Carey Mulligan In Balenciaga - 'The Great Gatsby' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Carey Mulligan kicked off Cannes Film Festival this afternoon by attending a photocall for ‘The Great Gatsby’ at Palais des Festivals in France.

The British actress wore her second Balenciaga by Alexander Wang Fall 2013 look in a row following the Met Gala.

On this occasion she wore a very chic black jumpsuit featuring a circular beaded bodice with a bow accent, which she styled with Saint Laurent t-bar pumps.

Yes, she’s sticking to this minimalist approach to red carpet dressing for now, but maybe she’ll pull out all the stops for the premiere, which opens the festival officially this evening.

Makeup-wise, I see a touch more lip colour and kohl-rimmed eyes, which is more makeup than she’s worn in a while.

A simple chignon completed her look.

What are your expectations for Carey this evening?

Do you think the likes of Fan Bingbing outshine her at the premiere?

350514_in_xl

You can buy Carey’s Saint Laurent pumps from Net-A-Porter.com.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Rihanna In Meadham Kirchhoff - Hooray Henry's

Rihanna In Meadham Kirchhoff – Hooray Henry’s

Isla Fisher In Dolce & Gabbana - 'The Great Gatsby' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Isla Fisher In Dolce & Gabbana – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

41 Responses to Carey Mulligan In Balenciaga – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

1. Eseg May 15, 2013 at 12:38 #

Thank you! You’ve posted the photo very quickly :)

2. Olivia May 15, 2013 at 12:43 #

I really like this look for her. It’ simple, chic and perfect for a Cannes photo call. With regards to tonight, I hope she ditches these midi-dresses and goes for a gown. She’s not much of a ‘gown girl’ but this is Cannes, it’s go big or go home and she’s in great danger of being over shadowed tonight if she doesn’t.

3. Charlotte May 15, 2013 at 12:47 #

I like the jumpsuit, it works very well on her.
    A touch of color, maybe with the earrings would have been great.

4. Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 12:51 #

Simple, sleek and minimalistic, I really like this look. I don’t think she’ll go very big tonight, but I’m still expecting her to wow us.

5. DorianGray May 15, 2013 at 12:56 #

I like this look but the most beautiful accessory is her smile.

• Rebecca Z May 15, 2013 at 16:39 #

Totally agree. This is not my favorite thing she has ever worn, but she loves it and clearly is having a great time and that goes a long way to selling the look to me. Some of the other photos of her alone where you can see the cut the the pants really sell this look.

6. Emmeline May 15, 2013 at 13:01 #

She looks beautiful, very chic.

I assume she’ll continue her minimalism tonight at the premiere which means I think she has a good chance of being overshadowed, though I’m sure she’ll still look lovely.

7. Lee Ann May 15, 2013 at 13:02 #

This is not a look that I normally would like and in fact I think it looks dreadful on the model but Carey looks absolutely wonderful here- a breath of fresh air. I think if Fan Bing bong goes her normal route she will look like a carnival parade pony compared to Carey.

• Rashmi May 15, 2013 at 13:05 #

LOL!

• Lil's May 15, 2013 at 16:15 #

+1 for the carnival parade pony

• bijuk May 16, 2013 at 05:29 #

LOL.. agreed on the parade pony! :))

8. Rashmi May 15, 2013 at 13:02 #

She is beautiful, has a beautiful smile, and works the minimalistic approach the best! However, I really wish she goes all glam for the premiere ( Like her role in the movie ;) )

9. Lee Ann May 15, 2013 at 13:03 #

Was going to add to my note above: fashion has changed and overly dramatic designs look very passe

• Milla B. May 15, 2013 at 13:39 #

True. I believe is Raf Simons’s fault … or merit, its depends on the point of view ;)

• Lee Ann May 15, 2013 at 16:25 #

I think it’s just fashion. Fashionista.com has a really interesting article showing how Celine, Raf and Prada almost directly copied looks from designers of many many years ago. So what he is doing is hardly new just reflection and reinvention of the times.

10. Scarlett May 15, 2013 at 13:15 #

I’d like to have seen a little splash of colour here but she looks great. She wore a really pretty, but simple gown last time she hit the Palais so I hope we get a repeat of that, but I agree, if you’re ever going to go for glamour, Cannes is the place to do it.

11. Alicat May 15, 2013 at 13:22 #

I do like her in this. It looks elegant and chic. The circular bodice gives just enough quirkiness. Even the little bit of extra colour in her makeup looks wonderful. She is definitely not a frou frou girl and simplicity is definitely more her style, and I do believe one should be true to their intrinsic style to look relaxed and authentic. I did love her looks in the US Vogue photo shoot. Perhaps something in that line would be glam enough for tonight, but she would have to step up in the makeup department..

12. TeaAtTwo May 15, 2013 at 13:24 #

This is nice enough but I wish she’d ditch the T-bar shoes. The minimalist theme is elegant but she can wear colour even if it’s white.

13. Jellos May 15, 2013 at 13:27 #

Lovely. But this hair stlye makes her look older. Btw, there are pics from Kidman yesterday.

14. dee May 15, 2013 at 13:48 #

I think this is a good photocall look. Hopefully she brings it later on for the premiere.

15. Neli May 15, 2013 at 13:56 #

Boring! Probaly Fan Bingbing will outshine her at the premiere!

16. Neli May 15, 2013 at 13:57 #

Boring zzzzzzzzzz
    For sure Fan Bingbing will outshine her at the premiere.

17. Jai May 15, 2013 at 14:11 #

Platform pumps. Ugh.

18. Nat May 15, 2013 at 14:14 #

I like me some minimalism, but this look is plain boring.
    And quite inappropriate for the location, in my opinion. You’re at Cannes, wear something less dull and serious looking!

19. Christine May 15, 2013 at 14:22 #

This is still a boring look.

20. kane May 15, 2013 at 14:28 #

I fine with all the minimalism, especially when executed like this.

• kane May 15, 2013 at 14:29 #

Insert “am” where appropriate, sorry!

21. Ala May 15, 2013 at 14:45 #

I don’t know who this guy is on the right, but he’s upstaging Carey AND Leo… that is an interesting well put together ensemble, not quite predictable, and refreshing… that’s where my eye is drawn when I look at the picture. I have to struggle to keep my interest on Carey/Leo.

• dee May 15, 2013 at 14:53 #

He is the director.

22. Moxie May 15, 2013 at 14:52 #

The jumpsuit is pretty, if boring. But her face is far too pale. And the hairstyle isn’t helping.

23. Rach May 15, 2013 at 14:59 #

This is fine for a Cannes photo call,I think I prefer Isla’s look though. I’m still not sure about her hair being so blonde either, it seems to wash her out a little and especially with the minimal make-up too.
    I love her minimalist approach but there’s no reason that can’t be glam on the red carpet tonight. She as a whole other film to promote later in the week too, so whatever happens tonight, she’ll get a second stab at things on Sunday.

24. ash May 15, 2013 at 15:03 #

I’m a little disappointed but considering it’s just photocall…. Hope she’d do better at the premiere.
    btw even it’s a photocall, those shoes are still not good.not good at all.

25. Susan May 15, 2013 at 15:15 #

I’m going to have to go with pretty boring.

26. fromchi-town May 15, 2013 at 15:24 #

This is very much her style – minimalistic and simple, and still it is a notch above her usual looks. Like it.

27. Noemi May 15, 2013 at 15:25 #

I think she looks good, I like the jumpsuit and the shoes and the touch of make up. I don’t expect something particularly “wow” for the evening.
    But… who cares of her and Fan BingBing? I wanna see DiCaprio!!

28. Jess May 15, 2013 at 16:42 #

I adore this look and I’m not even the type who usually goes for jumpsuits. She looks very chic and effortless although I’m not too fond of the clunky sandals.

Does anyone know where or if this jumpsuit is on sale?

29. Anj May 15, 2013 at 17:05 #

This jumpsuit looks good on her. I haven’t liked any other she’s worn recently. I am getting tired though of the whole black jumpsuit bandwagon she’s on.

30. Rubysaurusrex May 15, 2013 at 18:46 #

Tasteful, simple, but red-carpet worthy.
    Is there Carey cannot pull off?
    She’s worked it beautifully, methinks.

Especially when amongst the many many updates you’ve made today it’s still one I kept going back to (second to Nicole Kidman’s Dior gown, woooft!!). Alex W is quite the genius for bringing up that silhouette – finally a flattering strapless shape (no arm fat coming up on the sides, hello).

31. Aline May 15, 2013 at 21:33 #

What an interesting jumpsuit! She looks lovely and is pulling this off so well!

• CreoleLady May 15, 2013 at 22:38 #

I agree! On the model, not so much, which is why I’m surprised about how much I like it on Mulligan.

32. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 04:01 #

I find this very boring and unflattering. Not a fan. Carey is lovely, her smile is delightful, and her hair and makeup are fresh and soft. But the jumpsuit (and the heavy shoes)–a big mistake imo.