Amanda Seyfried In Balenciaga – ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

Amanda Seyfried was the first to arrive on the red carpet this evening in London’s Leicester Square for the world premiere of ‘Les Miserables’.

We all know that Amanda isn’t afraid to take risks on the red carpet, but even I was shocked by her choice on this occasion.

She donned a futuristic-flamenco Balenciaga Spring 2013 look.

Her sexy black-and-white ensemble, featuring a peplum bustier top and ruffled skirt with asymmetrical lines, was styled with some uninspiring black pumps and sultry side-swept curls.

While I like this look on Amanda, I prefer it on the runway, from the length of the skirt to its positioning.

This is our second look from the Balenciaga Spring 2013 collection to hit the red carpet in a week.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Solange Knowles For Harper's Baazar US

Solange Knowles For Harper’s Baazar US

Eddie Redmayne In Burberry Prorsum -  ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

Eddie Redmayne In Burberry Prorsum – ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

37 Responses to Amanda Seyfried In Balenciaga – ‘Les Miserables’ London Premiere

1. robbie December 5, 2012 at 18:44 #

such a sexy look needs sexy shoes not those ugly bricks attached to her feet.

• noo December 5, 2012 at 19:05 #

makes me sad :(

• Linda December 5, 2012 at 20:21 #

Me too. This would have been great with a sexy high sandal…

2. Jones19 December 5, 2012 at 18:47 #

Good lord…how tragic. The sad thing is that this had real potential to be amazing but alas.

• Petra December 5, 2012 at 18:56 #

I still don’t get why aren’t the celebrities taking cues from the runway styling ! Both of the recent Balenciaga looks were far better on the runway.

• Christine December 6, 2012 at 02:10 #

It lost the flair or spark on her, sadly.

• tiffany December 6, 2012 at 20:04 #

+3 – alas, indeed. Just no!

3. Nat39 December 5, 2012 at 18:54 #

Unusual choice but not a succesful one – the sculpted dress is not producing the right shape on Amanda’s body, the skirt is hanging awkwardly at a longer length. Angelababy’s version worked much better for her figure and for the event she was attending. And the boring heavy pumps are a major let down.

4. Anne December 5, 2012 at 18:57 #

I want to give this a ALMOST! The positioning of the skirt, as you mention FC, is what keeps it from being perfect. Well, and those monstrosities on her feet. ALMOST, Amanda

• Laura December 6, 2012 at 17:37 #

If she were walking with her left foot forward, I bet the positioning would be just like it is on the model.

5. justme December 5, 2012 at 19:04 #

She took a risky ensemble and dull it all the way down, what’s the point? Ugh. Double ugh for those shoes.

• manja December 6, 2012 at 09:27 #

hahah good one justme,and 100% true

6. dee December 5, 2012 at 19:14 #

I don’t like this at all.

7. gabis December 5, 2012 at 19:22 #

I truly love it on the runway. On Amanda even though the bustier top fits perfectly the ruffled skirt is so painfully wrong and misshaped it brings the whole look down. The platfotm pumps make everything from her waist down looks even more awkward.
    Hair and makeup are simply ok.

8. Grace Patricia December 5, 2012 at 20:26 #

It would’ve been a great hit if the skirt was as it is on the model.

9. Dhppy December 5, 2012 at 20:27 #

Surprisingly to me, I kind of like this. And I’ve never been a Nicolas Ghesquière fan. The only real mistake I see is that a gown like this, puts a spotlight on the shoes, so they had better be show stoppers. These shoes are killing the look. If ever there were a “what other shoes would you pick for this outfit?” poll pic, it’s this one.

10. Nat December 5, 2012 at 20:31 #

Not her best look, but I don’t hate it either.
    Her hair and makeup were flawless, though.
    However, I get it that now celebrities want to wear Spring 2013 outfits, but honestly this thing baffles me sometimes: poor Amanda here was literally freezing for the entire time (something like two hours) she was on the red carpet…

11. felicia December 5, 2012 at 20:34 #

Her hair and make-up truely is flawless.
    The shoes and minimal accessories are great.
    She looks amazing from the waist up, I agree that the positioning of the skirt is bad. In my opinion it takes away the “wow” factor but over-all she looks great.
    My heart does belong to the runway version though. Beautiful and fierce!

12. Odette December 5, 2012 at 22:27 #

The runway version is perfect for Amanda or Megan Fox. But I don’t know what possessed Amanda’s stylist to have it altered from the runway.

Also, her shoes are horrible. A sexy sandal is in order.

13. Lee Ann December 5, 2012 at 22:41 #

Now I know why he doesn’t design anymore. Did she and Anne have a hideous dress competition?

If so they tied. They are both wearing the ugliest dresses I have ever seen

• jd December 6, 2012 at 01:51 #

+1 lol

14. Yeliz December 5, 2012 at 22:46 #

This ensemble definitely looks better on the model, but for some reason, I do love it on Amanda too. Her hair and make-up is gorgeous, but the shoes have to go.

15. Leeann December 5, 2012 at 22:57 #

Did she and Anne have a hideous dress competition? If so its a draw. They are both wearing the ugliest dresses that I have ever seen.

16. TeaAtTwo December 5, 2012 at 22:59 #

I like top half of the look, the hair and make are great though the bustier seems to be sitting a tad low. The skirt’s fit is dreadful, it looks as if it has it had been caught in the waistband. Pumps make sense given the cold weather but they needn’t have so heavy and ugly.

17. moja31 December 5, 2012 at 23:34 #

well it needed different shoes, that’s for sure. It could have been amazing, but instead it’s a little sad.

18. EmmaWoodhouse December 6, 2012 at 00:57 #

This is one of the most hideous dresses I’ve ever seen. The top is like a trashy Madonna corset. The bottom is flamenco on crack and also makes her look pearshaped, which she is not. The shoes are terrible too. The only thing I like here is her hair.

19. Amber December 6, 2012 at 01:11 #

very awkward.

20. TeaAtTwo December 6, 2012 at 01:24 #

FC, what do you think about Alexander Wang heading to Balenciaga?

• Fashion Critic December 6, 2012 at 09:03 #

I will wait and see what he produces.

21. Markness December 6, 2012 at 05:27 #

I love it! I maybe in the minority here but I think it was made like that to compensate for the length of the runway version. I think her stylist wants something more “black tie” so it had to be longer. I just wish the ruffles were more perky like it was on the runway.

22. Jess2 December 6, 2012 at 05:30 #

I really liked this dress on the runway but Amanda’s version is hideous from the waist down. The change in hemline really destroys this look. Her stylist was not having a good day when they decided to change the dress from the runway. This would have been an awesome look had she kept the runway length. On a positive note, her hair and makeup is beautiful.

23. bas December 6, 2012 at 08:27 #

I must say I abosutely hate the dress, and those shoes are not helping at all.

24. Noemi (WBiS) December 6, 2012 at 09:23 #

This is one of my favorites look from Balenciaga collection, but I don’t like it on her. I agree with you, FC, about the length and the position of the skirt. But I also think that I wouldn’t like her, anyway. I don’t like the styling, the shoes are boring and too heavy. This look deserved something/someone better.

25. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang December 6, 2012 at 15:07 #

We certainly recognized this dress is from Balenciaga creation because we saw this dress in midriff version from Angelababy in Mnet music awards lately. We adore the plunging neckline and the dramatic ruffle detail of the lower skirt on Amanda. Love her side swept tresses and understated makeup until we saw the uninspiring heavy black pumps that should be ditched with sexy strappy sandals, if not for that pumps, Amanda will definitely be our BDOTW contender, what a shame!!

26. Laura December 6, 2012 at 17:40 #

The problem is Amanda is standing still whilst the model is stepping forward with her left foot. I think that is the major difference.

27. Amy December 6, 2012 at 19:19 #

bad. so awkward. The runway version is nice but Amanda’s look is just plain ugly. And I’m not even talking about the shoes

28. Kathy December 7, 2012 at 02:58 #

The placement of the ruffles is off, and that makes her hips look wider than they actually are. And what is up with the length? On the model the skirt hits below-high at the lowest and on Amanda it’s almost to her ankles. (Her shoes aren’t helping either.) I like the concept of the dress, but unfortunately that is not translating well onto Amanda.