Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture – 2013 Met Gala

Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture - 2013 Met Gala

The Met Gala theme for 2013 is ‘PUNK: Chaos to Couture’. The evening was kick started by one of the co-chairs, Rooney Mara.

We should not be surprised that the actress was wearing a Givenchy Couture look, but for an event of this magnitude, I am very surprised that her look, whilst modified, has been worn once before.

Back in May 2011, Penelope Cruz wore this white lace look at the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’ London premiere.

The difference is that Rooney’s Couture gown features an additional lace detailing on the shoulders which cascades down the front of her zipper-accented gown.

Shunning the fresh face trend, she opted for a black currant lip colour with her dark locks tied back into a neat ponytail.

I don’t know about you – even putting Penelope Cruz’ similar look aside, I still have a strong case of déjà vu.

This is the not the first, or the second, but a third time she has donned a lace Givenchy Couture look.

Maybe Rooney and Riccardo Tisci need a plan B. Plan A is tired already.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Sarah Jessica Parker's MiH Jeans Heart Print T-Shirt And MiH Jeans Breathless Skinny Jeans

Sarah Jessica Parker’s MiH Jeans Heart Print T-Shirt And MiH Jeans Breathless Skinny Jeans

Anna Wintour In Chanel Couture - 2013 Met Gala

Anna Wintour In Chanel Couture – 2013 Met Gala

45 Responses to Rooney Mara In Givenchy Couture – 2013 Met Gala

1. Ramsay May 7, 2013 at 00:15 #

This is way betee thsn Peneloppe in my opinion – and the best of her Givenchy white lace dresses

• Rashmi May 7, 2013 at 00:23 #

+1 she rocks it! Best givenchy look for her

• Christine May 7, 2013 at 01:16 #

Thank goodness it’s not black! She looks good!

• Luis May 7, 2013 at 00:42 #

• Mandy May 7, 2013 at 01:05 #

+3 The details are gorgeous.

• Anj May 7, 2013 at 03:34 #

Agree. She looks so stunning. One of the best dressed. She looked better than Penelope and just because it’s white and lacy doesn’t mean it looks like her other dresses-it doesn’t nor does this dress even look like what Penelope wore. She looks so great and she pulls off the hair and makeup so well.

2. Kathy May 7, 2013 at 00:17 #

No deja vu for me because this dress is long-sleeved and also has the shoulder detail. The front also makes it more unique than her other Givenchy gowns. I like the look, but not with the dark lip. I’m a firm believer in red lips with white.

3. GiGi May 7, 2013 at 00:18 #

This looks entirely different from what Penelope wore. And much better. I like it – even though she does seem a bit trapped in a white rut.

4. EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2013 at 00:19 #

I like the intricate ruffling and delicate lace, but I do NOT like the plunging neckline, the high slit, or the strong case of deja vu I’m getting. It reminds me of last year’s Met Gala Look (because of the lace) and several white Givenchy looks she’s worn.

• Kathy May 7, 2013 at 00:24 #

You’re really not a fan of plunging necklines, are you? LOL I always see you commenting about them (not hating at all, please don’t take offense). I agree for the most part. Plunging necklines are hard to pull off while still preserving some dignity. Too often they can make the wearer look desperate. Personally I don’t think that’s the case here because the rest of the dress is relatively demure.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2013 at 00:32 #

LOL that IS my go-to comment. I realize it’s a bit overplayed but I do find them tacky. It’s just a part of the body that I don’t think should be exposed–I prefer a subtler look. :) However it isn’t just a modesty issue here, as I think the plunge makes her looks too wide–especially with the bold shoulders. But you caught me! I’m often shaking my head over jumpsuits as well, but I secretly like one or another. I vowed never to like a dungaree jumpsuit, and the next thing I know Ashley Madekwe wears one and looks fab!!! *Shakes fist* Haha! :D

• AG May 7, 2013 at 05:02 #

I’ve noticed that’s your go-to comment too! (Not hating either by the way :) )I think it’s a fair enough opinion but I often don’t mind a plunging neckline as long as long as there isn’t too much boobage! On someone with a smaller chest I think it can be sexy in a tasteful way.

5. Prudence May 7, 2013 at 00:19 #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. BEST LOOK OF HERS TO DATE. SHE KILLED IT.

6. Neli May 7, 2013 at 00:23 #

deja vu

7. CreoleLady May 7, 2013 at 00:28 #

Honestly, I thought I had somehow stumbled into some kind of RFCA wayback machine. White, again? I’m too bored to be disappointed. Next.

8. Michelle May 7, 2013 at 00:32 #

Amazing! Definetly BDOTW worthy, if it isn’t broken why try to fix it?

9. shontay May 7, 2013 at 00:32 #

I love this. My best dressed so far. It works for her and I don’t feel it’s a retread at all.

10. Sheyenne May 7, 2013 at 00:33 #

I don’t need to see anyone else. She’s best dressed!

11. Marco May 7, 2013 at 00:40 #

She works Givenchy, this brand seems suited on her and I also think that she donned the punk theme so well being couture and not avril lavigne at all

12. Nat39 May 7, 2013 at 00:43 #

I’m loving it regardless. The gown is fantastic on her, and I’m loving the slicked back hair and bold lippie here.

• Yeliz May 7, 2013 at 02:03 #

Me too.

• dee May 7, 2013 at 16:52 #

Same here.

13. noo May 7, 2013 at 00:48 #

I love it, it’s her best givenchy outing imo and it doesn’t remind me of penelope’s look!

14. Dirk May 7, 2013 at 00:50 #

I’m *kind of* feeling it.

I wish she’d branch out more though. I feel like she just keeps picking the same dress over and over in either black or white.

15. Sterling Silver May 7, 2013 at 00:59 #

wowza!!! just spectacular!

16. dunzoo May 7, 2013 at 01:04 #

let’s see.. lace Givenchy couture gown + dark lipstick. Groundhog day, anyone ?

17. justme May 7, 2013 at 01:16 #

I’m usually not a fan of Rooney’s style but I love this look.
    It’s more goth than punk but it still fits the theme without being too costume-y.
    No complaints from me.

18. kane May 7, 2013 at 01:50 #

I can see your point, Rooney in white is a liiittle bit too familiar to still have the WOW! effect, but she does rock it. Not too crazy about the shoes though.

19. Nat May 7, 2013 at 02:16 #

Not impressed and I was expecting she to rock it on this red carpet.

20. joshua May 7, 2013 at 04:20 #

she looks amazing in givenchy really love this look and i will explain

1. its lace
    2. its white
    3. it fits the theme

21. AG May 7, 2013 at 04:41 #

Love everything about this! The dress, shoes, hair, dark lip…perfection! Not fussed about it being a bit déjà vu, it’s that good. Best dressed!

22. P. May 7, 2013 at 06:41 #

Really fond of the overall look, but Mr. Tisci really needs some new inspirations… His designs always give me déjà vu at its highest level. I think Gisele wore an adaptation from this look at the MET 2012. I mean, same occasion, similar designs??? He could’ve made more an effort.

23. Noemi May 7, 2013 at 07:10 #

Not punk at all, I expected more from her and Tisci, but this dress is absolutely amazing.

24. Ioana May 7, 2013 at 08:39 #

I browsed all the looks from Met Gala and she is styll my fave of the night.

Maybe the dress does not scream “PUNK” in your face, but the details, the lace, plus the perfect make up, makes it event appropriate and great.

25. Vida May 7, 2013 at 09:11 #

I love that she can do punk in white lace, it could have been a disaster. Love that she unzipped it unlike the look-book.

26. bb May 7, 2013 at 10:24 #

It’s a very big deja-vu to me, as Victoria Beckham wore a very similar Armani dress to the same event few years back.

27. e May 7, 2013 at 10:50 #

I can’t help but love her in this dress…

28. jo May 7, 2013 at 15:26 #

Even with a small deja vu feeling I love it, I think it’s her best look so far and it definitely fits the theme.

29. Moxie May 7, 2013 at 16:10 #

Beautiful, but nothing new for her.

30. Dan Oliver May 7, 2013 at 17:37 #

Yes I have seen similar styles before but I do think she looks amazing love the zip detailing she rocks it out

31. Annabel May 7, 2013 at 21:17 #

WHERE’S THE PUNK!??!?!! are you kidding me?

32. Parvati May 8, 2013 at 00:01 #

I didn’t remember that was a re-run, but still, I was disappointed because it instantly reminded me of the Givenchy Couture dress she wore at the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo premiere.

33. Jess2 May 8, 2013 at 11:27 #

Very predictable with a side of déjà vu. Nice but done to death.

34. Clara May 8, 2013 at 21:23 #

This look(with very few modifications) was also Vanessa Traina’s(Danielle Steel daughter) wedding gown. The wedding and the dress were on Vogue.

35. TeaAtTwo May 8, 2013 at 22:44 #

Rooney, Florence, Amanda Seyfried wore the Givenchy dress that looked good and Carine Roitfeld looked quite in her outfit. Much better than the custom Tisci creations of the night.