Menu

24.07.17

Jennifer Lopez is Instaglam in Bao Tranchi

A post shared by Alex Rodriguez (@arod) on

A-Rod and Jennifer Lopez celebrated their birthdays (27 July and 24 July respectively) this weekend with a lavish celebration in Miami on Saturday (July 22).

The former New York Yankees player posted a photo on Instagram with him looking very sharp in his blue suit, but I’m sure the majority of the likes on this picture were for his stunning girlfriend Jennifer Lopez, who rocked a sheer black mini dress with an ab-baring cut out by Bao Tranchi.

I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine this weekend about JLo. She thinks the actress is too old to be wearing dresses like this, but at 48, she still has the body to pull these kind of dresses off, so long as it’s tastefully done.

The look was styled with Jimmy Choo ‘April’ platform sandals with some JLo bling coming courtesy of her jewels and sparkling Jimmy Choo ‘Ciggy’ clutch.

So, do you agree with my friend that she’s too old for this style of dress, or do you take my, “if you’ve got it flaunt it” point of view?

Credit: Instagram

Maya Rudolph In Marc Jacobs - 'The Emoji Movie' LA Premiere

Maya Rudolph In Marc Jacobs – ‘The Emoji Movie’ LA Premiere

Cara Delevingne In Mugler, Dion Lee & Alexander Wang - 'Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets' Promo Tour

Cara Delevingne In Mugler, Dion Lee & Alexander Wang – ‘Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets’ Promo Tour

36 Responses to Jennifer Lopez is Instaglam in Bao Tranchi

1. Eulalia July 26, 2017 at 12:16 am #

Her body looks absolutely amazing and is super envy worthy plus she admits it takes hard work and dedication. I don’t see why she shouldn’t show it in any way she wants. This dress isn’t particularly to my taste but it has nothing to do with her age at all. She still looks stunning

2. Tati M July 25, 2017 at 7:44 pm #

Too old for that

3. Rorie July 25, 2017 at 4:39 pm #

I totally concur re: her body being aaahhhmazing…and I have zero issue with her showing it off it she wants to. But doing so doesn’t make it stylish. And while she certainly pulls this type of look off as well or better than almost anyone I can think of, this is dramatic in a conventional sense and relies on it’s shock value for power, which is kind of boring and also unnecessary for someone with the beauty and figure of JLo.

4. Ange July 25, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Age has nothing to do with it . It’s a just a tacky dress .

5. Noemi July 25, 2017 at 9:35 am #

I usually think that she tries too hard (and she doesn’t need it because she’s a gorgeous woman) but I find this appropriate, after all they were celebrating. Probably the dress was a kind of present for him 🙂

6. Kathy July 25, 2017 at 8:21 am #

Good for her for having the kind of body confidence she does. All the kudos to her in that respect, and I for one am certainly not going to take away from it.

That being said, simply from an aesthetic standpoint, I can’t get on board with this dress. Between the cutout, the sheer fabric, and the embellishments, there are just too many competing elements. It’s very distracting, and frankly, off-putting. JLo can and should do better.

7. Crystalline July 25, 2017 at 3:31 am #

Drenched in desperation. Not the best way to flaunt that bod. She looks fit bu the dress is way too tavky.

8. VG July 25, 2017 at 3:19 am #

Clothes should have nothing to do with age, that however, is one UGLY dress. I don’t care how amazing she looks (she does) but why pick a dress as tacky as this? Not even a 20 year old should be wearing this. It’s tasteless and reeks of desperation.

9. SilentVisitor July 25, 2017 at 3:00 am #

Every year that passes sees her lose some coverage or length in her clothes. I guess next year, the birds on the dress will disappear and the year after next year, she will be naked

This just reeks of desperation and thirst…… Tacky, cheap and trashy. I suppose she wanted people to talk, well she succeeded

10. Amy July 24, 2017 at 11:45 pm #

Jlo is so hot she can do whatever she likes. She earned it. But let’s keep it real, this dress is ugly. put it on a 20 year old and I’d say the same. Bad design, poor structure and dated.
    Even the Jlo can’t save it

11. TeaAtTwo July 24, 2017 at 10:54 pm #

Amazing figure but tacky dress.

12. CreoleLady July 24, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

This look is trashy and try-hard. Too tight, too short, too sheer, too much. Has nothing to do with age.

• TL July 24, 2017 at 10:56 pm #

I agree. She herself is flawless but the dress is trashy. On anyone of any age. She must have access to much much better clothes.

13. PinkSugar July 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm #

I agree that if you look this amazing and it’s done with taste then by all means wear the hell out of it. I also think when you’re an entertainer and doing a lot of flashy concerts/shows you get more of a pass when it bleeds into your every day wardrobe. JLO has always worn this style of clothing and managed to pull it off while still looking like a lady. A good comparison is Kim KW who is almost a decade younger than JLO, stays fit, and constantly wears revealing clothing that she cannot pull off. The difference is the way a woman carries herself. Kim comes off desperate, attention seeking and trashy, while JLO just exudes this confidence of “I worked hard for it, might as well show it off”. I think she looks sensational.

14. kane July 24, 2017 at 8:39 pm #

I’ll echo most others: she’s got the bod, but not the taste.

15. JHH July 24, 2017 at 8:07 pm #

I definitely do not follow the “you are too old to wear something revealing” school of thought. If your body looks good, go ahead and wear it but it is still subject to opinions on whether or not it looks good or event appropriate or even worthy of the stature of the person wearing it. I sometimes think that things look juvenile but that is not because of being revealing. There are just some things that I think a child would wear and I find them odd on anyone who is older than a teenager. JLo is killing it here in terms of how her body looks in the dress but I think it is way trashy (with the birds strategically placed over her breasts) and I would feel that way if she were 19 though I would probably give her a pass figuring that she was just getting her fashion legs and trying to figure out what to wear where. I intensely disliked that Ralph Russo sheer dress that Bela Hadid wore to Cannes and age had nothing to do with it.

16. Nat39 July 24, 2017 at 7:57 pm #

I don’t find this particular dress very tasteful, but, generally speaking, I don’t see the age-inappropriateness issue here, one has to consider the style – it’s a sexy LBD that suits the wearer’s persona. The other thing when mature women wear little twee dresses or juvenile outfits …

• Nat39 July 24, 2017 at 8:52 pm #

…this here really is not about age – it’s not a valid discussion here. If anything a sexy LBD suits a more mature sex appeal. It’s about the taste.

17. Ale July 24, 2017 at 7:47 pm #

Saying that someone is too old to wear something is ageist – as simple as that.

18. Lancel July 24, 2017 at 7:39 pm #

She looks incredible and her body is fantastic. She can wear whatever she wants and it doesn’t have to do with her age. But she chooses very often “cheap” dresses like this one. I personally wouldn’t like this one on anyone. Neither a 20 yo nor a 40 yo. Not classy at all.

19. Catherine July 24, 2017 at 7:22 pm #

Her body is SICK. My god. I can’t argue with it. And, on a personal level, I do appreciate that she openly talks about how much work it takes to look like that: no alcohol, no carbs, hours and hours of working out. She deserves to wear what she wants.

20. from-chitown July 24, 2017 at 7:14 pm #

I dont think it has to do with age, it has to do with taste. She doesn’t look like an average 48yr old. She does look amazing for her age and her body is ridiculously fit. She can carry off pretty much anything, but personally I am not a fan of such sheer dresses on anyone – no matter the age.

21. moonbeam July 24, 2017 at 7:12 pm #

The “too old” comments are ridiculous. If you want to be old and dress in a muumuu at 48 then go for it. But not everyone ages the same way. The peanut gallery is always trying to age people prematurely and tell others what they can and can’t do. All these rules that really mean nothing. Jlo looks great.

22. olala July 24, 2017 at 7:06 pm #

I have a problem with ‘age appropriateness;, and one of them being: where would you draw the line? At what age do JLo dresses stop being alright? This dress would work on a 20 year old? What about someone who was 30? Then what about someone who was 35? Or 40? When there is no objective criteria, the arguments is difficult to defend.

I think it is a personal choice. She is expressing herself wonderfully. She probably works very hard to look like that, and if she wants to show off, it is entirely her prerogative.

• Catherine Kallon July 24, 2017 at 7:14 pm #

Love this comment

• Raquel July 24, 2017 at 7:27 pm #

• Christine July 24, 2017 at 9:54 pm #

I agree. She looks AMAZING. Hope I look like that at 48. Tacky is still tacky though.

Her choice to show it off, no doubt. But the dress is tacky

• olala July 25, 2017 at 2:59 am #

Absolutely – I do think this dress is not very good either, but she looks better in it than would most others. I personally do not like the way the Kardashians dress or Emily Rajatkowski. But then, it would be a little rich to say one of them is too old/ tall/ short/ dark/ pale to wear anything. In my own opinion, they are not the best dressed ladies around. But age has little to do with it. Which is why I value this blog and a few others – clothes are not judged for the genes of the lady wearing them but for their taste.

Having said that, JLO shows as much or more skin then them, and somehow comes across as less contrived and more tasteful. It might have to do with more self-confidence and less need for validation, or just more charisma, or just plain better alignment with my taste. This is a very smart lady who has worked damn hard in life to be where she is.

Btw: I am a straight guy! So what do I know about fashion 🙁

23. Dana July 24, 2017 at 6:57 pm #

I think JLo is stunning, but I just don’t like the dress. Too much with the sheer, the cutout, the length.

24. Alina July 24, 2017 at 6:56 pm #

There are better ways to flaunt it.

• Alina July 24, 2017 at 7:20 pm #

I need to elaborate on this. Jennifer looks amazing, her body and the work she puts in it are awe-inspiring. However, in my humble opinion, this dress and many she chooses to wear are not the best for her as they often tend to be cheap-looking.
      Showing legs? Yes. Showing boobs? Yes. Showing both of them? Yes. But do it in clothes that are worthy of your body and status.

• Nat39 July 24, 2017 at 9:58 pm #

The phrase itself “….flaunt it” already sounds like an absence of taste. If you got it, you don’t have to throw it on display, but rather present it tastefully.

25. Nat July 24, 2017 at 6:53 pm #

I don’t think she is too old because she does not resemble her age. She average 48 yo woman would never be able to pull off this look as she is. I think she looks great. But, fashionwise is a been there,seen that,done that look. Boring even though is revealing.

• Nat July 24, 2017 at 6:53 pm #

The *

• moonbeam July 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm #

The average 25 year old woman couldn’t wear a dress like this! This has nothing to do with age, but more so physique. Jlo’s body isn’t average. Most people these days are overweight and out of shape. Go to a typical beach in the US or UK and you’ll see.

26. Ana July 24, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

I’m more of the “if you’ve got it flaunt it” point of view but I do believe that here she is “flaunting” way too much. I think this dress is wrong no matter the age of whoever is wearing it.