26.02.13

Jennifer Lawrence In Calvin Klein – 2013 Vanity Fair Party

Jennifer Lawrence In Calvin Klein - 2013 Vanity Fair Party

Aside from her Oscar win, Jennifer Lawrence’s other silver lining at the 2013 Academy Awards might just have been her dazzling Vanity Fair party gown, which was glimpsed at Sunset Tower in Los Angeles, California.

After experiencing every starlet’s worst nightmare—falling on Hollywood’s biggest night—the ‘Silver Linings Playbook’ actress exchanged her voluminous Dior ball gown for a custom Calvin Klein dress that was easier to walk in.

This body-con, glittery gunmetal creation was completely out of character for the unembellished, plain-Jane Jennifer we’ve seen lately. And it was marvelous just for that reason.

In particular, I’m applauding the sculpted bodice and the straps; a genius new direction from that same-old strapless silhouette.

It doesn’t hurt that this liquid metallic look matched her Oscar perfectly.

Stacks of bronze, gem-encrusted bangles and a pair of matching drop earrings topped off the ensemble.

Did Jennifer win you over with her shiny new style on Sunday night?

Credit: Getty

Solange Knowles In Emilio Pucci - 2013 Vanity Fair Party

Solange Knowles In Emilio Pucci – 2013 Vanity Fair Party

Diane Kruger In Giambattista Valli Couture - 2013 Vanity Fair Party

Diane Kruger In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2013 Vanity Fair Party

60 Responses to Jennifer Lawrence In Calvin Klein – 2013 Vanity Fair Party

1. Hannah February 26, 2013 at 02:03 #

LOVE. Drop dead gorgeous.

• Christine February 26, 2013 at 03:26 #

That is one crazy sick cool gown. She looks good.

• mm February 26, 2013 at 15:37 #

Love how you put that, so true

• gabis February 27, 2013 at 18:43 #

+1!

2. Liz February 26, 2013 at 02:04 #

LOVE this dress on her. She should have worn this one to the show.

• Alexandra Wong February 26, 2013 at 03:01 #

My thoughts exactly. The Oscars Red Carpet itself was snoozeville, unfortunately, because everybody was just playing too safe.

3. Cinders February 26, 2013 at 02:11 #

I love this! I agree that she should have worn this dress for the main event. I can’t wait until her commitment to Dior is over because it hasn’t done her favors.

• Foteini P. February 26, 2013 at 02:16 #

stunning!!! Loved to have seen her accept her oscar in this dress!

• admmgz February 26, 2013 at 16:12 #

I literally just laughed out loud! My thoughts exactly! :)

“I can’t wait until her commitment to Dior is over because it hasn’t done her favors”

• S-R February 27, 2013 at 21:08 #

+1 ! SQUEEEEEEEEEE. I am so in love with this look! She looks incredible!! That Dior did nothing for her, in my opinion. I, in fact, hated the Oscar look.

4. Kate February 26, 2013 at 02:11 #

I LOVE this look on her! Everything about this is working for me.

5. Prudence February 26, 2013 at 02:15 #

how did her stylist not realize she should have worn this to the ceremony??? not only would she not have fallen but she would have looked 100times hotter/better/not basic

6. jeremyrain February 26, 2013 at 02:16 #

Someone said on 1 post about Jennifer Lawrence that the Dior partnership clearly not working for her, and CK is a more suitable. And this is the evidence.

• admmgz February 26, 2013 at 16:13 #

7. Molly February 26, 2013 at 02:16 #

Aside from wanting to pull the gown up, I LOVE everything about this. Its really too bad that she didnt wear this for the ceremony instead because I think this is much more flattering on Jennifer than the Dior. Jen is a Calvin Klein girl, she has the body and the relaxed attitude for it, not Dior, they dont seem to know how to dress her body.

• MaddyEliza February 26, 2013 at 02:21 #

• MaddyEliza February 26, 2013 at 02:21 #

Although I have to say, the Oscars Dior gown is the first one I’ve liked on her…

8. Leo February 26, 2013 at 02:17 #

Sooooooooo much better than that Dior mess.

9. Erin February 26, 2013 at 02:22 #

Love, love, love it!
    Gorgeous bodice, and so much more flattering than her Dior gown.

10. Emmeline February 26, 2013 at 02:22 #

This is the first time I’ve truly hated her partnership with Dior because this dress would have been stunning at the actual ceremony. Everything about this look is perfect to me.

11. MaddyEliza February 26, 2013 at 02:23 #

She has been getting so much better lately. She looks great!

12. asherlev1 February 26, 2013 at 02:33 #

Honestly, Charlize was my number one pick of the red carpet, but I would give the entire night to JLaw for this dress! GORGEOUS

13. Anj February 26, 2013 at 02:34 #

Oooh yeah, this is what I’m talking about! I wasn’t a big fan of her Dior dress although I did appreciate the fabric and dramatic poof.

This dress, on the other hand, is a solid win on all fronts. She is the belle of the after-parties for sure.

14. Rebecca Z February 26, 2013 at 02:36 #

Takes a huge amount of confidence to wear this gown as it shows every ounce on your frame. I loved the Dior and I like this one as well. This child is 22 years old and fabulous!

15. Teleholic February 26, 2013 at 03:00 #

This is one of my favorite ever looks from her.

16. Kathy February 26, 2013 at 03:15 #

She looks spectacular! The bodice is a bit low but it doesn’t show enough boobage to be Katy-Perry-at-the-Grammys trashy, so it can be forgiven. Definitely different from her sweet and feminine Dior gown. More modern, more fierce, and makes just as much of an impact. I (politely) disagree with everyone who is saying that her Dior collaboration is a huge mistake. I don’t really think she is a “victim” in this case. I get the sense that some of you think poor Jen is being forced to be a slim, Parisian brunette puppet of sorts. But clearly collaborations like this are two-sided. Jennifer obviously had a say in the matter, and I think it’s a good thing that she is stepping out of her boundaries a bit. Like I’ve said before, she’s way too young to just limit herself to the laid-back, Californian look. Why not do something a little out of the ordinary for her age & personality?

• Eve_V February 26, 2013 at 05:30 #

Finally! I couldn’t have put it better. While her and Dior might not be the most obvious choice, and sometimes it doesn’t quite work, but I actually loved several of her Dior looks, starting with the one at SLP premiere at TIFF. Also, from the looks of it their collaboration is not exclusive, she wore plenty of other designers. And if she wanted to experiment with timeless design houses, Dior is certainly not the worst option (imagine her and Chanel together). Plus, I don’t think that a lot of people would be happy if she went the Blake Lively path and stuck to the same all-out-sexy body-con dresses all the time (even though she totally has the body for it). Why am I ranting? Oops, sorry.

I thought she looked gorgeous earlier in the night in her Dior gown – it looked beautiful in motion, and was styled perfectly, AND it was a better choice considering the venue. This dress, however, is a total knock-out, but it would not have looked good in the daylight.

• julyol1972 February 26, 2013 at 08:27 #

Agree! I think she made the right choice with her Oscars gown. Mishap aside, I don’t think she would have been as comfortable in this dress since it was such a big occasion. I could totally see her fidgeting all night at the awards in such a body conscious dress. At the after party she can relax and be her hot 22 year old self.

17. Samiya February 26, 2013 at 03:18 #

♥ ♥ ♥ it!! after her Dior gown at the Oscars i thought u couldn’t top that!! but she did!!! Dang girl! U go! ^_^

18. TeaAtTwo February 26, 2013 at 03:24 #

The Dior was romantic epic look, this feels more contemporary evening glitz for a 22 year old. But I really want to yank the dress up, it’s sitting too low.

19. Salimah February 26, 2013 at 03:26 #

omg why did she not choose this for the ceremony? SHE LOOKS AMAZING. her dior dress was a terrible choice

20. EmmaWoodhouse February 26, 2013 at 03:44 #

Much preferred the Dior, myself, though I’m clearly in the minority. This, though the gunmetal shimmering fabric is beautiful, is just too low cut and revealing for me. Jennifer is beautiful, her styling is beautiful, but the whole bodice of the dress is wrong imo.

21. Rocio Fuentes February 26, 2013 at 03:54 #

OMG!! Looove this dress

22. Aline February 26, 2013 at 04:03 #

What a breath of fresh air! A relieved ‘finally’ left my lips when I saw this. This is true to her style and personality. I absolutely love it and this is coming from someone who usually dislikes Calvin Klein. I don’t know if CK is exactly her brand, but this dress in particular is great for her and should have been her choice for the ceremony.

23. Nishta February 26, 2013 at 04:04 #

I love this dress and this look but it seems like a rather forgettable dress to me. It’s stunning but so is every other glittery body con dress out there. To me the Dior gown was more dramatic and befitting of an Oscar winner at the Oscars.

24. Gloria February 26, 2013 at 04:07 #

Does anyone think that Jennifer may have been obligated to wear Dior because of her contract with Dior? Did Dior let her down by not teaching her how to wear such complicated (SAC Awards)and hard-to-maneuver in (Oscars) gowns, especially considering her age? Or a stylist if she had one?

• Sara February 28, 2013 at 16:39 #

she is a self-admitted klutz, and doesn’t like to wear heels…. Could you imagine winning an Oscar and walking up those stairs? Trips happen ;)

25. Yeliz February 26, 2013 at 05:34 #

Jennifer really wowed me last night. This look is as good as her Dior look. The dress looks fantastic on her, I have no complaints. But if I had to pick a favourite, it would be her spectacular Dior gown.

26. rebecca o February 26, 2013 at 06:52 #

So much better than the Dior dress.

27. the ogre February 26, 2013 at 07:02 #

wow! this is picture perfect! even though i liked the dior she wore to the oscars, i think this suits her more. she looks refined and comfortable in this and it proves that she can actually step it up when she wants to. so happy so fresh! i felt so bad for her when she fell but that’s ok. she’s young and she won an oscar!!!!

28. Beta February 26, 2013 at 07:38 #

the Dior is winning me over with time. She looked incredibly cute when she fell (no wonder, it was impossible not to trip with that dress!!).
    But it’s this look im obssesed with, she’s smoldering, drop dead gorgeous!!
    Perfection, she has a figure TDF and this dress hugs her the right way :)

• admmgz February 26, 2013 at 16:21 #

29. Elise February 26, 2013 at 07:48 #

I believe the choice of the Dior gown was appropiate for the ceremony, it was a Oscar gown, fall included. This one is perfect for the VF party.

30. Cheryl February 26, 2013 at 07:53 #

That neckline isn’t too low, it’s fine. Besides, the dress was made for models without womanly curves like Jennifer. I loved both looks but this one knocked it out of the park. I feel like Dior should go back to using more mature actresses as spokespeople. I understand the method behind the madness. Trying to attract a wider, younger audience. But after the Dior campaign shots, I’m still hopeful we can find a Dior/Jennifer Lawrence moment we can all agree we love.

31. Andy February 26, 2013 at 09:06 #

I love this dress on her. Sexy and elegant at the same time. I love this so much more than her Oscars dress.

32. justme February 26, 2013 at 10:38 #

This is an amazing look for Jennifer. Love, love, love the dress, makeup, hair, everything.

I’m glad she wore the Dior gown to the main even because even if I didn’t like it, the voluminous skirt made the fall look pretty. Had she stumbled in this dress, it would have been a disaster.

33. Michele February 26, 2013 at 10:56 #

Looooove this. I liked her Dior dress too, and I understand why she would wear it to the main event – it’s much more of an “event” dress when one billion people are watching you. But this is simply “eat your heart out” fantastic, and the contrast between the two makes me love it more.

I’ve read this site for a couple of years, and I think I’ve now commented twice – would love to see this one for BDOTW.

34. Betelgeuze February 26, 2013 at 11:01 #

Adore adore adore. This dress looks really great on her, gives her a gorgeous silhouette and that oomph none of the Dior gowns had. The fabric is simply stunning. She looks gorgeous.

35. sasa February 26, 2013 at 12:18 #

This is wonderful on her, I much prefer it to the Dior. My only complaint is the one I have with Jennifer on regular basis: the hair! She should try a short(er) do, I think it would look much better on her.

36. Marina February 26, 2013 at 12:34 #

That is one. hot. dress. Wow. I love the bodice and the straps too. She looks really, really good.

37. Iloveclothesnshoes February 26, 2013 at 12:55 #

She looks stunning except that her tummy looks huge in this dress!

38. dee February 26, 2013 at 13:34 #

This is what I am talking about. She looks hot!!! Love this dress, hated her Dior gown. that looked like a wedding gown. This is so her. Wish she worn this for the ceremony.

39. Moxie February 26, 2013 at 14:57 #

If she’d worn this one to the awards she probably wouldn’t have tripped going up the steps to accept her award.

I love both of her gowns, but I think this is my favorite.

40. B February 26, 2013 at 15:38 #

Holy smoke!! Thats why i keep saying she should have been Calvin Klein girl, not Dior. This dress fits her every pore. Just woww..

41. kathryn February 26, 2013 at 17:51 #

LOVE!!! This is the Jennifer we have been missing since the Hunger Games promotional tour. I honestly wish she’d worn this dress to the actual event.

42. Amy February 26, 2013 at 17:56 #

That body is insane. She looks great

43. Amanda February 26, 2013 at 21:54 #

I love this! She looks terrible in Dior. This is such a better choice!

44. Dani February 27, 2013 at 02:04 #

I love this dress a lot a lot, but I think she made the right choice by going with the Dior at the ceremony. That dress will go down in Oscars fashion history, whereas this one would have been lovely but forgettable.

45. Nat February 27, 2013 at 14:37 #

Wayyyy better than her Oscar dress. I can’t wait to her Dior partnership end.

46. Jess2 March 9, 2013 at 08:30 #

I am really happy for Jennifer with regards to her win of course but also with regards to her fashion on her biggest night, because as we all know, things haven’t been great. My very first reaction to her Dior gown was ‘oh no’ but I quickly came to realise how magnificent she looked. This CK dress was the perfect topper to a perfect evening for her and while I am happy that Dior finally came through, this is a phenomenal look from Jennifer and I continue to believe that she does so well in different designers. I look forward to what comes next for Jennifer, such a wonderful achievement :)