Opening Ceremony And 'The Great Gatsby' Premiere - The 66th Annual Cannes Film Festival

Fan Bingbing joined in the celebration of ‘The Great Gatsby’ Cannes Film Festival premiere, which also served as the opening ceremony.

Sadly, she didn’t use the occasion to showcase one of her countrymen’s Asian-inspired creations like she has done for the past three years at the opening ceremony; instead she wore a custom Louis Vuitton gown.

This is the first time the French fashion house has created a gown especially for an Asian actress.

The duchess satin strapless gown with a grey and red sequined bodice was styled with a Louis Vuitton minaudière and Chopard jewels.

Do you wish Fan Bingbing had kept up her opening ceremony tradition or are you too swept away by the lusciousness of the gown to consider this an issue?

Credit: Getty

31 thoughts on “Fan Bingbing In Louis Vuitton – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. Yeliz

I think she looks stunning nonetheless. I’m not always a fan of Louis Vuitton gowns, but they did a great job here.

2. Ruff

She looks so beautiful with her hair down. Less make up than usual doesn´t hurt also. The dress is Zzzzzzzz and the bodice doesnt fit to perfection, but I like her in this. For someone who usually looks like a geisha disguised as a Christmas tree this look is a huge improvement.

Custom made LV gowns are usually awful, btw.

3. Jennifer

I am sad that she didn’t wear a gown by an Asian designer as she has in the past.

This is beautiful, but lacking that Wow factor that I normally associate with Fan.

That being said – how she doesn’t have wrinkles in that gown amazes me.

4. petrelli

She just looks good, there’s something missin’ here. I don’t know if it’s the fabric but the gown looks too heavy for my likes.

5. Lola

Except for the train, which is very ott – and malplasse…this looks a lot like the dress my mother-in-law was wearing to her 25th wedding anniversary…which was not in any way shape or form made by LV

6. Stuart

She looks so amazing with her hair down! Yet I agree the LV gown lacks the WOW factor.
    I’m thinking since Fan is now a face of the Louis Vuitton campaign, we are probably gonna see her wearing more LV gowns in the coming days.>_<

7. f4fashion

Eventhough the dress is nice, she has 11 other days to wear it. For the opening ceremony, we waited for Asian couture MAGIC!

1. TR

Sadly though, she won’t be in Cannes for long. She’s currently shooting for X-men and Bryan only allows her to leave for 4 days.

8. TR

I hate LV dresses and I’m very disappointed to see that as Fan just becomes LV’s China spokeswoman, she’s likely to wear more and more LV dresses on carpet.

9. Marybeth

I am also sorry she didn’t give us the Asian gown we hoped for. She nevertheless looks lovely and at least has given us a sweeping, princessy gown. I like it.

10. Aline

If Fan Bingbing of all people went for something so understated, I don’t even know what to expect. Meh.

Her hair looks really good, though.

11. Alicat

This is a very pretty feminine look. She is a gorgeous woman. I like the work on the bodice but it does not fit to perfection. One of my favourite looks.

12. EmmaWoodhouse

I hope that she wears an Asian gown later in the festival because they’re always SO beautiful! This, however, is my favorite of the day–absolutely gorgeous. I do not usually like LV gowns, but here it is perfection. Beautiful. Hope she wears more amazing looks throughout the fest!!!! BDOTD!

13. the ogre

ok im not too happy. actually this is a let down in my opinion especially coming from her. she looks beautiful no doubt but that is too much luscious material to handle. what’s the point of wearing a global brand when u cant make an impact altogether especially when u’ve been there done that in stuff that left people gasping for breath? one must always stick to their roots when one decides to do something different and unique…sigh!

14. Jess2

I also wish Fan would have treated us to another cultural delight but she looks so stunning in this gown. Congrtualtions to Louis Vuitton and Fan for making a little fashion history, Cannes certainly is the place for it.

15. Lewis

This gown looks FANTASTIC for me. it is true that it lacks the wow factor, but how could she continuously wear the asian designer’s gown every year? she must’ve been bored of doing that. I have been bored of looking at that sort of dress as well. just wanted to c some pedestrian dress that can shine her natural beauty. Apparently this strapless gown fits her perfectly.