15.05.13 Premiere

Opening Ceremony And 'The Great Gatsby' Premiere - The 66th Annual Cannes Film Festival

Fan Bingbing joined in the celebration of ‘The Great Gatsby’ Cannes Film Festival premiere, which also served as the opening ceremony.

Sadly, she didn’t use the occasion to showcase one of her countrymen’s Asian-inspired creations like she has done for the past three years at the opening ceremony; instead she wore a custom Louis Vuitton gown.

This is the first time the French fashion house has created a gown especially for an Asian actress.

The duchess satin strapless gown with a grey and red sequined bodice was styled with a Louis Vuitton minaudière and Chopard jewels.

Do you wish Fan Bingbing had kept up her opening ceremony tradition or are you too swept away by the lusciousness of the gown to consider this an issue?

Credit: Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Cara Delevingne In Burberry - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Cara Delevingne In Burberry – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

31 Responses to Fan Bingbing In Louis Vuitton – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. dee May 15, 2013 at 19:33 #

Hair is gorgeous. Gown is just OK.

2. Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 19:33 #

I think she looks stunning nonetheless. I’m not always a fan of Louis Vuitton gowns, but they did a great job here.

3. mm May 15, 2013 at 19:33 #

Very disappointed. This is very regular compared to the past

• Christine May 16, 2013 at 02:22 #

She did not bring it this time.

4. Ruff May 15, 2013 at 19:33 #

She looks so beautiful with her hair down. Less make up than usual doesn´t hurt also. The dress is Zzzzzzzz and the bodice doesnt fit to perfection, but I like her in this. For someone who usually looks like a geisha disguised as a Christmas tree this look is a huge improvement.

Custom made LV gowns are usually awful, btw.

5. Jennifer May 15, 2013 at 19:34 #

I am sad that she didn’t wear a gown by an Asian designer as she has in the past.

This is beautiful, but lacking that Wow factor that I normally associate with Fan.

That being said – how she doesn’t have wrinkles in that gown amazes me.

6. Moxie May 15, 2013 at 19:35 #

I wish she’d stuck with her Asian inspired gown. This one is nice, but not fantastic.

• Prudence May 15, 2013 at 19:46 #

agreed, this is easily forgettable. LV has never made a gown I have truly adored.

• Beta May 15, 2013 at 20:06 #

+1 I was looking forwards to seeing her in a fabulous chinese dress

7. petrelli May 15, 2013 at 19:36 #

She just looks good, there’s something missin’ here. I don’t know if it’s the fabric but the gown looks too heavy for my likes.

8. Lola May 15, 2013 at 19:37 #

Except for the train, which is very ott – and malplasse…this looks a lot like the dress my mother-in-law was wearing to her 25th wedding anniversary…which was not in any way shape or form made by LV

9. malinda jane May 15, 2013 at 19:39 #

I’m so disappointed. I LIVE for her asian gowns every year.
    Sad.

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2013 at 19:46 #

I feel your pain

• Beta May 15, 2013 at 20:07 #

+1 me too :P

• Thomas May 15, 2013 at 20:13 #

I think that she will still wear one just decided to switch things up this year

10. Stuart May 15, 2013 at 19:52 #

She looks so amazing with her hair down! Yet I agree the LV gown lacks the WOW factor.
    I’m thinking since Fan is now a face of the Louis Vuitton campaign, we are probably gonna see her wearing more LV gowns in the coming days.>_<

11. f4fashion May 15, 2013 at 19:52 #

Eventhough the dress is nice, she has 11 other days to wear it. For the opening ceremony, we waited for Asian couture MAGIC!

• TR May 15, 2013 at 20:21 #

Sadly though, she won’t be in Cannes for long. She’s currently shooting for X-men and Bryan only allows her to leave for 4 days.

• Quinn May 15, 2013 at 22:05 #

oh no! now i’m sad!

12. TR May 15, 2013 at 20:24 #

I hate LV dresses and I’m very disappointed to see that as Fan just becomes LV’s China spokeswoman, she’s likely to wear more and more LV dresses on carpet.

13. Marybeth May 15, 2013 at 20:42 #

I am also sorry she didn’t give us the Asian gown we hoped for. She nevertheless looks lovely and at least has given us a sweeping, princessy gown. I like it.

14. Rebecca Z May 15, 2013 at 21:06 #

Pretty dress, but not exciting.

• Alina May 16, 2013 at 06:31 #

15. Aline May 15, 2013 at 21:22 #

If Fan Bingbing of all people went for something so understated, I don’t even know what to expect. Meh.

Her hair looks really good, though.

16. Alicat May 16, 2013 at 03:06 #

This is a very pretty feminine look. She is a gorgeous woman. I like the work on the bodice but it does not fit to perfection. One of my favourite looks.

17. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 04:20 #

I hope that she wears an Asian gown later in the festival because they’re always SO beautiful! This, however, is my favorite of the day–absolutely gorgeous. I do not usually like LV gowns, but here it is perfection. Beautiful. Hope she wears more amazing looks throughout the fest!!!! BDOTD!

18. ethan May 16, 2013 at 05:15 #

I love all the dresses she wears in the past.

19. the ogre May 16, 2013 at 05:52 #

ok im not too happy. actually this is a let down in my opinion especially coming from her. she looks beautiful no doubt but that is too much luscious material to handle. what’s the point of wearing a global brand when u cant make an impact altogether especially when u’ve been there done that in stuff that left people gasping for breath? one must always stick to their roots when one decides to do something different and unique…sigh!

20. Jess2 May 16, 2013 at 14:06 #

I also wish Fan would have treated us to another cultural delight but she looks so stunning in this gown. Congrtualtions to Louis Vuitton and Fan for making a little fashion history, Cannes certainly is the place for it.

21. Lewis May 16, 2013 at 14:31 #

This gown looks FANTASTIC for me. it is true that it lacks the wow factor, but how could she continuously wear the asian designer’s gown every year? she must’ve been bored of doing that. I have been bored of looking at that sort of dress as well. just wanted to c some pedestrian dress that can shine her natural beauty. Apparently this strapless gown fits her perfectly.

22. cat_not_kitty May 16, 2013 at 16:07 #

The fit is a travesty. Cannot believe this is a custom gown.