Menu

05.11.18

Hailee Steinfeld’s Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

Hailee Steinfeld was the host of the 2018 MTV EMAs held in Bilbao, Spain on Sunday (November 4), where she stole the show with no fewer than eight gorgeous looks.

She arrived on the red carpet wearing a gorgeous Armani Prive Spring 2018 ultra mini dress.  I love how the bubble-like paillette detailing has a lighter than air feel, with her complementary choice of Christian Louboutin ‘Follies Strass’ pumps keeping up the sparkling theme.  The mild case of deja vu you might be feeling, is because the silhouette is similar to Nicole Kidman’s 2018 Oscar gown.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

Things took a slightly futuristic turn in Ralph & Russo’s crystal encrusted mini dress styled with René Caovilla ‘Cleo Maxi Strass’ sandals.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

If you believe that Alexandre Vauthier only produced ultra mini sexy dresses, Hailee proved that glamour, rather than sex, is the designer’s M.O.  The trousers are a really hard sell here, but I love the colour and the fact that the ankle ties aren’t dragging across the stage.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

I love futuristic properties of the overlay skirt.  Balmain can be a bit too repetitive for me.   For example Olivier does striped tops a lot, but the skirt helps give his staple a new lease of life.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

I have a feeling this Balmain Spring 2019 jumpsuit was originally destined for JLo closet. It seems ideal for her.  Especially with the sheer elements.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

The actress looked like a fairy that stepped onto the MTV stage wearing a Ralph & Russo feather dress.  If you’re having another case of deja vu, that might be because of Kendall Jenner’s 2018 CFDA Fashion Awards Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2017 Couture look.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

You can’t go wrong with a Saint Laurent mini dress, even one with a dramatically sculpted, petal-like detail. The look paid tribute to the brand’s styling with barely there black tights and sky-high heels.

Hailee Steinfeld's Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

The cut-out add some balance to the draped design of this Acler Resort 2019 gown. The look might feel plain, but in accordance with the postmodern theme, Hailee was then blasted with spray paint by robotic arms as she introduced the next performer.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

2019 Breakthrough Prize Ceremony

2019 Breakthrough Prize Ceremony

22nd Annual Hollywood Film Awards

22nd Annual Hollywood Film Awards

16 Responses to Hailee Steinfeld’s Eight MTV EMAs Wardrobe Changes

1. Amy November 8, 2018 at 6:52 am #

She did a great job. Her looks were pretty solid. The mini dresses were easy hits. They were cute and she has the body for it. I actually like the Vauthier crazy pants, it’s an MTV show after all.
    I agree about the Jlo statement

2. Maya S. November 7, 2018 at 8:07 pm #

I love all of these except the last one. What an impressive selection!

3. Caroline November 7, 2018 at 12:42 am #

I adore the red carpet look.

4. Mimi November 6, 2018 at 7:06 pm #

She rocked all of these looks IMO! Thanks for covering! I love the first 2 mini dresses and the feather dress – I feel like we’ve seen the feather dress trend a lot lately and she’s rocked it the best I think!

5. TeaAtTwo November 6, 2018 at 4:07 pm #

The mini-dresses work for her and the event though slightly unimaginative but there were boring though I’d have liked the Prive to have been a bit longer. The jumpsuits weren’t to my tastes but at least they weren’t another leotard.

6. TeaAtTwo November 6, 2018 at 12:43 pm #

The mini dresses work fine for the her and the event though I wish the Prive were a few inches longer. I don’t really like either of the jumpsuits but I guess for stage looks it’s better than another leotard. I guess the gown spraying made for some sort of entertainment.

7. H November 6, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

I think Hailee looked amazing in these looks. She’s pretty young so she had plenty of fun and all the looks were pretty enjoyable on TV as well. The black Balmain jumpsuit was worn as a performance piece and at first she had a furry green (or neon green?) jacket and looked amazing! Loved all the other looks and the white final piece served its purpose of getting painted since Bilbao is recognized as city perfectly suited for the arts and the whole theme of the awards was a museum.

• HL November 6, 2018 at 12:16 pm #

My thought exactly!

8. Fiona-Brasil November 6, 2018 at 10:39 am #

Beautiful girl great looks, more hits than misses!

9. Rulala November 6, 2018 at 10:05 am #

Which intern thought it was a good idea to copy McQueen? It’s literally one of the most iconic moments in fashion. They didn’t even bother changing the colours or the technique or anything…. They didn’t even try to make it a tribute.

The others are nice, especially the Armani Prive look. But for some reason, I don’t feel like I have a sense of what her fashion personality/ identity is… even with 8 looks. Is that just me?

• TeaAtTwo November 6, 2018 at 12:37 pm #

I thought of that Mcqueen show with Shalom Harlow too when I read the spray robot painting bit.

10. Mokka November 6, 2018 at 9:19 am #

I like the Ralph & Russo dress and the Balmain jumpsuit, but the last one – McQueen much? It was an iconic moment from his runway, why would they copy it…

11. Charlotte November 6, 2018 at 9:10 am #

All this looks are great for this kind of show, except maybe the last.
    I love the Alexandre Vauthier jumpsuit, the Balmain jumpsuit could have been good but the sheer elements look cheap and poorly made.
    The Saint Laurent dress and firt R&R dress look good too.

12. JHH November 6, 2018 at 7:52 am #

Three hits (the R &R, first Balmain and the Saint Laurent) out of eight tries is not too bad. If she were a baseball, she would be considered very good but for fashion, I’d say not too bad. Love the line about the jumpsuit being destined for Jennifer Lopez — it is very her.

13. phee November 6, 2018 at 4:59 am #

I love the second and fourth, both interesting futuristic looks. and beautiful.

the purple outfit is pretty ugly and unflattering, so is the last white dress.

14. Vizual Ninja November 6, 2018 at 4:05 am #

Not bad for her first time hosting, more hits than misses… very youthful and fun looks. Both R&R’ and the Saint Laurent are my favs. The first Balmain isn’t bad either, the first and last are my least favourites.