Menu

July 14, 2017

Melania Trump In Christian Dior – Paris State Visit

Melania Trump is currently in Paris for a short whirlwind visit, but she wasted no time in making an elegant impression upon her arrival on Thursday (July 13).

A modern vision of the iconic Christian Dior ‘Bar’ suit, her red cinched-waist jacket and matching A-line skirt conjured the designer’s iconic ‘New Look’ collection from the ’40s.

But, more than that, the First Lady also paid homage to Dior’s 70th anniversary and the ‘Christian Dior: Couturier du Reve’ retrospective currently showing at Les Arts Decoratifs in Paris.

Smart and sophisticated.

Credit: Getty

Jordana Brewster In Jonathan Simkhai - The Grand Opening Of The Highlight Room At DREAM

Jordana Brewster In Jonathan Simkhai – The Grand Opening Of The Highlight Room At DREAM

Jenny Slate In Lela Rose - 'Landline' LA Premiere

Jenny Slate In Lela Rose – ‘Landline’ LA Premiere

52 Responses to Melania Trump In Christian Dior – Paris State Visit

1. J July 16, 2017 at 10:21 pm #

Elegant.

2. ayatlaw July 15, 2017 at 8:56 pm #

I don’t like this. Too much red. Melania used to have great style before she became first lady. Now she appears uncomfortable and stiff–like she is out of her element.

• JHH July 16, 2017 at 11:20 pm #

That’s because she is out of her element and trying to play it safe. Trying to stay in lane.

3. grazia July 15, 2017 at 8:43 pm #

This contributes to normalizing ppl who are actively hurting the US, and pursuing racist, misogynist, xenophobic agendas. This is a woman who co-signed birtherism and excused the “locker room talk.” Not ok.

• Jenny July 16, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

YES! Exactly.

• AnnaP July 29, 2017 at 3:02 pm #

Totally agree. Politics should enter other worlds sometimes and no-one should normalise these monstrous people.

4. Rorie July 15, 2017 at 4:55 pm #

Love the simple elegance of this suit! Her hair is lovely. I wish she had gone with a different shoe shade to enliven this just a bit – maybe not as far as hot pink as suggested above, but a bright white might have added some punch. Also, thank you to RCFA for doing fashion sans politics. It’s refreshing!

• LeeAnn July 16, 2017 at 4:07 pm #

I wear a lot of Dior red and I know it sounds OTT but hot pink works really well with their red but you do have to see it. Cobalt and Petrol blue also work.

5. kelly July 15, 2017 at 2:22 pm #

I do not like this woman or anything that she, through association with her husband, represent. The role of “First Lady” is an archaic one that ought to be retired – women dress up and parade around for the press while their husband works – and it is odd to be commenting on the FLOTUS fashion choices at the same time that it is becoming clear that her family and the campaign engaged in treasonous activities. Unlike the other commenter, I am not threatening to not visit here, rather I question if it is appropriate that we act like “business as usual” during this turbulent time in American politics, and indeed global affairs. This isn’t partisan – I would certainly not be opposed to posts on Laura Bush if this were 15 years ago. Given that she campaigned for her husband and seems to have no plans to end her relationship, Mrs. Trump is complicit in promoting his agenda which is xenophobic, anti-intellectual, anti-science, anti-woman, anti-truth, and now it seems, treasonous. To this end, I do not appreciate attempts to normalize her or any other member of the family, and that is what I see this post as. Mrs. Trump has not attempted to engage in the public with any kind of policy of her (likely because she, like her husband and the rest of the family, has no experience whatsoever and is deeply unprepared for a life in politics).

Beyond that, I don’t think she is an engaging fashion figure – she was a C list model and has the taste of one, she appears to be performing a poor pantomime of First Lady via fashion. I can imagine her and stylists aiming for a Jackie Kennedy type of look, but forgetting that Jackie had a degree in french literature and worked for a newspaper before turning her focus to her family, and eventually to arts and culture as her work at FLOTUS. I don’t see anything ‘smart’ about this look.

• moonbeam July 15, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

I agree 100%.

• grazia July 15, 2017 at 8:43 pm #

Agree 100%

• Boy July 15, 2017 at 10:03 pm #

Agree 100%, and I’m shocked so many people have been defending her in the comments.

• quimby July 16, 2017 at 1:39 am #

+1000

• Kathy July 16, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

Well said. Fashion doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and at some point we have to ask ourselves whether it’s responsible to keep covering a figure like Melania Trump for the sake of staid neutrality.

• Jenny July 16, 2017 at 4:33 pm #

Amen sister!

• kane July 17, 2017 at 6:47 pm #

I’ll agree with your second paragraph, and that would indeed be a reason not to consider her inclusion on this blog. Given, however, the stage that she commands now, one could argue otherwise.

It is true that fashion does not exist in a vacuum, but this isn’t a culture blog but a fashion blog. Shutting it out and ignoring or denying its existence doesn’t allow for debate either; debate is important, not censorship. Indeed, there could even be value in the acknowledgement of her comparable insignificance as an ambassador for her country or for fashion (Michelle’s choices of designers managed to send quite different signals).

• AnnaP July 29, 2017 at 3:03 pm #

Agree totally. Sick of seeing these people.

6. Pheephee July 15, 2017 at 4:30 am #

I have been looking at Trumps fashion style and shes got some great taste! I love her inaugral dress. Glad to see her on here!
    This particular one looks professional and so serious which probably was perfect for the event but I do find it quite stuffy and matronly. So its still good but Ive seen better from her.

7. Matt Bond July 15, 2017 at 2:53 am #

I love your blog, I come here at least twice per day & was ecstatic that you came back. I even used to go to the site by accident at least once per week while you were gone. But I will stop if I ever see another Melania Trump post. She is beautiful, but has such low disregard for human life & is an embarrassment to America & the fashion world.

• Samuel July 15, 2017 at 5:20 am #

Looks like there’s other blogs that might be more suited to you Matt…my understanding is that this blog is about fashion?

I’m loving how Melania is walking the line of fashion but while being appropriate and classy. I also love a blog that doesn’t have to turn everything political!

• grazia July 15, 2017 at 8:57 pm #

Defending against normalization/support of bigotry, authoritarianism, misogyny, xenophobia, assault, etc. is not “political.” It’s about basic values of human decency, safety, and democracy. Publishers, including bloggers, esp in an around fashion, are well aware of the current climate and feature these folks at their own readership risk.

• Lancel July 15, 2017 at 10:25 am #

@Matt I am shocked by your deep democratic values. What you just said seems like blackmail and reminds me of something else, but definitely not Democracy!

• grazia July 15, 2017 at 8:44 pm #

What Matt is talking about is called boycott, not blackmail, and is his right to do if he so chooses.

• Lancel July 16, 2017 at 12:31 am #

This whole thing is ridiculous for the very simple reason that Trump was elected by the American people. He isn’t a dictator. People voted for him. Like Obama before him. And I am pretty sure that half of people disliked Obama too but I didn’t see this manipulation and discussion when FC was posting Michelle’s looks. It is sad that you can’t understand it. A true supporter of Democracy, understands this. Everyone is free to read whatever he likes but warning you that he will stop because she is using her RIGHT to publish a LOOK about a woman is insane… Just stop reading it, my friend. You don’t have to warn. FYI I am not American. But I can’t understand how you Americans perceive Democracy if you don’t respect the people’s vote. Millions of people voted for him. But I guess you believe that your vote is more important and has greater value than the other half’s… Well That isn’t called democracy. At least acknowledge it. You prefer an other system of government

• moonbeam July 16, 2017 at 8:03 am #

trump was not “elected” by the American people. 19% of Americans (62.5 million of 320+ million people) voted for him—nowhere near a majority, and he was put into office via the help of Russians. He did not win the popular vote. He is not legitimate.

• Lancel July 16, 2017 at 7:23 pm #

@moonbeam He was elected based on your voting system. That is how it works everywhere in the democratic countries. There are laws that define how sb will be elected and Trump was legally elected. I seriously can’t stand fanatics and this behavior is unbelievable. I hate it when someone doesn’t respect Democracy and the Constitution. Anyway, I find melania’s style interesting and I hope to see more posts about her in the future!

• moonbeam July 16, 2017 at 9:24 pm #

trump was not legitimately elected based on our voting system, clearly you haven’t been watching the news. And based on what he has said numerous times he doesn’t respect democracy and he has NOT READ the Constitution! You really should do some research before you start writing about matters you only know superficially.

• grazia July 16, 2017 at 9:35 pm #

Enjoying a non-American denigrating Americans and lecturing Americans (incorrectly) about American democracy, the American system and the American Constitution. [*sarcasm*.] FYI, our voting system is not based on any candidate cooperating with a hostile foreign power to subvert that system. Also, since you insist on caps, it IS indeed my RIGHT to “warn” that I may not continue reading, as is guaranteed to me in MY country’s Constitution. If having a problem with predation, misogyny, racism, xenophobia, creeping authoritarianism, etc. is being a “fanatic” to you, well, this is where my participation in such an exchange ends.

p.s. I smell trolls.

• kane July 17, 2017 at 6:41 pm #

This blog is about fashion and trying to leave politics at its door doesn’t mean that one is apolitical but again this blog is about fashion. Which is why I will consider posts on Melania, but scroll straight past most of the Kardashians. These aren’t (I assume) FC’s politics and I love this blog too much to let the inclusion of either Trump or the Kardashians put me off it.

8. Lola July 15, 2017 at 12:47 am #

A big no for me! It looks sort or unpolished and way too matronly. I usually do like her style, but I am not a fan of this matchy-matchy uninspired look.

• kane July 17, 2017 at 6:37 pm #

Matronly! I think this may have been the word I was looking for.

9. Lancel July 14, 2017 at 11:36 pm #

Very stylish. I like it.

10. moonbeam July 14, 2017 at 6:46 pm #

The color is great and her hair looks nice but overall this is a stiff, boring and unimaginative outfit.

11. Lee Ann July 14, 2017 at 6:46 pm #

I love this bar jacket and matching skirt which if any shorter would look like stewardess. I wish she had worn hot pink shoes as the matching shoes make it a little dull.

• Leandra July 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm #

I agree. The lenght of the skirt seems to be appropriate for her position as 1rst lady. I didn’t like the French first lady’s minies.

12. Nat July 14, 2017 at 3:29 pm #

I love this look but I think the length of the skirt is too long on her and makes her look a bit matronly. If it was over the knees it would be perfect.

• JHH July 14, 2017 at 11:41 pm #

13. Maria F. July 14, 2017 at 2:50 pm #

i like it, but it lacks a bit of jewelry or something to liven it up a bit more.

14. meme July 14, 2017 at 10:49 am #

Melania looks fabulous. She knows how to wear clothes and has great style.

• Caroline July 14, 2017 at 3:53 pm #

15. Lexa July 14, 2017 at 10:48 am #

This look is nice and elegant, but boring. I much prefer her look from the state visit to Poland last week. 🙂

16. kane July 14, 2017 at 10:45 am #

Reminds me of the Letizia look yesterday, which I would describe as “effortless.” This one just rubs me the wrong way. It seems to shout out to me just much thought has gone into this to come up with what on the surface looks like a simple splash of deep colour. It feels forced and unnatural to me.

• meme July 14, 2017 at 10:50 am #

Forced and unnatural? She looks very much at ease and comfortable.

• kane July 14, 2017 at 11:11 am #

I don’t mean her demeanour but her style of dress. It just doesn’t flow for me. Indeed, I checked the post history wondering if I may be unfair or let politics colour my judgement, but the January post has none of this. This feels stiff to me.

• meme July 14, 2017 at 10:51 am #

She looks comfortable and elegance. I see nothing “unnatural” or “forced.”

• Nadia July 14, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

17. Sanya July 14, 2017 at 10:37 am #

Beautiful. She delivers every time. I like her style. She seems to know what looks good on her, and she is not afraid of colors and patterns. I am becoming a fan of the First Lady. P.S. Still don’t like the husband.

• Raquel July 15, 2017 at 7:57 am #

+ 3

18. Nadia July 14, 2017 at 10:35 am #

It is a lovely outfit, but for some reason it looks downright out of place on her. I feel the length of the skirt hits wrong, it reads frumpy.

• Biqa July 14, 2017 at 11:00 am #