15.10.12

This November marks the 40th anniversary of W magazine and the start of a year long celebration of their rich history of storytelling through fashion photography.

The oversized November anniversary issue, which hits national newsstands on October 23, features Keira Knightley, Mia Wasikowska, Rooney Mara and Scarlett Johansson who were transformed into an iconic look from the past four decades for each of their covers which were shot by Steven Klein.

Keira channels the 00s wearing a Chanel tweed jacket, red hot lips and a platinum blonde Tilda Swinton-esqe do.

Wearing a flame-coloured wig and striking eye makeup, Mia channels the 80s donning a Balenciaga dress with colourful Solange Azagury-Partridge statement earrings.

Sporting a bob hairdo, Rooney channels the 70s wearing Prada and an Albertus Swanepoel hat.

Even with the nose ring and two-tone hair, Scarlett still oozes sex appeal wearing Dolce & Gabbana and red hot lips for her 90s cover.

Click on their names above to read their interviews.

Credit: W Magazine and Steven Klein

Sophia Bush In Katharine Kidd - Rape Treatment Center Fundraiser Honouring Norman Lear

Sophia Bush In Katharine Kidd – Rape Treatment Center Fundraiser Honouring Norman Lear

Rihanna's Tom Ford Over The Knee Anaconda Boots

Rihanna’s Tom Ford Over The Knee Anaconda Boots

16 Responses to Keira Knightley, Mia Wasikowska, Rooney Mara & Scarlett Johansson For W’s 40th Anniversary Covers

1. Zissou October 15, 2012 at 18:19 #

Words can not express how much I adore Kiera’s cover. Now, I absolutely do not want to see her go blonde, but for a cover, it’s amazing.

2. mimmi October 15, 2012 at 18:22 #

WOW! LOVE IT! Such strong, graphic portraits. And what a transformation for each one. Especially love Scarlett. Haunting and gorgeous!

• Beta October 16, 2012 at 10:13 #

yes!! love it! scarlett looks unrecognizable!

3. Victoria October 15, 2012 at 18:42 #

Surprisingly (for me) the most striking one is Mia. I would like to see her in an edgy role with a look like this.

4. Shauna October 15, 2012 at 18:49 #

I love the concepts behind these covers! The look cool and modern, even though they represent past decades. But with that said, I do wish they had shown a little diversity with their cover subjects and perhaps they should have used true supermodels from those decades.

5. Elle October 15, 2012 at 19:51 #

Is it me or are they ALL wearing the same lip color? Very striking!! Scarlett’s is especially and I can hardly recognize Mia. Keira looks very mature, my least favorite though. Rooney looks like an odd fashion creature with the way they did her eyelids and not in a good way.

6. Director October 15, 2012 at 19:51 #

Scarlett is natural in this!:))) Love Keira’s cover too!

7. Kathy October 15, 2012 at 20:14 #

To me, the channeling-the-decades concept is a little overdone, but they’re beautiful covers nonetheless. Mia’s is my favorite, I love the rich colors and the sharp angles of her face. Scarlett’s hair is borderline grotesque, but I suppose that’s the look they were going for.

8. honeythief October 15, 2012 at 20:25 #

in LOVE with Scarlett’s cover!!

9. LLy October 15, 2012 at 22:40 #

Mia 4ever! :) Another Aussie is in a magazine cover this month bth. Kidman is on US HB.

10. Naomie October 15, 2012 at 22:52 #

I have to say I like non of these covers. They seem flat, outdated, the color scheme is a bit depressing and wouldn’t catch my eye one the stands.
    The hair and make-up do no justice to these beautiful ladies,and their expression make them seem indifferent and lifeless.

• Mick October 16, 2012 at 09:08 #

Exactly! I thought I was the only one not liking the covers. Also, I agree that the concept is something we’ve seen so many times before. But I have to say I enjoyed the interviews

11. Christine October 16, 2012 at 02:33 #

I like Mia and Scarlett’s covers the most! Talk about transformational!

12. Manuel October 16, 2012 at 07:56 #

Rooney og Mia are my favs

13. Ahot October 16, 2012 at 08:18 #

Keira┬┤s is the best done (striking features), & the others are okay. But Scarlett – Um no. Cruella wants her look back, & the nose-ring makes her look like Pinocchio

14. EmmaWoodhouse October 18, 2012 at 13:16 #

Keira owns this cover for me! :)