Menu

04.12.18

Beyonce Knowles In Atelier Versace, Mary Katrantzou, Balmain & Ashi Studio - Global Citizen Festival Mandela 100

The Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100 was held at FNB Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa on Sunday (December 3) — and Beyonce headlined the event honouring the late Nelson Mandela with her husband, JAY-Z, during a 90-minute performance.

As could be expected, Queen Bey not only slayed the song list but also her slew of custom looks — with some paying direct tribute to Africa.

Making an entrance took on new meaning with this custom-made Atelier Versace second-skin jumpsuit that was bold not only in hue but also in form with its cut-outs and safety-pin accents inspired by the heritage of the iconic Versace safety pin and the new Pre-Fall collection. The matching sunny-yellow fedora and wispy cape-like robe only added to the sultry, dramatic form of this stage-ready look.

I was living for this rainbow moment, with Bey and her dancers rocking the matching Atelier Versace jumpsuits in all the most beautiful, vivid hues — and the matching hats. I’m sure you’re also flashing back to the famous Versace safety-pin gown worn by Elizabeth Hurley in 1994. But, this fresh revival is a revelation.

Wearable art is what this embellished, floral-patchwork bodysuit and balloon-sleeve cape was all about. Indeed, they were bespoke pieces from the queen of patterns herself, Mary Katrantzou, who was inspired by traditional African dress and celebrated the diversity of Africa and female empowerment in this enchanting design.

This whimsical, power look from Balmain had tinges of Egyptian goddess and warrior princess with the feathered, hieroglyphic top. But, it was the high-waist cutoffs that made it just the right, signature fit for this Queen.

This undulating pink ruffled gown by Ashi Studio Spring 2018 Couture was previously worn by Deepika Padukone during the Cannes Film Festival this year. It’s a performance piece, so it doesn’t surprise me that Beyonce brought its magnetic magenta allure and sculptural prowess to the stage. And, you will not find me complaining at seeing it have another glorious moment in the spotlight.

Ashi Studio Spring 2018 Couture

This emerald-green bodysuit-gown hybrid was quite the statement maker with its crystallized effect and exaggerated sleeves. It was a collab between South African designers Quiteria & George with Enhle Mbali Maphumulo — and what a way for Bey to pay homage to the local talent of the country.

As for her Esteban Cortazar design, it may have been mini but it was mighty in the stunning all-over bead work inspired by the region’s traditional beading techniques.

Which was your favourite?

Credit: Trevor Stuurman/Beyonce.com, Ashi Studio & Getty

Julia Roberts In Valentino - Build Series: 'Homecoming'

Julia Roberts In Valentino – Build Series: ‘Homecoming’

Beach Babe or Snow Bunny, It's Time To Plan Your Escape

Beach Babe or Snow Bunny, It’s Time To Plan Your Escape

17 Responses to Beyonce Knowles In Atelier Versace, Mary Katrantzou, Balmain & Ashi Studio – Global Citizen Festival: Mandela 100

1. Triton December 7, 2018 at 8:18 am #

She always goes all out with her performance outfits, I really hope she wins Entertainer of the Year given how many looks she’s nailed on stage.

2. Amy December 5, 2018 at 3:25 pm #

I like it. The Balmain was definitely made for her. She looks dope in it
    The Versace outfit made sense on stage with her dancers.
    I’m glad she switched thngs up because I was bored by her endless stream of leotards

3. TeaAtTwo December 5, 2018 at 12:42 pm #

The yellow Versace is my favourite especially in the shot with the dancers but I am just in awe of shape and thinking ‘how is that real?’

4. phee December 5, 2018 at 5:53 am #

Such a freakin cheese-ball galore.
    ickkkkkyyyyyyyyy

5. justme December 4, 2018 at 6:07 pm #

South Africa clearly inspired her creative team. I love these looks more than I did some of her tour ones.

My easy favorite is the Ashi Studio gown. It is visually more striking and impactful on a smoky dark stage than on a red carpet.

The Balmain top looked great in motion.

I’m used to and prefer the Formation outfits when they’re black but the Versace colorful pieces are fun.

6. Tina K December 4, 2018 at 4:50 pm #

Those pins on the Versace outfit looked so funny all aligned and with the visible lining underneath, considering how iconic Elizabeth Hurley’s dress and that entire collection was. B tried hard though

7. justme December 4, 2018 at 3:17 pm #

South Africa clearly inspired her creative team. I love these looks more than I I did some of her tour ones.

The Balmain top looked great in motion.

8. Kat December 4, 2018 at 3:15 pm #

They are all beautiful and she looked stunning in them all but if I absolutely had to choose one it would be Balmain. It really captured both Beyonce as the Queen and the spirit of the country.
    I like that Mary included the outline of all 54 African countries in her piece too!

9. Fee December 4, 2018 at 11:43 am #

Bow down bitches indeed! Love all of these performance pieces.

10. TeaAtTwo December 4, 2018 at 11:38 am #

Fun and strong stage looks. The yellow Versace is my favourite especially when in conjunction with the dancers outfits.

11. justme December 4, 2018 at 11:36 am #

South Africa gave her stylist team some serious creative juices. I loved these costumes more than some she had on tour.

My favorite is the Ashi Studio gown. It’s visually more striking and impactful on a dark stage than on a red carpet.

The Balmain top looked amazing in motion.

12. Anne-Marie December 4, 2018 at 9:27 am #

Deepika owned the Ashi look! Nice try, Beyonce, but not even close.

• meme December 4, 2018 at 2:38 pm #

• Tina K December 4, 2018 at 4:43 pm #

13. Vizual Ninja December 4, 2018 at 9:18 am #

Strong performance looks. I’m glad she diversified instead of just a series of sparkly bodysuits. The Versace, Balmain and Esteban are my favs.

14. Charlotte December 4, 2018 at 7:44 am #

I don’t really like the Versace jumpsuit, as it looks pretty cheap, but it works for a performance piece.
    The Ashi Studio dress is gorgeous and it’s perfect for a show.
    The other looks are what we can expect from her on stage, so nothing new.

15. brat December 4, 2018 at 7:08 am #

the Versace was the only piece I really loved, Deepika did the Ashi Studio already and did it better. Her styling was more impactful though I never really cared for the dress overall.