Menu

Cate Blanchett In Maison Margiela Haute Couture - ‘The House With A Clock In Its Walls’ Rome Film Festival Premiere

What do you do when the world is expecting something?

You give them something else.

Cate Blanchett has never been predictable, yet I was trying to pick out which look she was going to select from Armani Prive for ‘The House With A Clock In Its Walls’ Rome Film Festival premiere this evening (October 19).

But on this occasion, she had other ideas.

When I saw Cate in this custom Maison Margiela Spring 2018 Haute Couture gown by John Galliano, I felt like the future of fashion had finally arrived.

The prismatic pleated fan takes this look into another realm, one with flying cars and robots dogs we were promised in ‘Back the Future’.

How does she do it? Mind-blown.

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

amfAR Los Angeles 2018

amfAR Los Angeles 2018

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

27 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Maison Margiela Haute Couture – ‘The House With A Clock In Its Walls’ Rome Film Festival Premiere

1. tweed October 22, 2018 at 6:37 am #

Gorgeous dress which she didn’t do anything to elevate. I would’ve loved to have seen this on Tilda instead.

2. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang October 21, 2018 at 7:53 pm #

Cate Blanchett is not being called Queen Cate for nothing!! This is GLORIOUSNESS OVERLOAD!! Long live Queen Cate, and may your reign last for eternity!! BDOTY contender no doubt alongside her two Armani Prive stunners at Venice Film Festival, HANDS DOWN BABY!!

3. Caroline October 20, 2018 at 1:14 pm #

Another BDOTY contender for Cate! This is the Cate I know and love.

4. Fiona - Perth October 20, 2018 at 2:25 am #

Stunning – I just wish I could see it moving under lights. BDOTW for sure

• Fiona-Brasil October 22, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

+ 1

• Giada October 23, 2018 at 8:35 am #

5. JHH October 20, 2018 at 1:39 am #

Wow, I don’t get the adoration here. It’s a nice dress but not mind-blowing and the metallic inverted triangle above the waist looks like armor and is not very flattering.

• Real Nat39 October 20, 2018 at 6:23 am #

It’s a great look, but I agree that it’s not reaching the “mind-blowing” level.

• Fee October 20, 2018 at 10:03 am #

Agree, great look but… #MindNotBlown

• SilentVisitor October 22, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

6. Ksenia October 20, 2018 at 12:21 am #

This look is great, but this means Hollywood/society has forgiven John Galliano for his antisemitism? Okay, got it.

Admittedly, I’m still prickly about our Queen Cate because her response to having worked for Woody Allen in the wake of #MeToo is “due process” when women and men, especially women of color, are discriminated against in the judicial system is f-ing rich.

Love Cate, but she’s disappointed me with the Woody Allen noncommittal, myopic, privileged responses. I’m not sure how I feel about John Galliano getting worn by celebs, has he truly repented beyond saying sorry?

• Lee Ann October 20, 2018 at 10:36 am #

Oh Please ! He made a mistake and said something in a drunken haze and paid for it handsomely and shouldn’t be compared to repeated years of child abuse . It’s been almost 8 years. It must be hard being a saint.as you clearly are

The dress is beautiful and I am glad he is getting his genius seen .

Well done Kate

• Ksenia October 20, 2018 at 9:29 pm #

Hey Lee Ann, I’ve been drunk and I’ve never gone all antisemitic. And I didn’t mean to compare him with Woody Allen, but I was asking a question about whether he’s repented, NOT the “price” he has paid in terms of self-humiliation. I am not saying I don’t forgive Galliano, but the larger question I’m asking is, is time and self-humiliation, not repentance and personal growth, the key to being forgiven? You say ‘oh that was 8 years ago’ about antisemitism, but what about racism? Sexism? Meme and LeeAnn, what do you think about Mel Gibson? Mark Wahlberg? Fashion, celebrity and gossip collide and speak volumes about our values as a society, which is why I brought it up in the first place.

• DorianGray October 21, 2018 at 11:29 am #

Before write something about Woody Allen please read carefully this: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/23/woody-allen-moses-farrow-mia-dylan-sexual-assault-claim

• Lee Ann October 22, 2018 at 3:05 pm #

And Ronan Fartow says the opposite . Who knows but whatever the truth I do th think the deeds or alledged deeds are comparable not belong on a site about fashion .

• Lee Ann October 22, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

Who are you and I to judge . I am not god or judge and jury . I do know he has been volunteering at various Jewish shelters and charities and has been studying with various Rabbis .you may not think that enough .
          I’m here to judge clothes .

• meme October 20, 2018 at 3:29 pm #

Galliano is a genius and master. This dress is jaw droppingly gorgeous and Cate looks like the queen she is in it. Candidate for BDOTY for me. What Galliano said was years ago and he was defunk. He paid dearly and it is time to let it go.

Supremely well don, Queen Cate.😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

7. Alexandra October 19, 2018 at 11:28 pm #

Perfection! Another BDOTY contender.

8. Rocio October 19, 2018 at 10:24 pm #

Stunning! Love the dress

9. TeaAtTwo October 19, 2018 at 10:12 pm #

I was a fan of the gown when I saw the show online. I absolutely adore this look. The Mary Kantranzou at Cannes has been my front runner so far from Cate but this and the feathered Armani in Venice give some serious fashion consideration.

10. Aocc October 19, 2018 at 8:49 pm #

At this pace, Cate will take like half of the BDOTY list!

11. Nadine Hughey October 19, 2018 at 8:45 pm #

So good. Like a star of silver screen, but better!

12. Susannah October 19, 2018 at 8:42 pm #

Wow! Wow! just wow…I love EVERYTHING about this dress! It’s interesting from every angle, the light catches it and the dress changes, it’s fascinating. I love it.

13. Vizual Ninja October 19, 2018 at 8:33 pm #

Gorgeous!!! When she’s good, she’s REALLY good…I’d be surprised if anyone tops this for this week.

14. Sarah October 19, 2018 at 8:27 pm #

I can only imagine how much more divine it would look in movement. All hail the queen.

• Jerusa Herrera October 20, 2018 at 12:47 am #