completely ridiculous. The second look is fine.

• Tina K December 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm #

+1 and such an unforgiving fabric for her body type, looks cheap.

• brat December 20, 2018 at 10:35 pm #

I haven’t loved everything she’s ever worn, but I’ve never used that word before today. You’re right, the first look is just ridiculous. I guess as long as she’s having fun.

20. TeaAtTwo December 20, 2018 at 6:54 pm #

OMG I LOVE THIS LOOK

• TeaAtTwo December 21, 2018 at 11:23 am #

I didn’t see the suit – I love both looks. I don’t see unflattering here, she’s just not a size 2.

21. miszzel December 20, 2018 at 6:53 pm #

That dress with those boots looks INCREDIBLE, I love her for having so much courage and imagination in fashion. This picture doesn’t really do her look justice, I agree, but the others were stunning. I really missed her bold moments and this one is just perfect.

22. AnderBoBo December 20, 2018 at 6:47 pm #

Those boots are otherworldly, wow!