Karolina Kurkova In Valentino Couture – 2012 New York City Ballet Fall Gala

With all these capes on the red carpet at the 2012 New York City Ballet Fall Gala, held at the David H. Koch Theater, Lincoln Center, yesterday evening, you would think this event was hosted by André Leon Talley, not Valentino.

Karolina Kurkova worked a Valentino red Couture gown from the Fall 2012 collection as only a supermodel could, but I can’t help but think this gown should’ve gone to Sarah Jessica Parker, as the petite actress loves a big dramatic red gown, but then she has done this look before.

The supermodel styled her look with silver pumps and emerald drop earrings.

With her fresh-faced makeup, she completed her look with a centre-parted hairstyle swept off her shoulders.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kate Upton's Michael Kors Asymmetrical Panel Dress

Kate Upton’s Michael Kors Asymmetrical Panel Dress

Jessica Pare In Jason Wu - The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Writer Nominees' 64th Primetime Emmy Awards Reception

Jessica Pare In Jason Wu – The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Writer Nominees’ 64th Primetime Emmy Awards Reception

18 Responses to Karolina Kurkova In Valentino Couture – 2012 New York City Ballet Fall Gala

1. EmmaWoodhouse September 21, 2012 at 15:01 #

I immediately thought of SJP’s legendary GVB dress, and in comparision, this doesn’t cut it for me. The weird opaque/sheer dress is kind of sloppy looking. I do like the cape,though.

2. Alina September 21, 2012 at 15:05 #

This dress just isn’t her style.

3. Yeliz September 21, 2012 at 15:33 #

I don’t like it, she looks like Red Riding Hood.

• admmgz September 21, 2012 at 15:51 #

• Moxie September 21, 2012 at 19:41 #

• Christine September 22, 2012 at 13:57 #

LOL

4. gabis September 21, 2012 at 15:36 #

Now does Karolina Kurkova love a dramatic look or what? I love her attitude, the dress may not be the best -the sheer long sleeves and sheer panel on the skirt are quite off specially when combined with the cape- but she’s rocking it. I also LOVE her hair, makeup and earrings. Truly flawless. The silver pumps were a horrendous choice though.

5. carolina September 21, 2012 at 16:13 #

It’s the dress. It’s just too much fabric. I’m not sure anyone could carry it off with this cut – certainly not sjp, as the voluminous fabric was my beef with her look as well. Also, I agree that the gratuitous sheer panel is completely unnecessary.

6. Linda September 21, 2012 at 16:13 #

Does anyone else think the hair is way to casual for this gown? I think the model’s bun works a lot better.

7. sammy September 21, 2012 at 16:18 #

This looks AMAZING on the runway…on Karolina Kurkova it looks unflattering and a lil costumey

8. Jeremy September 21, 2012 at 17:09 #

I think it’s literally show-stopping. breathtaking. i agree that the hair could’ve been pulled up into a gorgeous bun. but other than that – she looks incredible. and yes, KK does seem to love a dramatic red carpet appearance. haha. this is no exception!

i don’t understand the comment by sammy about it being “unflattering” as compared to the runwway. i mean, if you scroll up the page and compare the 2, wwwithouth looking at the face, they look essentially identical. so that makes no sense.

9. TeaAtTwo September 21, 2012 at 17:36 #

She looks great but I wish she’d worn her up to emphasise the drama of the look.

10. Joy September 21, 2012 at 17:39 #

God I love her. I’m always so happy to see her because I know she will look stunning. Absolutely stunning.

FC, I was in London last week for the first time. What a wonderful city! And Harrods, I think I died. Seriously the BEST store. I kept walking around thinking I wasn’t worthy to see such sites. I did make a purchase on the first floor purses. Yay for me!!!

11. Nat39 September 21, 2012 at 17:47 #

Not a fan of the outfit (not even Karolina can pull it off for me) or her styling – the silver pumps stick out like a sore thumb, a matching red or gold sandal would’ve been better, not a fan of the hairstyle or her choice of statement earrings either.

12. sammy September 21, 2012 at 18:15 #

in responce to jeremy: yes, if u cut off the face it looks almost identical but on the runway it looks more “complete” and pulled together, whereas on karolina it looks like she just put the dress on and it all ended there and as a result she looked like shes dressed up as lil red riding hood

13. Jones19 September 21, 2012 at 22:42 #

I love this gown and the cape but I don’t feel Karolina is doing it justice. I would have liked her hair up and more dramatic makeup.

14. Parvati September 22, 2012 at 00:11 #

I immediately thought of Sarah Jessica Parker’s look, when I saw Karolina Kurkova’s photos. She pulls off the look, too.

15. JD September 24, 2012 at 10:21 #